Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So Cluster Truck is a game with two issues. The first is your score is used to buy upgrades with, but one of the single largest pile of score is beating a level flawlessly the first time which is a bit rude when many levels delight in throwing obstacles at you you cant see very much ahead of time.

The second is just baffling. Its a highspeed, momentum based platformer with variable physics induced placement of its evermoving and crashing platforms so of course a game where no run of a level is ever identical and requires precision aerial adjustments its in first person. Pleae, developers, if youre going to do first person platforming for the love of god either make it so that playes use their face to aim where there landing or add some other QOL feature like a picture in picture of whats under my feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Can I invade this upcoming best/worst DS argument and kill it before it really gets going?

I don't like the mapping mechanics in Hollow Knight. I'm glad there actually is a map (fuckin' Owl Boy), but it's like they really wanted to make mapping as annoying as possible. First you need to find the mapper dude to buy the area's map (if you went far enough mapless you can go to the map shop up top and buy the area's map I think?), then you need to buy a trinket from the shop up top to see where on the map you are and another to be able to map rooms the mapper missed yourself. You also need to buy multiple pins so the map'll show you points of interest like NPCs and various other stuff.

Rooms the mapper missed aren't filled in by you in real time, instead you need to go sit on a bench to fill in the rooms you've visited since your last sit. And if that wasn't enough? You can't map rooms in an area yourself without first buying that area's incomplete map from the mapper (or the shop?).

Why make it so annoying?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I don't like the mapping mechanics in Hollow Knight.

No one does :(

It's a very distinct minus in such a great game, I honestly wonder what was going through the devs heads when they thought of that.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Samuringa posted:

It's a very distinct minus in such a great game, I honestly wonder what was going through the devs heads when they thought of that.

There was one area where I could hear the map guy a screen or two away but I couldn't for the life of my figure out how to get to him. Not having a map didn't help.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ilmucche posted:

There was one area where I could hear the map guy a screen or two away but I couldn't for the life of my figure out how to get to him. Not having a map didn't help.

It's really a weird choice because there are a few areas where the map guy is either like, out of the and easily missed - or you're immediately given like a split in the path and both ways go to entirely different locations, but he's on one specific path so have fun exploring the other side without a map if you go there first. Also it costs badge points to wear the thing that lets you see icons on the map.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Samuringa posted:

I liked it. I felt like making the mapping difficult really helped immerse me in the feel of uncovering a giant forgotten kingdom, as opposed to just clearing out videogame levels like I do in every other 'troidemup. I can definitely understand not liking it, though.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Yeah, I liked it too (except for the part where you have to equip a charm to see your position on the map). It was, in general, a game that was fun to get lost in, and that feeling would've been diminished if you had a perfectly-updating automap that showed you exactly where you are, where you'd come from, and where you had left to go at all times.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The EE version of Baldur's Gate has added steam achievements, which includes the interquel that was released 15 years after the series finished. Ha ha I'm not touching that. I'm all for QoL updates and making old-games run properly on modern hardware, but I stay from new content not made from the original devs made in the original era's state of mind. Similarly the DS version of Chrono Trigger is the definitive experience if you straight-up avoid the bonus content which only serves to dilute the experience.

I hate the enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate and BG2 for this. I mean we're all happy to be able to play the drat thing on a modern PC with QOL improvements you can now play those games on a tablet.

But boy is it hosed up. Backstory for those not familiar: Baldur's Gate and it's sequel was kinda revolutionary because it basically did the thing everyone wanted computer RPGs to be like. It did age but mostly because of the D&D ruleset it was using rather than the actual game. It's what Diablo was for ARPGs. Baldur's Gate is like a milestone.

Enter Beamdog - they added a bunch of side quests and NPCs (paid dlc each one because gently caress) which stand out next to the original writing like a sore thumb. Without going into detail it immediately jumps out because your character responses read like an average internet chucklefuck or a robot, and the content itself is super loud and out of place.

But they didn't stop there, they decided the short timeframe between BG1 and 2 needs a story. It's a lovely story about the time nothing important happened between bg1 and 2. The story involves big loving crowds cheering on you and grand politics that have zero bearing on anything in the original games. In short, even if you like their writing, it's a square peg jammed in a round hole.

