Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

CitizenKain posted:

I guess they got the last laugh since those fuckers kept my security deposit for no reason.

I imagine they wanted the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
100% leverage on a charge card. He's going to love the extra fees and special super high interest rate.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Cut the two hour session down to one hour, problem solved.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
The electricity idiot almost had some sympathy because I could see thinking it was part of the lease or something. And then he had to go and explicitly state “I knew the landlord wasn’t paying” as if his poo poo was just being powered by dark matter or something with no cost

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
As Judge Judy says, "you ate the sandwich!" Once you have consumed the service or product you don't have any recourse to say you don't owe for it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Cut the two hour session down to one hour, problem solved.

Title change to 2-hour sessions are BWM, who needs more than 5 minutes.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
This is amazing and hilarious coverage of that Toronto Wealth, Real Estate (and now Bitcoin!) expo:
https://twitter.com/squawkfox/status/982618809612763136

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Less Fat Luke posted:

This is amazing and hilarious coverage of that Toronto Wealth, Real Estate (and now Bitcoin!) expo:

I'm the "Moneyness" chart.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Holy poo poo that is quite the motley crew of celebrities.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Picture: Deep regrets within 5 years.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Maybe the IRS will let them pay their taxes with a pound of flesh.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Jesus are Stallone and A-Rod that hard up for money? Poster is kinda hilarious how some have the name on top and others have the show on top, then the name below.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I think the Bitconnect guy got a new gig

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Youth Decay posted:

I think the Bitconnect guy got a new gig

So they're advertising him as someone who can get into your head and make you do things you don't want? Unorthodox...but bold.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
LOL. From the comments on how to avoid the 10$ monthly service fee with wells fargo?:

quote:

i have to use this bank because my mom does

quote:

How old are you? Wells fargo has a free student checking... you need to restructure your account... and if you are over 18, that excuse is dumb...

quote:

29, it's convenient for instant money transfers

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My boyfriend cheated and we own a condo together. Please help critique my plan for dividing the asset.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/3c9jq9/my_boyfriend_cheated_and_we_own_a_condo_together/ posted:

So, my boyfriend of 4 years cheated on me in the weirdest fashion (feel free to peruse my posting history for that story). I'm trying really hard to rise above this situation.

The Situation

$360,000 condo that we both own (in both of our names). The mortgage is with his parents (they're amazing people, but yeah, ouch). He put down way more than me as he has family money.

Right now, a year after purchasing:

my equity share is about $14,000
his equity share is about $185,000
the remaining mortgage is $157,986

I moved across the country to be with him two years ago, when we bought the house we were both thinking long term, but he f*cked that one up.

My Proposed Solution

Although we had very unequal initial down-payments, we currently contribute 50/50 to the mortgage and condo fees. Each of us pays $880 per month, for a total cost of $1760 per month.

I want him to move out (he's currently living with his parents since we broke it off yesterday), for me to move into the smaller bedroom, and to rent out the master bedroom and ensuite to a roommate. So let's say I'd keep paying my $880 and a roommate would pay the same.

So that he sees a return on his money being tied up in the condo, I'd assign X% of the monthly $1760 (minus condo fees) to his equity portion, and Y% to mine. What are reasonable X and Y values here?

Does this plan make sense? We could always sell the place, but we'd probably lose money (Calgary market right now vs a year ago), and both of us would have to live somewhere else. Plus I love this place.

I feel like even though he put up a lot more $$, as he stepped outside of the boundary of our relationship, I should be able to continue living here. He is also more financially capable of finding a place on his own (even though we split the bills 50/50, he makes about $80k while I make $60k - not including the return on his other investments).

Is this reasonable? Is there anything I'm missing? We'd have to discuss when we would sell the condo, but we were always planning to turn it into a rental property when we outgrew it, so I don't see why that can't stand.

I am not trying to be a gold digger at all - I just want to keep living in and contributing to my home after my poo poo head boyfriend cheated on me. All advice welcome.

EDIT Alright, I get it. FWIW, his parents are devastated and would probably just give me the condo, but I don't want that. I'm going to let him know what I'm owed and get a cheque. I'll get a new apartment, it will be fine. Thanks for the tough love Reddit.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm glad Reddit apparently talked some sense into her. Who the gently caress wants to be financially tied to an ex (and his parents!).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't understand how the lending institution is Boyfriend's Parents but the deed is officially recorded in the name of Boyfriend & Girlfriend?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't understand how the lending institution is Boyfriend's Parents but the deed is officially recorded in the name of Boyfriend & Girlfriend?

