Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

I, Butthole posted:

However, the Coalition has managed to narrow the margin by a point to trail Labor 48/52 on two party preferred basis after voters cast their minds back to Labor's poor economic management and the uncertainty of the Rudd/Gillard regime

Yeah I'm sure that leadership uncertainty is really turning people away from Labor right now.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Mad Katter posted:

Yeah I'm sure that leadership uncertainty is really turning people away from Labor right now.

A value that's within the margin of error of the last 20 poll numbers sure is a strong showing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pinball Jizzard posted:

Am I the only person still waiting on a picture of the “name and shame” board? I really want to liken this to previous experience of unions “having evidence” of something but never being able to substantiate.

I won’t though until we’ve confirmed there is no picture of the board.

:same:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Liberals keep on half arsing the NBN, coming up with "fibre to the curb".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-08/nbn-launches-fibre-to-the-curb-technology/9631262?WT.ac=statenews_vic

loving hacks just put it straight to the home. Bonus lols that existing NBN customers can't get this service.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

if you want a picture of a name and shame board just screenshot this thread ho ho ho

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Fibre to the "halfway down your driveway" will be the next step.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Goal Lip Poll I

New Leader - Pantsu Forall

Fibre to the credit card.

Gun Control Out of Control

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-09/gun-thefts-in-australia-double-in-a-decade/9631484

"responsible" gun owners

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-09/good-samaritan-assaulted-by-man-he-tried-to-rescue-from-water/9632582?WT.ac=statenews_nsw

quote:

While the incident unfolded, a man in a nearby unit block on Wulumay Close in Rozelle was holding a rifle at the PolAir helicopter.

However, it is believed the 47-year-old was actually using the rifle's telescope to get a better look at what was happening on the harbour.

He has now been charged with not keeping the firearm safe, not keeping ammunition stored in a locked container, unauthorised use and handling a firearm under the influence of alcohol.

He was granted conditional bail.

And he would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky silencer laws!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

You Am I posted:

Liberals keep on half arsing the NBN, coming up with "fibre to the curb".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-08/nbn-launches-fibre-to-the-curb-technology/9631262?WT.ac=statenews_vic

loving hacks just put it straight to the home. Bonus lols that existing NBN customers can't get this service.

FTTC is a pretty huge leap forward from FTTN though. It actually has an upgrade path to gigabit, once they switch the last run from VDSL to g.fast, and it's a lot cheaper to then upgrade to fibre to the home if you need it. At present, it'll cost you upwards of $16k to go from FFTN to FTTH. FTTC to FTTH should be about 1/8th the cost.

Why not do that to begin with, you say? NBN co claim that 20% of the expense of the fibre rollout related to the lead-in - AKA replacing the length of copper UTP cabling from the PIT out the front of your house to the wall socket. That's pretty significant for what amounts to maybe 1% of the total cable run from the POI to you. They need access to your home, which means appointments, and delays from both sides. Add in that they have to install a fibre box in the garage and to really take advantage of it you need to install a comms rack and cable runs etc, it's a pretty significant increase in effort from just dropping an IP67 rated case with a mini VDSL/GFAST box inside the PIT, which is powered down the phone line by the end user equipment. Now that's irrelevant for new builds and developments - they should be full fibre from day one, and the fact that the liberals immediately wiped out the regulation making sure this happened days after taking office is a loving travesty.

Really, though, the max connection speed of individual installations has become less of an issue, with most people opting for 50 or 25mbit connections anyway - the real problem is with the network architecture, thanks to the ACCC being allowed to get involved, which has blown out the cost of operating the thing under the auspices of "making it more competitive". For clarity - the NBNCo network ends at the Point of Interconnect. The POI is where the Retail Service Provider (RSP) takes over. Thanks to the ACCC, instead of having 1 or maybe 2 POIs per state, there are 122 in total. The idea was to make the cost of entry cheaper, by allowing a smaller ISP to roll out area by area - and yes it did achieve this, so in terms of getting more players into the market, it did what it was intended to do.

Insisting on 122 POIs also forces every national RSP to purchase and manage bandwidth (CVC) for each individual POI, instead of on a state by state basis, which is a major cause of congestion issues, due to many RSPs (such as iinet/TPG) either not giving a gently caress about congestion issues, or cheaping out and giving everyone unlimited connections but providing about 1/2 the bandwidth needed during peak times.

The other major issue is that the coalition have taken the whole "NBN must pay for itself by 202x" to the extreme, so the cost of CVC is unrealistically high. Most experts agree that the NBN should be subject to an asset write-off and the service be provided at cost.

These two issues together combine to mean that even where 250Mbit connections are available (on FTTH), nobody can justify paying for them, or literally can't get data moving at that speed due to congestion. Even 100/40 costs you 100/month at best, and only a handful of RSPs can get you there when you need it. So yeah, the endpoint technology is less of an issue right now than fixing the infrastructure, which means when Labor do finally scrape in a win, they'll need to do yet another major review and remediation exercise, which is going to take more time and more money and much like with the FWC, they can't really blame the Liberals for the decision making because they let it happen in the first place.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Don Dongington posted:

FTTC is a pretty huge leap forward from FTTN though. It actually has an upgrade path to gigabit, once they switch the last run from VDSL to g.fast, and it's a lot cheaper to then upgrade to fibre to the home if you need it. At present, it'll cost you upwards of $16k to go from FFTN to FTTH. FTTC to FTTH should be about 1/8th the cost.

