Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

getting to play against people who actually know how to play this game is cool and something that basically no other game with this level of popularity does

PUBG does it. WoW does it. Almost every game does it? Matchmaking, that is.

Edit: Unless you mean that it's cool as a random newbie to see Bob the Builder go at it in a random game, in which case I agree. But that's still no argument against matchmaking, seeing as Quick Match will be plenty popular still, even with ranked matchmaking.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's surprising how many people in this thread have seemingly forgotten that League of Legends exists.

I tried the beta but it's a bad game like all mobas. Does it not have matchmaking?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rexxed posted:

I tried the beta but it's a bad game like all mobas. Does it not have matchmaking?

Yes, it does have it and back in 2016 was played by twice more people than Fortnite is now. That's the point.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Having a separate ranked area is fine, but as an, at best, average player, I like the skill variance in the game and it's a pretty major drawcard for me, but then I grew up with community servers so a sliding gradient of skill in matchmaking seems to take all sense of skill progression out of many games for me.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

God I'm so bad at this loving game, I'm too used to FPP and more realistic play

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Matchmaking is bad and lame. I enjoy having both tougher and weaker opponents in a game. Gives a greater variety and allows you to get better by facing tougher competition.

Constantly playing only around the same skill level is frustrating when you have a bad game (or few games) and less satisfying when you do well.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Otoh with matchmaking, an actual good system, you'd see yourself improving through ranks. And play against like minded people, with a region lock so you don't see some jackass with 300 ping lagging around. You'll still see plenty of players who are way out of your league even in ranked matches. Like people coming back after a break and having dropped a few ranks.

E: I realize region lock could be implemented outside of matchmaking as well, it's just easier to only enforce it there. And in the end it really doesn't matter, if you don't want matchmaking you can just stick with quick matches. It's not like you're going to run out of people with 3m+ concurrent players.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 8, 2018

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Looking forward to all the changes that Epic will make to S4. Need to actually find the new datamined skins tho before buying anything in the store. :negative:

Towers getting nuked is gonna be a welcome change

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

AAB posted:

Towers getting nuked is gonna be a welcome change

What they doin?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Ive played like 40 games and never seen a rocket launcher. What’s the deal? Both times I got to #2 the other player seemed to have an infinite amount of rockets to shoot at my cover.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tomahawk posted:

Ive played like 40 games and never seen a rocket launcher. What’s the deal? Both times I got to #2 the other player seemed to have an infinite amount of rockets to shoot at my cover.

Kill them and take theirs

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Bottom Liner posted:

What they doin?

Popular theory about the comet is it will wipe out tilted towers, because it ruins the game somehow.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tomahawk posted:

Good backup variant, if all your chests are never lucky, is to just open supply drops.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
Best advice for newbie is to be the last to jump off so you have time to wander and goof around

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Best advice, land in tilted x 1000

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

tyrelhill posted:

Best advice for newbie is to be the last to jump off so you have time to wander and goof around

If you want to waste time and never actually get good at the game.

Land in TT if you want to actually get good at winning fights and therefore winning games.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

People should stop advising landing in tilted for newb experience. The fighting there is different than any other location due to the huge tall buildings and you're much more likely to just get killed randomly. There are plenty of normal high traffic areas to drop instead like Retail Row or Salty Springs which will be way less frustrating and more "realistic" experience.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

tyrelhill posted:

Yea I’ve gotten stuck in build mode a few times on ps4. Luckily only died from it once so far.

Is there a way to change the order of build stuff? I’d rather have wall next to ramp :/

This has been mentioned before, but I also change my roof piece to a ramp during the waiting lobby. Wall and "stairs" are one click away from each other.

I also recently enabled my build pieces to reset when I switch from combat. I've developed muscle memory to building and it has helped.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kiranamos posted:

People should stop advising landing in tilted for newb experience. The fighting there is different than any other location due to the huge tall buildings and you're much more likely to just get killed randomly. There are plenty of normal high traffic areas to drop instead like Retail Row or Salty Springs which will be way less frustrating and more "realistic" experience.

