Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Oh. My. God. We might actually to get to see the Yamato-class battleship vs. Iowa fight that never happened irl :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

RZApublican posted:

Oh. My. God. We might actually to get to see the Yamato-class battleship vs. Iowa fight that never happened irl :allears:

Jonathon Parshall suggests that the Iowa would most likely come out on top, mostly due to greater speed and fire control. But who knows?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Coucho Marx posted:

Jonathon Parshall suggests that the Iowa would most likely come out on top, mostly due to greater speed and fire control. But who knows?

He's probably right, although he doesn't account for another five battleships, the Kido Butai, and a new Unryu-class carrier :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Grey's success shows you what is possible when your SAG commanders take proper naps.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Should I start reading this from the beginning or should I just drop right in?

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

The AI wanted Grey to not feel bad for putting Katoris with front line SAGs and so decided to put the QE an an amphib TF with an LST to show that it could be worse.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Should I start reading this from the beginning or should I just drop right in?

Start at the beginning. That's how I did his last L.P. Doing so will let you skip the slow days.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
SINK THE QUEEN

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Whoo! So how long likely to get the air groups up to full strength and refuel the combined fleet?

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

Coucho Marx posted:

The Fire control would probably have it, much like in DK Browns 'Nelson to Vanguard' Brown had the Vanguard as being a credible threat due to the massively more potent fire control radars and computers. But as for the game though... Hope we get to see!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Their ASW is getting better!

Erm, more info would be nice!

Well, this was never going to do anything was it.

Who's up for a second naval battle? I know I am!

Troop ships, yep, they are going to try and invade Rabaul once more.

Some of my bombers go on a suicide mission.

Time to send out the battleships!

A 250lb bomb at Saigon? That's really strange.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Grey Hunter posted:

A 250lb bomb at Saigon? That's really strange.

IIRC, aircraft on search or ASW missions carry their extended range loadout. LOTS of allied aircraft carry 250lbers as ER loads.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Oh please oh please oh please can we have another battleship surface brawl, this time including Iowa vs. Yamato.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Are the IJN surface ships even restocked with shells and torpedoes?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lakedaimon posted:

That would be the most GH thing ever. Sortie the entire goddamn fleet...with no ammo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P2gWRTDOss

I will accept a Yamato losing if it happens exactly like this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lakedaimon posted:

Yeah, let's have the apocalypse AFTER resupply.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Shells meh, our superior elan will rule the waves.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Can't wait for the assessment that the US Navy needs to train its sailors in boarding and ramming tactics after this failed invasion of Rabaul.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Y'know what the hell would happen if an Iowa rammed a Yamato?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Danann posted:

Can't wait for the assessment that the US Navy needs to train its sailors in boarding and ramming tactics after this failed invasion of Rabaul.

The cutlass again becomes standard equipment for every sailor.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

That would be the most GH thing ever. Sortie the entire goddamn fleet...with no ammo.
Or run out of fuel.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Or run out of fuel.

Weren't they already out of fuel?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crazycryodude posted:

The Iowa then executes the Yamato at point blank with its amazing guns, I just posted video evidence. :colbert:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Completely unrealistic, what would really happen is the secondary and AA guns start trading fire as Japanese marines with katanas attempt a boarding

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 9, 2018

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

wedgekree posted:

Weren't they already out of fuel?

Yes but they got better. However! This means that they have experience in fighting light. Obviously the only outcome possible will be our mighty forces letting the enemy ram us so we can then board and capture their ships, fuel AND troops.

This is the best plan ever and anyone who says otherwise needs reeducation in Burma or Chunking

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Does the game even model it taking longer than one or two days to replenish a task force taking it's size into account? Given the way it treats supplies as everything else this seems like the kind of thing it would ignore.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

RZApublican posted:

Given the way it treats supplies as everything else this seems like the kind of thing it would ignore.

Don't think this way. This game models certain things to utterly tedious levels of detail and others are completely abstract, there is no rhyme or reason to which is which.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

RZApublican posted:

Does the game even model it taking longer than one or two days to replenish a task force taking it's size into account? Given the way it treats supplies as everything else this seems like the kind of thing it would ignore.

Does it make you keep track of what sort of shells you're loading up into the turrets? If so do you have to manually switch the loadouts before an engagement (such as switching to HE for shore bombardment or AP if going to get into a surface engagement)?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
As far as I know all task forces are replenished in one day. Shells are tracked by gun, but don't come in AP or HE flavor.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Replenishment of both ammo and fuel takes "ops points".
Each ship gets 1000 ops points per day.
At least for the biggest carriers with a lot of "sorties" (bombs and avgas) replenishing both fuel and sorties if both are low takes 2 days.
I'm not sure if the same is true for big BBs, but I assume that the load cost of the ammo is in the calculation somewhere.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

A big BB force can sometimes take more than one day to replenish ammo.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Night10194 posted:

The Iowa then executes the Yamato at point blank with its amazing guns, I just posted video evidence. :colbert:

Fair enough.

What if the Queen Elisabeth rammed a Yamato?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CannonFodder posted:

Fair enough.

What if the Queen Elisabeth rammed a Yamato?

The QE comes out worse in that collision, probably.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
A port also has a certain limit on ops points it can spend in total in a single day.

So if you bring enough ships in need of fuel and ammo you can easily make resupply a 2-3 day adventure (usually this is only really noticeable on the allied side, as the japanese solves the issue by running out of ships)

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

In short: yeah there’s a pretty decent chance that the battleships being sent out have less than full ammo but it’s hard to say.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

They'd both be hosed in all kinds of ways? Like, pretty sure you'd see deformed keels and massive flooding for both at a minimum.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Magni posted:

They'd both be hosed in all kinds of ways? Like, pretty sure you'd see deformed keels and massive flooding for both at a minimum.

So, Allied fire control to save the day?

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

Omobono posted:

So, Allied fire control to save the day?

I know what you meant but that would be 'damage control', 'fire control' is tracking shots and calculating aim etc.

The IJN wasn't terribly good at either... the Allies had *vastly* superior radar and fire control computers and the Japanese forms of damage control was pretty much 'We can put this fire out by crushing it under the weight of oxygen and fuel!'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That's not fair to IJN DC. The doctrine of the IJN involved highly specialized damage control experts, much like most other navies. IJN DC did a good job with Zuikaku. The problem is when the experts die, or are isolated in another area of the ship, it's hard to recover. The USN made a religion of damage control and trained everyone all the time on a wide variety of damage control procedures and was uniquely good at DC.

Taiho was incompetence crossed with bad design.