Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

He's right about all government being violence though. He's lucky to be on the receiving end of our relatively benign democratic violence.

I don't think this pushes people towards fascism, just highlights why our existing system is pretty awesome.

A functioning state has been defined as one that has a monopoly on violence for a long time, hasn’t it?

Is the loss of a monopoly of force better for society?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Speaking of us proles lashing out against the wealthy, this article is kinda interesting. Richest 1% on target to own two-thirds of all wealth by 2030
World leaders urged to act as anger over inequality reaches a ‘tipping point’

IMO smashing shop windows is just making things worse in the short turn which is most likely just going to make the inevitable correction of global wealth inequality more violent. As much as I'm all 'eat the rich and burn their spoils' in this thread, I'd really rather see this addressed without bloodshed, especially since we're going to need to get everyone onboard with fixing our environment before we all die, what with Things getting so bad sperm whales are choking to death on plastic garbage and changes to the Gulf Stream current that are already severely affecting the weather patterns in Europe, making it a more hostile environment.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I recently saw this article and I’ve finally realized that globalization has taken away a lot of national government authority.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/apr/05/demise-of-the-nation-state-rana-dasgupta

The problems we face I think can no longer be solved be any individual governments.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Speaking of us proles lashing out against the wealthy, this article is kinda interesting. Richest 1% on target to own two-thirds of all wealth by 2030
World leaders urged to act as anger over inequality reaches a ‘tipping point’

IMO smashing shop windows is just making things worse in the short turn which is most likely just going to make the inevitable correction of global wealth inequality more violent. As much as I'm all 'eat the rich and burn their spoils' in this thread, I'd really rather see this addressed without bloodshed, especially since we're going to need to get everyone onboard with fixing our environment before we all die, what with Things getting so bad sperm whales are choking to death on plastic garbage and changes to the Gulf Stream current that are already severely affecting the weather patterns in Europe, making it a more hostile environment.

Yes, i'm sure the billionaires campaigning against minimum wage will now recognize the errors of their ways, and give up their ill gotten gains without a fight.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Powershift posted:

Yes, i'm sure the billionaires campaigning against minimum wage will now recognize the errors of their ways, and give up their ill gotten gains without a fight.

Was it up here or in the USA where some moron proposed basically indentured servitude? Im having a hard time keeping track of the dumb/awful poo poo going on in this worst timeline.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It was probably in the City of Vancouver's proposal for the Amazon HQ

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Living in the dumbest timeline is kinda liberating. If not for the fact that I think the future is without hope I might have actually tried to keep my lame desk job and paltry defined contribution pension plan.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Your lineage spans three billion years, don't be such a wimp.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And some of your ancestors probably beheaded some oligarchs.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
All of us had ancestors that were better than the average at genocide.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is the loss of a monopoly of force better for society?

Depends on the state and society and room to move up or down.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

And some of your ancestors probably beheaded some oligarchs.

Yep. Might start happening again thanks to the ogliarchs behaviour these past few decades. Maybe not literally working for a multi generational billionaire family in their office building will actually increase my chances of survival should that start happening.

If someone decides to blow up One Lombard now at least I won't be in it when it happens.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Let us review the top comments on a CBC article about how people are kinda lovely about sorting their recycling.

I liked the brazenness, though I do generally lean towards technical solutions over behavioral ones. Humans are always going to be lazy and selfish to a certain predictable degree. :biotruths:

Speed limits are a good example of that. If we all agree speeding is bad, the posted limits are optimal for the roadway in question, then just set up speed cameras at every intersection.

Ding someone $200 for every block they speed through, people will stop speeding.

edit: which I guess is an enforced behavioral thing vs. purely technical. The truth is in the middle!

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 8, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Today in OnPol very online edition:

https://twitter.com/Irene_NoKillTO/status/982721798620917760

Whole lot to unpack here

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
lolololol Metrolinx gonna start charging to park at the GO lots.

Enjoy gridlock forever, fuckers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I guess it depends where you're commuting to, but if it's in Toronto you're paying for parking either way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

Today in OnPol very online edition:

https://twitter.com/Irene_NoKillTO/status/982721798620917760

Whole lot to unpack here

Garbage doesn't need to be unpacked, you just throw it in the dumpster.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

How is there gentrification in Hamilton. That implies someone wants to live there

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

How is there gentrification in Hamilton. That implies someone wants to live there

Anecdotally a buddy of mine in engineering and his wife want to move out there so they do exist, and there is a solid university there at least

