Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

For slicing, how long do you guys usually smoke pork shoulders at, and at what temperature? Is there a general time per pound guideline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

10 Beers posted:

For slicing, how long do you guys usually smoke pork shoulders at, and at what temperature? Is there a general time per pound guideline?

For slicing? I've only done pulled pork because it will pretty much fall apart afterwards, so you might be pulling yours sooner. Usually 1-2 hours per pound @225-250 (I pull at 203). There's a lot of variance with my smoker at least.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The glaze I had had hfcs in it. I'm sure I could have found one that didn't but wasn't planning on using it because they are all sugar heavy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thinking about buying one of these when I have enough money.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MBTOMWK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23VNXOVEF0FUP

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
How about saving up for a pork shoulder first

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Smoked wings tonight.

http://dontsweattherecipe.com/amazing-smoked-chicken-wings/#wprm-recipe-container-13338

Was good. I did them at 240 for 2 1/4 hours, then grilled for a couple of minutes each side. When I do them again I'll probably skip the grill. They were crispy enough out if the smoker.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The gently caress, man? 200 for cold smoker?

Why the gently caress don’t you get a few hundred hours smoking the classics?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Smoked wings tonight.

http://dontsweattherecipe.com/amazing-smoked-chicken-wings/#wprm-recipe-container-13338

Was good. I did them at 240 for 2 1/4 hours, then grilled for a couple of minutes each side. When I do them again I'll probably skip the grill. They were crispy enough out if the smoker.

I like my chicken skin super crispy and I've never managed to get them that way under like 400. Last time I did wings I smoked, pulled them under temp, then tossed them in the oven for a bit to crisp them up.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Internet Explorer posted:

Smoked wings tonight.

Those look amazing. Bookmarked for when the GD snow is gone.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DiggityDoink posted:

I like my chicken skin super crispy and I've never managed to get them that way under like 400. Last time I did wings I smoked, pulled them under temp, then tossed them in the oven for a bit to crisp them up.

Yeah, I was surprised they were as crispy as they were when I pulled them out. I have an electric smoker, but I doubt that's the reason. I'm still rather new to this and it was dark by the time I pulled them, so I'll have to pay more attention next time.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

Those look amazing. Bookmarked for when the GD snow is gone.

:same:

Did you use a water pan in your smoker for these or not? I assume they'd get more crispy without.

sellouts posted:

The gently caress, man? 200 for cold smoker?

Why the gently caress don’t you get a few hundred hours smoking the classics?

Just let him be. I agree that it's silly but gitmo gonna gitmo

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Smoked wings are great. Like the recipe basically states toss in olive oil and rub of your choice. Easy peesy. I should do some vortex ring thing now that I think about it.

And I agree about the snow...god dang snowed this morning. Supposed to be in the 60-70s this weekend. Might be wing weekend.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Larrymer posted:

:same:

Did you use a water pan in your smoker for these or not? I assume they'd get more crispy without.

I did! I have an MES 30, if that helps any. It was pretty windy out yesterday and even though I had the exhaust clamped down as low as I could, I'm wondering if wind was blowing in it, causing the element to run more, giving it more direct heat than normal?

I dunno! I didn't open the door at all the entire cook, so I didn't really keep an eye on them. I think I'll just pay more attention to them next time before just tossing them on the grill.

They were great, though. Highly recommend.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Cool, I will have to try them. I haven't smoked any chicken at all yet, something I need to remedy.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Made some smoked ice for bloody marys on Sunday. Turned out to be the best bloody mary I've ever had (not that I was an expert before).

Before pic below. You can smoke water, but ice has more surface area and smoke clings to cold surfaces.

