Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The SNES is the last actually good Nintendo console. It's the last Nintendo console with a non-stupid controller, you could probably drag a SNES behind a car for 10 miles and it would still work, and it's got a shitload of good games, instead of being a loving Smash Brothers machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

StabMasterArson posted:

The Nintendo Switch loving sucks and it makes me mad to think about how retarded I was for buying it full price on release day every time I look at it. Its library consists entirely of ports of indie games that came out 1-5 years ago except they cost double the price of what they were new. Splatoon sucks if you've ever played a game where you shoot guns before. The controllers lose connection if they move slightly behind your knee. All the upcoming games are also ports. For being a 'portable' system, the battery lasts maybe 3 hours. Sleep mode still drains battery like crazy. My PSP Go has been on 3 bars of charge for months. The hardware would be forgiven if there was any software to back it up but it's just not the case. But all I ever see of the Switch is people singing its praises so idk.

The stating the obvious thread is this way ------>

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

dont even fink about it posted:

The SNES Gamecube is the last actually good Nintendo console. It's the last Nintendo console with a non-stupid controller, you could probably drag a SNES Gamecube behind a car for 10 miles and it would still work, and it's got a shitload of good games, instead of being a loving Smash Brothers machine.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The SNES is the last actually good Nintendo console. It's the last Nintendo console with a non-stupid controller, you could probably drag a SNES behind a car for 10 miles and it would still work, and it's got a shitload of good games, instead of being a loving Smash Brothers machine.

its actually the gamecube you fool

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rutibex posted:

its actually the gamecube you fool

The game cube isn't a cube.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Nintendo is the line for this thread. Anytime someone criticizes the switch, mario or whatever people come out of the woodwork. It's mostly due to SA's demographics having mostly 80s/90s kids.

It's actually you going on a tirade full of patently false info any time Nintendo comes up, and also mistaking anyone enjoying a Nintendo game as unmitigated fanboyism hth. If you stopped being so stupid and wrong all the time people wouldn't come out of the wookwork.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i still have my gamecube. i mean, i still have the box, the cords are long gone and the disc reader stopped working way back in 2003 or 4 because of a pretty well known defect

yeah that thing is sturdy as gently caress and gamecube controllers were a perfect design

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

It's actually you going on a tirade full of patently false info any time Nintendo comes up, and also mistaking anyone enjoying a Nintendo game as unmitigated fanboyism hth. If you stopped being so stupid and wrong all the time people wouldn't come out of the wookwork.
Yeah that guy has a weird anti-Nintendo boner. I haven't bought a Nintendo console since the GBA but whenever I play their games at a friend's place I enjoy myself. Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey look legitimately fun too. Not full-price plus the console fun, but fun.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fartbox posted:

I wanted to love Guild Wars 2 but it was trash, hard trash

The gameplay was just too dull and the world was too packed with garbage trash mobs. It never felt like a world, just a gauntlet of neverending TRASH
On-release? Hell yeah. The first 2-3 years of the game were pretty drat rough gameplay-wise.

Now? Much better. I don't think you would like it because it's the same foundation, but the missions, enemies, and abilities have all been improved immensely from years of feedback and learning. It's actually a running joke in the community how many people who only played the game years ago still label it as trash despite its thriving community and steady release of new content.

The lore/world/aesthetic is the ultimate draw though, make no mistake.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

unpopular video game opinion: kinda want to play this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8J7N_dQbcs

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

basic hitler posted:

unpopular video game opinion: kinda want to play this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8J7N_dQbcs

:eyepoop:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Battle Royale type games aren't brutal enough in their depiction of the scenario. They should be horrifying

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

signalnoise posted:

Battle Royale type games aren't brutal enough in their depiction of the scenario. They should be horrifying

Games arent horrifying, when they try theyre either ridiculously over the top or just funny

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

What's funny is they should totally ride this trend and make an ACTUAL Battle Royale game, like, literally set in Battle Royale. Going by those rules it'd be hilarious to give the two best players in the game with the best KDR full on assault weapons while everyone else might roll a pointy stick.

