Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

Nightgull posted:

Ok after a bit of play, I’m stuck.

Sword and shield is too wimpy.

Dual swords is ok but boring.

Long sword is neat but I can’t figure out the spirit blade system and can’t reliably replicate the jump in the air move. Also doesn’t seem to do that much damage.

Great sword is much too slow good lord.

Hammer is a little better but still too slow.

Lance is too goofy looking.

Bug / javelin is interesting but too complicated.

I’m not interested in ranged weapons and the switch weapons are weird and I don’t like them.

What do I do?

Also, what the hell is sharpness.

My advice would be to learn how to use a slow weapon effectively. I started with the hammer, love it and can always go back to it if I feel like smashing monster faces repeatedly.

I feel that because I began with a slow weapon I appreciated the fast weapons more when I started playing around with them (especially the IG) plus I’ve come to love the GS which also benefitted from using hammer first.

I strongly recommend using hammer basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Edit: You may not actually want max evade extender. On gunlance it can take you out of range for follow-up attacks.

A single backhop with evade extender 3 is still less distance than the forward charge.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Getting more of a feel for the game and I’ve been enjoying the greatsword now that I kinda know what I’m doing. Plus the jagras bone GS looks cool. Just got a full set of bone armor, I look like a barbarian! Pretty neat. GOnna try out the gunlance next session, from what I’ve read I might enjoy that. Deffo don’t like how it clips thru the bone helm ponytail thing...oh well.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Astroniomix posted:

A single backhop with evade extender 3 is still less distance than the forward charge.

Monsters move though. Depending on what move you dodged you can be just out, which irritated me enough that I went down a point.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

If I have 3 earplugs gems then all I need is one bazel item... as long as there are enough level 2 gem slots. I really don't WANT to have tobi kadachi gloves but how else do I get that evasion without more gems I don't have.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Krinkle posted:

If I have 3 earplugs gems then all I need is one bazel item... as long as there are enough level 2 gem slots. I really don't WANT to have tobi kadachi gloves but how else do I get that evasion without more gems I don't have.

Earplugs gems are rank 3.

Bazel helm and waist with 1 earplugs gem will get you earplugs 5, kushala legs with a gem will get you evade extender 3, legiana chest with an evade window charm will get you evade window 5.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 9, 2018

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Krinkle posted:

Yeah that horn suplex move is great. Okay well I gotta make a new outfit.

Lance/gunlance need evade extender. I might like that too.

How do I get: 5/5 earplugs. 3/3 evade extender. 5/5 evade window. I have 3 earplugs gems, and 1 evade extender gem to play with.

And some sharpness probably.

None related but that hero's streamstone for hunting horns was actually just a warrior's streamstone. And just one of them so I can't even bump up a baloney 7 rank horn. I'm sad.

A mix of Kushala and Bazel will get you Earplugs, Evasion Window/Extender, and some Handicraft as a bonus!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Forgot all about Legiana chest, that's a good one. I think I'm going to try and shoehorn the rathian armor into something next just because I like the look. My low rank gunlance build used the helm with high metal chest/waist and alloy arms/legs and I looked like a hilarious pear man.

Attack bacon, do you still have that master's touch Teostra build list? I built some of his pieces for a blast sns build today and I love the iridescent red-to purple color effect.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe you'd be interested in my Dark Souls set. It has evasion+5, evade extender+3 and handicraft+5 :pram: No Earplugs though, unfortunately. It's got three tier 2 slots and a tier 1 slot.

Your Computer posted:

Rath Heart Helm β
Kushala Cista β
Kushala Grip α
Rath Heart Coil β
Kushala Crus α
Evasion Charm III

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Forgot all about Legiana chest, that's a good one. I think I'm going to try and shoehorn the rathian armor into something next just because I like the look. My low rank gunlance build used the helm with high metal chest/waist and alloy arms/legs and I looked like a hilarious pear man.

Attack bacon, do you still have that master's touch Teostra build list? I built some of his pieces for a blast sns build today and I love the iridescent red-to purple color effect.

Toaster helm A
Vengis chest A
Toaster arms A
Vengis waist A
Toaster legs B

You need a tenderizer gem for the 3rd rank of weakness explot, fill in everything else with whatever you want. Health augment on your weapon and rocksteady mantle so you can take damage and activate latent power, I use an affinity booster to keep my sharpness up untill LP activates.

