Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I can't figure out a way to beat Ad Nauseam that doesn't involve a Chalice of the Void, Leyline of Sanctity/Worship, and something that can kill a Laboratory Maniac.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Does anyone have any thoughts on GW Company vs GW Devoted Druid in Modern? I've had Company built for a little while and it's alright but not super-exciting. At the same time, I've looked at some Devoted Druid lists and it looks like you can squeeze in the combo alongside the KotR/Courser/Tracker set, and I'm tempted to try it out.

Star Man posted:

I can't figure out a way to beat Ad Nauseam that doesn't involve a Chalice of the Void, Leyline of Sanctity/Worship, and something that can kill a Laboratory Maniac.

Play against a dude like I did a few weeks ago who decided to Spoils for a Swan Song after letting Through the Breach resolve, and have them try to counter your Emrakul with it.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Is this or Brewhaus the appropriate place for me to post my latest shamefully obsolete legacy deck idea for critique?

:justpost:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on GW Company vs GW Devoted Druid in Modern? I've had Company built for a little while and it's alright but not super-exciting. At the same time, I've looked at some Devoted Druid lists and it looks like you can squeeze in the combo alongside the KotR/Courser/Tracker set, and I'm tempted to try it out.

Play against a dude like I did a few weeks ago who decided to Spoils for a Swan Song after letting Through the Breach resolve, and have them try to counter your Emrakul with it.

:justpost:

Druid is good deck and has been for a while, but it plays less of a value game and more of a "kill this or lose" style of game.

I play Bant Company so it's not quite equivalent, but you're essentially trading creature quality for a more proactive gameplan. Company is better the fairer the meta gets, but Druid isn't going to get rolled or anything either.

What would be fun to try sometime in that deck is a singleton Hall of the Bandit Lord that you can fetch out with KotR for an ultra spicy meatball

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 7, 2018

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So this was kind of the first idea I had for a deck after coming back to the game. I recognize the Serra's Embraces are almost certainly a waste of time, but at the time my thinking was it would be nice to have Paladins that could attack but still be ready and available to destroy permanents.

Deck: Paladin Painters

//Lands
10 Island
10 Plains

//Spells
4 Blue Elemental Blast
4 Counterspell
4 Flash Flood
4 Grindstone
4 Serra's Embrace
4 Sleight of Mind

//Creatures
4 Northern Paladin
4 Painter's Servant
4 Southern Paladin
4 Vesuvan Doppelganger

//Sideboard
4 Disenchant

Display deck statistics

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Druid is good deck and has been for a while, but it plays less of a value game and more of a "kill this or lose" style of game.

I play Bant Company so it's not quite equivalent, but you're essentially trading creature quality for a more proactive gameplan. Company is better the fairer the meta gets, but Druid isn't going to get rolled or anything either.

What would be fun to try sometime in that deck is a singleton Hall of the Bandit Lord that you can fetch out with KotR for an ultra spicy meatball

Yeah I'm trying to settle on one or two deck archetypes and some sort of GWx KotR/Company deck is probably going to be one of them. It's just a question of how many variations I want to have on-hand (for example I have almost everything I need to run Bant Company).

Also, 4 Druid 4 Vizier 4 Chord 1 Duskwatch 1 Rhonas 1 Ballista is 15 cards. It's time to make transformational sideboards a thing again!

E: don't @ me
1 Field of Ruin
7 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Horizon Canopy
2 Misty Rainforest
1 Plains
1 Tectonic Edge
2 Temple Garden
2 Verdant Catacombs
4 Windswept Heath
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Collected Company
4 Courser of Kruphix
2 Eternal Witness
4 Knight of the Reliquary
1 Duskwatch Recruiter
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Path to Exile
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Scavenging Ooze
3 Tireless Tracker
4 Voice of Resurgence
1 Worship
//Sideboard
4 Chord of Calling
4 Devoted Druid
1 Rhonas the Indomitable
4 Vizier of Remedies
1 Walking Ballista
1 Bojuka Bog

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 7, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How necessary is Jace for Bant Company/Knightfall? I have everything for the deck except for Jace and I want to wait unyil they're at least $75 or less before I pull the trigger on them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

How necessary is Jace for Bant Company/Knightfall? I have everything for the deck except for Jace and I want to wait unyil they're at least $75 or less before I pull the trigger on them.

Not at all, there's a reasonable argument to be made Gideon, Ally of Zendikar is better for the deck in the same matchups you want Jace (the value grind).

