Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Texted you. It would be fun to do all that, as well as refresh the suspension, flush brakes, and catch up on all sorts of other things.

And also the SageGauge. Sagebrush is a national treasure.

Normal brain: 690 SM
Super brain: DR650
Galaxy brain: 80's Honda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Coydog posted:

And also the SageGauge. Sagebrush is a national treasure.

I think you've got your product name right there sage.

Please give us an update on how that's going BTW.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I'm changing my handlebars as they are a little crooked on the throttle side after a spill last year. I don't really mind it myself, but kinda want it to be straight before I try to sell the bike. I also take off the gps mount, doubletake mirrors + cyclops led main bulb, I can reuse those on other bikes, and people wont bid more with them on.

Hit a little snag with the new bars, I bought too solid bars. The inner hole is too small for the drat inserts for the hand guards.. but only just..

This is mid grinding. the stopper nut was the widest part, needed to trim it down from 15mm to sub 14mm to get it to fit.

They fit with a little massaging by the universal tool(rubber hammer).

I am truly becoming a PO. gonna take some force to get em out again..

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Unscrewed old mirrors, put new ones on.

Downsides:
Bit more zoomed.
Bit darker with that 'anti glare' bs

Upsides:
I can actually see stuff other than my elbows.
Easy to adjust
Passes the 'will this hold my helmet' test.
They where £20 so no big loss if I get pissed with them in the future

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

HELLO*

*yep, filtering is going to be a bit more interesting this summer.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
A bunch of bullshit. Next time I'll pay the extra $40 for one that's already filled and charged.

The best part was the leaky cap on the bottle of acid

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
lol mine came with measured and spaced containers that you just pushed down onto the top of the battery

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Mine too, I don't even know why it would come with a bottle and that whole contraption. The red caps that a spaced fill bottle would fit are even RIGHT THERE.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Maybe this is the hipster authenticity I get for buying my battery from an old dude in a grungy battery shop

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Brand new modern yuasas all come that way too :shrug: I've never seen a non-sealed battery that had the push-on multiple cell acid tank thingy.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I had the special push-on pack. I forget what brand it was... probably YUASA. The bike was a... was it an XT350? I think it was my old XT350. Just invert the pack onto the battery cell orifices and press down.

Dog Case and I have the same bike, GN125. I managed to get a sealed battery for that model from a company called MotoBatt on ebay. The bike came with an Autozone-like generic powersports battery from the previous owner that lasted an improbable 6 years. It was still good when I took it off the bike, but I knew that it couldn't last much longer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

I had the special push-on pack. I forget what brand it was... probably YUASA. The bike was a... was it an XT350? I think it was my old XT350. Just invert the pack onto the battery cell orifices and press down.

Yeah, but I'll bet it had one big lid for all six cells instead of individual caps. Sealed vs not sealed.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
"Conventional" vs sealed/maintenance-free vs factory-activated. In my opinion, which I know nobody asked, just get the cheapest battery available because all batteries suck and will die in a year unless you keep a tender on them all the time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

"Conventional" vs sealed/maintenance-free vs factory-activated. In my opinion, which I know nobody asked, just get the cheapest battery available because all batteries suck and will die in a year unless you keep a tender on them all the time.

That's the right answer although I've found the more expensive stuff tends to have better odds of surviving discharging. Cheap chinese batteries seem to permanently lose most of their CCA if you take them under 10v.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

This is the best answer. I've had three Mighty Max $20 batteries from amazon and one has been defective. Other than the hassle of troubleshooting, they were appologetic and got me a replacement right away. It's been great for the last 6 months, and would purchase yet again.

The shorai Jazzzz put in the 690 was also awesome, but I wouldn't go for it again because effort.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Something's been really fucky with my clutch for ages and no amount of pushrod or cable fuckery was helping, so I barnetted the bitch. Plates were down to minimum, steels were burned and one or two were warped, at 20k :shrug:

Had a real fun time throwing away a full catch pan of new oil and coolant, because the new gasket folded down as I reinstalled the clutch cover and cocktailed the two smfh

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The gently caress do you do to your batteries? I put them through probably about the worst possible regime (multiple short journeys, in cold weather, while connected to a Fine Italian Motorcycle) and the only one I've ever known to last less than two years was a Motobatt that I bought in a fit of "What's the point of paying twice the price for something that's just going to fail?".

