Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is the new death faction meant to be pirates? Or am I reading some dumb rumours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

JBP posted:

Is the new death faction meant to be pirates? Or am I reading some dumb rumours?

New death faction could be anything from the return of the tomb kings to pirates to nighthaunts getting their own book. All we have to go on is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upNYiJks28I

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

New death faction could be anything from the return of the tomb kings to pirates to nighthaunts getting their own book. All we have to go on is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upNYiJks28I

It it is going to be TKs, they're doing a drat fine job of hiding that fact. Looks like a new Black Coach and some Nighthaunt stuff, along with the old terrain kits.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

berzerkmonkey posted:

It it is going to be TKs, they're doing a drat fine job of hiding that fact. Looks like a new Black Coach and some Nighthaunt stuff, along with the old terrain kits.

It was mostly just a hyperbolic example meant to illustrate that we know basically nothing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JBP posted:

I really, really like deep sea themed poo poo. GW basically found the button that makes JBP buy a fantasy miniature.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love the models and am thinking I'll pick the army up. I've been looking up sea krait coloration to paint up allied melusai. There's some snark in my rundown but it all feels like it 'fits' well the lore they've been establishing lately. Especially the part about Nagash raging for weeks when he found out about the Deepkin because they were stealing his souls.

Them being a bunch of jerks will work well for modeling the inhabitants of Pod 6.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

I'm extremely excited for the Phishaelves.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Why'd they give the flying sharks the Inceptor flight stands? A straight one would be way better.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I know the feel, they just did those thicker straight ones for the Custodes Jetbikes and they're great, after sticking together so many Inceptors with the dumb bendy stands I wish they'd just stop.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm looking forward to see what kind of movement shenanigans they get, their magic let's them treat open air like water as the justification for why they have sea creatures running around the battleground. The shipwreck scenery pieces are their version of sylvaneth wyldwoods.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
anyone got a line on a 100x150mm square base for my cute lil terrorgeist?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh, they're warcraft Nagas.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Xarbala posted:

My naga

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Xarbala posted:

If they actually looked like Warcraft Nagas I'd be way more interested in them.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Nowhere near enough tentacles and sea monsters

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Gay Horney posted:

Nowhere near enough tentacles and sea monsters

Tru

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fish Elves preview.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/04/08/who-are-the-idoneth-deepkin/

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

That round three ability is broken as gently caress.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TKIY posted:

:eyepop:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It's certainly a cool and characterful ability for them. I think a lot of counterplay is going to have to be focused around catching them in melee early before they get to High Tide, which I can see Destruction armies or anyone who gets lucky on Infiltrate/Deep Strike stuff doing. Armies that sit in a corner and try and have the foe come to them (like my Stormcast lol) are gonna eat hot poo poo if they don't have anything to do that.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

TKIY posted:

Depends. If it's always on round 3 and there's no way to alter the timing of it then it's just going to be something you have to factor in when playing/fighting Idoneth: Find a way to nueter their close combat by/on turn 3.

If they can pull shenanigans to take it multiple times in a battle or make it come up early/late at their convenience then, yeah, that could cause problems but we'll have to see what they have.

Were it not for the fact I play Flesheaters, I'd be more concerned about their anti-ranged rule. They basically can't be focus fired. Man Flesh Eater Courts would kill for a power like that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Grand Alliance bit is pretty dumb. They constantly attack the other forces of order, but they don't like Chaos! This means they aren't destruction because

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

The Grand Alliance bit is pretty dumb. They constantly attack the other forces of order, but they don't like Chaos! This means they aren't destruction because

Well they also don't like them. I feel the Grand Alliance thing ether needs to go away or a new one needs to be added. The Daughters of Khaine also attack their supposed allies and don't really fit in Order.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well they also don't like them. I feel the Grand Alliance thing ether needs to go away or a new one needs to be added. The Daughters of Khaine also attack their supposed allies and don't really fit in Order.

I mean the destruction factions don't like each other anyways so that fits. I feel like they just shoved 'em in there because they're elves.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

S.J. posted:

I mean the destruction factions don't like each other anyways so that fits. I feel like they just shoved 'em in there because they're elves.

