Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

8 @ 4.5+ is what I’ve been holding out for. C’mon already.

why not ask for 80 cores at 45ghz dawg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
dang, so jealous of my new 8@4.5 rig and it ain’t even out yet

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

dang, so jealous of my new 8@4.5 rig and it ain’t even out yet

But the FX-9590 has been out for a long time. :v:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113347

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

8 @ 4.5+ is what I’ve been holding out for. C’mon already.

5960Xs are under $400 on eBay... it's ringbus and you get a shitton of cache out of the deal as well. Most samples should hit 4.5 GHz, some will do a bit more.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 8, 2018

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I was curious, so it looked it up. My quad core Haswell Xeon has actually appreciated in value. :staredog:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Laslow posted:

I was curious, so it looked it up. My quad core Haswell Xeon has actually appreciated in value. :staredog:

Fine wine technology.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I should get off the internet for a while, I wanted to make a joke about Kirk Johnson.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I wonder how many people /r/AMD drive to Intel. Reading up on some leaked benchmarks for 2800X, and people are using 1.45V OCs to compare to Intel and telling people that's perfectly acceptable.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ufarn posted:

I wonder how many people /r/AMD drive to Intel. Reading up on some leaked benchmarks for 2800X, and people are using 1.45V OCs to compare to Intel and telling people that's perfectly acceptable.

r/AMD is the reason that I am perceived as unreasonably biased against AMD products. I read+argue against that poo poo all day and I just have no sympathy for those shenanigans here.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 8, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Reminds me when I was getting OC help, and without SA, I would probably have fried my rig going by advice from places like Reddit. I feel bad for people who have to rely on Reddit in general.

I'm still leaning towards getting a 2800X, but places like /r/AMD are the perfect argument for squatting your own subreddit so some dumbass community doesn't take its place and give you a bad name.

/r/intel seems pretty tame by comparison and mostly just posts news.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Oh no, AMD actively encourages it. They've got AMD_Robert (Robert Hallock), AMD_James (James Pryor), and all kinds of other AMD leads posting there. Notably, AMD_Robert has posted bullshit like "thermal watts are not electrical watts" that just super grinds my gears. No, AMD has not managed to break the laws of thermodynamics, and a CPU is effectively a perfect resistor, so power in = heat out.

r/Intel is primarily modded by one of the r/AMD mods and has very little native traffic on its own, it's just overflow for when AMD does a thing and the r/AMD crowd wants to gloat. It has like 1/5th the subscribers or actives as r/AMD. They've had to disable downvotes on the subreddit style because the brigading is so bad (not that that actually does anything).

Nobody loves Intel as a company, they teabag their customers+partners every chance they get. That's why they have like 1/50th of the per-user representation as AMD online. The line they ride is that their products are usually good enough to make it worth it. Usually.

Same for r/NVIDIA. It's like, mostly tech support and stuff. One guy who does benchmarks every driver revision come hell or high water (god bless his :spergin:). Nobody there is boosting NVIDIA, they are off playing games and poo poo.

r/AMD is the result of a rampant bunker mentality. AMD has been the underdog for 10 years now and people have attached their emotional identities to boosting it. Half of them are specifically investing in AMD stocks. See: r/AMD_stocks, and the crossover with r/AMD.

As a result, they are doomed to a perpetual cycle of disappointment because they can't not run the hype train every time someone suggests a performance increase - "5-10% clockrate improvements" on Ryzen 2000 becomes "definitely 15-20% improvements clock improvements and also 10% IPC improvements", and then people are super disappointed when they get 5-10% clockrate improvement and 2% IPC improvement. Ryzen 2000 is actually pretty good for a stepping and a node tweak!

We saw the same thing with the Adrenalin drivers last year, which r/AMD was convinced were going to boost performance by 15-20% across the board until Anandtech popped their bubble. The realistic "5-10% in specific games", became "10-15% across the board", and then was exaggerated even further, some people thought it was going to drop a legit 20% improvement across the board. Actual result: 5-10% in a handful of games, 3% across the board.

Reddit is a game of chinese whispers that becomes totally disconnected from the underlying technical fundamentals. And if I try to point that out, I become the wet blanket who hates AMD.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 8, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Oh no, AMD actively encourages it. They've got AMD_Robert, AMD_James, and all kinds of other AMD leads posting there. Notably, AMD_Robert has posted bullshit like "thermal watts are not electrical watts" that just super grinds my gears. No, AMD has not managed to break the laws of thermodynamics, and a CPU is effectively a perfect resistor, so power in = heat out.

r/Intel is primarily modded by one of the r/AMD mods and has very little native traffic on its own, it's just overflow for when AMD does a thing and the r/AMD crowd wants to gloat. It has like 1/5th the subscribers or actives as r/AMD.