ED: I actually mean that, I think that'd be kind of amazing for gameplay because the whole server would have a debate if they want to band together and gank the really good guys with really good guns first, or if they want to scatter and hope someone takes them out / thins the herd.

ED: Having an alternate PVE side objective to destroy the control tower to win the game would be doubly amazing for this sort of game, because it'd come down to "if you can trust people to help you, you have a chance to win and everyone to live, but odds are they'll end up ganking you." So much potential for the actual BR IP

ED: I know the parachute drop thing is popular but can you imagine this: You're waiting your turn to spawn in a line with all the other players. You can see them. But if you draw a weapon now, or go out of order, the like 30 soldiers will immediately gun you down, or your collar will detonate. So you can't. You've got to let them take their run time, one after the other.. yeah they definitely need to make a legit BR game

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 10, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also if nobody ever saw Battle Royale II two things

A) Is is loving horrible and an awful sequel

B) It is loving amazing and the most what the gently caress thing you'll ever see in your life

Favorite moments: A dude putting on full rugbee gear to catch a grenade, and the fact the heroes lofty goals was to survive and join the Taliban

ED: Oh did I mention it opens with the main characters pulling Japan 9/11 because they hate people over 30 or some stupid poo poo?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Their handhelds pretty much have complete control of the market, although that might change with the switch's battery life

The Switch's battery life kills it as a handheld and that's a real shame. If they ever do a hardware revision, that revision needs to extend the battery life significantly. Also the fact that its charging port is on the bottom and you can't have it plugged in while it's in kickstand mode is lol

There are some very good games for the Switch but I'd say it's currently in "early PS4" territory. There are a handful of really good games but if none of those are complete must-plays for you (like Bloodborne was for a lot of people on PS4) it's probably a good idea to wait another year or so and see where things are then.

I'm glad I have one though because Octopath Traveler is gonna own

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

a bone to pick posted:

Shigeru Miyamoto isn't going to gently caress you dude

there's a lot of nintendo kool aid drinkers out there but that doesn't mean that i can't still make fun of someone complaining that they were literally too stupid to realize their poo poo was broken lol

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Harrow posted:

The Switch's battery life kills it as a handheld and that's a real shame. If they ever do a hardware revision, that revision needs to extend the battery life significantly. Also the fact that its charging port is on the bottom and you can't have it plugged in while it's in kickstand mode is lol

There are some very good games for the Switch but I'd say it's currently in "early PS4" territory. There are a handful of really good games but if none of those are complete must-plays for you (like Bloodborne was for a lot of people on PS4) it's probably a good idea to wait another year or so and see where things are then.

I'm glad I have one though because Octopath Traveler is gonna own

possible unpopular opinion: If you're gonna buy a console you should buy it based on its games rather than the console itself

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I found the dead space gimmick of killing poo poo by blowing off limbs refreshing and good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

signalnoise posted:

possible unpopular opinion: If you're gonna buy a console you should buy it based on its games rather than the console itself

Yeah I guess that's probably a better way of saying it: buy a console when it has enough games you want to play to justify the cost to you and no sooner

It's why buying consoles on launch is nuts to me. That's when there are the fewest games and when you're most likely to encounter hardware issues.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

Most external batteries works for the switch thanks to the usb-c port.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gmq posted:

Most external batteries works for the switch thanks to the usb-c port.

Yeah, that definitely helps for sure, though you need a specialized stand to be able to use an external battery while it's in tabletop mode which is kinda goofy.

It's also unfortunate that the system sorta requires an external battery if you want to use it handheld while you're away from an outlet. Obviously it's workable--I'm planning to buy an external battery pack myself before my next long flight--but I'd prefer if I didn't need to and it limits how excited I am to use it as a handheld.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Would you rather it had a bulky, huge built in battery rather than have it a separate device

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
my android tablet lasts for 10 hours and its not bulky at all.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Rutibex posted:

my android tablet lasts for 10 hours and its not bulky at all.