E: You can use toaster helm B if you like the look of it better and you have a throttle gem

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 9, 2018

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

I decided to make a “maximum fun” set for the Impact GS and came up with this:

(I left the two GS slots empty for flexibility)

It’s actually been really great for farming crowns! I haven’t used any other set since I made it and have had a (hehe) blast. I also thought it was cool that the armor seems to fit the theme of fire and metal aesthetically. Still a bit of a clown suit but I’ve really had fun with this build. I named it “CRUCIBLES FIRE” or some nonsense.

edit: The white sharpness lasts a lot longer than you would think, at least for me it does.

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

Your Computer posted:

Maybe you'd be interested in my Dark Souls set. It has evasion+5, evade extender+3 and handicraft+5 :pram: No Earplugs though, unfortunately. It's got three tier 2 slots and a tier 1 slot.

:dance:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

puking pentagrams posted:

edit: The white sharpness lasts a lot longer than you would think, at least for me it does.

I've just been using handicraft II on the rocket sword and I've yet to have a monster that wasn't dead before I hit blue.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yes, but it only unlocks after you've beaten Tempered Kirin.

This is not correct. It unlocks once you've found a HR Kirin track (which can often happen in the Tempered Kirin mission)

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

https://twitter.com/dustyn_echoes/status/983174992354361349?s=21

https://twitter.com/dustyn_echoes/status/983176249483784192?s=21

https://twitter.com/dustyn_echoes/status/983177104127750144?s=21

e: drat the gif quality seems to be bad. I used ps4 sharefactory if anyone is wondering

puking pentagrams fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 9, 2018

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

Astroniomix posted:

I've just been using handicraft II on the rocket sword and I've yet to have a monster that wasn't dead before I hit blue.

Yea I might never have to sharpen during the multi monster quests because I like to re up at the tent and you come out with full sharpness :black101:

e: I realize it takes longer to step in and out of a tent than it does to use a whetstone but the whetstone is hardly necessary when the monsters go down while sharpness is still white and my ocd forces me to return to camp after a capture. (even if my items are arranged in order I’ll still hit the “rearrange item” button for both my pouch and my box) :classiclol:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nightgull posted:

Ok after a bit of play, I’m stuck.

Sword and shield is too wimpy.

Dual swords is ok but boring.

Long sword is neat but I can’t figure out the spirit blade system and can’t reliably replicate the jump in the air move. Also doesn’t seem to do that much damage.

Great sword is much too slow good lord.

Hammer is a little better but still too slow.

Lance is too goofy looking.

Bug / javelin is interesting but too complicated.

I’m not interested in ranged weapons and the switch weapons are weird and I don’t like them.

What do I do?

Also, what the hell is sharpness.

I'd argue that SnS is hardly wimpy at all. You have to stick to the mon like glue and your shield is less a shield and more a bashing implement. Also, you get to dunk on the minister's head easily which is fun.

Swaxe is surprisingly simple once you get the basic combos down. Also as a HBG main I urge you to try it to satisfy your inner dakka fiend.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I made a few videos of a fast way through the two tempered monster track events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZqEuSOWbHE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsh_b2meDuU

You can adjust it a bit too and do some of the collection bounties in the process. Bugs, plants, and mining are usually best.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Beat XenoJiiva. GOTY easily so far.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Ibblebibble posted:

I'd argue that SnS is hardly wimpy at all. You have to stick to the mon like glue and your shield is less a shield and more a bashing implement. Also, you get to dunk on the minister's head easily which is fun.

Swaxe is surprisingly simple once you get the basic combos down. Also as a HBG main I urge you to try it to satisfy your inner dakka fiend.

Alright, I’ll give it a try tomorrow. Ugh, I wish I didn’t have to sleep, this game is a lot of fun.

Also I’m no DACA supporter but I wouldn’t call those kids fiends, Jesus.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also just don't worry about any weapon type dealing "low damage" in Monster Hunter, they're all essentially equal. It's just a matter of playstyle. :3:

Baron posted:

I made a few videos of a fast way through the two tempered monster track events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZqEuSOWbHE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsh_b2meDuU

You can adjust it a bit too and do some of the collection bounties in the process. Bugs, plants, and mining are usually best.
Thanks for posting this, it's neat to see other people's routes!

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

Thanks for posting this, it's neat to see other people's routes!

No problem! Gives me something fun to do after playing for so long.

500 hours now. This game got it's hooks in me like I can't believe. I probably would have burnt out a long time ago, but my buddy picked it up when he saw me playing all the time, and I've been helping him figure everything out. He's about to beat Tempered Kirin now, I'm so proud!

