Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Is there a name for when the tub in your apartment starts getting those "patchy areas", like whatever they layered over it is flaking off? I've never seen it happen on a tub in a home, just in apartments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

RedMagus posted:

Is there a name for when the tub in your apartment starts getting those "patchy areas", like whatever they layered over it is flaking off? I've never seen it happen on a tub in a home, just in apartments.

Mine has that by the drain. I'd just call it "damage". It's the ceramic, or plastic, or whatever chipping off of the underlying metal.

Anyway, I'm moving in six weeks :v:
The first place I applied at is missing out, because it's now been over a week and they're still fussing with my background check because their property manager is apparently the Goddamn Batman. Their loss, I got approved for arguably a nicer place, with lower rent, like basically the same day I applied this past weekend. I'm heading over there after work tonight to take measurements, because whoever uploaded the floor plans to their website was clearly drunk.

We've got one room that's listed as 13'16" wide, and the smaller bedroom is listed as being 29' long, next to another room of about equal length that says 18'. If I take the somewhat consistent widths of rooms on the first and second floor to be accurate, then the apartment is 22' wide. If that's the case, then the scale of the floorplan in ratio makes the unit 25' tall. In other words, the 29' room is patently impossible.

So I'm going in with my tape measure before I think about furniture shopping, but my current attempt to create a scale drawing on grid paper seems to match up with the provided approximate dimensions of 11'x18' in the living room.
Other than that, it's nice. Central heating and cooling, dishwasher and disposal, washer/dryer in the unit. The complex has a pool that I will use, and a tennis court that I won't use :btroll:, and gives me like 3 guest parking passes that I can hand out to my friends when they come over to play nerd games with me.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
In homes, you replace the tub every 50 years, so it's less likely to happen.

I don't know if there's a term for it, but once you get a chip in the ceramic coating on the tub, it starts wearing away around that chip, eventually reaching the cast iron below it, then turning to rust, and eventually you fall through when you step on it.

You can apply an epoxy coating over it which is supposed to last a few years, which in reality lasts a few months, however it's good long enough to (a) get a new tenant to move in or (b) get your deposit back from your landlord, depending on what position you occupy in the real estate game.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

RedMagus posted:

The reason you only see it in cheap apartments is because cheap landlords are usually the only ones who use the epoxy coatings. If you have a nice vintage tub that's worth restoring you would use a resin coating, but the price of that process and the professional to apply it surpasses the price of a new tub so it's not going to happen in an apartment.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

hailthefish posted:

Photomikey is our resident landlords' rights advocate and even he thinks you're being dumb.
All I'm seeing from photomikey is "you should improve your apartment in such a way that it benefits your landlord and s/he gets to keep your deposits!"

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I would not recommend painting, or putting in new flooring in an apartment you are renting. There are some easy to do things that can improve your apartment and have less risk of losing your deposit or worse. Area rugs, blackout curtains help make the apartment seem warmer/cooler and help with noise too. Curved shower curtain rod, shower organizer, both make your shower seem much bigger. Floor mirrors can make the apartment appear larger and along with lighting can change the look of a room for the better.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The concept is that these upgrades are all removable. You take your fancy showerhead or whatever to your next apartment. The landlord doesn't profit from your changes and doesn't keep your deposit (well he prob will anyway tbh)

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

All I'm seeing from photomikey is "you should improve your apartment in such a way that it benefits your landlord and s/he gets to keep your deposits!"

You wouldn't think it to be such a tough concept, but here we are.

You and I disagree on a lot of things, but I respect your consistency in sticking it to the man.

Anne Whateley posted:

The concept is that these upgrades are all removable. You take your fancy showerhead or whatever to your next apartment. The landlord doesn't profit from your changes and doesn't keep your deposit (well he prob will anyway tbh)

No upgrade is removable. Anything that is installed on a persons property becomes part of their property. Like any law, this doesn't always work in practice, but you need to consider it regardless.

Also lmao at the idea of removing laminate flooring and taking it with you. HFS.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Unload My Head posted:

No upgrade is removable.