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Gentrification is a term thrown around loosly by people that are threatened by outsiders and change. I'm not saying it's not happening in Hamilton, but it's far more complicated than people would like to admit. There are levels and stages to gentrification and it can be a beneficial process. Concentrated slums of poor people is not a positive thing. Hamilton wasn't always a shithole, it's descent is the same as a dozen other rust belt cities that were hollowed out by the decline of the steel industry. People that think its downtown has to stay perpetually slummy and hollowed out have a very short memory.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I liked Hamilton and would have stayed there if my wife and I could have found jobs that didn't take us into Toronto every day. It's proximity to the GTA was really the biggest downside to the city.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kraftwerk posted:

I recently saw this article and I’ve finally realized that globalization has taken away a lot of national government authority.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/apr/05/demise-of-the-nation-state-rana-dasgupta

The problems we face I think can no longer be solved be any individual governments.

this piece is literally preaching in favor of a world government

nwo shill posted:

Empires were not democratic, but were built to be inclusive of all those who came under their rule.

LOL

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I have included your kingdom's land in my territory, your resources in my wealth, and your family in my harem. I am very inclusive.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
this post was bad so I deleted it

xtal fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 8, 2018

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

The Butcher posted:

Speed limits are a good example of that. If we all agree speeding is bad, the posted limits are optimal for the roadway in question, then just set up speed cameras at every intersection.

Posted speed limits haven't been anything but political in a long time, not really the best example here.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TrueChaos posted:

Posted speed limits haven't been anything but political in a long time, not really the best example here.

Not really. In places, this is absolutely true, but in residential areas, congested areas, and especially in school zones, speed limits really must be observed for safety. It's the worst of both worlds, where without being familiar with an area, you're not quite sure whether the speed limit is set based on political whims or actual safety considerations.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

PT6A posted:

in residential areas, congested areas, and especially in school zones, speed limits really must be observed for safety

^^ This

Assholes driving 70km/h on narrow residential streets should have their licenses revoked. I can't think of anywhere they might driving to that a 30s delay might make the difference between life and death.

I'm old now. I've become a "think of the children" person 😓

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If speed limits were more than lip service to safety we'd have at 30km/h limits in all the narrower residential streets but no politician is willing to do that because people already bitch and moan endlessly here about the school speed limit zones. Set speed limit or no anyone doing 50 in my hood shouldn't be driving, that's just too loving fast for these streets.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

PT6A posted:

Not really. In places, this is absolutely true, but in residential areas, congested areas, and especially in school zones, speed limits really must be observed for safety. It's the worst of both worlds, where without being familiar with an area, you're not quite sure whether the speed limit is set based on political whims or actual safety considerations.

Speed limits are too high in residential areas, and too low on highways. Political pressure is the reason they've not been lowered in residential areas (because my commute!!!) or raised on highways (faster is unsafe!!!). Political decisions go both ways here.

The solution for residential / school areas etc is to design the roads so that the right speed feels like 30km/h. This is done through narrow roads, restricted sight lines, turns, etc. Doesn't help much with things already built, but it should be incorporated into new builds, and it isn't.

The solution to highways is to set the limit to 130 (at least on the 401) and keep the license suspension in place at 150km/h, and install incliment weather signage that reduces the limit when its pouring rain / a blizzard / etc. But that'd reduce police revenue and probably cost more money so :v:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Who needs proper speed limits when we can just rely on magic cars to save us? I mean why even bother implementing Vision Zero measures when we can just rely on technology that doesn't exist and won't for the foreseeable future?

It's cool though, we've found perfectly good ways of reducing vehicle traffic to safe speeds, and then stopped using them, on account of them being effective.

Blood sacrifice to the traffic gods must be maintained.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 8, 2018

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

my morning jackass posted:

4 dollar gourmet donuts

If your gourmet donuts are just $4 you are nowhere near peak gentrification.

Regarding high speed rail, what's the point of going all the way to Windsor? Toronto-Windsor is half the distance of Toronto-Montreal and there's basically gently caress all along most of the way other than London. Toronto-Hamilton-Buffalo and Toronto-Kitchener/Waterloo seems infinitely more sensible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

The solution for residential / school areas etc is to design the roads so that the right speed feels like 30km/h. This is done through narrow roads, restricted sight lines, turns, etc. Doesn't help much with things already built, but it should be incorporated into new builds, and it isn't.

Counterpoint: restricted sight lines and pointless turns (assuming they can be taken at speed) actually meaningfully reduce safety regardless of speed, so, no, they shouldn't be used to slow traffic down. Traffic calming has its place, but it must be done the right way. Restricted speed should also be accomplished through enforcement because, gently caress you, you're driving a car and you should be expected to follow the rules even when you don't want to.

EDIT: Edited to be more clear, since people kept misinterpreting me.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 8, 2018

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

It's cool though, we've found perfectly good ways of reducing vehicle traffic to safe speeds, and then stopped using them, on account of them being effective.