I think the biggest difference is Jace makes it so you don't just lose forever to Ensnaring Bridge.dek

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh right, Ensnaring Bridge. Attacking through one with a lone Noble Hierarch would take too long.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

So this was kind of the first idea I had for a deck after coming back to the game. I recognize the Serra's Embraces are almost certainly a waste of time, but at the time my thinking was it would be nice to have Paladins that could attack but still be ready and available to destroy permanents.

Deck: Paladin Painters

//Lands
10 Island
10 Plains

//Spells
4 Blue Elemental Blast
4 Counterspell
4 Flash Flood
4 Grindstone
4 Serra's Embrace
4 Sleight of Mind

//Creatures
4 Northern Paladin
4 Painter's Servant
4 Southern Paladin
4 Vesuvan Doppelganger

//Sideboard
4 Disenchant

Display deck statistics

Painter's Servant + Grindstone was a legitimate combo deck in Legacy for a while but it fell out of favor a year or two ago. It ran Imperial Recruiter to tutor up combo pieces but I did manage to find a not horribly expensive mono-blue list from a couple months back.

If you want a bad but monetarily cheap version of the combo, you could also put 4 Sphinx's Tutelage in your current deck and hope that your opponent isn't running that many lands :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tutelage + Painter is what we call "not a combo at all."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Tutelage + Painter is what we call "not a combo at all."

We'll see who's laughing when Manaless Dredge and Breakfast Burrito take over the metagame :colbert:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

would anyone be interested in a GP Seattle U/B Death's Shadow report? it'd be long so i'm not going to type it up if no one gives a poo poo. Spoiler: i scrubbed out but I did play in a sweet pauper 3 rounder so here is the write-up for that:

I decided to play UG Turbofog. The deck plays 4 Jace's Erasure, 2 Muddle the Mixture to transmute for the erasures or to help them resolve, 4 Arcane Denial, and then a pile of cantrips, draw spells, and fogs.

Round 1: Mono Green Infect
G1: I'm on the play and cantrip for a few turns. Opponent leads with a Seal of Strength and then plays an ichorclaw myr. This matchup is a little tougher than it would appear, since they have to do half the damage that, say, a regular stompy deck has to do. However, they have no way to interact with my fogs. i use my counterspells in the early game, then just fog forever and mill him out of the game.

G2: He hits me for 6 poison on turn two, by going turn one glistener elf, turn 2 rancor into seal of strength. I make it a game by ripping a lot of fogs, particularly a bunch of my tangles, but he eventually gets an attack step and i die. the aggressive starts the infect deck can have are tough to deal with, since i really count on taking a few hits before i start burning my fogs

G3: I'm on the play and there isn't much of a game. He plays around getting blown out by tangle but I just have it all and his start isn't fast enough.

Record 1-0

Round 2: UB Control
G1: Game one ths matchup is a laugher. He had gurmags and striped riverwinders, but i get to just sit around forever and eventually resolve a jace's erasure or two through his countermagic. He also has millions of dead removal spells. He tries to get cute with bought back capsizes but eventually I counter one, replay my erasures and he's dead in short order.

G2: He brings in his own Jace's Erasures, and gets one down first.The ending of this game was loving sweet. We're both playing Accumulated Knowledges, and I go to my main phase with 13 cards in my library compared to his 19. He has four mana available, three cards in hand. My draw for the turn was an Accumulated Knowledge to go along with one in my hand, two in my graveyard, and two in his graveyard, as well as two Jace's Erasures on each side of the battle field. I cast the first AK, going to 8 cards, and milling him for ten. He flips over his remaining two AKs. I cast my final AK for the full 8. He responds by flashing back a think twice.... which I dispel, winning the game with zero cards in my library.

Record 2-0

Round 3: Grixis Delver
G1 and G2: these games are not interesting. He has relevant interaction and lots of fast pressure. I die, but we agreed to split beforehand

Finish: 2-0-1

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

I don't understand blinging out Death and Taxes. It's the people's deck of Legacy; there's not a reserved list card in sight. Let your SP Thalia seize the means of production, and take a drink to the revolution every time your Eternal Masters wasteland destroys a land worth more than your deck.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

teddust posted:

I don't understand blinging out Death and Taxes. It's the people's deck of Legacy; there's not a reserved list card in sight. Let your SP Thalia seize the means of production, and take a drink to the revolution every time your Eternal Masters wasteland destroys a land worth more than you deck.

but what if i HAVE money, i just like D&T?

i can't go letting people think i'm some kind of poor

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

Same. Tuesday legacy is 2/3+ Deathrite and Friday legacy is 2/3 Chalice. I quit until they fix something. It's just not fun.

