Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Len posted:

This is what I'm talking about :

There's no x on the "now" stuff only the "earlier" stuff has an x:

Is the iPad locked? I feel like it would make sense that you can't clear them if the phone is still locked but I dunno, I've never seen that screen without the (x) buttons like Quantum posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's an iOS11 bug, the "clear all" option only appears if you have >1 day of notifications.

edit: Or apparently if you have an "earlier today" subheading?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You’re all missing the point, there’s no X on recently received notifications. He wants a fast way to clear a bunch of recent ones and AFAIK there’s no way besides either ignoring them until they become “Earlier Today” or swiping them one by one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FCKGW posted:

You’re all missing the point, there’s no X on recently received notifications. He wants a fast way to clear a bunch of recent ones and AFAIK there’s no way besides either ignoring them until they become “Earlier Today” or swiping them one by one.

Even having them swipe away as easy as Android would be nice. Unless I'm doing it wrong left swipe brings up a box that says "clear" and swiping right open the thing. On my phone swiping either way just clears it out with no further questions and clicking it opens the app.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just set up my new iPad and holy poo poo that was so cool. “Hold your iPhone close to your iPad and have it configure all the things” :aaa:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah that owns. Works with other Apple stuff too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Len posted:

Even having them swipe away as easy as Android would be nice. Unless I'm doing it wrong left swipe brings up a box that says "clear" and swiping right open the thing. On my phone swiping either way just clears it out with no further questions and clicking it opens the app.

I get what you’re saying now and it feels like it’s a bug or should be. To get around this problem you need to lock the device and unlock it, then when you pull down again it’ll have the x button.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does the silicon back covers for the iPad Pro 9.7” work with the new iPad?

Are glass screen protectors worth it or are they all pretty terrible? I don’t use one on my phone and I don’t have any scratches I notice, but I always put my phone in it’s own pocket in my pants and in general don’t care about scratching it since it too much. With the iPad it’ll just be thrown into a bag so I’m worried about scratching it.

e: When I plug my iPad into my laptop (or the monitor) it says "not charging" up at the top, yet the same cable/ports charge my iPhone just fine. Is it not possible to charge iPads via USB from a computer cause of wattage or something?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 8, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Haven’t seen it for a couple years but the “not charging” thing used to signify it was charging but not very fast. Probably because it’s getting half an amp or less, I always guessed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is possible that the laptop USB ports don't put out enough power to charge it effectively. IIRC it still charges but very slowly and the power coming in through the cord isn't even enough to keep up with the power used during normal usage so if you are using while it is plugged in like that then you will probably still see the battery level go down. The same thing can happen if you plug it into an older iphone adapter.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does the silicon back covers for the iPad Pro 9.7” work with the new iPad?

Are glass screen protectors worth it or are they all pretty terrible? I don’t use one on my phone and I don’t have any scratches I notice, but I always put my phone in it’s own pocket in my pants and in general don’t care about scratching it since it too much. With the iPad it’ll just be thrown into a bag so I’m worried about scratching it.

e: When I plug my iPad into my laptop (or the monitor) it says "not charging" up at the top, yet the same cable/ports charge my iPhone just fine. Is it not possible to charge iPads via USB from a computer cause of wattage or something?

Don't know, but probably not. The 2017 and 2018 iPads are a bit thicker than an iPad Pro (or Air 2). An Air 1 one would likely work if the buttons are in the same places.

I wouldn't bother unless you're carrying it with you places.

Correct. You used to be able to trickle charge an iPad off a standard USB port, but couldn't use it at the same time, though I'm not sure if that's even the case. Some PCs have non-standard ports that are designed to charge high-power devices, but I'm not sure how to tell.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ok. That's pretty cool. I always assumed Files was just for file access on the iOS device. I never realized it accessed iCloud too.

Do you know if Apple has something like that for their computers too? As far as I can tell that iCloud requires me to store the files on a computer and then sync it across devices, which is annoying if you're looking for something more like Dropbox.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
On a Mac, your iCloud Drive shows up as a folder in Finder (macOS File Explorer), and seems to work just like your Dropbox folder (which also keeps a local copy).

