Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoAlZX0VJos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t32jRaYLfrk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Sweet mother of god.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Holy loving poo poo, how and why does it even keep getting better

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Actually, our standards just keep getting lower.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That also applies to my romantic life

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Ariong posted:

I never noticed before that Dogwelder actually got close enough to the unknowable eldritch abomination to weld a dog to it.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

:stare:

Oh my loving god, it's so perfect. :lol:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Lobo is the best DC character hands down. Except for that one time he came back as skinny emo Lobo.

If DC wants to get on the Deadpool, R rated movie train, they need to make a Lobo movie.

Actually they don't even need to because he doesn't actually swear, he uses fake swears because they wanted him to be edgy even back when there was still the Comic Code. He's like the Battlestar Galactica of comics but actually decent.

DiggityDoink has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Apr 9, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DiggityDoink posted:

If DC wants to get on the Deadpool, R rated movie train, they need to make a Lobo movie.

Horrible news, everyone!

http://collider.com/michael-bay-lobo-movie/

it probably won't ever get made

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Memento posted:

Horrible news, everyone!

http://collider.com/michael-bay-lobo-movie/

it probably won't ever get made

Oh goddamnit, I hope that never gets made. Michael Bay is a lovely filmmaker who can't do a loving thing without CGI.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DiggityDoink posted:

Oh goddamnit, I hope that never gets made. Michael Bay is a lovely filmmaker who can't do a loving thing without CGI.
Michael Bay is a genius filmmaker (no lie), but he is an industrial-grade nihilist. He views the material he directs as a way to play with high-budget filmmaking equipment and/or showcase how absolutely terrible the world and everyone in it are.

His entire body of work is consistent on this. Pain & Gain is a great movie and Armageddon got selected for the Criterion collection entirely on its technical merits.

He *is* passively racist and actively sexist though, don't get me wrong.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Michael Bay is a genius filmmaker (no lie), but he is an industrial-grade nihilist. He views the material he directs as a way to play with high-budget filmmaking equipment and/or showcase how absolutely terrible the world and everyone in it are.

His entire body of work is consistent on this. Pain & Gain is a great movie and Armageddon got selected for the Criterion collection entirely on its technical merits.

He *is* passively racist and actively sexist though, don't get me wrong.

I would like to put up the entire Transformers franchise against what you are saying, because they were not made by a genius film maker. They were made by a loving hack.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Or someone with a colossal and not-unfounded hatred for the source material who knows they're making a garbage summer blockbuster for manchildren and just wants to make super intricate CGI happen.

I mean, I really don't have an opinion on Bay one way or the other but nothing about the Transformers movies really screws with mind the walrus' take. There had to be at least some self awareness to be able to attain that level of utter and complete poo poo. Those movies actively try to be bad.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DiggityDoink posted:

I would like to put up the entire Transformers franchise against what you are saying, because they were not made by a genius film maker. They were made by a loving hack.
Yes, they were. He just did not give a gently caress about the end product beyond what would sell and get him funding. The rest was figuring out inventive and yes, genius ways to stage, light, frame, and shoot the crap the script called for.

CineD did a shot-by-shot breakdown a few years ago and while I'll be the first to say that lots of those guys are gimmicks who mistake the trees for the forest, the analysis makes an amazing argument for Michael Bay as a technician. Then watch his original material, particularly Bad Boys 2 and Pain & Gain. He comes alive and shows such naked contempt for every single character and you realize half of the hacky stuff he does like the explosions are his way of coping with his unabashed misanthropy.

Like look I remember being an autistic little boy scouring the internet in the late 90s for Transformers fan-pages and harrassing the gently caress out of the lead writer for Beast Machines for "ruining the franchise." I remember the horror when I saw how Bay interpreted the material in 2007. I get it. I really, really do.

It has been 11 years and 5 movies later. Grow up and find the silver lining.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
"Grow up and start enjoying garbage movies"

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Yes, they were. He just did not give a gently caress about the end product beyond what would sell and get him funding. The rest was figuring out inventive and yes, genius ways to stage, light, frame, and shoot the crap the script called for.

CineD did a shot-by-shot breakdown a few years ago and while I'll be the first to say that lots of those guys are gimmicks who mistake the trees for the forest, the analysis makes an amazing argument for Michael Bay as a technician. Then watch his original material, particularly Bad Boys 2 and Pain & Gain. He comes alive and shows such naked contempt for every single character and you realize half of the hacky stuff he does like the explosions are his way of coping with his unabashed misanthropy.