Also, he's beat everything so far only using SnS so don't let anyone tell you it's a weak weapon :)

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I'm surprised that all Hunters in the MH universe aren't just deaf from all the roaring they endure.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I cobbled together an Earplugs 4/Focus 2/Weakness Exploit 3/Crit Draw 3/Handicraft 2/Non elemental boost build to play around with the Wyvern Ignition GS and dear god IT'S FUN

Taking down Rathalos in the Crown event quest in less than a minute was so satisfying. Some of my swings were landing for 600+ damage.

Kinda wish I could max out Focus or Earplugs though without losing anything else though. If I had a focus decoration I could slot it into an augmented slot on the sword itself but that's about it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Revitalized posted:

I'm surprised that all Hunters in the MH universe aren't just deaf from all the roaring they endure.

Try jumping from the very top of Coral Highlands. My shins ache every time.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

e: drat the gif quality seems to be bad. I used ps4 sharefactory if anyone is wondering

Next time, don't make GIFs.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Matsuri posted:

I cobbled together an Earplugs 4/Focus 2/Weakness Exploit 3/Crit Draw 3/Handicraft 2/Non elemental boost build to play around with the Wyvern Ignition GS and dear god IT'S FUN

Taking down Rathalos in the Crown event quest in less than a minute was so satisfying. Some of my swings were landing for 600+ damage.

Kinda wish I could max out Focus or Earplugs though without losing anything else though. If I had a focus decoration I could slot it into an augmented slot on the sword itself but that's about it.

The difference between focus 2 and 3 is about 10 frames, don't sweat it.

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

Matsuri posted:

Which quest is that? I didn’t know there was a (large?) crown event quest for Rathalos.

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

Magus42 posted:

Next time, don't make GIFs.

:hmmyes:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Astroniomix posted:

The difference between focus 2 and 3 is about 10 frames, don't sweat it.

Hm. Maybe I'll go for plugs 5 then.

Which quest is that? I didn’t know there was a (large?) crown event quest for Rathalos.

It's the event quest with 5 monsters in the forest. Don't remember the name but all locales have the crown quests up right now and they all have music references in the names. Since there are so many monsters their health is reduced so they die faster.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to think using the lance has made me worse at the other weapons. If I'm gonna fight something dangerous like the elder dragons or tempered monsters I just don't feel safe using anything other than the lance anymore :negative:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

I'm starting to think using the lance has made me worse at the other weapons. If I'm gonna fight something dangerous like the elder dragons or tempered monsters I just don't feel safe using anything other than the lance anymore :negative:

The best way to get good with other weapons is to just play them. You will adapt.

I haven't played Great Sword since MH4 and getting the hang of using it again today took me one or two missions and I was fine.

I've never liked bowguns but I got the hang of my Legiana HBG after dying a couple times. Still don't care much for it though. Switch Axe and Insect Glaive are still my favorites, but I have fun with LS and Hammer and GS too.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
jeez that's a big barroth :stare:

I don't want the dumb fightman suit so I just did it once for the crown but I felt very inadequate chopping at his ankles

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

Your Computer has played lots of monster hunter, I’m sure they’ll be fine.

edit: is MH4U better than generations?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Same, but it's not just not feeling safe, I'm just completely garbage with them and I don't like them because they aren't the Lance. I tried a Gunlance VS Barroth for the Ryu armor (gonna do it once every day til I get the armor cause that quest blows but the arena as a whole blows so I may as well use it to get my daily bounties) and it was just miserable. I can totally get how other people like it but I just want my hops and stabs back. I'll try the other weapons but for now, I'm feeling the pain of playing MHW as a Lance Simulator.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer has played lots of monster hunter, I’m sure they’ll be fine.

I think it is. I loved 4U to pieces and felt very turned off by Generations. Can't really put my finger on why though. Might pick it up again someday

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Only too me an hour to find the petricanth.

Now to hunt for the downy crake. :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'm the resident Generations apologist in this thread and I assume everyone else will reply that 4U is better so I'm gonna say that I probably enjoyed Generations more. :shobon: Ultimately they're pretty different since Generations has the styles and arts, but basically Generations just has a lot more content. More monsters, more locations, more armors, more weapons, more stuff to play around with. Apparently the endgame grind sucks but I never really bothered with it and I feel like I still got a good couple of hundred hours out of the game (and then again in XX).

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

Thanks for the answers, just gets me excited to play both! I’ve played Generations and worked my way up to the bujabujabu set so I’ll probably try and get through it first before I play 4U. Right now I’m doing my best to platinum MHW so it might be a while before I get back on the 3DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Downy crake get after only thirty minutes :toot: I managed to get the rainbow beetle as well so the only achievement bird left to get is the spiny crake.