Thanks so much for the effort post.

Usually I start trying to learn about NBN and fall asleep by the time RSPs/CVCs are mentioned, but this was super helpful and clear.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Massive rorts by cousin of ministers wife in minister's portfolio.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/09/one-of-queenslands-largest-irrigators-expected-to-be-charged-with

It's long and daming. :rimshot:

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Tony Abbott posted:

I guess one of the differences between me and some of my colleagues is that if I've got something to say, I don't ring up a journalist and whisper poison into their ears. I say it upfront, openly, and I put my name to it, and I think that is something that we need to see more of in our politics.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

For those wondering what hitting the 30 Newspolls mark means for KRudds leadership ambitions:

https://twitter.com/MrKRudd/status/983120484605849601

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Krudd still salty. Definitely a good look and something that not at all justifies the decision to roll you.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Somewhere there is a universe with High Overseer Rudd executing the Miners one by one with his Presidential Revolver.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

hooman posted:

Krudd still salty. Definitely a good look and something that not at all justifies the decision to roll you.

Gentlemanly of him to interrupt his concession speech to comment on this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'd be salty as well if my party rolled me because of incorrectly installed insulation.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

yeah but you get salty if anyone criticises labour at all

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

no i dont

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

like do i get salty at myself, no i dont

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I'd be salty as well if my party rolled me because of incorrectly installed insulation.

Rolling Rudd was the death of the last vestige of Labor being even slightly left, rather than filthy vote chasing centrists. I'm not saying I agree with the decision, I'm just saying him being unable to let it go so many years later doesn't reflect well on him.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

Rolling Rudd was the death of the last vestige of Labor being even slightly left, rather than filthy vote chasing centrists. I'm not saying I agree with the decision, I'm just saying him being unable to let it go so many years later doesn't reflect well on him.

It's better than going on Kyle and Jackie O doing your best political Steve-O impression like Sam though.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
rudd wasn't even a leftist

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
List of filthy centrist policies: tripling of the tax free threshold, NDIS, broadening of medicare, toppling of one of Telstra'a near monopolies with the NBN, carbon tax, mining tax, means testing the private health insurance rebate, a federal ICAC, removing capital gains benefits, focusing on renewable energy, etc etc for infinity.

Unless you're saying having some hard right wing policies makes a party centrist, at which point, lol for thinking Labor hasn't been like that forever.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Don Dongington posted:

Why not do that to begin with, you say? NBN co claim that 20% of the expense of the fibre rollout related to the lead-in - AKA replacing the length of copper UTP cabling from the PIT out the front of your house to the wall socket. That's pretty significant for what amounts to maybe 1% of the total cable run from the POI to you. They need access to your home, which means appointments, and delays from both sides. Add in that they have to install a fibre box in the garage and to really take advantage of it you need to install a comms rack and cable runs etc, it's a pretty significant increase in effort from just dropping an IP67 rated case with a mini VDSL/GFAST box inside the PIT, which is powered down the phone line by the end user equipment. Now that's irrelevant for new builds and developments - they should be full fibre from day one, and the fact that the liberals immediately wiped out the regulation making sure this happened days after taking office is a loving travesty.

Really, though, the max connection speed of individual installations has become less of an issue, with most people opting for 50 or 25mbit connections anyway - the real problem is with the network architecture, thanks to the ACCC being allowed to get involved, which has blown out the cost of operating the thing under the auspices of "making it more competitive". For clarity - the NBNCo network ends at the Point of Interconnect. The POI is where the Retail Service Provider (RSP) takes over. Thanks to the ACCC, instead of having 1 or maybe 2 POIs per state, there are 122 in total. The idea was to make the cost of entry cheaper, by allowing a smaller ISP to roll out area by area - and yes it did achieve this, so in terms of getting more players into the market, it did what it was intended to do.

Insisting on 122 POIs also forces every national RSP to purchase and manage bandwidth (CVC) for each individual POI, instead of on a state by state basis, which is a major cause of congestion issues, due to many RSPs (such as iinet/TPG) either not giving a gently caress about congestion issues, or cheaping out and giving everyone unlimited connections but providing about 1/2 the bandwidth needed during peak times.

The other major issue is that the coalition have taken the whole "NBN must pay for itself by 202x" to the extreme, so the cost of CVC is unrealistically high. Most experts agree that the NBN should be subject to an asset write-off and the service be provided at cost.

These two issues together combine to mean that even where 250Mbit connections are available (on FTTH), nobody can justify paying for them, or literally can't get data moving at that speed due to congestion. Even 100/40 costs you 100/month at best, and only a handful of RSPs can get you there when you need it. So yeah, the endpoint technology is less of an issue right now than fixing the infrastructure, which means when Labor do finally scrape in a win, they'll need to do yet another major review and remediation exercise, which is going to take more time and more money and much like with the FWC, they can't really blame the Liberals for the decision making because they let it happen in the first place.