Don’t think there’s a Files app on Macs but I haven’t upgraded to High Sierra.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

Ok. That's pretty cool. I always assumed Files was just for file access on the iOS device. I never realized it accessed iCloud too.

Do you know if Apple has something like that for their computers too? As far as I can tell that iCloud requires me to store the files on a computer and then sync it across devices, which is annoying if you're looking for something more like Dropbox.

There doesn’t need to be an app, it’s baked into macOS. You can save anything and make any folder in the iCloud on macOS. It’s on the right in a Finder window. Anything saved there is automatically synched up to your iCloud.

If you have more questions about macOS stuff go the macOS thread. You’ll get better answers, likely.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yes, the problem is the part where it keeps a copy on my computer.

I guess iCloud isn't supposed to be like Dropbox, but I've got 1.7gb of space that I can't use because I don't have a Mac with that much space. Which kind of sucks. I could keep everything is my Documents and Desktop folders I guess...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Len posted:

If i have a fuckload of discord notifications from the day how do i quickly clear them all? My android just has a clear all button but i cant seem to find it on this ipad. Does such a thing exist?
If you open Discord (or whatever app with the notifications) it should clear them out. Like in that screenshot where Becca is F-ing you, viewing the messages should clear all them out. It might not be just opening the app, it might be to the specific notification relevant view in the app. Like opening Messages itself might not be enough, you might have to be viewing Becca's messages to clear it out.

And a little observation from someone that has an iPhone SE and iPad mini (i.e. two devices without 3D Touch): pressing and holding on notifications on the iPad act like (a slow) 3D Touch and expand them, while to do the same on iPhone SE requires you to swipe left and hit the view button. Then there’s stuff like the X/clear all button, which doesn’t have the long hold/3D Touch like action at all and only takes taps.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yes, the problem is the part where it keeps a copy on my computer.

I guess iCloud isn't supposed to be like Dropbox, but I've got 1.7gb of space that I can't use because I don't have a Mac with that much space. Which kind of sucks. I could keep everything is my Documents and Desktop folders I guess...

What are you trying to do? Dropbox keeps files on the computer too so I’m not sure I understand what the problem is. If the issue is you don’t have a Mac then you can also install it on your Windows pc

If you just want to move those 1.7GB elsewhere but not delete it you can link your iCloud Drive with your Dropbox and move everything over from your iPad or iPhone. You’d have to just select all the files you want to move, hit share and copy to Dropbox, and then you could just delete it from iCloud Drive.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Someone on reddit a few weeks back baked off a script that lets you delete local copies of stuff stored in iCloud but no way I'd ever use it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

What are you trying to do? Dropbox keeps files on the computer too so I’m not sure I understand what the problem is. If the issue is you don’t have a Mac then you can also install it on your Windows pc

If you just want to move those 1.7GB elsewhere but not delete it you can link your iCloud Drive with your Dropbox and move everything over from your iPad or iPhone. You’d have to just select all the files you want to move, hit share and copy to Dropbox, and then you could just delete it from iCloud Drive.

Dropbox will let you use it as pure cloud based storage though. Like with iCloud I'd need to have at least one Mac with everything that's on my iCloud drive and then I could pick and choose what gets downloaded with other devices. That wouldn't be a problem except you probably need to be Tim Cook these days to afford a new Mac laptop with 2tb of storage.