It sounds like an under the table loan from the bank of Rich Mom and Dad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Parents probably gave them the money to buy the house and then expected payback / bought the house, gifted it to B&G, then have a payment plan back to parents (off books, etc)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm glad Reddit apparently talked some sense into her. Who the gently caress wants to be financially tied to an ex (and his parents!).

I liked how she thought his parents would side with her over him. Yeah, that'd probably never happen.

I didn't like that I couldn't find her posts about the weird way he cheated on her.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sounds like she was paying rent to live in her boyfriend's condo and wants to get reimbursed...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Krispy Wafer posted:

I liked how she thought his parents would side with her over him. Yeah, that'd probably never happen.

I didn't like that I couldn't find her posts about the weird way he cheated on her.

I looked it up, it wasn't that weird. Weird way to find out, I guess.

quote:

We saw some good friends tonight and one of them brought her little sister, Amy. Amy is hilarious, outgoing, and unbelievably nice. Just a great girl to be around. I noticed she had some bruises on her arms, but she was really drunk and we were surrounded by people - I figured it wasn't the time to bring them up (regret that now).

I mentioned to my BF later about the bruises and said I'd check everything was ok when we see her next weekend. He felt weird about it, got in touch with her through Facebook, she broke down and he's now en-route with her to our house.

What do we say/do? I want to make sure we hit the important things, I've never dealt with domestic abuse before. I've made the bed and she can stay here as long as she wants, but other than making tea, what do I do?

Thanks for your help Reddit!

tl;dr: My friend's little sister is en route at 3am, what is important that we say/do? And my boyfriend is amazing.

Edit: thank you all for the advice. I really had no foundation from which to approach this so this is really helpful. Amy is asleep in our place, we stayed up until 5am being chatty and just trying to make her feel like an honoured guest (because she is). She seems embarrassed so we didn't bring up the abuse last night. She wants to tell her sister, so we asked her to come over today. I'm not sure what'll happen then, but I'm going to bring up taking photos over breakfast.

I am really rattled that this was happening to someone in our group of friends and nobody knew. Amy is such a sweet girl, this can happen to anyone. Please - if you ever notice anything suspicious, pull them aside right away. I'm so glad my boyfriend took what I noticed and ran with it.
[lovely UPDATE] me [24F] with my friends little sister [21F] - she's in her way here escaping domestic abuse, what do we do?Updates
submitted 2 years ago by Throwapunchaway123

quote:

Original post here.

So we all woke up this morning, had breakfast, her sister and sister's husband came over and heard the story. They helped her move out of that place today away from her boyfriend - all good in that department.

My boyfriend was really rattled by the event, but I figured that was normal. Fast forward to later in the day - I'm using his phone to take a picture when he gets a call from Amy (at 1AM). I hand him the phone and he walks away to take it. At that moment, everything clicked.

After I told him I noticed the bruises, he contacted Amy, confirmed the abuse, and went to pick her up without telling me - he said he was going for a walk to settle his upset stomach, but then called me while he was en route to Amy's and told me what he was doing. He said he didn't tell me because he didn't want me to stop him from driving because he'd had a few bees earlier in the night.

They seemed a little overly friendly, but I chalked that up to the fact that they were both part of her sister's bridal party a few weeks before.

She was calling him at 1 AM and when I asked about it, he seemed like he didn't know how to answer why she was calling.

When we got home, I called him on it. At first it was "well, we've been messaging since the wedding." He can't show me the messages because he's been deleting them. Then it's that he has feelings for her, but loves me and wants to work it out with me and definitely not break up. An hour later, he can't see us together, we're broken up and that's that.

tl;dr: My boyfriend of 4 years, while a good damsel in distress rescuer, is definitely not a keeper. I'm off to figure out what to do with my life (we own a condo together, and cats, and I moved across the country to be with him).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My take of the situation is that all 3 of them are on the deed (her, boyfriend, and parents) at different percentages, but the parents' names are the only ones on the mortgage. So if they sold, each party would get the percentage of profits equal to their equity, but if they stopped paying the mortgage, the parents are who the bank comes after. Assuming it works the same in Canada as it does in the USA. So nothing sketchy, just a bad idea.