After 30 minutes of smoking and refreezing:

Finished product using the recipe linked (rim is salted with Memphis Meathead Rub):

Bonus brat pic:

RisqueBarber fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 9, 2018

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

RisqueBarber posted:

(rim is salted with Memphis Meathead Rub):

you're under arrest

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Mob posted:

you're under arrest

Don't worry, there was no salt in the rub or on the glass.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i got pellet smoker!

what should I cook first in it? I have bacon curing right now and my wife LOVES kebabs. maybe do ribs this weekend?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

bewbies posted:

i got pellet smoker!

what should I cook first in it? I have bacon curing right now and my wife LOVES kebabs. maybe do ribs this weekend?

Make sure you season it first and burn off all the chemicals and poo poo inside before cooking anything. Otherwise, ribs and pulled pork are pretty easy first smokes. Ribs are harder because you can't really probe them for temps, it's more of a feel thing. I've done them a couple times and still haven't gotten them perfected yet. Brisket and PP were great first time and every time for me at least.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

bewbies posted:

i got pellet smoker!

Congrats.

Pulled pork.

Or Ostrich. Waiting on a post asking how to cold smoke and cure an Ostrich.

Seriously no matter what you cook, get some sausage and toss it in for lunch while dinner cranks. The cooker is going full tilt so toss on anything. A package of brats or whatever you can find. There are also fatties.

Decent weather can't get quick enough here. From 70 to 30 within 2 days.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Any opinions on using a Kettle Grill to smoke? Many folks online seem to prefer the results of wood on coals to pellets. Plus the cost of $200 vs $900 for a kettle versus a smoker is nice.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 12, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I do it just fine with my cheap Stok. Requires a little more work to get the flow and temps right but still a pretty straightforward process once you get it. I do plan on getting a dedicated smoker eventually once we add on to our patio but for now it works great.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any opinions on using a Kettle Grill to smoke? Many folks online seem to prefer the results of wood on coals to pellets. Plus the cost of $200 vs $900 for a kettle versus a smoker is nice.

I have a Weber gold 22.5” and a WSM bullet smoker, also 22.5”. I use the grill just as often to smoke things if it isn’t something that covers the whole grate, like tri tip or a small butt. I use the WSM for briskets and the two pack of butt from Costco and when I do a bunch of ribs.

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

This is real mystic and all, but uh, do you have anything to eat here?
So I had been looking for a smoker larger than my 35 gallon Pit Barrel Cooker recently since my catering is ramping up. I found this one made from a 60 gallon air compressor tank, and haggled 1/3 of the price off, happily found out it JUST fit in my friend’s Forester, and proceeded to burn it out for 6 hours yesterday since it hadn’t been used since this one 70 degree weekend we had in February up here in Boston.

Today it’s time for 4 racks of spare ribs and 4 chicken legs to start getting used to the new smoker.

(This pic is from one of the builder’s cooks, but it shows the inside nicely)

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

That's a gently caress ton of charcoal at the bottom. What does it take a whole bag?

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

That's a gently caress ton of charcoal at the bottom. What does it take a whole bag?

I’m not sure tbh. The previous owner/builder did have a grate in the bottom so I’m assuming that’s just one or two briquettes deep and not all the way in the bottom. Otherwise that would be two bags probably.

I’m gonna use the charcoal basket from the PBC today to contain the charcoal better. Also using lump for the first time ever today, wish me luck.

BritishRacingGreen
Feb 16, 2010

This new smoker is surprising me left and right. It maintains temperatures so well that I don’t even know if it’s worth modding. I made some ribs yesterday which were phenomenal, and a few chicken quarters today which was the best chicken I’ve ever smoked. That’s saying something coming from someone who started on a PBC, which is knows as a chicken smoking machine.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Tossing some ribs on the PBC for the first smoke of spring.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
pellet grill is goddamn pro.

question about smoking on it: the "high smoke" setting puts off a LOT of smoke - way more than i've ever used. should I dial back use of "high smoke" to avoid oversmoking? if so, how long should I keep it on for a pork butt or ribs?

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
it seems to me that you could also just wrap them if they start looking too dark.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Just used my Redhead bullet smoker for the first time since NYE. It went a lot smoother this time, had coals last for about four and a half hours using a donut shape (was trying that snake method, but I messed up when I dumped my coals). I think I could go longer if I dumped my coals right.