Uh, what the gently caress is this statement? This is as dumb as it is false.

I guess I have to leave my TV mount, and the shelves I installed, the various hooks and hangers I've put up, my shower curtain...

See how stupid that sounds?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My sick-rear end aftermarket showerhead has accompanied me through like 2 apartments, soon to be 3, and there's nothing Unload My Head can do to stop me :colbert:

I just screw the old one back on when I leave, it's not complicated.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I knew that's mostly true in legal theory (google "law of fixtures") but irl it basically never happens with renters, especially in these days where as you say tons of people have wall-mounted TVs. If I were moving out, I would restore the apartment to its move-in state before new prospective renters came to see it.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Also...denying yourself a good shower or decent lighting in your apartment for the length of your occupancy because a landlord might get something from it seems like the most shortsighted decision.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I put all LED lighting in my last apartment and stored the lovely CF bulbs in a closet and then put them all back in before I left the place. If it's something like flooring, just be nice to your landlord and ask them if they'd like replacement floors in [room] and if they say yes, ask if they'll pay for the flooring or give you credit in rent with receipts. I've never had a landlord be a dick about that. if they say no, they say no, but I'll spend a little time/effort in really loving my apartment, especially since I've lived in rentals for longer than my parents owned houses.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Showerhead installation is fine, comparable to changing a light bulb.

Laying vinyl across the kitchen, or repainting walls, though? That's a little different.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

Uh, what the gently caress is this statement? This is as dumb as it is false.

I guess I have to leave my TV mount, and the shelves I installed, the various hooks and hangers I've put up, my shower curtain...

See how stupid that sounds?

I always enjoy people who try to debate the existence of a given law or legal precedent by saying "It sounds dumb". Lots of poo poo in this society is dumb. Lots of laws are dumb. Doesn't make them non-existent. Doesn't make them unenforceable. Read up on fixture law and be informed.

Thanatosian posted:

Showerhead installation is fine, comparable to changing a light bulb.

Laying vinyl across the kitchen, or repainting walls, though? That's a little different.

Shower head installation is something that realistically cannot be screwed up, FWIW. Even if it leaks, it will leak into the shower or tub so NBD. It's also not practically (but legally) going to be a fixture issue because it's removal is quick and easy, and there's no way for there to be any proof it was there, unlike shelves, TV mounts, an entire floor, ect.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If your landlord is a huge rear end in a top hat who will go looking inch by inch for caulked and painted-over tiny holes and try to prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law for hanging a shelf, don't hang a shelf.

If your landlord isn't the world's biggest rear end in a top hat, you can probably chill.

Out of curiosity, Unload My Head, do you have any art on your walls or is that a privilege that belongs solely to owners?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The art isn't the fixture, the nail is the fixture. You can take the art back.

I do love how he stands by the law, and then immediately makes an exception because a showerhead is "quick and easy".

"But your honor, this showerhead falls under the "quick and easy" exemption of the fixture law..."

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Unload My Head posted:

I always enjoy people who try to debate the existence of a given law or legal precedent by saying "It sounds dumb". Lots of poo poo in this society is dumb. Lots of laws are dumb. Doesn't make them non-existent. Doesn't make them unenforceable. Read up on fixture law and be informed.

A quick Wikipedia search on fixture law gives me only this:

"The law regarding fixtures can also cause many problems with property held under a lease. Fixtures put in place by the tenant belong to the landlord if the tenant is evicted from the property. This is the case even if the fixture could have legally been removed by the tenant while the lease was in good standing. For example, a chandelier hung by the tenant may become the property of the landlord. Although this example is trivial, there have been cases where heavy equipment incorporated into a plant has been deemed to have become fixtures even though it was sold as chattels."