The whole idea is pretty much the opposite of getting a realistic experience. Sole point of dropping tilted is so that you can have a gun fight every 20 seconds instead of every 2 minutes and get used to primary combat mechanics faster.

Besides that, if you can consistently make out of TT with halfway decent haul on a regular basis, you will absolutely destroy most people out there that aren't buildlords or fellow tilters.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Kiranamos posted:

I agree. Tilted is good for close range shotgun practice but I prefer dropping in salty/greasy/retail or pleasant park more.

I think I am finally improving in the game after like 100 hours. Finally started making it to the top 5 with regularity with 5-8 kills on the way. I just need to be faster at building because I keep dying to people building above me and shotgunning my face. :smith:

Edit: Just won my first solo! :unsmith:

keyframe fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 8, 2018

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think dusty depot is the best newbie drop zone because it has some obvious landing areas and there'll probably be two or three other people there that are easier to track movements on. it's like a miniature version of the actual drop zones

this does mean that once you start getting consistently good at the early game stuff and start surviving, you'll be coming out of there with like two green pistols with no ammo left, but it's still pretty fun

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes, it does have it and back in 2016 was played by twice more people than Fortnite is now. That's the point.

league of legends has matchmaking on every game mode, even the silly joke event queues. a bad or new player of league of legends will never get to see how good people play if they don't watch streams. matchmaking is a good thing in league of legends' case since losing is a tedious and drawn out process even if you're getting stomped, but it doesn't matter as much for fortnite where there's a maximum of one minute between dying in one game and being in the next

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The whole idea is pretty much the opposite of getting a realistic experience. Sole point of dropping tilted is so that you can have a gun fight every 20 seconds instead of every 2 minutes and get used to primary combat mechanics faster.

Besides that, if you can consistently make out of TT with halfway decent haul on a regular basis, you will absolutely destroy most people out there that aren't buildlords or fellow tilters.

Tilted is the single most likely place to die without a gun. Also, no point in wasting brain power learning chest and loot locations in Tilted, especially since it's being nuked (please god)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kiranamos posted:

Tilted is the single most likely place to die without a gun. Also, no point in wasting brain power learning chest and loot locations in Tilted, especially since it's being nuked (please god)

I’ve never power learned chest locations there or anything, just landed at the first gun I see and have a go at it, gosh. Dying every other game without a gun for me is arguably more beneficial than running through empty wasteland for 10 minutes, if you want to argue in extremalities. I get it, dude, you don’t like Tilted, but for practicing shooting guns there is no better place unless you stop each fight and kindly ask every other participant except the one you planned to shoot to cease and desist with their hostilities.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I feel very strongly about Frotnite.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Are the servers down? Keep getting login failures and sat in a queue for 5+ minutes

Seems like maybe login server issue, can't get into the website either.

*edit*

Also, their too many login attempts message is real good: "Sorry, you are visiting our service too frequent, please try again later."

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 8, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kiranamos posted:

I feel very strongly about Frotnite.

Looks like that, you’re the first person I see being mad about Tilted as a gun range.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I guess it depends on how new the person is to the game. Sure if they have been playing for a bit then hot dropping is good practice, but I generally recommend people to do far drops if they are brand new to BR-style games. Constantly hot dropping teaches people to hunt down trouble, rather than only engaging when it would be actually beneficial to them, which is a really bad habot.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Brand new to the genre sure, TT will be just too overwhelming. I wouldn’t though focus as much on strictly beneficial engagements, that is ultimately a boring play style that limits you to abstaining from the best loot crates in the game, fellow players. That’s when it becomes handy to understand what fights you can and cannot win.

It’s basically the “winning games” chat all over again. Eventually, you can lurk until the top but then it’s a dice roll if you can kill the last Rambo alive.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Looks like that, you’re the first person I see being mad about Tilted as a gun range.

