Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

Barney got boring when he quit drinking.

Speaking of which, has Homer run a microbrewery yet?

Homer made booze at home in one of the best episodes ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
There’s a newish one where homer makes moonshine. It’s the one where Lisa becomes a Wiccan.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SEX BURRITO posted:

It’s the one where Lisa becomes a Wiccan.

And gets punished for it, I assume.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SEX BURRITO posted:

There’s a newish one where homer makes moonshine. It’s the one where Lisa becomes a Wiccan.
The Simpson family becomes helplessly stuck in traffic while returning from a ski vacation. To pass the time, Bart, Lisa and Maggie spend hours playing the repetitive and noisy game "Bonk-It", much to Marge and Homer's annoyance. Homer loses his patience and throws the toy out the window, where it is crushed by passing vehicles. By a twist of fate, another father throws his children's Bonk-It out of a car window, and it lands in the hands of the Simpson children. Eventually the batteries run out, but Bart plugs the toy into the car's cigarette lighter, causing it to play even faster. His patience long gone, Homer smashes the Bonk-It with his foot, but it becomes lodged under the brake pedal. He loses control of the vehicle, hits a deer reminiscent of Bambi and ends up on a frozen lake, where a mysterious person drags them out. When the family wakes up, they discover that the mysterious person who saved them was Cletus. Cletus tells Homer about moonshine, and invites him to taste the latest batch. Homer impresses Cletus and his hillbilly friends with his moonshine-tasting skills and is invited to be the judge of a moonshine competition.

Meanwhile, Bart and Cletus's sons play with a box of grenades that Cletus's wife Brandine, a former soldier, had brought back from Iraq, and Lisa plays hide and seek with Cletus's daughters. They do not find her, and Lisa gets lost in the woods. Trying to find her way back, she encounters three girls who are Wiccans, practicing their full moon Esbat. Lisa is initially skeptical of their ability to cast spells, but becomes interested after she happens to mention in the witches' Circle that she wishes she did not have to hand in her unfinished art project, and her wish comes true when Miss Hoover is taken ill with a stomach virus. The girls ask Lisa to join their coven and she accepts, but on the night of Lisa's induction, Chief Wiggum turns up after being tipped off by Ned Flanders and arrests the three girls on suspicion of witchcraft. Outside the courtroom, the girls say a chant, asking their goddess to 'show their persecutors that they are blind'. Many of the townspeople then suddenly become blind, and blame the three girls, who are then put on trial. When the judge dismisses the case, the townspeople decide to take the law into their own hands, and wish to drown the girls in an impromptu witch trial. Lisa, however, proves that the real culprits behind the town's temporary blindness are Homer and his friends, who threw their moonshine in to the town's reservoir after thinking that they were about to be arrested by the police. The girls are released, and Homer entertains himself by using the witch-dunking chair to binge drink the moonshine water, but falls off the chair into the river.

The episode ends with Lisa ice-skating on the frozen river to the song "Season of the Witch" while her skates carve a hole in the ice that frees Homer.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I keep reading that episode summary and laughing, but not for the reasons the show thinks it's funny.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Whats the problem, can't use Google?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Simpson family becomes helplessly stuck in traffic while returning from a ski vacation. To pass the time, Bart, Lisa and Maggie spend hours playing the repetitive and noisy game "Bonk-It", much to Marge and Homer's annoyance. Homer loses his patience and throws the toy out the window, where it is crushed by passing vehicles. By a twist of fate, another father throws his children's Bonk-It out of a car window, and it lands in the hands of the Simpson children. Eventually the batteries run out, but Bart plugs the toy into the car's cigarette lighter, causing it to play even faster. His patience long gone, Homer smashes the Bonk-It with his foot, but it becomes lodged under the brake pedal. He loses control of the vehicle, hits a deer reminiscent of Bambi and ends up on a frozen lake, where a mysterious person drags them out. When the family wakes up, they discover that the mysterious person who saved them was Cletus. Cletus tells Homer about moonshine, and invites him to taste the latest batch. Homer impresses Cletus and his hillbilly friends with his moonshine-tasting skills and is invited to be the judge of a moonshine competition.