Her whole cockamame plan to still live there is dumb, but she does have leverage to make them buy her out - she can force a sale to happen no matter what percentage she owns (again, assuming it works the same in Canada). So them buying her out is 100% the best option for everyone involved. The real BWM are the parents who didn't just put it only in their sons' name - she'd get partial ownership once they married anyway.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 10, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah... early-mid 20s guy gets bored of college sweetheart after 4 years and leaves her for a new girl.

Not exactly a World's First

And that was super dumb to let the girlfriend buy in with a 3.5% down payment. Just add her to the title if/when you get married, dummy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

And that was super dumb to let the girlfriend buy in with a 3.5% down payment. Just add her to the title if/when you get married, dummy.

Yeah there's literally no reason for it, all it does is create the headache they're currently in. Honestly any sort of joint home ownership apart from marriage is a buy idea, IMHO. The parents should have bought it in their name only and charged them rent on it. And I speak from experience, having jointly owned a house with my wife and her abusive dad (it's me, I'm the BWM).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Rotten Red Rod posted:

(it's me, I'm the BWM).

Reported, you sack of poo poo

Reddit posted:

He can't show me the messages because he's been deleting them.

Oof, you guys ever had that partner who "Trusts you, but I'd feel a lot better if I could look through your messages"

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oof, you guys ever had that partner who "Trusts you, but I'd feel a lot better if I could look through your messages"

If all your partners want to do that things could get complicated.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Enos Cabell posted:

Who the gently caress wants to be financially tied to an ex

Everyone who ever filed for spousal support, at a guess.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Devian666 posted:

If all your partners want to do that things could get complicated.

:discourse:

When someone looks through your phone without asking is the worst. If I had a partner that did that I would dump them immediately. I’ve been with my wife six and a half years. The only reasons I look at her messages are if she asks me to check who just sent her a message or if I’m waiting on a SMS two factor authentication key for one of our accounts. Aside from that, the poo poo she talks about me to her friends is her own business.

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

:discourse:

When someone looks through your phone without asking is the worst. If I had a partner that did that I would dump them immediately. I’ve been with my wife six and a half years. The only reasons I look at her messages are if she asks me to check who just sent her a message or if I’m waiting on a SMS two factor authentication key for one of our accounts. Aside from that, the poo poo she talks about me to her friends is her own business.

This. Messages are private. If someone doesn't trust their spouse to have private communications with others, they probably don't trust them enough to be married.

Though that reminds me of my friend who just discovered her longtime boyfriend was cheating. He left a chat window open while he was playing games on his laptop in the living room, on a couch with its back to an area you have to walk through to get to the kitchen, and then forgot to close the chat window when she walked by and gave him a hug from behind. Which I suppose is technically reading his messages, but man, he could have put the slightest bit of effort into cheating. Joke's on him, though, because she dumped him and now he has to get a job, move out, get a car of his own, open a bank account, get a credit card...

She'd been supporting him since they moved in together. He's been in school for ten years, most of that while he wasn't working or was working part-time, and has yet to finish his degree. He's currently on academic probation for failing too many classes despite having no responsibilities besides school. He overdrew his bank account, ignored it for ages, so it was closed. He hasn't built up credit of his own. He doesn't have his own car. He would impulsively spend money without telling her on things like video game collectibles.

Supporting him for years was BWM, though. He was the sunk-cost fallacy of boyfriends.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Haifisch posted:

IIRC, culinary degrees don't actually help much with getting the jobs people think they will. Everything I've heard/read says most places want you to put in the gruntwork first so you know how a real kitchen's run.

I used to consider culinary degrees a warning sign when people were applying to be line cooks. They teach great technique, but outside of big reputable ones like Johnson & Wales many don't give enough practical experience with the drudgery of cooking to make a good line cook, and graduates tend to burn out of the industry in a couple years.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Or you could just open your own restaurant and skip all the grunt work.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Haifisch posted:

My boyfriend cheated and we own a condo together. Please help critique my plan for dividing the asset.

quote:

I am not trying to be a gold digger at all - I just want to keep living in and contributing to my home after my poo poo head boyfriend cheated on me. All advice welcome.
Quality.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah there's literally no reason for it, all it does is create the headache they're currently in. Honestly any sort of joint home ownership apart from marriage is a buy idea, IMHO. The parents should have bought it in their name only and charged them rent on it. And I speak from experience, having jointly owned a house with my wife and her abusive dad (it's me, I'm the BWM).
Yep, even if the rent applied 100% to equity or something, it would have been a way cleaner method. Especially if the boyfriends $170k was a gift from the folks, too.

