Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I think I'm going to give up on Standard Merfolk. I just played a deck where I got hit with a copied Torment of Hailfire that left me at -22 life. Seems like any creature based deck is a waste of time because removal > all.

I’m still hopeful a few more good Merfolk will drop. In the face of removal, though, I can understand the frustration. Even the fringe-good removal is too strong against tribal strategies. Guess that’s why they all board in 4 negates.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'd go if I still lived on Long Island.

I will, however, take solace in the fact that I don't have to live on Long Island anymore.

Not emptyquoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'd fly across the ocean to get those awesome tokens, but alas.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Tainen posted:

Edit: now in English

That's it? No flying, first strike or lifelink? Not even a fourth point of toughness or Hexproof White? Weeeeaaaak.

Looking forward to the bad corrupt, bad mind sludge and bad mutilate nostalgia rares to go with bad husk and bad coffers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GimmickMan posted:

That's it? No flying, first strike or lifelink? Not even a fourth point of toughness or Hexproof White? Weeeeaaaak.

Looking forward to the bad corrupt, bad mind sludge and bad mutilate nostalgia rares to go with bad husk and bad coffers.

Like TheKingofSprings said, it has to be a plant of some sort. It'd be weak even if it cost 2B.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvzhSvEsmZA

the community never ceases to amaze me

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

LifeLynx posted:

I'm running the fifth Cat Draft on June 30th at Brothers Grim in Selden, NY, on Long Island. $20 entry for a Dominaria DoMEWnaria draft, with all proceeds going towards the cats at the Long Island Feline Adoption Center. It's a no-kill adoption center I've been volunteering at for years, and it's set up sort of like a living room. They've got their own TV, couches, scratching posts, towers, etc. The owner of Brothers Grim is a huge fan of felines, so he donates hundreds of dollars worth of stuff for raffles and giveaways, plus our LIFAC volunteers run a bake sale - and all the money goes towards food, medical checkups, and other necessities for the cats. I want to make this the biggest Cat Draft yet, so I'm going all out!

I also illustrate some custom tokens for each event. Here's some of the ones from the past:

Sometimes Jeff Menges (Swords to Plowshares, Bazaar of Baghdad, Sea Serpent, and so on) stops by to sign cards and make a token. He RSVP'd to this event on Facebook, but since he's busy at GP Seattle right now I don't know the extent of what he's bringing yet.

If you're around, stop by!

:catdrugs: RSVP on Facebook if you're planning on going! (Attendance isn't capped until we hit like 150 players, but it helps to know who's going!) :catdrugs:

P.S. Baby, our oldest resident, judging you (but not judging the event unfortunately, bringing cats there would stress them out because they're not used to being in cages or around dozens of people at a time):

I love everything about this.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tonetta posted:

I mean... don't openly broadcast your hand, live, in a hidden information game? Isn't there some guy who occludes it with an ad banner?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Well, Magic Arena is very fun. Almost everyone is running some kind of vampire deck though.. I have no clue how to build effective decks in this game yet, so I'm just using the default Sun Empire dinosaur deck and getting slapped around by vampires.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tonetta posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5INx4m5_FZ4

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I mean... don't openly broadcast your hand, live, in a hidden information game? Isn't there some guy who occludes it with an ad banner?

If you are going to ghost someone you should at least have the courtesy to keep your mouth shut. Don’t openly brag about it like a toxic peace if poo poo.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Scent of Worf posted:

Well, Magic Arena is very fun. Almost everyone is running some kind of vampire deck though. I have no clue how to build effective decks in this game yet, so I'm just using the default Sun Empire dinosaur deck and getting slapped around by vampires.

I've heard people say this about every deck in the meta: everyone seems to play only against UB control, vampires, UW tokens, RDW, UR control, GPG (I almost typed GFG what have you done to me mcmagic), etc. I'm going to guess it's mostly confirmation bias.

Anyway, try running some Fiery Cannonade; it can clean up vampires/tokens and get enrage for your own board.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is what the people wanted. They didn't want me and people like me playing miracles and holding poo poo in check. They wanted a pile of 4 color Leovold poo poo.

I'm done with legacy. Even if they ban DRS it will just make a crappier format.

It was perfect 3 years ago. They should ban Leovold and unban top.

Yeah, I have to go to the town my LGS is in on Friday to buy my car and I'm still going to skip legacy.