I recently resurrected an old Mac Mini so perhaps I can configure one of it's external drives as my iCloud storage. I'm just trying to find ways to make iCloud more worthwhile since I've been banging up against my free DropBox storage limits for months now. Also, I forgot iCloud for Windows was a thing and my Windows PC doesn't date back to Obama's first term so it should be marginally more reliable. :)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Not sure if relevant but iCloud for windows is terrible actually does download every single bit off your iCloud to the pc or at least last time I uninstalled iCloud for windows it was because of that. On my my Mac or iPad iCloud def doesn’t download anything except what I tell it to. Keep in mind in the last few updates to iCloud, Apple added folders like desktop which are kept 1:1 in which if you place anything it will download to your Mac desktop

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 9, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
On a Mac you can turn on “optimize storage” for your iCloud folder (like Photos on an iPad) if you don’t have enough disc space, but I’ve never done it so I don’t know exactly how it works.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I've been looking at consolidating my cloud storage services yesterday and wow, Dropbox's prices are so bad compared to everyone else's. It's hilarious that if I signed up today for their free tier I'd only get 2 GB, vs. 15 GB from Google or 50 GB from Apple for $1/month.

(Also I had no idea/forgot that Dropbox had selective syncing, Krispy Wafer.)

Anyway, I was looking for a way to clear out the local iCloud files on my iPad since I was previewing a lot of them and they were only being downloaded when I tapped on them and there isn't a way short of signing out from iCloud altogether and signing back in. I thought was kinda silly but looking into iCloud and Apple's """philosophy""" made me get it.

In short (and I could be very, very, wrong), Apple doesn't hold the concept of an "iCloud folder on my Mac" and an "iCloud folder on my iPad." They just view it as "there is one iCloud folder, and it exists on our servers." Previewing all those files on my iPad caused them all to be downloaded and cached locally for later viewing, but as far as Apple cares the iCloud folder on my iPad is the same exact one as on their servers with the only difference being whether or not the file has been locally cached. Presumably on macOS and iOS if I'm running low on space then iCloud will purge local caches that it doesn't think need to be immediately available. I have no idea if iCloud on Windows is integrated into the OS at that level to be able to do that.

e: iPad related: I regret buying a space gray iPad :(. I thought having the black bezels would be better for media consumption which it probably is, but since the iPad can be oriented in any direction I don't always immediately know where the touch id sensor is and the black bezel makes it difficult to see when it's dark.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 10, 2018

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've been looking at consolidating my cloud storage services yesterday and wow, Dropbox's prices are so bad compared to everyone else's. It's hilarious that if I signed up today for their free tier I'd only get 2 GB, vs. 15 GB from Google or 50 GB from Apple for $1/month.

Steve Jobs always said Dropbox was a great feature, but not a business.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

(Also I had no idea/forgot that Dropbox had selective syncing, Krispy Wafer.)

Anyway, I was looking for a way to clear out the local iCloud files on my iPad since I was previewing a lot of them and they were only being downloaded when I tapped on them and there isn't a way short of signing out from iCloud altogether and signing back in. I thought was kinda silly but looking into iCloud and Apple's """philosophy""" made me get it.

In short (and I could be very, very, wrong), Apple doesn't hold the concept of an "iCloud folder on my Mac" and an "iCloud folder on my iPad." They just view it as "there is one iCloud folder, and it exists on our servers." Previewing all those files on my iPad caused them all to be downloaded and cached locally for later viewing, but as far as Apple cares the iCloud folder on my iPad is the same exact one as on their servers with the only difference being whether or not the file has been locally cached. Presumably on macOS and iOS if I'm running low on space then iCloud will purge local caches that it doesn't think need to be immediately available. I have no idea if iCloud on Windows is integrated into the OS at that level to be able to do that.

e: iPad related: I regret buying a space gray iPad :(. I thought having the black bezels would be better for media consumption which it probably is, but since the iPad can be oriented in any direction I don't always immediately know where the touch id sensor is and the black bezel makes it difficult to see when it's dark.

Dropbox's pricing is frustrating. I had to go for their TB of service for a few months to store some files for sharing and they desperately need a mid-tier. I've accumulated 10gb of space over the years and would gladly pay for 200 more if they let me.

iCloud isn't as fast or as flexible, but their family plan makes life so much easier when you have 4 iPhone users in your household.