quote:

Dad wants me and my bro to "buy" house for him
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8b6l7j/dad_wants_me_and_my_bro_to_buy_house_for_him/

[Edit] So it appears I would need to speak to a professional about this. I've read in this thread about an estate planning attorney or accountant. The money is in my name now, I want to see if this is doable, maybe set up a trust to own the home or something. If this is not doable, I need facts to present my dad. Not "It's fraud!" But more things like WHY it's fraud or why it's not a good plan. To them it seems like a "simple" thing to put my name, so I need some ammo. Thanks for providing a lot already.

I'll try to make this quick but detailed

My dad wants me and my brother to "buy" a house for him. My dad and bro will be living in the house, I will not.

He has all of the down payment and he will be paying the mortgage. He has been depositing money into our accounts for a few years in preparation. Why does he need us? He is on Medicare and is afraid of losing it as a result of buying the house. The house would be a huge asset and would raise all sorts of questions, where the money came from, etc. The money is clean, but we are aware of the red flags big amounts of cash raises and of asset rules of Medicare. He's been saving money for a long time but does not make enough to qualify for a mortgage. I'm fairly confident he and my bro could pay for the house simply on their incomes and the savings, but of course me and my bro would be on the hook if something happened to his income. My bro and my dad will be living in the house, I'm simply involved because of income requirements and to "pay" the deposit. One of my fears is this can make it harder for me to buy a house on my own for my family. My dad and bro say they just need me on for the "income" and down payment and I can just take my name off later when I want to buy my own house.

My question, is how can I accomplish this without screwing up my chances for buying a house for my growing family. I want to avoid jeopardizing anything or causing any tax complications.

I want to know how I can approach this in the cleanest way possible. I don't know the people to see or the processes that need to be taken or the forms to be filled out. My dad and bro are in the process of talking to a real estate guy but I want to know what I'm getting into here.

Thanks guys!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Moneyball posted:

Or you could just open your own restaurant and skip all the grunt work.

My favorite episodes on Kitchen Nightmares.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My favorite episodes on Kitchen Nightmares.

Like the one with the retired cop blowing through his retirement savings and pension to give his two idiot sons jobs at the "Irish pub" he opened that hasn't turned a profit and has been burning money since it opened a year ago.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

So I'm new to this thread and I've read the first ~50 pages and the last few. I get that buying a horse is very BWM if you don't account for all the extra poo poo. One of my brother's friends bought one and had accounted for the cost of the horse plus stable fees plus grazing/food or whatever (I don't know I'm not a horse person) but apparently the vet fees are a real killer when they get sick and that's the one thing he didn't account for. He can afford it still, he's not in financial dire straits because of it but it's still more than he wanted to spend.

Is there an actual GWM way to do horsey stuff? Like can you just join a club or something and have access to horses without actually having to buy one? I don't want a horse I'm just interested to know, is the only way to "sort of have a horse" to actually buy one or are people gulled into it just because they like the idea of having a connection with a pet that's "theirs" or something?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

:negative:

Horses aren't inherently BWM. You don't have to buy a horse to do horsey things. It's not like people get into horse riding by buying one without ever having sat on one before. Equestrian centres have their own horses and lots of people just take riding lessons because they can't afford or don't want to actually own a horse. Then there are things like 4H clubs for kids, summer riding camps, etc. Whatever this thread likes to pretend, it's entirely possible to spend your disposable income on it (like people do with any other hobby) without being BWM. Are many hobbies actually GWM? Some are cheaper than others, but people choosing to spend money on something you personally don't enjoy isn't necessarily BWM. The main function of a hobby isn't really about money in and of itself.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah there's nothing wrong with owning a horse, if you can afford it. It's very much a rich person's hobby. The BWM is when people really can't afford to own a horse and ruin their lives to be able to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah there's nothing wrong with owning a horse, if you can afford it. It's very much a rich person's hobby. The BWM is when people really can't afford to own a horse and ruin their lives to be able to do it.

Yep. It's basically 'wanna-be upper crust middle class folks buying horses' that's BWM because they generally can't afford anything to go wrong. Same as if they bought a high-end sports car that needs $5k in rubber every couple years plus dealer maintenance.