The people who WotC listens to who don't play the format but still whined about Top love never- ending midrange garbage mirrors, so they all say how a meta built around DRS is good for the game or some such trash.

This meta is 100x better than miracles meta ever was. If you can't beat a loving 1/2 then you need to change how you build your decks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

teddust posted:

I don't understand blinging out Death and Taxes. It's the people's deck of Legacy; there's not a reserved list card in sight. Let your SP Thalia seize the means of production, and take a drink to the revolution every time your Eternal Masters wasteland destroys a land worth more than your deck.

How poor was Stalin once he seized those means, comrade?

Skyl3lazer posted:

This meta is 100x better than miracles meta ever was. If you can't beat a loving 1/2 then you need to change how you build your decks.

What? It was great with Miracles. You didn't have one ridiculous mana dork taking up 40% of the format. You had

With Miracles there were weaknesses that you could exploit, and you could build your deck to beat it and the decks that beat it. You can't do that with Delver/4 color midrange pile. It's just a midrange pile of good cards. I lost to Delver the other day through 2 Cavern of Souls, 2 Thalia, 2 Magus of the Moon, a Mirran Crusader, and 2 Stoneforge. You might notice that those are all the cards that are supposed to beat Delver pretty much by themselves in the deck that is supposed to beat Delver (it doesn't though.)

Not to mention the decks people play to beat Delver are so much more miserable than the decks people played to beat Miracles. You can't go under or over it like you could with Miracles. You just have to stop them from playing spells to beat them, so you play Chalice or Blood Moon or some other crap that ends the game on turn 1.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The cards you played to beat miracles just lost to CB+top, which didn't involve playing any magic. Against DRS you're playing a lot of magic, even if you lose.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Skyl3lazer posted:

No way. As a guy who rotated between Miracles, Lands and Jund, that meta was the best Legacy had.

This new meta sucks. I switched to modern for the foreseeable future.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

Against DRS you're playing a lot of magic, then you lose.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Tried a discard-heavy control variant of UB Faeries last night based on one Shota Yasooka had run recently, and didn't really care for it. Jace was good in a number of big mana/control matchups when they ran long, so it's a good 1-of in the deck, but I doubt I need more than 1. Liliana, the Last Hope is good in small creature and grindy creature matchups, and makes another good one of. Based on that, I'm going back to the following midrange UB Faeries list:

Deck: UB Aggro/Control Faeries

//Lands
3 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Darkslick Shores
2 Flooded Strand
3 Island
4 Mutavault
4 Polluted Delta
1 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Watery Grave

//Enchantments
4 Bitterblossom

//Instants
2 Cast Down
2 Cryptic Command
1 Dismember
4 Fatal Push
1 Logic Knot
2 Mana Leak
3 Opt
2 Spell Snare

//Planeswalkers
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Liliana, the Last Hope

//Creatures
3 Mistbind Clique
3 Snapcaster Mage
4 Spellstutter Sprite
3 Vendilion Clique

//Sideboard
2 Ceremonious Rejection
1 Damnation
2 Disdainful Stroke
1 Dispel
1 Echoing Truth
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Gifted Aetherborn
1 Go for the Throat
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2 Negate

Display deck statistics

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
With a total of 17 cards in the deck being Wizards is it possibly worth running the new counterspell over the singleton Logic Knot?

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Probably not. It's only 13 wizards (bitterblossom generated faerie rogues, not faerie wizards), so it'd basically be cancel most of the time. An alternative to Logic Knot would be great so that I could run main board murderous cut for the unconditional removal instead of a dismember.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I for the life of me cannot figure out what is going on in the illustration for Logic Knot and I can't ask the artist because he died shortly after Future Sight released.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Borachon posted:

Probably not. It's only 13 wizards (bitterblossom generated faerie rogues, not faerie wizards), so it'd basically be cancel most of the time. An alternative to Logic Knot would be great so that I could run main board murderous cut for the unconditional removal instead of a dismember.

Mutavault is a Wizard too!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Mutavault is a Wizard too!