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
My batteries all last years, expensive sealed ones or conventional ones. Cause I put a tender on them a lot. But I work at a shop and routinely see people killing their batteries once or more a season. All different kinds of batteries, lithiums too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's no mystery here, they're like literally every other piece of technology ever invented right back to the very first bone club or whatever: if you're an idiot, it won't last as long as it should. And most people are idiots.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Just got back from a 3000km-ish ride through some of Australia’s best roads. Generally excellent. Miraculously avoided every police patrol, completely shredded a new set of Q3s. Fun time. Half way through, my Tuono started weeping oil from the rear cylinder head gasket, which seemed weird given that I’d just replaced that gasket when checking the valve clearances. Popped it open to have a look today and :regd09:

Old time-sert in the cylinder head ain't serted into anything no more.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Was the old screw bottoming out and shearing the timecert out? No idea how you fix that without having someone weld the hole shut and retap it.. A timecert in a bigger timecert?

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 9, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Aren't those bolts shanked so as to compress the rubber gasket a set amount while bottoming against the head surface? If so the only way to fix it is to weld the hole, mill the area flat and drill+tap a new hole. Otherwise you'll always have a wonky gasket.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slim Pickens posted:

A timecert in a bigger timecert?
You can indeed do this. I saw it several times on the classroom bikes at MMI.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slim Pickens posted:

Was the old screw bottoming out and shearing the timecert out? No idea how you fix that without having someone weld the hole shut and retap it.. A timecert in a bigger timecert?

Yeah, that could work. “Yo dawg, I hear you like timeserts in your timeserts, etc.” Meanwhile, the loose advice I’ve gotten from Melbourne’s only competent Aprilia tech has been:

quote:

Is the thread in the head still ok? I would loctite it in with the really strong stuff – 270 I think it is these days. Or a bearing fit style of stuff. Or drill through the side of the head into it and pin or grubscrew it. Just try to be as gentle on the head as possible.

Drill the side of the head, you say? Hmm.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Just KTM things

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's what happens when you buy the wrong kind of ktm, the good kind don't have any keys.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
This one is about to not have keys either :shepicide:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

That's what happens when you buy the wrong kind of ktm, the good kind don't have any keys.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Need another bracket and a terminal, but like how it looks.

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 10, 2018

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Haha i like it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Haha goddamn that's uncanny

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
... gently caress.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shelvocke posted:

Need another bracket and a terminal, but like how it looks.

That looks great, man! Way better than the dual headlight thing, and you picked up some wind protection!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:thurman:

I dig that rallye screen, sell it to me

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Installed gps mount, mirrors and ktm duke handguards.

Almost finished version 1 of the cockpit, still need to wire up the gps mount to switched power(stopped when the air temp dropped toi 37f..), and futs around with angle and positioning of both the mirrors and the gps.

I also removed the plasti dip from most of the panels, and found no major and a few minor scratches. gonna hit them with some mild restore polish.

Managed to loose air box screw down somewhere below the air box/along the frame, couldn't find it. it's not inside the engine, but I probably gotta remove the air box to locate it.

Ordered k&n washable air filter, iridium plugs and led front indicators with compatible mounts. The front indicators has some kinda strange rubber mount.

I need to figure out the trick with removing the tank solo. it's rear hinged, but the fuel disconnect kinda needs 2 hand + you need to stop it from pissing fuel down into the electrics if it's over half full.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Deplastidipped, radiator flushed and coolant changed, + oil and oil filter. Rode it home for the first time today.

Gonna hit up a locksmith tomorrow that carries yamaha keys with immobilizer chips.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shelvocke posted:

... gently caress.

Get some gold paint and roll with it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Installed givi top box and side soft bag racks. I had forgotten how finicky they can be to install, with slightly uneven bars and "reuse old part #x" which helps a lot when a PO has added a tidy tail and aftermarket exhaust.. Had to modify the tidy tail plastic a little.

Also helps that they include screws that are long enough when they are tightened, but not long enough to actually get them to grip when things aren't perfectly lined up.
It was about 5 hours of work.

Well, it's never coming off.

Full super tanker mode

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Fixed the new headlights/rack with galvanized steel brackets, as the provided ones felt a bit flimsy. Protaper contour handlebars and pillow top grips.

Despite the robot aardvark styling and chortling of goons, I'm actually pleased. The rack is useful for extending the sparse luggage options, and removing the shield removed the blind spot, making London filtering much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Shelvocke posted:

Despite the robot aardvark styling and chortling of goons, I'm actually pleased.

I personally love the look.
I still think you should lean into it and paint it gold.