Meanwhile, Bart and Cletus's sons play with a box of grenades that Cletus's wife Brandine, a former soldier, had brought back from Iraq, and Lisa plays hide and seek with Cletus's daughters. They do not find her, and Lisa gets lost in the woods. Trying to find her way back, she encounters three girls who are Wiccans, practicing their full moon Esbat. Lisa is initially skeptical of their ability to cast spells, but becomes interested after she happens to mention in the witches' Circle that she wishes she did not have to hand in her unfinished art project, and her wish comes true when Miss Hoover is taken ill with a stomach virus. The girls ask Lisa to join their coven and she accepts, but on the night of Lisa's induction, Chief Wiggum turns up after being tipped off by Ned Flanders and arrests the three girls on suspicion of witchcraft. Outside the courtroom, the girls say a chant, asking their goddess to 'show their persecutors that they are blind'. Many of the townspeople then suddenly become blind, and blame the three girls, who are then put on trial. When the judge dismisses the case, the townspeople decide to take the law into their own hands, and wish to drown the girls in an impromptu witch trial. Lisa, however, proves that the real culprits behind the town's temporary blindness are Homer and his friends, who threw their moonshine in to the town's reservoir after thinking that they were about to be arrested by the police. The girls are released, and Homer entertains himself by using the witch-dunking chair to binge drink the moonshine water, but falls off the chair into the river.

The episode ends with Lisa ice-skating on the frozen river to the song "Season of the Witch" while her skates carve a hole in the ice that frees Homer.

:chloe:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FactsAreUseless posted:

:psyboom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Hrist posted:

But who can forget the great new side character that very same episode gave us?

We'll never need Poochy again with this guy around.

lol

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

FactsAreUseless posted:

wait, sorry. bear with me. i've never read this thread, jumped to the last page and scrolled back a little bit and read this. is this actually a real episode of the animated television series called "the simpsons"? or did you make this up, as i am hoping you did?

if it somehow is real, what is the title of the episode?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Hrist posted:

But who can forget the great new side character that very same episode gave us?

We'll never need Poochy again with this guy around.

Is that Homsar's relative...? :raise:

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Damo posted:

wait, sorry. bear with me. i've never read this thread, jumped to the last page and scrolled back a little bit and read this. is this actually a real episode of the animated television series called "the simpsons"? or did you make this up, as i am hoping you did?

"Rednecks and Broomsticks"

http://pixa.club/en/the-simpsons/season-21/epizod-7-rednecks-and-broomsticks

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

Is that Homsar's relative...? :raise:

Bart made it by cutting out the lower half of Homer's face from his driver's license and then adding "eyes" to his chin.

He did this because Lisa became obsessed with Olympic mascot pins so hard that she traded away her pearl necklace to get more and this was Bart's attempt to scam the crooked pin salesman to get the necklace back.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Damo posted:

You should start from the beginning of the thread, every time a new episode plot comes up it seems like a joke and it never is.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/soham_burger/status/983200703660351488

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What? The writers and even Apu’s voice actor knew the character was offensive even back then but went with it since they thought it was still funny.

Of course modern Simpsons would respond in the dumbest way possible.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Admittedly it's easy for me to say because I'm not Indian, but Apu as an ethnic caricature in the golden seasons always seemed borderline offensive but in good jest. Like they played the stereotype up for occasional gags and the fact that they went there was part of the joke. I think the joke only got genuinely offensive around season 9-10 or so when they kept going deeper into that well for stories like his arranged marriage (complete with Homer dressed like bumbling Ganesh), plus doing poo poo like illustrating his apartment as having doors that look like an Indian palace or whatever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The funny thing about South Asian shopkeepers irl isn't that they've got heavy accents (though a lot and maybe most the of first generation one's absolutely do) but that their kids that they put to work or who take over the business always speak perfect regional english. Show wise, I think the most racist thing about Apu isn't his accent but rather other stuff, like most of the things related to being Indian or Hindu and crossing over that the stereotypes of being thrifty to the point of neglecting food safety statutes and ripping people off.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Like there's nothing wrong with having religious statues in their store but if you're implying they're all giddy to rip you off well....

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Apu has always been hell of offensive, and there's been groups against offensive stereotypes that have been campaigning against him from the start. I'm sure his portrayal in the Bad Simpsons is much worse than in the Golden Years, but that doesn't exonerate the latter. I never had a beef with Apu when I was watching the show, but that was mostly because I was too young and uninformed to realize just how damaging a caricature can be even when the character is portrayed as sympathetic.