I know 0 people who play legacy regularly who wanted the Top ban. The people that wanted it are the ones who play it every few months, Twitch chat/ CFB comments, and the pros who also play legacy every few months. A Teminus or Mentor ban would have been fine.

But whatever, they stopped making the game for those of us who hate generic midrange piles a long time ago. I'll keep my deck for now but I'm not playing.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

our big boy made a boo boo on camera so lets take it out on your average pot filler

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Midrange should exist but so should other strategies and the harder they move this game closer to Hearthstone the more it’s going to gently caress them over

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Is cat dad and daughter anywhere near Long island because that would be the best :kimchi:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Isn't that true of any control deck? UB control has pretty much the same problem except its backed up by Scarab God instead of Approach.

It's mostly the wraths, but in general Approach is way more reliant on turning the game around in a single turn than U/B is. I also think U/B control is in that tier 1.5ish area, not tier 1, and is there in part because of it's ability to run Duress itself.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Midrange should exist but so should other strategies and the harder they move this game closer to Hearthstone the more it’s going to gently caress them over

Standard right now has competitive Midrange, Aggro, Control and fringe competitive Combo. What are you talking about?

Edit: U/W gifts is probably primarily Combo, so actually it has fully competitive versions of all 4 primary archetypes.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 8, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Standard right now has competitive Midrange, Aggro, Control and fringe competitive Combo. What are you talking about?

Pretty clearly not standard.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Pretty clearly not standard.

Older formats are moving towards Hearthstone? I must have missed the dominant 1 drop with 3 activated abilities in that game.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
There are many complaints you can make about older formats, them turning into Hearthstone is not one of them.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tainen posted:

Edit: now in English

This is nowhere near as good as the steel leaf guy or even the RRR goblin dude, what the hell. They couldn't put even one template keyword on here?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

This is nowhere near as good as the steel leaf guy or even the RRR goblin dude, what the hell. They couldn't put even one template keyword on here?

The last time they made a mono-black devotion deck they got pretty loving burned so they’re maybe playing it safer this time?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Yeah the black and blue ones of this cycle are so much worse than the other three.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah the black and blue ones of this cycle are so much worse than the other three.

What was the white one?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Older formats are moving towards Hearthstone? I must have missed the dominant 1 drop with 3 activated abilities in that game.

Follow the whole conversation.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What did you guys add to the Vampire deck in MTGA to make it better?

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

The last time they made a mono-black devotion deck they got pretty loving burned so they’re maybe playing it safer this time?

Well given that there are no cards with devotion in standard, I'm not sure how it could even be a problem.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

OgreNoah posted:

Well given that there are no cards with devotion in standard, I'm not sure how it could even be a problem.

maybe in the core set :tinfoil:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Rinkles posted:

What was the white one?

3/3 anthem

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

OgreNoah posted:

They seed cards for future standards often and there are a vanishingly small number of UUU cost permanents, a cycle like this seems like one planned for a later standard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I tremendously overrated shades as a kid.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Tonetta posted:

without watching: of course it's wrong

e: wow that was stupid

stump collector fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 8, 2018

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rinkles posted:

I tremendously overrated shades as a kid.

Shades were better before they were errataed to make clear the +1/+1 was just until end of turn

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
shades are :cool:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
There is some hyphothetical world where using the new cabal coffers to turn the shade into a 40/40 is good enough but unless they reprint grey merchant and nykthos in the core set I dont think we live in it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Devor posted:

Shades were better before they were errataed to make clear the +1/+1 was just until end of turn

Early templating was so sloppy. Compare these two cards from Alpha

totally reasonable to think they had different effects, so they decided to clear it up in Revised

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I agree it looks like seeding for Devotion; but do people think it means we're going back to Theros soon? Or somewhere else with the mechanic, e.g. M19? Feels a bit weird to imagine a standard deck built around a keyword that is only in the core set. I can't remember if they used to do that though.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Killer Bees are the best shades cause:

1. Foglio did the art
2. He painted bees with loving swords, spears and shields
3. The flavor text clarifies that it's crossbred bees that learned the "secret of steel"

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Frozen shade was my favorite card as a kid and it is just terrible

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Nantuko Shade must’ve been a mindblowing card back in the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Harold McNeill showed up to GP Seattle to sign copies of Invoke Prejudice and got kicked out.