Here comes the important part tho. I play BG1 and 2 with a friend of mine every two years or so and ever since the EE thing came out we were unable to finish it. It started with a genie you meet in the introductory dungeon in BG2. A sidequest character, his dialogue box opening plays a sound clip of a deep male voice going "Hu hu ha ha ha". This genie first appeared outside his area, but in the dungeon, so we didn't think twice about it. But then he started appearing in the game's main city hub at random places every time there's a loading screen, but at random. And every time he spawns, he locks your character into a dialogue as if you were meeting him for the first time. And he stays put wherever you are. So I have a multiplayer save game where the city of Athkatla is populated by these genie clones each imploring you to give them their genie lamp back. They blocked off the north exit of the temple district with 6 genies and we can't exit the graveyard district at all due to this. Each time they play the "Hu hu ha ha ha" sound bite and one of your dialogue options is "You must be the proverbial genie from the lamp."

That's last year. We can't run the multiplayer at all now the game'll lock up, and I've found no solutions because everyone plays it in singleplayer. So I've opened a steam thread and the devs straight up told me it's working on their side, but if I want this fixed I gotta register on the Beamdog forums to report this as a bug. As a token of good will the offered me to delete all the extra genies from my save game after I register on their forums and attach the save file.

I'm not kidding

EDIT: Pre-6 genie situation

EDIT2: This is version 2 of their remaster.

Vic has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Apr 8, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lmao what the gently caress

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
God those sprite outlines look terrible

Also I wish there was a menu option to toggle off the extra content in the Enhanced Editions, it stands out like a sore thumb as you say. At least on the iPad version you can just not buy the extra content, but then the iPad version is fiddly as hell to the extent I just transferred my save over to PC and carried on there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The hubris of adding on a bunch of poo poo no one asked for to what is widely regarded as one of the best RPGs ever made is mind boggling.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The hubris of adding on a bunch of poo poo no one asked for to what is widely regarded as one of the best RPGs ever made is mind boggling.

Isn't that basically what modders do? They make "rebalance" mods that tweak a game to how they feel it should be because they clearly have the best idea of balance.

It's just these guys got paid for it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Isn't that basically what modders do? They make "rebalance" mods that tweak a game to how they feel it should be because they clearly have the best idea of balance.

Excuse me but I think everyone will agree that an RPG isn't challenging if you have more than a 10% hit rate on the tutorial target dummy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

There’s a pretty big gulf between making a mod that rebalances stuff, and adding a bunch of new characters and quests that clash with the original game, though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've only just gotten around to playing Civilization VI (I've been kind of burned by Beyond Earth, so I waited a while for this one to develop post-release), and the Agenda system is a bit annoying. In principle, it's a fine idea: All AI-leaders have two agendas, one fixed and one random, that determine how they tend to act and how they react to the player's actions. For example, Teddy Roosevelt dislikes people who start wars on his home continent, while Cyrus of Persia is very happy to spring surprise wars on people and respects players who do the same.

The issue I have so far is that some of these agendas are overly specific or inflexible to the point where you can't really actively do much about them. Last game I started next to Alexander of Macedon, whose Agenda is that he likes people who often go to war (against people other than himself) and dislikes those that avoid war. I'm not even thirty turns into the game when he already starts giving me poo poo for not having gone to war yet. Motherfucker, go to war with what arym? And against whom? I've only just established a second city, much less anything resembling an army and you're the only other faction I've met up until this point! :argh:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Perestroika posted:

I've only just gotten around to playing Civilization VI (I've been kind of burned by Beyond Earth, so I waited a while for this one to develop post-release), and the Agenda system is a bit annoying. In principle, it's a fine idea: All AI-leaders have two agendas, one fixed and one random, that determine how they tend to act and how they react to the player's actions. For example, Teddy Roosevelt dislikes people who start wars on his home continent, while Cyrus of Persia is very happy to spring surprise wars on people and respects players who do the same.

The issue I have so far is that some of these agendas are overly specific or inflexible to the point where you can't really actively do much about them. Last game I started next to Alexander of Macedon, whose Agenda is that he likes people who often go to war (against people other than himself) and dislikes those that avoid war. I'm not even thirty turns into the game when he already starts giving me poo poo for not having gone to war yet. Motherfucker, go to war with what arym? And against whom? I've only just established a second city, much less anything resembling an army and you're the only other faction I've met up until this point! :argh:

It’s Alexander. The game is letting you know you’re going to have to kill him before he gets an army and comes after you.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Alexander was such an obnoxious piece of poo poo in 5 too that he always was my first target.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If Civ Gandhi and Civ Alexander ever teamed up every player would be turbo hosed.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I also kinda liked the Hollow Knight map stuff. I've played so many metroidvanias, most of which auto-fill maps which is convenient and cool. But Hollow Knight added more tension by forcing me to pay attention and having to go back to the bench to update the map only adds to the sense of risk and adventure.