Blood sacrifice to the traffic gods must be maintained.

Did you miss the part in the article where the city bus was going into oncoming traffic to go around the sign? That isn't safe for anyone. The sign, on its own, wasn't effective at improving safety. I'd say remove the street parking in the area, but now you've opened up a tonne of space, and drivers would likely go a lot quicker, defeating the purpose.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

Regarding high speed rail, what's the point of going all the way to Windsor? Toronto-Windsor is half the distance of Toronto-Montreal and there's basically gently caress all along most of the way other than London. Toronto-Hamilton-Buffalo and Toronto-Kitchener/Waterloo seems infinitely more sensible.

Why the Toronto-Windsor corridor

The proposed corridor goes through London, Kitchener, and Guelph. Because, they assure us, the Toronto-Waterloo tech corridor is a thing and not just two isolated islands of businesses that can be sort-of lined up if you squint.

TrueChaos posted:

Did you miss the part in the article where the city bus was going into oncoming traffic to go around the sign? That isn't safe for anyone. The sign, on its own, wasn't effective at improving safety. I'd say remove the street parking in the area, but now you've opened up a tonne of space, and drivers would likely go a lot quicker, defeating the purpose.

The sign on its own was effective at slowing traffic, the fact that idiots decided to do spectacularly stupid things to navigate it is a problem, I'll admit. This quote frames it nicely though:

quote:

“If it’s parking versus pedestrian safety, and the parking is winning, that’s ridiculous. That’s unthinkable,” Spieker said. “The problem that I think we have in Toronto is we prioritize the convenience of people driving cars over the safety of anybody who’s not driving a car.”

If clearing the on street parking opens up too much space, put in some bollards and make a bike lane.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 8, 2018

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

They're obviously planning for the inevitable massive expansion of suburbs even further along the 401 corridor this train line will most definitely follow. People will keep extending their commuting times and will have a slightly easier time deluding themselves into thinking it's reasonable because they can now (attempt to) sleep through their commute.

Hell, if self driving cars ever become a thing I suspect it won't be too long before employees who travel as part of their business are actually expected to sleep in their vehicles overnight. That won't be counted as billable hours, of course.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

PT6A posted:

Counterpoint: restricted sight lines and pointless turns actually meaningfully reduce safety regardless of speed, so, no, they shouldn't be used to slow traffic down. Restricted speed should be accomplished through enforcement because, gently caress you, you're driving a car and you should be expected to follow the rules even when you don't want to.

You're an idiot, the published literature doesn't agree with you. I can't post the journals cause they're paywalled. So here's a writeup from a civil engineering firm.

http://www.hrg-inc.com/reduce-speeding-with-speed-humps-and-other-traffic-control-techniques/

Enforcement is important, but human nature is that people are going to drive as fast as they feel comfortable. You can try to change human nature if you'd like, but if you want to actually make things safer you need to impact how people feel when driving at 50km/h through an area that you'd like to see 30km/h speeds.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

If clearing the on street parking opens up too much space, put in some bollards and make a bike lane.

Agreed. But in its current form, the sign was unsafe.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Today in Doug Ford misreads his audience

https://twitter.com/AndrayDomise/status/982964559475499008

Let's see if this hurts him any.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why the Toronto-Windsor corridor

The proposed corridor goes through London, Kitchener, and Guelph. Because, they assure us, the Toronto-Waterloo tech corridor is a thing and not just two isolated islands of businesses that can be sort-of lined up if you squint.

48 minutes to K/W?? Even once the LRT is running that's probably an hour to get to UWaterloo. The Greyhound takes 90 minutes and drops you off right on campus. Back in my day it would often arrive ahead of schedule too.

The main benefit seems to be getting to London and Windsor much faster but who wants to pay $8 billion for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

48 minutes to K/W?? Even once the LRT is running that's probably an hour to get to UWaterloo. The Greyhound takes 90 minutes and drops you off right on campus. Back in my day it would often arrive ahead of schedule too.

The main benefit seems to be getting to London and Windsor much faster but who wants to pay $8 billion for that?

It's 100% for long distance commuters, and frankly it almost certainly doesn't really make any sense in terms of actual demand and value for money*, but why would that matter to this government?

We'd be better served by 20 minute headways and true all day two way service all the way to Kitchener, which we could probably do nowish with some additional rolling stock. But that isn't all that impressive, and it's at least partially covered by the proposed RER plan.

*Also, this would presumably be using Metrlinx's fare-by-distance model making it at least $30-$45 each way. Current VIA service on the corridor is about $60-$70 each way for economy class.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 8, 2018