Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

System Metternich posted:

A fun fact about the Karl-Marx-Hof battle: The commander who led the Austrian army's charge against the Hof, Karl Biedermann, later on fought with the Wehrmacht against the Soviet Union only to join a resistance group that passed on information about German deployments in and around Vienna and (futilely) tried to take control of the city so that they could let the Red Army take it without any further bloodshed. The man who once fought for the Austrian fascists against communists was executed by German fascists for cooperating with communists.

They should have a :xcom: but for World War 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm pretty sure it's as simple as being of german or english decent isn't as attractive for an american as irish or Italian. Both are kind of romanticised vs stable/boring (and at one point enemies of the US).

I dunno I don't think there is a big deal surrounding it.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Kaiser Wilhelm claimed go have seen this in a dream

I'm the Russian dessert

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Dreddout posted:

Kaiser Wilhelm claimed go have seen this in a dream

I'm the Russian dessert

I'm Greece, freshly annexed clay of the glorious Austrian People's Republic

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Frog Act posted:

bonus: the austrofascist dictator engelbert dollfuss was loving tiny, and people often made fun of how he looked in Liederhosen (which was hilariously popular with austrian fascists lol). He's on the left

quote:

Dollfuss stood no more than 4 feet 11 inches or 150 centimetres tall.

[...] reported a series of jokes, including how in the coffee houses of Vienna, one could order a "Dollfuss" cup of coffee instead of a "Short Black" cup of coffee.

Dollfuss' diminutive status would remain an object of satire all his life; among his nicknames were 'Millimetternich' (a portmanteau out of millimeter and Metternich),

1930s Austrians were harsh but hilarious.

Despite his "Austrofascism" tendencies Dollfuss seems to have been quite dead-set against the Anschluss. I wonder if he had survived would he have done a better job of fending the Nazis off.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Kaiser Wilhelm claimed to see a world with no German Empire? Weird

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Blut posted:

1930s Austrians were harsh but hilarious.

Despite his "Austrofascism" tendencies Dollfuss seems to have been quite dead-set against the Anschluss. I wonder if he had survived would he have done a better job of fending the Nazis off.

The guy after him was also against Anschluss, if I remember correctly.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Elyv posted:

Kaiser Wilhelm claimed to see a world with no German Empire? Weird

I think it might have been a nightmare.

I can't read German, can anyone translate?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jippa posted:

I'm pretty sure it's as simple as being of german or english decent isn't as attractive for an american as irish or Italian. Both are kind of romanticised vs stable/boring (and at one point enemies of the US).

As opposed to the Germans, never enemies of the USA lol.

No seriously my dude, there is maybe somewhere in the ballpark of 300-200 years of time between major English immigration and major Irish/Italian immigration.
People with Polish descent are also pretty gung-ho about their background as well, there's Little Poland's and the like around. You know, that sexy romantic ethnicity, the Polish.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Austrian interpretation of fascism had some slight differences to the NDSAP version

Most notably the Austrofascists heavily emphasised the role of Catholicism in Austrian history and society and saw their predominantly Protestant German cousins as being worse at being German* because of this. They were also a lot less antisemitic although there was cases of Bolshevism being seen as inherently Jewish they never had any laws specifically and explicitly targeting Jews like the Third Reich had. From what I've read their antisemitism also seems to have been more in line with the older religious/cultural antisemitism rather than the modern racial-science view the Nazis held.

It's a bit like if South-Korea was also Communist but were Shachtmanites who were deeply against Juche.

*In the wider cultural and linguistic sense of Germans rather than refering to the fairly recent nation-state.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

then I guess that 25 million decrease in english-americans over a couple of decades really was a genocide :stare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cool new Metroid game posted:

then I guess that 25 million decrease in english-americans over a couple of decades really was a genocide :stare:

More like an ethnic cleansing.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Grape posted:

As opposed to the Germans, never enemies of the USA lol.

No seriously my dude, there is maybe somewhere in the ballpark of 300-200 years of time between major English immigration and major Irish/Italian immigration.
People with Polish descent are also pretty gung-ho about their background as well, there's Little Poland's and the like around. You know, that sexy romantic ethnicity, the Polish.

Do you think the timeframe difference you point out might contribute to english/german being "stable/boring"? Also he was pretty loving obviously referring to the english and germans as being the enemies, my dude

feller fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 9, 2018

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Dreddout posted:

Yes, it says that it's taken from an English weekly magazine called "Truth" (hence why the title was in English).
The plot is that the Kaiser is placed under hypnosis and reveals a future where all European monarchies have been overthrown:
https://schauungen.de/Sonstiges/TheKaisersDream/ProphetischeLandkarte.pdf

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Senor Dog posted:

Do you think the timeframe difference you point out might contribute to english/german being "stable/boring"?