My old nokia phone lasted a week

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

Would you rather it had a bulky, huge built in battery rather than have it a separate device

This argument kinda relies on the separate device not being something extra I have to buy if I want to play it on the go for more than a couple hours between charges. Like if it came with an external battery pack I'd probably be more forgiving.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

old beast lunatic posted:

I found the dead space gimmick of killing poo poo by blowing off limbs refreshing and good.

That's a rather tame opinion, let me show you how it's done.

Dead Space was never good; it's slow, clunky, and full of stupid loving gimmicks. It never should have had a sequel, but at last people caught on to how shite it was by the second game.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Harrow posted:

This argument kinda relies on the separate device not being something extra I have to buy if I want to play it on the go for more than a couple hours between charges. Like if it came with an external battery pack I'd probably be more forgiving.

Very minor annoyance (a decent power bank is like 50 bucks, right) but a valid one i guess

I mean im super annoyed at the lovely battery life on my iphone but realise its not really apples fault

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm happy with Nintendo giving me the entry level of service alone and letting me just get the poo poo I want, but it should be understood that the base system is generally not enough. Accessories are a big part of the switch. You can buy battery packs that strap onto the back of the system and what not, but if they bulked up the system any more than it is then playing it in bed would be just complete bullshit.

At the end of the day I'm pleased with the switch because I like the games on it, which should be your criteria for buying a console in the first place. Like I see complaints that people bought a system with no games they wanna play on it. Why'd you loving buy it???

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Unpopular opinion: Unresearched and uninformed purchases at significantly high prices deserve no sympathy if the company isn't actively trying to bamboozle you

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Like, dindendo probably didnt promise you longer battery life than the switch has

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

a bone to pick posted:

That's a rather tame opinion, let me show you how it's done.

Dead Space was never good; it's slow, clunky, and full of stupid loving gimmicks. It never should have had a sequel, but at last people caught on to how shite it was by the second game.

Dead Space was a good game because it had physically disorienting 3D space environments like Prey did. Dead Space 2 is not a good game because you had the stupid hover belt that kept you oriented and ruined the game.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

Dead Space was a good game because it had physically disorienting 3D space environments like Prey did. Dead Space 2 is not a good game because you had the stupid hover belt that kept you oriented and ruined the game.

Listen you, stop trying to disprove my unpopular opinions!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

Let's altogether forget about Dead Space 3

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Let's altogether forget about Dead Space 3

I actually bought it during a Steam sale, played it once for maybe 10 minutes, and haven't gone back to it. I'm not really sure how it lost my interest so quickly but it did. :shrug:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I actually bought it during a Steam sale, played it once for maybe 10 minutes, and haven't gone back to it. I'm not really sure how it lost my interest so quickly but it did. :shrug:

Well, remember when Dead Space 1 and 2 were tight, focused games that mixed Resident Evil and Doom in an engaging fashion? What if we gently caress all of that up and make Mass Dead Space Effect, because male underwear model protagonists are what all the kids want these days.

I'll see if I can find the posts by the goon who worked on DS3 and talked about what a clusterfuck the development was.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

If this is your response when someone criticizes a video game you don't like then the labels might be appropriate. You've called me immensely pathetic because i said "The game is this long" before.

Nintendo is a corporation and it's games are products. Nobody is insulting your family, calm down.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

If this is your response when someone criticizes a video game you don't like then the labels might be appropriate. You've called me immensely pathetic because i said "The game is this long" before.

Nintendo is a corporation and it's games are products. Nobody is insulting your family, calm down.

To be fair you're just the absolute worst

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
FF7 wasn't good and it's over hyped as gently caress.

Best FF was Tactics, Tactics Advanced and R2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I called you pathetic because you supposedly "watched an entire play through" of a game you very vocally hate for some unknown reason. I really can't think of a dumber way to spend one's free time. I called you wrong because literally anyone who has ever played it knows that basically everything you have said about it is wrong. I don't even like the game that much, thought it was decent and couldn't care less if anyone else likes it.

E: Just to be clear I'm not calling you out due to a love of Nintendo, I just think you are awful.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 11, 2018