Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The thing I most remember from Sonic 1 is the block pushing. The Master System version is a better game (but still weird for a Sonic game.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sonic Genesis for GBA

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sonic pocket adventure for neo geo pocket color was unironically the best 2d sonic in the last 25 years until mania.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

star light zone is a good song

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm gonna throw one out for my boy DQ3 because the personality test at the beginning is dope, building your own party (with more variety than in FF) is dope, being able to play as a woman is dope, and the world map being based on the real world is dope

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

omg its my all time fav

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

why is that man unfixed-scaling out of existence while screaming

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

I Know Why the Unfixed-Scaling Man Screams

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lets hang out posted:

castlevania for the x68000 is insanely mean, every hit starts taking out a quarter of your life from like stage 3 on

If you play the remix version on Castlevania Chronicles it makes it easier.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

The Colonel posted:

get the switch version because it has some extras
It physically pains me that IntiCreates straight up abandoned PC development :( I still check every once in awhile but it basically boiled down that Gunvolt bombed on Steam. They never backported the Gunvolt 2 stuff to 1 on Steam which is pretty significant so, yeah, get the Switch version.

Jay Rust posted:

There are tons of classic series I never really played. Could someone recommend a decent starting point for each one?

Dragon Quest, Mega Man, Sonic, pre-SotN Castlevania
Dragon Quest whatever the DS remakes are (lots of grinding though). Mega Man 3 (then play 2).

Castlevania 1 but skip as soon as you get frustrated of it to 3, then do the same with Rondo. If that's not your bag try Super Castlevania IV and then the Genesis one but if nothing sticks it's just not your type of game. Rondo also has a very good PSP remake of sorts (I have a very fond memory of annihilating the original right after the remake) but that's hard to get and pretty high difficulty. Castlevania Chronicles and Rebirth just felt like fangames to me with some odd design decisions (things like dozens of stairs a level and enemies locking to your horizontal position).

Edit: Oh yeah, 1 and 3 have some differences in the Japanese versions which I generally prefer (and they're easier generally), though US 3 has some significant changes to Grant (less cheesey) and a boss or two (the dragon) and imo worse music.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 9, 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Dragon Quest, Mega Man, Sonic, pre-SotN Castlevania

DQVII on PS1, Mega Man 2 GB, Sonic 2 on Game Gear, Castlevania: The Adventure on GB.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Phantasium posted:

DQVII on PS1, Mega Man 2 GB, Sonic 2 on Game Gear, Castlevania: The Adventure on GB.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, GB Castlevania is still better than Haunted Castle

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I can think of at least 6 Castlevania games that are worse than the GB ones

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
play castlevania: the adventure rebir--

wait, gently caress

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

play castlevania: the adventure rebir--

wait, gently caress

It's really easy to pirate it, which I don't feel bad mentioning seeing as you can't actually buy it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's really easy to pirate it, which I don't feel bad mentioning seeing as you can't actually buy it.

much like scott pilgrim vs the world

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Yeah, I can think of at least 6 Castlevania games that are worse than the GB ones

Castlevania 2 on GB is actually pretty good. Legends is boring and long but inoffensive. 1 is the worst game in the series to me easily, what is worse in your mind?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

oddium posted:

The whole soundtrack is p great op

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Realtalk Sonic 1's soundtrack is better than the rest of the series (until Sonic Mania if you count that)

Exception:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYWC6ob8uA0

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Phantasium posted:

Castlevania 2 on GB is actually pretty good. Legends is boring and long but inoffensive. 1 is the worst game in the series to me easily, what is worse in your mind?
Haunted Castle is worse.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Haunted Castle is worse.

Yeah, but 6 titles?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Realtalk Sonic 1's soundtrack is better than the rest of the series (until Sonic Mania if you count that)

Exception:

i would put toxic caves above it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m64iK733ZNk

exception:

oddium fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 9, 2018

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

Haunted Castle is worse.
Really, it just might be. At least Castlevania GB had that GBC version which helps it be not quite unplayable. Haunted Castle is probably worse than Castlevania for Tiger Electronics. I'd rather play Castlevania: Order of Shadows again!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

All the 16-bit Sonics had good soundtracks. I used to hold up my tape player to the TV speaker so I could record them. Now Chemical Plant is my ringtone :-)

https://youtu.be/w5g8XIlVYLI

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Spinball ain't mainline but it has great music ya

MysticalMachineGun posted:

All the 16-bit Sonics had good soundtracks. I used to hold up my tape player to the TV speaker so I could record them. Now Chemical Plant is my ringtone :-)

https://youtu.be/w5g8XIlVYLI

The Sonic Mania remix of it is so good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x25ZmpGCa0I

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

Yeah, but 6 titles?

Simon's Quest is probably worse too but I can't think of anything else unless we're getting into the realms of that Wii fighting game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Does difficulty effect score in the Yakuza 0 disco minigame

"fighting" Media King and getting flustered because I feel like I do a good job, then he beats me by 500 points. Finally I nearly perfect the song and he somehow has like 1000 more then he's ever gotten before and I don't know what the gently caress.

I don't want to lose this one because the grind is already real and garbage enough.

E: Beat him after a shocking number of attempt. Man that soured me.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 9, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryrT0msqwOk

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

The two Castlevania games on N64 (which I will only count as one)
The two Castlevania games on PS2
Judgement
Lords of Shadow 2
Haunted Castle
Castlevania for MSX

I also don't find the first GB one to be awful. It's very very slow but if you can get over that, it still has some pretty good desgn in there. I'd probably honestly play it over Simon's Quest even which I give legit points to for ambition but just has far more tedious flaws.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This actor that they got to play Han Solo seems bad but I would probably see it for Donald Glover

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also this is still the best Sonic song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVEyGntyOZQ

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Special Edition version is better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa0giRkQdQM

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Was really expecting this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gxnv0mBeU4

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't believe I did this but I think I'm done with nnk2 already. They made a cool world and a lot of systems but the kingdom stuff annoys me and the action ish combat just makes me want to play a game that actually has well designed combat, which is what happens whenever I play a ARPG. Go turn based or don't bother imo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Always good

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sonic 2 Special Edition is one of the greatest LPs ever made.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Does difficulty effect score in the Yakuza 0 disco minigame

"fighting" Media King and getting flustered because I feel like I do a good job, then he beats me by 500 points. Finally I nearly perfect the song and he somehow has like 1000 more then he's ever gotten before and I don't know what the gently caress.

I don't want to lose this one because the grind is already real and garbage enough.

E: Beat him after a shocking number of attempt. Man that soured me.

The only Kings I lost to where the Electronics King, because it's loving impossible and the Media King, because I had no idea how Disco worked before that. I think I upped the difficulty and then somehow beat him? That whole thing was pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This actor that they got to play Han Solo seems bad but I would probably see it for Donald Glover

I was really unsure until the new trailer today, now I am onboard with this young version of Han Solo.

• Locked thread