Like look I remember being an autistic little boy scouring the internet in the late 90s for Transformers fan-pages and harrassing the gently caress out of the lead writer for Beast Machines for "ruining the franchise." I remember the horror when I saw how Bay interpreted the material in 2007. I get it. I really, really do.

The second you brought CineD into this you lost.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
https://i.imgur.com/fScYUnr.mp4

*edit*

https://i.imgur.com/qlKsgv0.mp4

Sormus has a new favorite as of 09:44 on Apr 9, 2018

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Samuringa posted:

"Grow up and start enjoying garbage movies"
Who said enjoy? I don't like the Transformers movies at all. I also recognize good craftsmanship and Michael Bay's other work indicates a scarily talented filmmaker who truly does not give a gently caress about his content. I let go of the inner kid mad about giving the cartoon truck man lips instead of a face plate.

Also lmfao at the weak poo poo "the moment you brought CineD into this." Alright champ you sure shoved me into a cul de sac with that one. Enjoy swimming in the shallow end of the pool.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

My love for Water World is eternal and true.

I'm shocked gifs of the oil guy and the flare drop aren't being memed to death.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I haven't seen Pain & Gain, but the Every Frame a Painting guy seemed to make a compelling point that Bay is a prisoner of his own style when his characters say basically that less is more as they sit on a (seemingly private) pier in Miami while a speedboat races by.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Who said enjoy? I don't like the Transformers movies at all. I also recognize good craftsmanship and Michael Bay's other work indicates a scarily talented filmmaker who truly does not give a gently caress about his content. I let go of the inner kid mad about giving the cartoon truck man lips instead of a face plate.

Also lmfao at the weak poo poo "the moment you brought CineD into this." Alright champ you sure shoved me into a cul de sac with that one. Enjoy swimming in the shallow end of the pool.

Michael Bay has absolute contempt for his characters, plots and audience. Once you realize this you can appreciate the effort he puts into giving everyone involved in his movies a perfectly-crafted cgi middle finger.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Afriscipio posted:

Michael Bay has absolute contempt for his characters, plots and audience. Once you realize this you can appreciate the effort he puts into giving everyone involved in his movies a perfectly-crafted cgi middle finger.

Isn't it the filmmaker's job to get into the audience's head, not the other way around?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

crime fighting hog posted:

My love for Water World is eternal and true.

I'm shocked gifs of the oil guy and the flare drop aren't being memed to death.

I saw Waterworld on TV when I was a kiddo and I seem to remember it was a good movie. I haven't had the balls to rewatch it since, not after doing that to Postman.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sormus posted:

I saw Waterworld on TV when I was a kiddo and I seem to remember it was a good movie. I haven't had the balls to rewatch it since, not after doing that to Postman.

Same, but with Batman & Robin instead of Postman.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Batman & Robin is a great movie, if you skip every part that doesn't have Arnold making puns. And faces! I forgot how expressive he is in this.

Basically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkTHtWX7CCY

Sormus has a new favorite as of 11:31 on Apr 9, 2018

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

:hmmyes:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dave Grool posted:

Isn't it the filmmaker's job to get into the audience's head, not the other way around?
Not really. No. The filmmaker's job is to put something on celluloid and literally make a film. Everything else is capitalist considerations (affirming or rejecting).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Same, but with Batman & Robin instead of Postman.
Batman & Robin is great fun if you view it as what it is-- a homosexual version of the Adam West show drenched in 90s neon.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Batman & Robin is great fun if you view it as what it is-- a homosexual version of the Adam West show drenched in 90s neon.

I don't understand. What's changed?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Slime posted:

I don't understand. What's changed?

They upgraded to leather

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think I'll just stick to watching good films by people who care about what they're making tbh

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Apr 9, 2018

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

mind the walrus posted:

jesus christ dude

Michael has made zero good movies since The Rock in 1996 and that movie was only good because it had good actors in it playing off eachother so well. It was also only "good" in the sense that it was schlocky 90's action stuff

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
maybe just enjoy tv/movies/music you find enjoyable and let other people do the same

except anime. delete all of it.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
So, if Michael Bay is a genius, that means the horrendously bad framing and editing in action sequences that make it impossible to follow the flow of action from one shot to the next is purposeful?

I dunno. Even if you're technically brilliant and you just hate what you do so all the bad choices are on purpose, still seems like that makes you a bad filmmaker. The racism kind of cancels out you being good with cameras, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
why can't Michael Bay make a movie this good???: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWHJTvzC-Qo