EDIT: got an open box smart keyboard cover off of eBay for my new 12.9. It's...nice. Heavier than expected. Almost too heavy as it disconnects when I'm trying to move it from keyboard mode to cover mode. The keyboard feels good, but I dislike the fact it's not backlit. Guess I'd better get better at touch typing.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 10, 2018

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Boris Galerkin posted:

Krispy Wafer posted:

Dropbox's pricing is frustrating. I had to go for their TB of service for a few months to store some files for sharing and they desperately need a mid-tier. I've accumulated 10gb of space over the years and would gladly pay for 200 more if they let me.

iCloud isn't as fast or as flexible, but their family plan makes life so much easier when you have 4 iPhone users in your household.

EDIT: got an open box smart keyboard cover off of eBay for my new 12.9. It's...nice. Heavier than expected. Almost too heavy as it disconnects when I'm trying to move it from keyboard mode to cover mode. The keyboard feels good, but I dislike the fact it's not backlit. Guess I'd better get better at touch typing.

Yeah, I use the 200GB iCloud tier and it’s great value for my needs (100GB Photos library, backups, sharing with family). If Dropbox gave me a $3 or $5 option for even just 100GB, I’d be all over that. Instead they offer 1TB and get zero of my dollars. On top of that, they’ve gimped features in the app for free tier users (see: Make Available Offline).

Ideally, Apple would give iCloud Drive some of the features that Dropbox has. At this point a selective sync tool for a folder would make me real happy. Yeah, I get the “optimise storage” option is part of Apple’s It Just Works ethos, but damnit, let me janitor the stuff I want. It would be great if they’d just work all of that into the Files app, along with offering more functionality for the other storage services it supports.

(Also yeah I wish the Smart Keyboard was backlit :( )

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I very vaguely remember some issues with iCloud Photo Library when I last enabled it on iOS. Is anyone using it without issue these days across iOS and macOS?

I assume this won't download it all to my MacBook's iPhoto or whatever.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ufarn posted:

I very vaguely remember some issues with iCloud Photo Library when I last enabled it on iOS. Is anyone using it without issue these days across iOS and macOS?

I assume this won't download it all to my MacBook's iPhoto or whatever.

I've had zero issues with it. It just works across my iPhone, iPad and rMBP.

If you select "Optimize Photo Storage" in the Photos prefs, the full resolution stuff lives in iCloud.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hello Spaceman posted:

Yeah, I use the 200GB iCloud tier and it’s great value for my needs (100GB Photos library, backups, sharing with family).

This is for sure the best storage for iPhone/iPad. If you have a family, sharing it with them is very easy because 200GB is a FUCKTON of space, and my mother takes photos of every baby and dog she sees.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I've been using Notability as a scratchpad to take notes on and to write down random thoughts/things I need to do at or for work. I really like the infinite scrolling (works really well for long math problems) but one thing I'm missing is the ability to jump from notebook to notebook. I would like to have one for "things I need to do that I'll process later" and one for "general scratchpad for today for solving equations or writing things down that I immediately need.

I think essentially what I need are tabs. What's another good app that gives me that?

One thing that would be absolutely critical to have is the ability to select arbitrary shapes of things, and to cut/move/paste them elsewhere in the document. Notability does this very well and it's very very cool.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've been using Notability as a scratchpad to take notes on and to write down random thoughts/things I need to do at or for work. I really like the infinite scrolling (works really well for long math problems) but one thing I'm missing is the ability to jump from notebook to notebook. I would like to have one for "things I need to do that I'll process later" and one for "general scratchpad for today for solving equations or writing things down that I immediately need.

I think essentially what I need are tabs. What's another good app that gives me that?

One thing that would be absolutely critical to have is the ability to select arbitrary shapes of things, and to cut/move/paste them elsewhere in the document. Notability does this very well and it's very very cool.

Noteshelf is my go to note taking app, it uses (as is hinted at by the name) a shelf motif and you have a bunch of journals. They have iCloud backup now (before it was entirely Dropbox) and a good selection of papers and journal covers. It has the same arbitrary selection cut and paste loops.

