Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I started playing a new game and got through Soul Master before I remembered how I beat Watcher Knights: Desolate Dive/Descending Dark. It's not a large detour after the Crystal Dash to get the upgrade for DD, and I don't think anyone here is planning to be on the SGDQ stage running Hollow Knight in a few months.

The Knights tend to group up when pounding your little buggy face in, or one stands still while the other one thinks it's clever and charges at you. With some practice you can abuse the invincibility frames on the ground slam and deal tons of damage to two of them at once.

Also make sure you're remembering to access the secret area before the fight. Look it up if you missed that on your vanilla playthrough(s).

PS: It took me 1h27m to get to the safety save bench again after Soul Master, and the guide indicates I should be around 50m if I wanted the 3-hour run. I don't think I'm gonna make it, boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

goons freakin' out because a boss has two forms.... smdh you guys never play a final fantasy or somethin'?

I mean, I think nearly every single boss in this game gets harder partway through.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

gently caress me The Radiance has a second stage, this is Sister Friede all over again.

Yeah but unlike Friede the Radiance is actually a good fight.

Also even with all the stuff added in DLC I still find her to be the hardest boss, which is appropriate. The only boss that gave me more trouble was +10 Zote but that doesn't really count.

Mymla posted:

I mean, I think nearly every single boss in this game gets harder partway through.

There are a few that don't but they are definitely the low effort bosses, like Flukemarm and Uumuu.

I absolutely loathe how the Souls series has developed a need for every single boss to have multiple phases but I don't mind it in Hollow Knight. The phases in HK are always building off the previous one, enhancing the bosses moveset rather than throwing a completely new fight at you. It also doesn't feel shoehorned in like it did with a lot of DS3 bosses.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I really hope that Gods and Glory implements the Hornet story, as that was an accomplished stretch goal, and Team Cherry are hinting that G+G will be the last update.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
My understanding was, Gods and Glory will be the last *free* update. Hornet stuff is likely to be dlc.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

I really hope that Gods and Glory implements the Hornet story, as that was an accomplished stretch goal, and Team Cherry are hinting that G+G will be the last update.

Same, but I think it's more likely that GaG is the last update to the base game, and hornet is a standalone thing.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Thanks for the advice, guys. Honestly though I'm at the point where I think I might do another run and get Shade Cloak before I deal with the watchers, based off how this one went I have plenty of time.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
For shade cloak you need to first pull off the "pogo off an enemy" trick to get to king's brand, which I consider significantly harder than the pogo you need to get to Watchers, then you need to fight Hornet 2 which is also fairly hard, then the detour into abyss. I think I'd recommend just practicing watchers more.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I have the Monarch Wings and Crystal Dash.

e: It took me 3 and a half hours to get all the movement abilities (not counting Shade Cloak, obviously) and take out the other two dreamers, so, plenty of time, unless I find that I'm having just as much trouble against Hornet.

fractalairduct fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 5, 2018

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Oh ok, if you're on that tempo, you should have plenty of time before the 5 hour mark. Hornet is also significantly easier with double jump. There miiiight be value in detouring for quick slash while you're in that area, it's close to hornet if I recall?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dancer posted:

My understanding was, Gods and Glory will be the last *free* update. Hornet stuff is likely to be dlc.

that's exactly it

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Any word on GaG? I've been waiting for all the freeLC to come out before I start playing.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
No. If it was imminent I suspect they would’ve just rolled the recent changes into it instead of releasing it separate, so I would guess it is at least a month from now.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

They said Gods and Glory would come out shortly after the switch version of the game did.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dancer posted:

That was the plan, but this Lifeblood update means that they're willing to do updates outside of the "Three free DLC plus paid Hornet" so at this point who knows?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
To be fair, even though new hive boss & actually relevant traitor lord is actually new content, this last update is not exactly "DLC scale".

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean completely reworking the lighting and changing a bunch of animations, sound effects and also minor boss tweaks is a pretty significant update.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Fair enough, I was being ignorant. This update didn't feel large enough in scale to trigger a re-install, given that Gods and Glory should be coming soon, so I misjudged how much it included.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also Hornet's theme came up on my general listening playlist and I just want to reiterate that Christopher Larkin is a fantastic composer.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i died at the end of the path of pain and i hate all of you

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

not sure what these two facts have to do with each other but cool

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

i died at the end of the path of pain and i hate all of you

just joking, I did the same thing :pram: I felt a lot better when someone in this thread reminded me that you unlock a shortcut near the end, so at least you don't have to start over from the beginning.