I don't think we're talking about getting evicted, so maybe you should read up on fixture law a bit more and be informed.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I measured the rooms in the apartment I'm moving into. Some of the dimensions from the floor plan are *almost* accurate. The living room is, indeed, 18 feet long... if you count the area that the front door and stairs take up. The actual usable area is like 13ft x 13ft, plus a little alcove where I'm gonna put my desk. This sounds kinda big, but leaving clearance to get to the balcony door and dining room narrows it down.

Still enough room for one fairly large couch and some accents, so I'm not real bummed about it. I can always double dip later if all the furniture gets delivered and I see there's actually still room for like an armchair. The goal is to have enough seating for all my friends to hang out and play video games.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My roommates have ripped up carpet and restored the underlying hardwood floors at my current place (before I moved in) and their last place. They get landlord permission first, of course, and have carpentry/handyman experience that probably makes convincing the owner easier to do. But it ends up being a great upgrade for very little money, mostly a bunch of sweat and dust (a LOT of sweat and dust) plus some rental fees for a huge sander that the landlord pays for.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

I measured the rooms in the apartment I'm moving into. Some of the dimensions from the floor plan are *almost* accurate. The living room is, indeed, 18 feet long... if you count the area that the front door and stairs take up. The actual usable area is like 13ft x 13ft, plus a little alcove where I'm gonna put my desk. This sounds kinda big, but leaving clearance to get to the balcony door and dining room narrows it down.

Still enough room for one fairly large couch and some accents, so I'm not real bummed about it. I can always double dip later if all the furniture gets delivered and I see there's actually still room for like an armchair. The goal is to have enough seating for all my friends to hang out and play video games.
Any measurements given for room/home size in a rental ad are roughly as true as fraudulent voting numbers cited by Republicans.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I'm moving into my first apartment on Saturday and I'm having a difficult time figuring out how I want to arrange my furniture (that I haven't bought yet). All I'm bringing with me is my TV, Ikea Galant desk, and a queen-sized bed so those are the only exact measurements I have at the moment.

Here's an album with approximate floorplans (red lines are where the windows are located, blue dots are where the wall outlets are for the living room, and green squiggly is where the cable/internet is unfortunately located) and quick pictures of the living/bedroom to better get an idea of how it looks.

Any advice would help out a ton
https://imgur.com/a/nbwod

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Imo that dresser directly in the bedroom walking path is going to drive you nuts. I would rotate the bed 90° and try to get the dresser in the bottom right corner to keep that path clear.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Imo that dresser directly in the bedroom walking path is going to drive you nuts. I would rotate the bed 90° and try to get the dresser in the bottom right corner to keep that path clear.

that rectangle in the bedroom isnt a dresser it's a computer desk

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Whether it's a dresser, computer desk, or crystal charging altar, it's still directly in the walking path. If it's a computer desk, I would throw it in the living room, but either way it's gonna drive you nuts where it is.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Yeah, that's gonna drive you nuts. Have you considered rotating the couch with its back against the window and having the TV and desk back to back? That way they can be on the same power strip at that outlet and you have a bit more space. I had a layout like that when I had a studio and it worked well for me.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

horchata posted:

I'm moving into my first apartment on Saturday and I'm having a difficult time figuring out how I want to arrange my furniture (that I haven't bought yet). All I'm bringing with me is my TV, Ikea Galant desk, and a queen-sized bed so those are the only exact measurements I have at the moment.

Here's an album with approximate floorplans (red lines are where the windows are located, blue dots are where the wall outlets are for the living room, and green squiggly is where the cable/internet is unfortunately located) and quick pictures of the living/bedroom to better get an idea of how it looks.

Any advice would help out a ton
https://imgur.com/a/nbwod

That's a pretty nice first apartment! Congratulations.

Yeah, that desk will probably drive you nuts like other goons are saying. I'd find a way to get it into the bottom right corner, there.

Is that living room furniture going to be there, too? The armchair or whatever might be a bit much, for similar reasons. I don't see a table there, so I assume you'll be dodging that chair with food in your hand all the time.

Desk suggestion, based on where the coaxial cable is: Move it out next to the TV, invest $20 in an HDMI splitter. Now you can pipe PC games to the big TV. Also you can be on the wired network without running an ethernet cable across your whole place.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

That's a pretty nice first apartment! Congratulations.