Turning Mutavault into a dude to get a discount of 1 seems identical to playing Cancel

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This may have been answered elsewhere but I'll ask it again- if you Flashback Wizard Counterspell with Snapcaster, the cost reduction still applies to the Flashback cost, right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

Turning Mutavault into a dude to get a discount of 1 seems identical to playing Cancel

Still a Wizard!!!

(Which matters if you were animating Mutavault incidentally)

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

C-Euro posted:

This may have been answered elsewhere but I'll ask it again- if you Flashback Wizard Counterspell with Snapcaster, the cost reduction still applies to the Flashback cost, right?

Sure does. All applicable cost reductions apply to Flashback whether it's a flashback card or you Snapcaster it.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

TheKingofSprings posted:

Still a Wizard!!!

(Which matters if you were animating Mutavault incidentally)

Fair enough. One of the situations to worry about is someone bolting or pathing a Mutavault when you're trying to chip in or block, and it would be relevant there. Still not sure it's worth it. I do know of at least one person playing with Vedalken Aethermage as extra copies of the wizards in the deck, for the record.

EDIT: The corner case Mutavault synergies in the deck are one of its highlights, including using it as a Zombie for Kalitas's ability, or using it to power up Liliana's ultimate. I guess that would be another one, though I'm still skeptical it would be worth it.

Borachon fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 7, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
We need a reprint of Riptide Laboratory something fierce.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

We need a reprint of Riptide Laboratory something fierce.

Riptide Laboratory + Snapcaster alone would be obscene in Modern

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Riptide Lab + SSS or Clique is probably more obnoxious

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

Riptide Laboratory + Snapcaster alone would be obscene in Modern

Sampatrick posted:

Riptide Lab + SSS or Clique is probably more obnoxious

You'd put all three into the same deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Riptide Lab is yet another 6 mana play that would be way too slow for modern.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I decided to play UG Turbofog. The deck plays 4 Jace's Erasure, 2 Muddle the Mixture to transmute for the erasures or to help them resolve, 4 Arcane Denial, and then a pile of cantrips, draw spells, and fogs.

We can continue this conversation in the actual Pauper thread, but is this the best Pauper deck that wins by milling your opponent out? I was also told about a UG Mill deck that relied on Erasure, Curse of the Bloody Tome, and a bunch of walls+Doorkeeper that I very much want to build.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

no one posts in the pauper thread so i think we can consolidate here:

I like that UG Turbofog turns off all of the non-red removal. It's not like people are playing cranial extraction effects so you have to diversify your "threats." you're a dog to, specifically, URx Delver decks. now that Tron isn't really running ulamog's crushers everything else is pretty decent

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

It's even weaker to Ghostly Flicker on 2 Bleak Coven Vampires.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Riptide Lab is yet another 6 mana play that would be way too slow for modern.

It's a land; it's not an expensive spell that does nothing if you don't get space to cast it.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Borachon posted:

Discard Faeries

This is the list I'm running that I 3-0 and 4-0 2 of my store's weekly modern tournies

Deck: Jace is a Faerie

//Main
2 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Darkslick Shores
2 Field of Ruin
4 Island
4 Mutavault
4 Polluted Delta
1 Sunken Ruins
2 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

//Creatures
2 Mistbind Clique
2 Snapcaster Mage
4 Spellstutter Sprite
2 Vendilion Clique

//Enchantments
4 Bitterblossom

//Planeswalkers
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

//Instants
3 Cryptic Command
4 Fatal Push
1 Go for the Throat
1 Mana Leak
1 Remand

//Sorceries
4 Ancestral Vision
2 Collective Brutality
2 Thoughtseize

//Sideboard
1 Collective Brutality
2 Countersquall
2 Damnation
1 Disdainful Stroke
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Gifted Aetherborn
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2 Liliana, the Last Hope
1 Mistbind Clique
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Relic of Progenitus

Display deck statistics

I currently took out Relic and 1 Damnation to try 2 Ceremonious Rejection because the Tron match up is always terrible and the Affinity match up could better.
This week I went 2-1 vs Humans, 2-0 vs BW Planeswalkers (the guy managed to get Liliana, the Last Hope emblem out, but 3x Cryptic Command and 3x Bitterblossoms are pretty good :v:), and 2-0 vs Jund, Ancestral Visions vs Jund feels so good vs Jund lol.

Also this is from the 5 packs that I won :smaug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

It's even weaker to Ghostly Flicker on 2 Bleak Coven Vampires.

W O W