Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Your Computer posted:

I wouldn't say I'm the soloest of solo players if I did voluntary online would I? :v: Sometimes I put on the mound-makers covenant because I like how the icon looks, but I don't summon or put down my sign ever since I'm not really into multiplayer.

anyway here's the last invasion and a good example of why I'm not a fan of DS PvP (in addition to being bad)
https://i.imgur.com/V2bWTfy.mp4

not a single hitbox actually colliding, business as usual. At least this one didn't have any teleportation!

In the hopes of saving your chances of enjoying pvp:

- jumping attack out of neutral with has an obvious "tell". Your opponent recognised the animation and timed their roll. That attack is better to use if your opponent is rolling away from you.

- backstabs have a two step "check": first, if the backstabber is in the correct "space", then a second check if you are in that same space. Think squares on a chessboard. You attacked; your opponent rolled into the same place as you and activated the backstab; then you turned for a second swing in the same place, giving your opponent the backstab "priority".
Next time try only attacking once at a time if someone goes to backstab you. Also, the anti-backstab Dragon ring does help reduce damage in pvp backstabs.

- little swords like his can lash out quickly, but have short range. Your opponent timed their attack (note it was only one at a time) to come out after you had rolled. You can actually wait a split second for them to attack and then roll on reaction; your i-frames will make you survive one roll distance away.

- once you escape the roll catch chain by waiting to roll on reaction instead, hit the r1 to try and trade blows at the same time. Your big mace will stagger your opponent and their little curved sword, and if you're big boy poise enough you can trade a double r1 combo into their roll catch attempt. That's then the point at which you could try a jumping attack to catch them as they move away (remembering to roll out of the way immediately after). Keep at it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

asio posted:

In the hopes of saving your chances of enjoying pvp

I've already spent over a thousand hours on dark souls, that ship sailed long ago

I do appreciate the thoughts behind the helpful posts, but if you guys don't see how ridiculous that clip looks then you've spent too much time with dark souls pvp. :v: The only hit that visually lands is my jump attack which does no damage despite the blood and hit effects, and every subsequent hit on me is whiffing a good metre or two off the mark. Any other game and people would laugh at this poo poo. I understand how it works, I'm just saying it's trash garbage and people who defend it are deluded not for me. :coffeepal:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My friend if you are not reacting to hypothetical events that strike your character before they've animated, you're doing it wrong.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Look, part of the vision for Dark Souls was no one outside Japan playing it having a solid 500ms of latency between you and the phantom and just playing around that limitation.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I've already spent over a thousand hours on dark souls, that ship sailed long ago

I do appreciate the thoughts behind the helpful posts, but if you guys don't see how ridiculous that clip looks then you've spent too much time with dark souls pvp. :v: The only hit that visually lands is my jump attack which does no damage despite the blood and hit effects, and every subsequent hit on me is whiffing a good metre or two off the mark. Any other game and people would laugh at this poo poo. I understand how it works, I'm just saying it's trash garbage and people who defend it are deluded not for me. :coffeepal:

Yeah dark souls pvp has always been utter and complete poo poo on a technical level, and I can't fault anyone for not liking it because of that--I only ever enjoyed it in dark souls 2 due to gimmicky stuff (blue sentinel aidvasions to feel like a savior and rat covenant shenanigans) and not because it was actually any good on its own merits.

Most of this poo poo does just not fly in other games, like For Honor would have been laughed out of the room if over half of the swings that hit you never even physically connected with your character

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

oh also benhart is my favorite npc

dude is just a guy on a hopeless quest to be the strongest to prove he's man enough to unlock the true power of the greatblue moonsword (greatmoon bluesword?? bluemoon greatsword??? and he's the actual solaire stand-in for the game in the sense that he spans the entire game and is one of the summonable npcs for the final boss - he doesn't have any bad end or anything either, dude is just actually that strong despite fighting with a completely hosed weapon!!

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

IronicDongz posted:

The original multiplayer system of the game is built to make you connect to random people in brief moments of friendship, instead of just playing with whoever you want. Time is convoluted, warriors centuries old phasing in and out, etc etc.

And invasions are supposed to be exactly the same, it isn't intended for people to make 'pvp characters' that just park at meta level and pvp either, but here we are.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
The main thing that seems to be wrong with PvP is the matchmaking. It's so easy to be matched against someone on the other side of the world, or someone who has high ping.

That clip seemed fair to me though. Yeah it had around half a second of latency but the backstab makes sense if you understand the mechanics behind backstabs.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I live in the australasian region so I get all the benefits of an english speaking country and I still get to dunk on the moon people.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

hampig posted:

And invasions are supposed to be exactly the same, it isn't intended for people to make 'pvp characters' that just park at meta level and pvp either, but here we are.

This certainly wasn't originally intended, but they did add an honest-to-goodness arena into DS1 with the DLC and have been consistent on that afterwards so it's clear they're thinking about it nowadays.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

sector_corrector posted:

2 has my favorite NPCs.