I am not mad, I am a mature, self-actualized adult.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Johnny Truant posted:

Did I misread it and think you had to do it multiple times? Cause I had it completed like, incredibly quickly this morning. Do the llamas count for multiple drops? Cause that was the only supply drop I found, and afterwards I had completed the challenge.

Also, wtf, llamas?

I'm usually dead before I can find a supply drop. I've had llamas count as a supply drop for other challenges.

I'd hold off on speculation that Tilted is being removed until it actually happens. I'd bet the comet is going to randomly bomb different areas of the map like the bombs in PUBG. No one knows what it's about until it happens.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

MF_James posted:

Are the servers down? Keep getting login failures and sat in a queue for 5+ minutes
Seems like maybe login server issue, can't get into the website either.
*edit*
Also, their too many login attempts message is real good: "Sorry, you are visiting our service too frequent, please try again later."

yeah, their login servers were getting hosed by a russian botnet using a dictionary/mailing list to try logging in to all the accounts. another good reminder to enable 2fa. should be resolved now though

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I loving hated tilted, as someone new to BR. I like it now, but telling newbies to go for tilted is like saying "dude, you know it feels way better if you restrict your airflow while jerkin off"

That's an advanced trick, let them figure out the basics first, goddamn.

it was meant to be funny

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I'm having loads of fun with Fortnite but I wish there was a training map or something you could go on and really learn to build. It's such an important skill in the game and watching the way some streamers build so quickly to gain height and defences it's crucial for lategame fights and I just can't practice it unless I waste ages farming mats to practice building in some far-off corner of the map and hope that no one else drops nearby to harass me.

EDIT: Also I'm mildly steamed that after hours of dropping Tilted trying to get a trap elimination yesterday I finally did...after I was dead. I was even still spectating but apparently that doesn't count to the challenge. It's the last challenge I have outstanding damnit.

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 9, 2018

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Cluncho McChunk posted:

EDIT: Also I'm mildly steamed that after hours of dropping Tilted trying to get a trap elimination yesterday I finally did...after I was dead. I was even still spectating but apparently that doesn't count to the challenge. It's the last challenge I have outstanding damnit.

Was it the same person who killed you? I got my trap elimination when the dude who killed me immediately (within 15 seconds) ran in to get my loot and died to my trap while I watched.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Asnorban posted:

Was it the same person who killed you? I got my trap elimination when the dude who killed me immediately (within 15 seconds) ran in to get my loot and died to my trap while I watched.

No, someone else he was fighting in a street in Tilted ran into the building looking for cover.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Why did they put Lucky Landing where it is, it never gets any traffic and it's such a cool place visually. Slam that meteor into Tilted already god drat it

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I finally got my non fluke victory royale. Duo'd up with a guy who definitely carried me a bit, but I was pretty happy with my teamwork and it was definitely a team win rather than me hiding and getting carried.

It's so nice to play with people that use compass number callouts rather than "over there" to indicate positions.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

tote up a bags posted:

Why did they put Lucky Landing where it is, it never gets any traffic and it's such a cool place visually. Slam that meteor into Tilted already god drat it

I love it. It's the new haunted hills for me when I want to play it slow and steady.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

tweet my meat posted:

I finally got my non fluke victory royale. Duo'd up with a guy who definitely carried me a bit, but I was pretty happy with my teamwork and it was definitely a team win rather than me hiding and getting carried.

It's so nice to play with people that use compass number callouts rather than "over there" to indicate positions.

I do this still from time to time and it has mostly involved to me saying we neef to go to a specific spot and nobody else on my team has the map memorized. We don't know where that spot is is frequently yelled at me. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

tote up a bags posted:

I love Lucky Landing, if it makes sense with the bus route I'll try to land there. It's an easy place to gather through and clean out with plenty of time left for a fight or two or get to a far away first circle.