Yeah, that desk will probably drive you nuts like other goons are saying. I'd find a way to get it into the bottom right corner, there.

Is that living room furniture going to be there, too? The armchair or whatever might be a bit much, for similar reasons. I don't see a table there, so I assume you'll be dodging that chair with food in your hand all the time.

Desk suggestion, based on where the coaxial cable is: Move it out next to the TV, invest $20 in an HDMI splitter. Now you can pipe PC games to the big TV. Also you can be on the wired network without running an ethernet cable across your whole place.

I just put the couch there as a place holder, the only furniture I have are the desk, tv, and bed so nothing is set in stone except those things.

I could try getting a loveseat instead of a sofa so I can fit the desk on the bottom right. I would just prefer not to block the only window at the living room, this place doesn't have AC and I might be forced to buy one once summer hits.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

horchata posted:

I just put the couch there as a place holder, the only furniture I have are the desk, tv, and bed so nothing is set in stone except those things.

I could try getting a loveseat instead of a sofa so I can fit the desk on the bottom right. I would just prefer not to block the only window at the living room, this place doesn't have AC and I might be forced to buy one once summer hits.

Oh when I said bottom right, that was for if it has to stay in the bedroom. If you're putting it out in the living room, then the world is your oyster. I'd put it someplace where it's easy to just run the ethernet/hdmi/etc along a single wall, though.

Stank
Feb 14, 2018

ASK ME TO LINK THE POST THAT GOT ME BANNED FROM REDDIT!!!
Give me your favorite design blogs! Particularly for urban living/millenial aesthetics.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
We have a large window in our bedroom that we'd like to get a stained/frosted glass effect on, so we can have the benefit of sunlight but also the benefit of nudity.

We haven't found any of the vinyl cling options we like, and actual glass panels feel unsafe with our cats. Any other apartment-friendly options?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What do you dislike about the vinyl clings? I have one that's worked really well.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I meant aesthetically, we haven't found one we've really loved. I keep checking online every so often. I know conceptually they work great, I just haven't found the perfect color/pattern.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Vinyl clings are really your best bet, unless you're willing to consider light curtains or honeycomb blinds that pull up from the bottom (so the gap is at the top of the window)? Those are good for letting in light

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Some of the stained-glass patterns can definitely be a lot, but there are also colorless textured patterns and also just completely plain frost. The internet has a lot more choices than Home Depot.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
The vinyl cling film I bought didn't really cling and fell off. Didn't find any way to 'recharge' it.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
The old school way is just to stick it on with a microscopic layer of Vaseline

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Yeah, there's really no shortage of vinyl clings online, and they're the best option for cats. You can buy a solid white vinyl cling online if you want to keep it simple. I own my house now and my bathroom windows are actually frosted, but I still have vinyl clings in my bedroom and they're great. I had a vine pattern in my old apartment and a bamboo pattern now. The colorful options might be a bit much but the white options (with or without patterns) don't stand out a ton.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
What’s a good bed frame (queen-cal king sized) that won’t constantly make a ton of noise? I’m a tall/muscular person that also tends to date tall/muscular people, the issue is that I live in an SF railroad flat with other units surrounding me entirely. I can hear the people next door fart in their sleep, cats scurrying around upstairs, etc. I know nothing will ever be silent, but the most quiet would be great. On top of being single and enjoying mingling, I’m also tired of waking myself up every time I shift in my sleep. Ideally, I want a platform bed that I can continue to store things under (SF, lol) but Captains bed could work. I struggle with quality sleep and would like to have a decent sex life without infuriating everyone around me, so silence is golden.

E: also, willing to spend decent money on something great but not some techie douche so no hurrrrrrrr here’s some magic bed that’s 5k please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Room & Board's all-steel beds. Some come in tall versions for lots of storage underneath.

Be aware that if you have a wooden boxspring, that can still make a ton of noise.