The summary cuts out all the interstitial Family Guy-quality jokes, and is a far more pleasant experience than following that link.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Milo and POTUS posted:

Like there's nothing wrong with having religious statues in their store but if you're implying they're all giddy to rip you off well....
Essentially everyone on the simpsons is professionally corrupt, though. Apu is not at all unusual in that regard.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

That really is a tremendously lovely and lazy way to address the whole issue, god drat

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Damo posted:

It's real, and get this: I also posted it because I jumped to the last page and scrolled a bit and saw someone say something about Lisa becoming Wiccan so I looked it up.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Cletus the slack jawed yokel is offensive to white people too and must be removed. There must be no negative characters of any type.

Strudel Man posted:

Essentially everyone on the simpsons is professionally corrupt, though. Apu is not at all unusual in that regard.
This is true. Pretty much every character is a piece of poo poo at work. From the Mayor to the Police chief to Moe to Homer.

I think Lenny and Carl are the only characters with jobs that aren’t grossly negligent.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 9, 2018

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

lol they’ve talked before about how the original script notes from matt groening specified the convenience store clerk wasn’t supposed to be indian, but went ahead because the voice was funny. own up to your decisions, you jerks

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Turns out the lowest point of the Simpsons is when Hari Kondabula correctly predicted that most would loudly critique The Problem With Apu without actually watching it.

He likes the show and is a fan of a lot of the people that made it. Its more about being served an ice cream sundae with a cat turd shoved into one end than anything.

Kal Penn made a whole movie about Indians only being allowed to act as clerks and doctors like 14 years ago. There's a scene where he drops "Thank you, come again!" in an exaggerated accent as a gently caress you. Apu being a racist stereotype isn't a new idea.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watched the new one.

Bart wants to go a Minecraft convention and Homer won't let him, so he reads The Art of War and uses it to mentally break Homer. Daniel Radcliffe has a cameo at the convention where he gets swarmed by fans.

Marge decides to read Lisa her favorite book from her childhood. It turns out she forgot how racist it was. Marge starts editing out the racist parts. Marge characterizes this as "taking the spirit and character out of the book". Lisa objects that the new character is already perfect, therefore has no journey to complete. Then they do the Apu thing. Then they go to the university where a couple Ph.D.s tell her that the author was a lesbian who was writing a self-satire of her upbringing.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As far as the Apu thing, I feel like most of the time it's just people looking for something to complain about. Yeah, old stereotype, whatever.

I'm Italian, and I love the mob guys. Johnny Tightlips is one of my favorite things on the show. I imagine Apu is kind of the same level of 'racist' as they're supposed to be. I'd just feel stupid if I saw them as offensive though. :shrug:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Watched the new one.

Why?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:shrug:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

:sever:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Bum the Sad posted:

Cletus the slack jawed yokel is offensive to white people too and must be removed. There must be no negative characters of any type.

oh honey

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bum the Sad posted:

This is true. Pretty much every character is a piece of poo poo at work. From the Mayor to the Police chief to Moe to Homer.

I think Lenny and Carl are the only characters with jobs that aren’t grossly negligent.

Apu is voiced by a white guy doing a racist accent

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The solution to the Apu Problem is to end The Simpsons.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Apu is voiced by a white guy doing a racist accent
Lol you responded to a Bum the Sad post.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The solution to the Apu Problem is to end The Simpsons.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lol you responded to a Bum the Sad post.

I don't know who that is. I also don't care so don't explain it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly yeah, the simpsons has quite a few racist stereotypes. Whether it’s offensive or not is up probably up for debate, but they’ve always been very stereotypical. But the show is (was) funny so I’ve just kind of accepted it as a flaw the show has.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Definitely the panda rape. That went beyond "wellmeaning though flawed" (e.g. the questionable stereotypes and such) and just right into "what the hell am I watching" territory.

EDIT:

Hahaha what the gently caress

Okay I've seen this now and that's a strong contender for lowest point.

Ritznit fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

What the gently caress happened to Marge's voice?

What the hell's wrong with that nodding "animation"?? :gonk: