Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Voltage posted:

No it is still pre tax, I gotta pay new york state tax when I register it.

I actually am back and forth now with a local dealer on another RS but this one has the RS2 package but still blue with forged wheels. They advertised 33,300 (on 41k msrp) but the color of the listed car doesn't match the window sticker etc, so I suspect some fuckery afoot.

Go out the VIN in here and that will answer the question of fuckery perhaps.

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=bpl0ojo0FmxxHywPTIBmYWoRUs-6aODbc7YgopOB.fcvas1901k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

MarsellusWallace posted:

Also, depending on the motor/vehicle you may want to avoid running the engine at a nearly fixed RPM for long periods of time tight out of the gate.

yeah trying to do that while road tripping would be pretty lame.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Anyone ever accidentally use garlic salt instead of garlic powder in a recipe?

I loving knew I was being so careful ordering shifter base bushings for my FoST, I triple checked and everything. Then I switched windows to order them from ebay instead. Ordered shifter bracket bushings on accident. Didn't notice when they arrived. Didn't notice when I took them out of the package. Noticed when I tried to drop the first one into the shifter base after tearing apart the interior. Dangit.

What's crazy is I already did the cable bracket bushings a couple of years ago, so I knew about the existence of both types and was trying to be super careful with ordering. Once I assumed I had ordered the right thing, because I was super careful you see, expectation bias took over and held on until the last possible second.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 5, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
My understanding is that the RS reduces boost for the first thousand miles anyways. Just downshift from 6th to 4th occasionally on the freeway to feel the braps and youll be fine. Its not like you werent already going to do that.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Going to go test drive the RS after work, because uhh, probably shouldn't buy a car without testing it. Also checking out a golf R and GTi because I already have a jetta lease now, and I really should do at least a little comparison shopping.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Voltage posted:

Going to go test drive the RS after work, because uhh, probably shouldn't buy a car without testing it. Also checking out a golf R and GTi because I already have a jetta lease now, and I really should do at least a little comparison shopping.

If you really want to know what the RS is capable of do the following:

Warm it up so that the oil temp gauge on the center cluster is reading at least 150+

Put it into track mode.

Press the suspension mode button on the end of the turn signal stalk so that the suspension goes back to normal mode.

This is the “secret” fifth driving mode. Proceed to hoon the crap out of it once it is sufficiently warmed up. Play with the launch control if you want. The best part about the RS are corners. Depending on what rubber it is wearing and the road conditions and temperature you can go around corners at some hilariously crazy speeds.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Huge_Midget posted:

If you really want to know what the RS is capable of do the following:

Warm it up so that the oil temp gauge on the center cluster is reading at least 150+

Put it into track mode.

Press the suspension mode button on the end of the turn signal stalk so that the suspension goes back to normal mode.

This is the “secret” fifth driving mode. Proceed to hoon the crap out of it once it is sufficiently warmed up. Play with the launch control if you want. The best part about the RS are corners. Depending on what rubber it is wearing and the road conditions and temperature you can go around corners at some hilariously crazy speeds.

Cup 2s let me do 55mph freeway cloverleafs around 80-85 with no tire squeal. I'm still a bit timid to push it past that.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Seems like the RS has just scary high limits that can't even be approached on the street.

But you better appreciate the performance since on the inside it's just a Focus with blue stitching...still an amazing car regardless.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's got AIDS that save most people, or at least allows them to find themselves going a shitload faster than they realized when they inevitably run out of talent.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 5, 2018

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

xsf421 posted:

Cup 2s let me do 55mph freeway cloverleafs around 80-85 with no tire squeal. I'm still a bit timid to push it past that.

Yeah the Cup 2s are loving black magic. Those tires are capable of cornering speeds that are straight up scary af. I took a 90 degree right hander at 40 mph with nary a peep from them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Keep in mind that as you move up the tire grip ladder they get quieter and the margin between slip angle and letting go gets a lot smaller...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There's a red RS at the Ford dealer here. It's a pretty decent red. I don't care for the blue RS accents and stitching on it, but that's minor stuff. They have a $5k markup on it. Get the gently caress out of here with that poo poo.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
So I just drove a golf R manual, GTI dsg, and then then the focus RS.

The Golf R was nice, comfy, cool digital cockpit, felt pretty quick, but honestly felt a lot like my jetta with the boost turned up. Gti was more raw and honestly more fun and barely felt down on power from the R.

The RS? Made the VW's feel like Priuses. An absolute monster, easily the most fun I've ever had on a test drive. Feels like my old fiesta st but everything turned to 11. loving amazing car and im buying it.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Voltage posted:

The Golf R was nice, comfy, cool digital cockpit, felt pretty quick, but honestly felt a lot like my jetta with the boost turned up. Gti was more raw and honestly more fun and barely felt down on power from the R.

The RS? Made the VW's feel like Priuses. An absolute monster, easily the most fun I've ever had on a test drive. Feels like my old fiesta st but everything turned to 11. loving amazing car and im buying it.

Gonna be me in a couple days but just a brokeass Focus ST and a GTI.

Also dealerships own. I got quoted a higher price for a focus than they had posted on their own drat site :laffo:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Marxalot posted:

Gonna be me in a couple days but just a brokeass Focus ST and a GTI.

Also dealerships own. I got quoted a higher price for a focus than they had posted on their own drat site :laffo:

Yeah, that poo poo always happens. Gotta come in with financing and realistic numbers lined up, then be willing to take a poo poo in the lobby to get the car... or be willing to walk and find another dealer. Or deal with the internet sales rep only, but good luck with that.

If you come in without financing and not having done the math, well, prepare the anus. Dipshits at a local Honda dealer tried to sell me a used Fit for over MSRP of a new one, so I bought a used Fiesta ST.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 6, 2018

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Voltage posted:

Get a custom tune on it and it truly becomes a beast. Embarrassing Camaros and Mustangs never gets old.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Keep in mind that as you move up the tire grip ladder they get quieter and the margin between slip angle and letting go gets a lot smaller...

This seems opposite of what I've found? Autocross only tires seem really predictable compared to street tires.

How is the RS in autocross now? I just remember two showing up and being terrible on the pilot cup tires.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just want to say both "gently caress you" and "congratulations" to the guy that found a loaded RS for $4k less than I did. You'll love everything about it except the ride and everything about the interior - and those will seem more like endearing quirks instead of actual flaws when you drive it. The seats will feel REALLY tight if you're not stick-thin, but they'll break in nicely.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Christobevii3 posted:

This seems opposite of what I've found? Autocross only tires seem really predictable compared to street tires.

How is the RS in autocross now? I just remember two showing up and being terrible on the pilot cup tires.

Define autocross and street tires, but ignore the RE71R, they behave more like an r-comp and have very small windows of getting right. They are quicker than something like a RA1, RC1, NT01, etc if you can hit that window.
Also, I know nothing of autocross, but I'm going to guess you don't get much sustained cornering grip time where you get to seriously feel what the tire is doing.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 6, 2018

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

KillHour posted:

I just want to say both "gently caress you" and "congratulations" to the guy that found a loaded RS for $4k less than I did. You'll love everything about it except the ride and everything about the interior - and those will seem more like endearing quirks instead of actual flaws when you drive it. The seats will feel REALLY tight if you're not stick-thin, but they'll break in nicely.

Haha thanks - yeah I had a fiesta st with recaros and they were super tight like the RS seats but broke in perfectly. And yeah the interior isn't the best but really nothing touches the price to performance ratio so I can live with it. - at least it has Android auto and good speakers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Voltage posted:

good speakers.

eeeeehhhhhhh...

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

KillHour posted:

eeeeehhhhhhh...

Mine are sound much better than when I bought mine after the latest Sync3 upgrade and using android auto.

Installed the Euro console in mine today. Sooo worth it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's pretty neat!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
New tyre day for the FiST! Dunlop RE003s if you guys get them where you are. In Aus at least they seem to be the go-to among the FiST set.

I've got some Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s lined up in a couple of months when a guy I know is ready to sell, too. Looking forward to that! In Bronze, +38mm offset so should fill the guards a bit more nicely.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
We get the RE003 under the label Firehawk 500 :) They are pretty good

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm sorry I missed chiming in but I would have said to go to Alabama just to avoid the poo poo power seats in the RS2 package. I can't fit with my loving helmet now without heavily loving with my preferred seating position.

Also this is my red as gently caress car.

The LSD is strange it sort of lugs at low speed sometimes. It was working properly at auto-x a few weeks ago once the tires got warm(30* autox is miserable btw). I'll be at Limerock next week so I should be able to report back more.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Looks amazing!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Looks so much angrier in red. Very nice.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Didn’t you have a gray wrap?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Etrips posted:

Didn’t you have a gray wrap?

That was my 2016 it’s gone now.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

We get the RE003 under the label Firehawk 500 :) They are pretty good

Pretty much the perfect daily tire imo. Cheap af too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm also a fan of the Firehawk Indy 500s. They seem to spin a bit more when cold than the stock RE050s on my FiST but once warmed out outperform them in every way as far as the rear end dyno can tell.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 6, 2018

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Trying to decide between the Indy 500s or splurging on the PS4S. Ughhh

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

If you’re not hitting the track get the indy’s. Although The PS4s are so loving insane in the rain it’s remarkable.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Different application I know but I have nothing bad to say about the PS4S that came on my Mustang. As mentioned they do really well in the wet (got stuck in a torrential sideways downpour my second day with the car, no drama at all), and otherwise just have outrageous amounts of grip.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I just checked, I have enough 10w40 left over from m54 ownership just lying around that I can do 2 oil changes in the GTI lmao

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What kind of oil? Are you sure it's properly rated for VWs? 504/507?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
So I got my shifter base bushings in the FoST. It slides from 1st to 2nd like butter now. Amazing difference in the shifting. Almost clicks into gear, effortlessly.

Used the opportunity to run a stealth charger cable to my phone mount too. Messing with interior trim panels is a complete pain in the rear end. I ended up with some extra plastic clip fragments from God knows where. Everything seems snug enough so whatever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That's ok, it just means it's easier to remove them next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

The Ferret King posted:

So I got my shifter base bushings in the FoST. It slides from 1st to 2nd like butter now. Amazing difference in the shifting. Almost clicks into gear, effortlessly.

Really? I wouldn’t have thought that the base bushes make much difference, doesn’t seem that there’d be much movement there!

I’m wondering if this is worth doing in my FiST.. Shift feel is an issue for me.