SirSamVimes posted:

Also Hornet's theme came up on my general listening playlist and I just want to reiterate that Christopher Larkin is a fantastic composer.
I'm watching a let's play now and despite having played Hollow Knight so recently I get this almost nostalgic feeling in every area once the music kicks in. God drat the music is so ridiculously good in this game :qq:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don’t remember opening up a shortcut so i don’t rule out i managed to miss it somehow but the hope of having one has soothed the raging turmoil in my soul

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

City of Tears has a home on my favorites playlist, it's just beautiful to listen to.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Your Computer posted:

I'm watching a let's play now and despite having played Hollow Knight so recently I get this almost nostalgic feeling in every area once the music kicks in. God drat the music is so ridiculously good in this game :qq:

I finally caved and bought the soundtrack last night because I'm a huge goober who buys video game music. It's an extremely good soundtrack!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The soundtrack is good but like most video game soundtracks I've bought I'm annoyed that it doesn't actually contain all the songs in the base game. Also it doesn't seem like they are going to update it to include all the tracks added with DLC.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Wtf, this new trailer has been out a week, and I wasn't yet aware of it. You disappoint me, thread.

https://youtu.be/DOt-CLCuJUY

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dancer posted:

Wtf, this new trailer has been out a week, and I wasn't yet aware of it. You disappoint me, thread.

It's fake. :ssh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I'm screaming. Don't even joke about something like this :gonk:

Dancer
May 23, 2011

(yes I know, why you gotta spoil it)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

The soundtrack is good but like most video game soundtracks I've bought I'm annoyed that it doesn't actually contain all the songs in the base game. Also it doesn't seem like they are going to update it to include all the tracks added with DLC.

That's true. Video game soundtracks why do you keep doing this!? :argh:

At least Hollow Knight is easy to rip the music from manually, which I did for a couple of tracks (particularly the climb out of the abyss/path of pain music because :tviv: that track)

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm screaming. Don't even joke about something like this :gonk:

https://giphy.com/gifs/1YcEjcn4pTj0M0Y8tU/html5

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TBH that just looks like normal White Palace to me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

This bugs me too but like you said it's pretty standard, as evidenced by the three Shovel Knight soundtracks that I've bought so far :v:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really hope they do add in the DLC songs, I love White Defender, Grimm/Nightmare King and Hive Knight.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Dancer posted:

Ok this got me

Lmao

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

I really hope they do add in the DLC songs, I love White Defender, Grimm/Nightmare King and Hive Knight.

You can at least get White Defender(and Truth, Beauty and Hatred) legit at Larkin's Bandcamp site.

https://christopherlarkin.bandcamp.com/album/hidden-dreams

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lurkman posted:

You can at least get White Defender(and Truth, Beauty and Hatred) legit at Larkin's Bandcamp site.

https://christopherlarkin.bandcamp.com/album/hidden-dreams

I want them on Spotify though. :argh:

Also, here's a list of the known Lifeblood changes.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/367520/discussions/0/1698294337790250989/

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

This loving game. I picked it up... last week? Whenever it was on sale on steam. It seemed like a pretty decent Metroidvania and a decent challenge but my god am I ever having difficulties keeping up. I know I'm horribly ignorant of what is to come, but the third Hornet fight is just kicking my rear end entirely. Liking it a hell of a lot.

Also, how long is the Trial of the Warrior (2nd one)? I was up to the point where I had two giant, green balloon bugs and bit it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kalsco posted:

This loving game. I picked it up... last week? Whenever it was on sale on steam. It seemed like a pretty decent Metroidvania and a decent challenge but my god am I ever having difficulties keeping up. I know I'm horribly ignorant of what is to come, but the third Hornet fight is just kicking my rear end entirely. Liking it a hell of a lot.

Also, how long is the Trial of the Warrior (2nd one)? I was up to the point where I had two giant, green balloon bugs and bit it there.

That was the final boss of the trial.