However, if you like and use Notability, can you not create "subjects" in the left column?

Another option is OneNote which is really good on the iPad. I'm thinking of moving over to that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OneNote is good and what I use but the mobile app and the windows 10 (and Mac) apps are horribly trimmed of a ton of features the main app (2016) has and it’s incredibly loving stupid and aggravating. Like I have no idea why “mobile” versions need to be so loving basic nowadays. I can’t manage page templates, set paper sizes (sometimes for staff meetings I’ll print my notes to hand out) on the iPad (or Mac, or Win10). I also can’t change views so I’m double hosed if I accidentally change the width when adding a photo or anything.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

Noteshelf is my go to note taking app, it uses (as is hinted at by the name) a shelf motif and you have a bunch of journals. They have iCloud backup now (before it was entirely Dropbox) and a good selection of papers and journal covers. It has the same arbitrary selection cut and paste loops.

However, if you like and use Notability, can you not create "subjects" in the left column?

Another option is OneNote which is really good on the iPad. I'm thinking of moving over to that.

I have subjects, it’s just switching notebooks takes like 3 taps (exit current notebook, pick the right subject, tap the new notebook). I know that this takes almost no effort but it’s something that I’m constantly doing over and over again. I don’t need to view two notebooks at the same time, I just need to be able to switch notebooks with 1 tap vs 3.

I’m looking at the video previews on Noteshelf 2’s app page and it doesn’t look like it solves my problem. In fact I think it makes it worse because it looks like I only get one “shelf” for all things? I have a “scratch” subject in Notability for work, and I start a new blank notebook in that every morning. I also have a “tomorrow” subject, where I start a new notebook every day to write down what I’ve done today and what I need to do tomorrow, while everything is still fresh in my mind.

One Note would be perfect I think, if it didn’t have horizontal scrolling. When I first tried it that was the only thing I noticed and I hate it.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So I was a a dork and somehow (fell asleep with it) my Air 2 got bent. I got it most of the way back to normal, but I’m afraid it might be the beginning of the end of it. Bringing it to the Apple store tomorrow to have it looked at.

If I need a replacement, is the new basic pad the way to go? I heard it’s thicker and has a worse screen? But then again it’s like half the price of what I paid for the Air 2/the current Pro.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GigaPeon posted:

So I was a a dork and somehow (fell asleep with it) my Air 2 got bent. I got it most of the way back to normal, but I’m afraid it might be the beginning of the end of it. Bringing it to the Apple store tomorrow to have it looked at.

If I need a replacement, is the new basic pad the way to go? I heard it’s thicker and has a worse screen? But then again it’s like half the price of what I paid for the Air 2/the current Pro.

What do you use it for?

If it's just Netflix, browsing, Awful app, etc... the new basic will probably work fine.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Proteus Jones posted:

What do you use it for?

If it's just Netflix, browsing, Awful app, etc... the new basic will probably work fine.

Yeah those things and Desert Golf/Hearthstone, basically. Does it feel “cheap”?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

No?

It’s not made of plastic or anything.

e: The front feels like glass and the back feels like aluminum, like my iPhone. The resolution and DPI of the new iPad is the exact same as the iPad Air 1 and 2 according to Wikipedia.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 12, 2018

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

GigaPeon posted:

Yeah those things and Desert Golf/Hearthstone, basically. Does it feel “cheap”?

ITO quality, Apple cheap outpaces any other manufacturer’s cheap.
You’re buying an entry-level Ferrari, not a Geo Metro.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Fair enough. The Air2 was like perfect basically. I guess I don’t get why they messed with it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm trading my Air2 in for the new one because the Air2 was only 16gb, which sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GigaPeon posted:

Fair enough. The Air2 was like perfect basically. I guess I don’t get why they messed with it.

They weren't selling enough Air 2's and couldn't make them cheap enough at the new price point.

We should be happy Apple didn't abandon the low end tablet market altogether. If it was Jobs instead of Cook, we probably wouldn't have a new iPad or iPhone SE.