Fun fact: some fibre installs were as little as 1500, but the government refused to accept an invoice for anything less than 4.5k otherwise the whole "FTTN cheapah" was undermined.

Visionstream made a fuckton.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gentleman Baller posted:

List of filthy centrist policies: tripling of the tax free threshold, NDIS, broadening of medicare, toppling of one of Telstra'a near monopolies with the NBN, carbon tax, mining tax, means testing the private health insurance rebate, a federal ICAC, removing capital gains benefits, focusing on renewable energy, etc etc for infinity.

Unless you're saying having some hard right wing policies makes a party centrist, at which point, lol for thinking Labor hasn't been like that forever.

Don't confuse unfucking the economy for actually being progressive. How about cutting support for single mothers, bashing the poors, refugee policy, blocking gay marriage? Also Rudd got rolled specifically because of the mining tax which was discarded by Gillard et al. Labor is very centrist, leaning socially slightly left and economically slightly right. Being more left than the LNP isn't the same is being actually left.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
JBP is a salt mephit irl

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Gentleman Baller posted:

List of filthy centrist policies: tripling of the tax free threshold, NDIS, broadening of medicare, toppling of one of Telstra'a near monopolies with the NBN, carbon tax, mining tax, means testing the private health insurance rebate, a federal ICAC, removing capital gains benefits, focusing on renewable energy

* Long overdue and severely short of assisting people in poverty
* Provides a managed market instead of universal assistance to the disabled, relied on states to fund
* Refused to provide dental as part of Medicare
* NBN is now its own monopoly
* Incredibly bad planning and messaging
* Incredibly bad planning and messaging
* Literally centrism
* Not implemented
* Not implemented
* Citation needed

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoldStandardConure posted:

JBP is a salt mephit irl

100% checks out

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Wow look how left we are, just gonna come over here and chuck in a bunch of means testing to gently caress people over, lets integrate centrelink into the DHS while cutting funding and staffing levels, buhhhhhhhhhh

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
My year 12 politics textbook from the late 90's explicitly called out Labor as centrist and LNP as right, and contrasted that to the 70's positions for how the ideologies and movements have drifted over time. Discussion of Hawke/Keating and the changes in labor policy from full employment to availability of labor in policy settings.

I'm not making GBS threads on Labor, I'll take centrist Labor over LNP any loving day of the week, twice on weekends and 4 times more on days ending with a y. I was very excited in 2007 for Kevin Rudd because it was a movement back towards the left but his inability to manage his colleagues and biting off more than he could chew against the mining lobby lead to some very disappointing circumstances following the Howard years, to the point where they took someone who would have been a permanent Labor lifer and broke me off the drat party.

I'll come straight back to Labor if their policy base is better than the Greens is, I'll vote for them if they prosecute a more compelling or better case. Every time I vote for the Greens I always preference Labor because while they might not be perfect (same as the Greens in that regard) they decently represent what I think is the best way forward for all Australians, but I'm never going to believe they're left with their current policy base and if you think so, you've been overton windowed to death by our lovely media.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 9, 2018

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Or you're a true believer

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

MiniSune posted:

Fun fact: some fibre installs were as little as 1500, but the government refused to accept an invoice for anything less than 4.5k otherwise the whole "FTTN cheapah" was undermined.

Visionstream made a fuckton.

source please

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I wouldn't be so sure about the Kevin Rudd inability narrative. It is very convenient that all everyone talks about is his 'micromanaging' and not the carbon tax.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-09/malcolm-turnbull-says-he-regrets-newspoll-comment-tony-abbott/9633414

quote:

On the day Malcolm Turnbull hit the benchmark of 30 consecutive Newspoll losses, he has admitted regret over using the figure when rolling Tony Abbott from the nation's top job.

"I regret making those remarks at the time, making remarks about 30 Newspolls at the time," he said today.
"But what I promised to do was to provide economic leadership and traditional cabinet government, and I've done both."

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

I'm not making GBS threads on Labor, I'll take centrist Labor over LNP any loving day of the week, twice on weekends and 4 times more on days ending with a y. I was very excited in 2007 for Kevin Rudd because it was a movement back towards the left but his inability to manage his colleagues and biting off more than he could chew against the mining lobby lead to some very disappointing circumstances following the Howard years, to the point where they took someone who would have been a permanent Labor lifer and broke me off the drat party.

For me it was partly this, and party the horrific performance of the Gallop/Carpenter state governments, and their insistence on turning WA into an absolute nanny state. Lockouts, pathetic/prohibitionist liquor licensing, NIMBY bullshit everywhere. I'm not saying Barnett was any better (but hey he fixed the liquor licensing debacle with the small bars licence), but I expected a lot more from them.

McGowan still hasn't impressed me that much beyond canning Roe 8 tbh.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So is Turnbull getting turfed or nah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

gucci bane posted:

I wouldn't be so sure about the Kevin Rudd inability narrative. It is very convenient that all everyone talks about is his 'micromanaging' and not the carbon tax.

it’s pretty well established that rudd was not a fun man to work for/with

• Locked thread