Yeah, but not for their storylines. The summons added by scholar are fantastic and have a lot of personality even if they don't even really have any quests (Bashful Ray is probably the best). Also there's Devotee Scarlett and Manhunter O'harrah which has to be the 2nd most bizarre japanese GWTW tie-in I've ever seen

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
The jester in DS2 spamming "This guy" and one-shotting me was definitely something. Same with Maldron one-shotting me with his charge, or if I parried him, just bolting down to safety with a bunch of enemies.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Dark Souls 2 has an NPC summon called Sellsword Luet who fights with two shields.

Because he sold his sword.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Digirat posted:

Yeah dark souls pvp has always been utter and complete poo poo on a technical level, and I can't fault anyone for not liking it because of that--I only ever enjoyed it in dark souls 2 due to gimmicky stuff (blue sentinel aidvasions to feel like a savior and rat covenant shenanigans) and not because it was actually any good on its own merits.

Most of this poo poo does just not fly in other games, like For Honor would have been laughed out of the room if over half of the swings that hit you never even physically connected with your character

The complaints about lag are completely fair but the complaints about phantom range are somewhat less so. I've played multiplayer games where hitboxes correspond exactly 1:1 with the model -- in one case, Chivalry, it even switched from one model to the other so you could compare it independently of any other variables. It loving sucks. You need that leeway to make up for the difficulties of displaying 3D space on a 2D monitor, basically.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

hampig posted:

This seems like a huge assumption given that's the easily predictable result of the invasion system and there's absolutely nothing in the game to prevent it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

From is not exactly good at prediction, given their repeated design of covenant systems that sound cool in theory but are underused due to mechanical limitations or player realities.

See: DS1 Darkmoon/Gravelords, DS2 Way of Blue, DS3 Moundmakers being summonable...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Moundmakers being summonable was incredibly fun for the first 24 hours or so. :v:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That's what I mean. DS1 Darkmoon has the same kind of problem.

You can easily tell that such a mechanic would be utterly unused past the first few days.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Small and Blue posted:

Dark Souls 2 has an NPC summon called Sellsword Luet who fights with two shields.

Holy poo poo.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Your Computer posted:

I do appreciate the thoughts behind the helpful posts, but if you guys don't see how ridiculous that clip looks then you've spent too much time with dark souls pvp. :v: The only hit that visually lands is my jump attack which does no damage despite the blood and hit effects,
Well, even in the clip he was in his roll animation when your jump attack hit. :v: Blood splatter animations playing even when an opponent is invincible is just fromsoft laziness. It's worse with bleed weapons, where you can proc bleed on someone as they roll, so it does no damage, wasting your bleed bar buildup.

But you're right about positioning. I play plenty of other multiplayer games so the weirdness is not lost on me, it's just that I have enough fun with dark souls invasions that I still do it anyways.
It would be great if the matchmaking had more regions than "japan" and "everywhere else".

hampig posted:

What? You're supposed to get invaded by random people, but they definitely understood that some people would just do pvp repeatedly, considering that in ds1 there are covenants that revolve entirely around it. You can't even use red eye orb without committing to being in the semi-hidden darkwraiths covenant, which is a covenant that basically exists to endlessly invade people.

If they expected you to invade enough with red eye orb to level that covenant up(remember that humanity was rarer in pre-patch and pre-dlc ds1, bosses didn't even drop humanity), they definitely expected people to just hang around and do pvp, because if you're only sometimes invading while progressing the game you'd never get that much over the course of a normal game.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 8, 2018

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

It might be strange, but I'm looking forward to getting back to a DS game where I can reinforce my armor. It's one of the things I miss going from DS2 to DS3. It might not be much, but...

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Yeah, but not for their storylines. The summons added by scholar are fantastic and have a lot of personality even if they don't even really have any quests (Bashful Ray is probably the best). Also there's Devotee Scarlett and Manhunter O'harrah which has to be the 2nd most bizarre japanese GWTW tie-in I've ever seen

Bradley of the Old Guard is great in that he'll use appropriate gestures when defeating a boss and will even call you over so he can heal you. Best summon ever.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Pyrolocutus posted:

It might be strange, but I'm looking forward to getting back to a DS game where I can reinforce my armor. It's one of the things I miss going from DS2 to DS3. It might not be much, but...

Yeah I don't know why but I also liked reinforcing my armor. I must have broke my brain from playing too many RPGs as a kid, but it's cool to see those numbers go up slightly!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A drama in three acts, presented without further comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALKyoKxPYVI

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The complaints about lag are completely fair but the complaints about phantom range are somewhat less so. I've played multiplayer games where hitboxes correspond exactly 1:1 with the model -- in one case, Chivalry, it even switched from one model to the other so you could compare it independently of any other variables. It loving sucks. You need that leeway to make up for the difficulties of displaying 3D space on a 2D monitor, basically.