Yeah, for some reason Destruction has to be just orcs, goblins and ogres but Order is perfectly fine being a grab bag of basically everyone including people who routinely attack everyone else indiscriminately.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Ah yes the Grand Alliances of Chaos, Death, Destruction and Miscellaneous

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Who cares

S.J.
May 19, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

Ah yes the Grand Alliances of Chaos, Death, Destruction and Miscellaneous

The great bastion city against chaos, the city of Misc

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah, for some reason Destruction has to be just orcs, goblins and ogres but Order is perfectly fine being a grab bag of basically everyone including people who routinely attack everyone else indiscriminately.

It would have made sense if they just said destruction souls taste like poo poo but the heartless sea monsters are happy to use them as fodder and sometimes get tricked in turn by their "allies". Basically just Orks and Eldar, except the Eldar here are essentially evil as well.

Would have been a nice addition to destruction. Just let them be sea reavers that everyone is terrified of and have them help out against chaos in the same way any evil outfit does when the chips are down.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm just increasingly worried that this game will go the same way as 40k where GW keeps releasing poo poo for the Imperium nonstop with occasional big Chaos releases to break up the monotony. Two Order releases in a row that have gossamer thin reasons why they are even in the alliance is a step in a very bad direction.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm just increasingly worried that this game will go the same way as 40k where GW keeps releasing poo poo for the Imperium nonstop with occasional big Chaos releases to break up the monotony. Two Order releases in a row that have gossamer thin reasons why they are even in the alliance is a step in a very bad direction.

I haven't even played this game because I was holding off on a faction. I like sea aeaealveis and I'll go with them. Does the grand alliance stuff matter much? I guess you use them as allies, but aren't the benefits of running nothing but one faction much greater than mixing them up?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

JBP posted:

I haven't even played this game because I was holding off on a faction. I like sea aeaealveis and I'll go with them. Does the grand alliance stuff matter much? I guess you use them as allies, but aren't the benefits of running nothing but one faction much greater than mixing them up?

Generic order lists are pretty loving good actually. Same can't be said for the other alliances. Well, except death, but their whole loving Alliance is in one faction anyways.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Big part of why generic Order lists are good is because they have a ton of options.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

S.J. posted:

Generic order lists are pretty loving good actually. Same can't be said for the other alliances. Well, except death, but their whole loving Alliance is in one faction anyways.

Yeah, Order's the only Alliance you'd ever really want to run a soup list as just the basic Grand Alliance with no extras, just because they have so many different options to pick from. Death is currently a special case because they have special factions that are basically alternate Grand Alliance bonuses.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Murder Elfs and Water Elfs really have no place in order given their descriptions, Destruction would be more appropriate, or possibly a fifth 'nonaligned' faction. Possibly with some special rules allowing them to ally with Order in a limited capacity with certain other subfactions like Dark Elves.

Destruction really needs some love, the only new things they've had are the Orruks and the Fungi Shaman. Death is at least getting some stuff in Portents but so far every 'new' subfaction has been in Order who are basically the Imperium of AOS.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Having all your elite boys being essentially immune to shooting while there's a model in front of them is making me pretty worried as an overlords player.

The models and lore are Extremely My poo poo though, might pick up a scribe + octopus friend to paint for fun

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Don't forget how Destruction grand alliance lists used to be really good too, then they absolutely broke the back of their alliance trait and now it's so terrible it's really easy to forget to use it at all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What else could they add to destruction since it's literally just orcs right now? I'd be down for human pirates, slavers or reavers in that mix but they added elves from the hell of drowning to order so idk.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

If they weren't already tied up with Chaos I'd say Skaven or Beastmen would be a good fit for Destruction.

Possibly they could add some sort of Barbarian faction that isn't tied up with Chaos too (like how old Norsca used to be a separate army from Chaos Marauders).

They could add something really out there along the lines of the Enslavers from 40k, e.g. a bunch of magical floating brain things that mind control a bunch of monsters and use them to try and destroy the world.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JBP posted:

What else could they add to destruction since it's literally just orcs right now? I'd be down for human pirates, slavers or reavers in that mix but they added elves from the hell of drowning to order so idk.

GW has a rather basic approach to determining alighntment. Do they like cities? Do they Chaos? Are they undead? If no to all of these, then Destruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JBP posted:

I would really love to see a human faction of regular guys for each Alliance. Expand Free Guild, create human barbarians (diggaz style?) For destruction, Sylvania style peasant troops for death, ECT...

• Locked thread