Nobody loves Intel as a company, they teabag their customers every chance they get. The line they ride is that their products are usually good enough to make it worth it. Usually.

Same for r/NVIDIA. It's like, mostly tech support and stuff. One guy who does benchmarks every driver revision come hell or high water (god bless his :spergin:). Nobody there is boosting NVIDIA, they are off playing games and poo poo.

r/AMD is the result of a rampant bunker mentality. AMD has been the underdog for 10 years now and people have attached their emotional identities to boosting it. They are doomed to a perpetual cycle of disappointment because they can't not run the hype train every time someone suggests a performance increase - "5-10% clockrate improvements" on Ryzen 2000 becomes "definitely 15-20% improvements across the board, and also 10% IPC improvements", and then people are super disappointed when they get 5-10% clockrate improvement and 2% IPC improvement. We saw the same thing with Crimson drivers, which r/AMD was convinced were going to boost performance by 15-20% across the board. 5-10% in specific games, became 10-15% across the board, and then was exaggerated even further. Actual result: 5-10% in a handful of games, 3% across the board.

Reddit is a game of chinese whispers that becomes totally disconnected from the underlying technical fundamentals. And if I try to point that out, I become the wet blanket who hates AMD.

Have you considered this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Intel definitely only created Z370 because they're trying to rip you off

https://mobile.twitter.com/IanCutress/status/982613653479415809?s=19

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

r/AMD is the reason that I am perceived as unreasonably biased against AMD products. I read+argue against that poo poo all day and I just have no sympathy for those shenanigans here.

Sure it is.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

It's super funny for a magatar to be trying to tone-police.

If you have an argument to present, please proceed.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 8, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's super funny for a magatar to be trying to tone-police.

Tone police?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Paul MaudDib posted:

I agree with everything else you said, but you had to spoil it with a load of complete bollocks.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Measly Twerp posted:

I agree with everything else you said, but you had to spoil it with a load of complete bollocks.

Haha, and that's the tone policing right there. You agree with all of my points, just not with the point that I'm using them to make.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
....a conspiracy against you is the point you're using to say r/AMD is bad?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

....a conspiracy against you is the point you're using to say r/AMD is bad?

I've got literally no idea what you're trying to say here. A conspiracy, what now? Please explain.

But also please don't, because your posts are mostly a bunch of worthless cheerleading. If you actually have a point to make, you'd make it, but you would rather snipe at my tone.

r/AMD is a cesspit, like most of Reddit. That's not exactly controversial. They're just quite enthusiastic about it. Again, like your posts.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

This is exactly why the x86 threads should be merged

We'd have five times the amount of this quality Content

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Why the hell are you on r/AMD to begin with. It's basically a weird little cult.

AMD good, r/AMD bad.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Haha, and that's the tone policing right there. You agree with all of my points, just not with the point that I'm using them to make.

What?

You've explained that you just don't want to get burned again and that's why you're biased to think negatively of AMD, which would be perfectly fine except you then like to make posts where you pretend to be objective and get super offended when someone suggests you might be overly negative. You should not be surprised when people get frustrated by this behaviour.

There is no conspiracy against you, it's your own actions and how you choose to present yourself that cause this.

As I said, I agree with you that r/AMD is garbage, I just disagree with your assertion that therefore anyone who calls you out for your poo poo is an r/AMD nutjob.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Nobody wants to argue the uncontroversial positions, lol.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've got literally no idea what you're trying to say here. A conspiracy, what now? Please explain.

But also please don't, because your posts are mostly a bunch of worthless cheerleading. If you actually have a point to make, you'd make it, but you would rather snipe at my tone.

You made claims that are laughable, and seem to think people disagree with you because they're butthurt redditors. That's not tone, that's paranoia. If "maga hat" is all you can say in defense, I think nothing else needs to be said.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Measly Twerp posted:

What?

You've explained that you just don't want to get burned again and that's why you're biased to think negatively of AMD, which would be perfectly fine except you then like to make posts where you pretend to be objective and get super offended when someone suggests you might be overly negative. You should not be surprised when people get frustrated by this behaviour.