No, I think it contributes to there actually being very little old worldness left over all things considered.
I'm 4th gen Italian/Irish, and just by comparison to how my dad grew up I have precious little cultural connection to those things. Any more generations out and it will be nothing much more than a last name (and even that will easily wash away).
Now apply that to things that are like say.... 14th generation...

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Dreddout posted:

There's nothing on there, but just looking at the Franco-German border at the Rhine it has to a nightmare.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I posted this in the Weed Thread since it's very significant to that issue. For anyone not from the US, a "ballot initiative" is where you can put a proposed law up for popular vote, generally by just getting enough state residents to sign a petition. Only some states allow it, but given that 8 out of 9 states that have legalized weed have done so through ballot initiative (Vermont did it through their legislature), there's a really high correlation between initiative states and weed states.

This is further significant looking at 2020, because the initiative states are the ones that might drive voter turnout. Some of these matter less than others (Idaho doesn't even have medical weed, so good luck with anything anytime soon), but Michigan is probably voting on legal weed in November, and Oklahoma is voting on medical weed in June.

Looking at the map it's really clear why Massachusetts and Maine were the first states on the East Coast to legalize. There's already interesting talk that Rhode Island and Connecticut might be pretty much forced to legalize weed, given that for most of their residents it's 30 minutes or less to just drive across the border and buy some, so they'll already be getting almost the max of whatever theoretical harms of cannabis, with zero of the financial benefits, unless they hop pretty quick and start legalizing through their legislature.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Viktor Orban‘s Fidesz just won the general election in Hungary with about 50% of the votes, which means that in Hungary‘s hosed up parliamentary system they’ll get about 2/3rds of all seats in parliament and will be able to change the constitution whenever they want. They’re not alone in this though, voting shares in France, Italy and the U.K. also translate only badly into proportional parliamentary representation:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Austrian interpretation of fascism had some slight differences to the NDSAP version

Most notably the Austrofascists heavily emphasised the role of Catholicism in Austrian history and society and saw their predominantly Protestant German cousins as being worse at being German* because of this. They were also a lot less antisemitic although there was cases of Bolshevism being seen as inherently Jewish they never had any laws specifically and explicitly targeting Jews like the Third Reich had. From what I've read their antisemitism also seems to have been more in line with the older religious/cultural antisemitism rather than the modern racial-science view the Nazis held.

It's a bit like if South-Korea was also Communist but were Shachtmanites who were deeply against Juche.

*In the wider cultural and linguistic sense of Germans rather than refering to the fairly recent nation-state.

Weren't the austro-facists quite closely aligned with Italian fascists? One of the reasons Mussolini gave up on the French and agreed a pact with Hitler was because the entente wouldn't support his objections to Anschluss.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think it was the other way around, the reason Mussolini agreed to Anschluss was because the Entente wouldn't lift the sanctions imposed as a consequence of Ethiopia. But yes, Italy was Austria's main patron, and keeping Germany at bay was one of Mussolini's political pillars, until it wasn't.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Countries that invaded Poland:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
According to the "countries invaded by Britain" map Poland was, in fact, invaded by Britain. Confirm/deny?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Legends? Who needs 'em?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Carbon dioxide posted:

never forget the brutal invasion of poland by moldavia.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Countries demarcated as not having invaded Poland: Andorra, San Marino, Monaco.

Countries which blend into the red areas and which have thus presumably invaded Poland: Vatican City, Liechtenstein.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Countries which blend into the red areas and which have thus presumably invaded Poland: Vatican City, Liechtenstein.

the vatican endorsed the teutonic crusades against the poles so who knows

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Did we ever find out how many divisions the Pope had?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
He definitely has a Marine Corps.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Oh, sorry, didn't know that you feel that way about small things. Have a full-size version of this image https://i.imgur.com/RQYG7i0.jpg (posted the smaller one here because this one filled up the screen)

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

steinrokkan posted:

He definitely has a Marine Corps.

Don't knock the military prowess of the genetically engineered Holy Synod of Commando Alligator Bishops. :colbert:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I still see mecha-gators.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Why are Norway & Sweden (and to a lesser extent Finland) so high, comparatively? It seems out of kilter with the rest of Northern Europe going down in % as you go Northwards.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Blut posted:

Why are Norway & Sweden (and to a lesser extent Finland) so high, comparatively? It seems out of kilter with the rest of Northern Europe going down in % as you go Northwards.

A better question is what's up with the Ainu? :thunk:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

It’s possible there is no reason and genetic drift can adequately explain regional variation.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fair.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Also might be that only the Ainu only get that much granulation on the map because Japan's the only country in the region that's had scientists looking into all sorts of random crap for more than a century now. There might well be equally hairy dudes in certain parts of Borneo and New Guinea but we just wouldn't have had it measured.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Beards are like the Ainu thing.

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

Autonomous Monster posted:

A better question is what's up with the Ainu? :thunk:

They're hairy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Is that "percentage of men who are hairy" or "Percentage of any given male body which is covered in hair"