Buying pins and equipping the badges I could do without but provided that a map is designed well, having to navigate it blindly before being relieved of the duty can be extremely satisfying the first time through. Think running around Lordran without the lordvessel for the first half.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

Mods are optional.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Samuringa posted:

Mods are optional.

Enough about the forums tho

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

Mods are optional.

You could find copies of the old game and jump through hoops to make it work on modern systems or just buy the modded version. It's not a good system by any means but like any modder they have their own vision and stories to tell and you will experience it.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s a pretty big gulf between making a mod that rebalances stuff, and adding a bunch of new characters and quests that clash with the original game, though.
Plenty of those mods too.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
DMC4 might be my favorite of those games, but holy poo poo, am I terrible when playing as Dante.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

JRPG problems:

So I know that having an active battle party of 3/4 with a large potential pool of 8 different people is a thing jrpgs have done since forever, but man I can't help but feel it's a bad thing. You always end up with people who you never really use who are low level or underequipped. After playing FFXV, for all its flaws, i can't help but feel every jrpg I play should really just give you your entire party up front and let you use all of them in battle. It's just so much simpler.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Agent355 posted:

JRPG problems:

So I know that having an active battle party of 3/4 with a large potential pool of 8 different people is a thing jrpgs have done since forever, but man I can't help but feel it's a bad thing. You always end up with people who you never really use who are low level or underequipped. After playing FFXV, for all its flaws, i can't help but feel every jrpg I play should really just give you your entire party up front and let you use all of them in battle. It's just so much simpler.

Whats even better is a surprise mandatory party and next thing you know you're forced using people you haven't used who are under leveled or geared.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Agent355 posted:

JRPG problems:

I preferred FF10 and 12 giving you more than the default 3 but always letting you tag them in. Since they were always there you were free to experiment, or focus on building a concentrated team of 3 supermen.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

A more elegant solution is 4 people with customizable skill sets so you still get to experiment but don't have to dela with gearing/leveling 8 dudes. It's hardly the worst video game sin but even when I'm otherwise enjoying a game I find myself wishing I didn't have extraneous party members.

At the very least reserve people should get full exp and level at the same rate so they arent reduced to completely useless.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Agent355 posted:

JRPG problems:

That was a really big issue for me in Type: 0. Where you had a roster of 14. And only like half of them were decent, and then the other half was just horrible to play as. And only seem to be useful to sacrifice for summoning.

A small party is a really big plus for me in JRPGS with a "job" system. Like 3/5/defaults/X-2 only have 4(3) characters you need to manage equipment for - and your just swapping roles instead of characters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

I preferred FF10 and 12 giving you more than the default 3 but always letting you tag them in. Since they were always there you were free to experiment, or focus on building a concentrated team of 3 supermen.

Also everyone got EXP in FF10, so even during situations where you were forced to use other characters, it was just a matter of actually sucking it up and doing the sphere grid for wakka.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nuebot posted:

Also everyone got EXP in FF10, so even during situations where you were forced to use other characters, it was just a matter of actually sucking it up and doing the sphere grid for kimahri ronso.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
FF5 was perfect for that because you just had your 4 guys and all the jobs. So you could switch it up and you still had dudes leveled so it didn't get obnoxious.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

yeah, kimahri was the trash character with no niche. i don't know anyone who used him.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

yeah, kimahri was the trash character with no niche. i don't know anyone who used him.

He was supposed to be a blue mage but it was limited to overdrives so it was trash

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

There's always the approach of Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume where the main gimmick is that you can murder your extraneous party members to get powerups. :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tardcore posted:

He was supposed to be a blue mage but it was limited to overdrives so it was trash

He was a jack of all trades, which unfortunately loses its utility when you can switch to anyone at any time. He has some niche use for stealing stuff until Rikku joins later in the game but that's about it.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

RagnarokAngel posted:

He was a jack of all trades, which unfortunately loses its utility when you can switch to anyone at any time. He has some niche use for stealing stuff until Rikku joins later in the game but that's about it.

Hey hey, he had a very important use

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Agent355 posted:

JRPG problems:

Last Remnant had pretty nice solution for this. You can have up to 18 guys in the battle (and in the PC version all of them can be hero characters) and instead of individual units, you command squads of 1-5 people.

(You still end up with larger roster than you can use, but at least you don't care about those left over dudes).

Kennel has a new favorite as of 09:12 on Apr 9, 2018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tardcore posted:

Excuse me by Self Destruct was the best possible use of a limit break in the whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I gave Kimahri the Use and Steal abilities, as well as some Break and Buster abilities, and he became a support character for me. He still wasn't super useful later on, but I had a ton of Al Bhed potions and he built up a lot of Overdrive with the Healer mode.