I haven't played chivalry but from my experience with vermintide I suspect the fact that it's first person really changes things. judging melee range in first person games is just a pain in general, both because of the perspective and because your field of view setting really fucks with things by making you feel like you're further away than you really are. That stuff is kind of unavoidable in a first person game. But in a third person game, if someone hits me, I want to see them physically hit my model.

this video's description notes the differences between dark souls 2 and 3 (dark souls 2 did not have the same phantom range on hitboxes themselves), but it barely even matters because stuff like this has been my experience with all of the souls games and bloodborne, regardless of whether my internet is slow satellite or an extremely consistent wired 200/20.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

this video's description notes the differences between dark souls 2 and 3 (dark souls 2 did not have the same phantom range on hitboxes themselves), but it barely even matters because stuff like this has been my experience with all of the souls games and bloodborne, regardless of whether my internet is slow satellite or an extremely consistent wired 200/20.
:same:

honestly I'm pretty stoked any time invasions don't look like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryhKKGMSXE

People in this thread are very quick to throw out "your internet connection is poo poo" but I've got a ridiculous fiber connection and still haven't experienced Dark Souls PvP without massive lag. I play other multiplayer games fine. When I shoot someone in Overwatch I don't have to aim 3 metres ahead of where they are, you know what I mean? :v: I know a lot of people enjoy Dark Souls PvP and all the more power to them, but you can't really deny that it's a janky mess.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Small and Blue posted:

...Oh my god

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Scholar added some good ones. There's a creepy "Bashful Ray" who looks at you with binoculars anytime nothing is going on.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DS2, out of all the three Dark Souls games, is the game that knew how to have fun with itself the most. None of the other games have anyone even half as amusing as Maldron.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Digirat posted:

Scholar added some good ones. There's a creepy "Bashful Ray" who looks at you with binoculars anytime nothing is going on.

I think he's a ninja gaiden reference, he's actually pointing to the nearest enemy with his 'nocs.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Your Computer posted:

People in this thread are very quick to throw out "your internet connection is poo poo" but I've got a ridiculous fiber connection and still haven't experienced Dark Souls PvP without massive lag. I play other multiplayer games fine. When I shoot someone in Overwatch I don't have to aim 3 metres ahead of where they are, you know what I mean? :v: I know a lot of people enjoy Dark Souls PvP and all the more power to them, but you can't really deny that it's a janky mess.

This is rolling summoner lag. As phantoms and invaders enter or exit a world the host lags out for about half a minute. The sunbro seemed ok (phantoms already present aren't affected). A beautiful clip.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Your Computer posted:

Yeah but that's the hosts fault in the clip you posted. He must be stealing his neighbours Wi-Fi in Antarctica or something.

That's why it sucks that there doesn't seem to be any proper ping based matchmaking. You can have the best internet in the world and you'll still be fighting against dudes across the world from you.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, that is just summoning lag. Happens in ds3 whenever someone gets summoned. Worst with blues because that can happen at any time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Reminds me of my best summon experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF5arG25q70

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lambskin posted:

That's why it sucks that there doesn't seem to be any proper ping based matchmaking. You can have the best internet in the world and you'll still be fighting against dudes across the world from you.

Exactly! I'm pretty sure it's P2P and completely location agnostic. That clip's not mine but I keep it around because it's hilarious :allears:

Anyway whether that particular clip is summoning lag or not is irrelevant because I've had people invade me and then slide towards me and backstab me from 10 metres away, so it's not like it's a thing specific to summoning. Still not as amazing as some of the lag I had in Dark Souls 2 though, sliding halfway across the map for a backstab. I remember a video compilation of this happening too, I think they called it "lagstabbing" or something, anyone still got that?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Exactly! I'm pretty sure it's P2P and completely location agnostic. That clip's not mine but I keep it around because it's hilarious :allears:

Not completely location-agnostic -- there are two matchmaking regions in Dark Souls, "Japan" and "everywhere else." :v:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Vermain posted:

DS2, out of all the three Dark Souls games, is the game that knew how to have fun with itself the most. None of the other games have anyone even half as amusing as Maldron.

Maldron will forever be the best, but he’s got competition. I forget his name - Holy Knight Aurheim or something? - in Ivory King, who invades, immediately chameleons into a box, and backstabs you when you open a chest. Fell for that one hard.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

A drama in three acts, presented without further comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALKyoKxPYVI

rip that other guy

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

Maldron will forever be the best, but he’s got competition. I forget his name - Holy Knight Aurheim or something? - in Ivory King, who invades, immediately chameleons into a box, and backstabs you when you open a chest. Fell for that one hard.

Also, if you turn your camera to look behind you when you walk past him you can see him start to slowly creep towards you as a barrel like some medieval Solid Snake and if you then turn your character around to look at the barrel he immediately stops until you turn your back again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu9igdj0_OA

e: and also that chest contains just a bunch of silver talismans, the consumables that give you the chameleon effect. So you have just enough time to go "Eh, nothing useful I guess :geno:" before getting backstabbed by a barrel.

Small and Blue fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Small and Blue posted:

e: and also that chest contains just a bunch of silver talismans, the consumables that give you the chameleon effect. So you have just enough time to go "Eh, nothing useful I guess :geno:" before getting backstabbed by a barrel.

That is loving brilliant.