There is no conspiracy against you, it's your own actions and how you choose to present yourself that cause this.

What? No, I argued that r/AMD has repeatedly hyped themselves into a bunch of technically-indefensible positions, and that I try to be the voice of reason here, despite the bleedover between SA and Reddit. I don't like seeing technically-indefensible arguments made here, and I call them out when I see them.

Anyone is more than free to call me out on claims they think are indefensible, most recently on the whole "CTS labs = fake news" thing that I actually turned out to be 100% right on. But people get too upset about the tone, and they miss the whole part where I repeatedly said "serious vunerability, limited impact, will be quickly patched", because they are emotionally invested in "zero vulnerability, zero impact".

That's actually happened quite a lot. Ryzen has not overtaken Kaby's IPC from "BIOS updates"/etc, it does have some persistent memory/opcache stability problems (and/or needs more expensive RAM), Adrenalin did not boost GPU performance by 20%, CTS actually did find some legit exploits, Ryzen+ did not exceed the expected bounds of a stepping+process tweak, etc. People just don't like the tone of me pointing those things out.

But by all means, the raison d'etre of this forum is technical poo poo, we're supposed to call it out when something is technically-indefensible on this forum. Go for it, as long as it's a technically-substantiative argument.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 8, 2018

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

What? No, I argued that r/AMD has repeatedly hyped themselves into a bunch of technically-indefensible positions, and that I try to be the voice of reason here, despite the bleedover between SA and Reddit. I don't like seeing technically-indefensible arguments made here, and I call them out when I see them.

Anyone is more than free to call me out on claims they think are indefensible, most recently on the whole "CTS labs = fake news" thing that I actually turned out to be 100% right on. But people get too upset about the tone, and they miss the whole part where I repeatedly said "serious vunerability, limited impact, will be quickly patched", because they are emotionally invested in "zero vulnerability, zero impact".

That's actually happened quite a lot. Ryzen has not overtaken Kaby's IPC, it does have some persistent memory/opcache stability problems (and/or needs more expensive RAM), CTS actually did find some legit exploits, etc. People just don't like the tone of me pointing those things out.

But by all means, the raison d'etre of this forum is technical poo poo, we're supposed to call it out when something is technically-indefensible on this forum. Go for it, as long as it's a technically-substantiative argument.

Considering the questionable nature of the CTS release I think it was fair to dismiss it until it was verified by a third party. None of us had access to the actual white-paper which is what we would need to verify that the exploits where real ourselves. Your suspicions about the nature of the vulnerability were just that, suspicions.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I was not emotionally invested in there being no impact on AMD, if anything I was more emotionally invested in how poo poo capitalism can be. You're not going to get to the nuance of things if your first reaction to everything is getting defensive that someone disagreed with you.

We all need to have a little more patience. It's more satisfying to give people enough rope to hang themselves than it is to write a rant about what you think they believe and miss the mark.

Edit: why are we arguing about this in the loving Intel thread.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 8, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Measly Twerp posted:

Considering the questionable nature of the CTS release I think it was fair to dismiss it until it was verified by a third party. None of us had access to the actual white-paper which is what we would need to verify that the exploits where real ourselves. Your suspicions about the nature of the vulnerability were just that, suspicions.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I was not emotionally invested in there being no impact on AMD, if anything I was more emotionally invested in how poo poo capitalism can be. You're not going to get to the nuance of things if your first reaction to everything is getting defensive that someone disagreed with you.

We all need to have a little more patience. It's more satisfying to give people enough rope to hang themselves than it is to write a rant about what you think they believe and miss the mark.

That's completely fair on the CTS thing from an academic perspective, but my train of thought was that nobody would actually report "root access lets you do root things" as an exploit. I read into the vulnerabilities exactly what I was supposed to read into the vulnerabilities. AMD confirmed it, everyone who downplayed it was wrong.

As for getting defensive, I also literally pointed out that Intel had had a similar exploit less than 6 months ago. I have no horse in this race. It's literally going to be patched in weeks, I am astonished it's not patched already. CTS Labs were always wrong on the whole "AMD can't patch this" bullshit and I said as much.

(if you want a libreboot/no-PSP thing, it's even potentially a huge boon)

I really wish that people could try to set aside the brand-loyalty stuff and just tell me in pure technical terms why I'm a loving idiot for thinking what I am. I really detest the whole "it's paul ignore it" cheerleading. If I'm wrong tell me why.