Finishing my butt in the oven now due to a sudden downpour that, well, soaked my new bag of charcoal. 225 through the night, then I'll let it rest until lunch tomorrow.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Anyone have any experience with the Weber MasterTouch series? Friend of mine is looking for my expertise since I smoked a ton for him on a regular ol' stock Weber several years back, but I have never bought one myself, I inherited both models I had.
So I can't speak to the value for money aspect of these things, outside of the fact that the same drat model is almost twice as expensive in Germany.

Guy doesn't want to go full-smoker, but would like to have the options to smoke stuff like I did.

All I can say for Weber is that I'm assuming the fuckers still last a lifetime, and are excellent quality, but almost more quality than you really need. And for 349 Euros (the US model is 219 DOLLARS), I feel like I should either recommend him something bigger at better value-for-money, or simply something cheaper.
I almost fee

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/charcoal-grills/master-touch-series/pimid_107.html

That's the model, and this is what the German deal comes with:

Hood, non-stock grate (I think?), cook book, and a pack of charcoals.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have that particular webber. I'm not a huge fan of the bottom vents/ash cleaning but I can set and forget for 2-3 hr smokes. Good for chicken or smoke > oven or SV; I couldn't imagine doing anything like a brisket in it. The grate doesn't really need to be upgraded which is where many cheaper grills really slack off. The middle part that detaches for their various grill attachment things is nice to use on a chimney as a reverse broiler.

It's a good grill, not sure if there's a german equiv.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'm going to be packing house and cleaning this weekend so I want to do a pork tenderloin in the smoker, low and slow. Any tips, recommendations, or things I should be aware of?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

10 Beers posted:

I'm going to be packing house and cleaning this weekend so I want to do a pork tenderloin in the smoker, low and slow. Any tips, recommendations, or things I should be aware of?

It's best to tie up the narrow end to try and get a uniform cylinder shape and can cook pretty quick (for smoking meat), so I'd start checking it after an hour and half to not go over 145. Sear it in a cast iron pan after for a nicer looking crust.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Weber MasterTouch series? Friend of mine is looking for my expertise since I smoked a ton for him on a regular ol' stock Weber several years back, but I have never bought one myself, I inherited both models I had.
So I can't speak to the value for money aspect of these things, outside of the fact that the same drat model is almost twice as expensive in Germany.

Goddamn that's pricey, but still worth it. The MasterTouch is just a Premium 22.5" kettle with all the add-ons. You can't go wrong with one of these. Tell him to go for it, it's probably the best do-everything cooker on the market.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I have that particular webber. I'm not a huge fan of the bottom vents/ash cleaning but I can set and forget for 2-3 hr smokes. Good for chicken or smoke > oven or SV; I couldn't imagine doing anything like a brisket in it. The grate doesn't really need to be upgraded which is where many cheaper grills really slack off. The middle part that detaches for their various grill attachment things is nice to use on a chimney as a reverse broiler.

I have done many 12+ hour cooks in my Weber kettles, the snake method of laying the charcoal works wonders.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

I have done many 12+ hour cooks in my Weber kettles, the snake method of laying the charcoal works wonders.
let me peak your seasoning! When I do pizzas I burn it off and find it more trouble than it's worth.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It's a good grill, not sure if there's a german equiv.

Since I’ve been looking at Weber’s for the last while, I’ve found that most long smokes are done with the slow and sear unit (expensive) or by replicating it with fire bricks and a water pan. It seems like a common solution to your brisket concerns.

I’ll give a trip report once I’m set up.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
The slow and sear is expensive, but I've gotten so much use out of it. Any type of replication turns the standard Weber into a solid smoker, IMO, it is a great method to produce some super tasty results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
So I've always heard that ribeye isn't really suited for slow smoking, but what happens if I got a 3-4 bone roast and just cooked it like a brisket? Will it get tough and dry? Always been a little curious.