(I do have a stake in the Spectre/Meltdown incident, as a 5820K owner, but time has proven that it's a non-issue for consumer usage... and most usage except DB and web-front-ends. Which is not something I am personally invested in, lol)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 8, 2018

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's completely fair on the CTS thing from an academic perspective, but my train of thought was that nobody would actually report "root access lets you do root things" as an exploit. Intuition: they have a weird disclosure policy. I read into the vulnerabilities exactly what I was supposed to read into the vulnerabilities. AMD confirmed it, everyone who downplayed it was wrong.

As for getting defensive, I also literally pointed out that Intel had had a similar exploit less than 6 months ago. I have no horse in this race. It's literally going to be patched in weeks, I am astonished it's not patched already. CTS Labs were always wrong on the whole "AMD can't patch this" bullshit and I said as much.

You're posting is good for the most part, it's just on occasion you get super odd about it and I don't know why because I'm not in your head.

quote:

My greatest wish of all is that nobody would respond emotionally and just tell me in pure technical terms why I'm a loving idiot for thinking what I am. I really detest the whole "it's paul ignore it" cheerleading. That poo poo actually isn't even supposed to be allowed on SA. If I'm wrong tell me why.

If there's one thing you can be sure of it's that people will get emotional about anything at any time. I'm trying to give up my angry internet guy tendencies, I used to be one of those atheists before the alt-right infested that community. I'd try and be hyper rational about everything, write big long rants and shout at people on twitter.

That's just not a productive way to talk to people, emotions are a critical part of human experience and expecting everyone else to always be on their A-game is unreasonable. At the end of the day it comes down to social skills, some people are really good at making an argument without being a dick about it, you and I not so much.

I guess this does make it about tone? I'm not really sure because nobody has ever explained what they mean by a "tone argument" to me. I'll just point out that there's a reason people like Richard Dawkins and Richard Stallman are basically a joke, they may technically be right, but they're also such a pair of dicks (hah) that everyone has a hard time taking them seriously.

quote:

(I do have a stake in the Spectre/Meltdown incident, as a 5820K owner, but time has proven that it's a non-issue for consumer usage... and most usage except DB and web-front-ends. Which is not something I am personally invested in, lol)

I've got about 40 web servers to look after, all with Intel hardware running. That was quite alarming time for me even if the net effect was negligible, it did cause undue worry and stress.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Usually what's happening there is I'm fishmeching out on some technical point. Possibly because I spent years arguing with fishmech on technical points. Working on that.

Arguments do make a difference. I did overemphasize the Ryzen teething issues, even though I did acknowledge they were teething issues. Ryzen is a decent platform now, and I've made a couple posts on how it's set to overtake Intel in 2019. I made arguments, people made arguments back, I changed my mind, that's how it works.

I don't care about Dawkins/Stallman, I just want to see people addressing the technical points I'm making instead of just going "oh it's paul". That's the laziest cheerleading poo poo.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 8, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Shut the gently caress up you idiots. Go hate gently caress each other in private messages. You both talk like you miss your therapists.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
This never would have managed if Cyrix was still around!!!!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Wirth1000 posted:

This never would have managed if Cyrix was still around!!!!

They are still around.

The just make lovely low power x86 chips on the ultra cheap.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cyrix has been dead for 20 years my dude. NatSemi bought them, then flipped them to VIA, who used the ip to make their low power C3 chips. They were still repackaging it for the embedded market, even making a quad core version called Eden x4, but it’s not in production anymore. They are using ARM now.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Paul MaudDib posted:

As for getting defensive, I also literally pointed out that Intel had had a similar exploit less than 6 months ago.

No, they didn't. None of the exploits CTS found were usable from a virtualized environment, and they never even theorized a remote vector for any of them. Spectre / Meltdown are serious vulnerabilities, the CTS findings are absolutely not.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love the idea of the Intel superfan "just setting things right" on the AMD subreddit.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like how the thread title has multiple correct meanings

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Tone policing? Really?

Also, we still doing the Hurr Durr Durr Reddit thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cygni posted:

Cyrix has been dead for 20 years my dude. NatSemi bought them, then flipped them to VIA, who used the ip to make their low power C3 chips. They were still repackaging it for the embedded market, even making a quad core version called Eden x4, but it’s not in production anymore. They are using ARM now.

Centaur still Hauls, in China