Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

with the science of marxism we can form a conceptual understanding of complex sociopolitical realities which allow us to avoid the cognitive traps which manifest as racism and instead just hate the culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

While serving as the Chairman of the Songun Politics Study Group USA, recognized by Pyongyang as their primary U.S. support group, and several other political front groups created in North Korea but portrayed as homegrown U.S. mass political movements, Cupp’s political platform included anti-Semitic laced rhetoric (“hey anyone, actually killing Jews is to be supported in so far as they are killing  Jews”) to racism (“I fully invite every member of an Islamic or Third World country that US imperialism wants to bomb to join us in a cross burning and Jena-rope-the-goat/President event to show how much we love scabs and tools of the Jews and imperialist finance capital”) to support for “Aryan hero Lee Harvey Oswald” and the Oklahoma City bomber, Timothy McVeigh.

In a post on a white supremacy website titled “A Call for White Resistance” Cupp wrote “One of the things that was brought to my attention while I was visiting North Korea is that during the course of the anti-Japanese struggle the masses began scattered and wanting, then non-violently resisting, and then resisting with ‘terrorism’ and what we call ‘lone wolf actions’ today,” he wrote.

“When looking at our White European-American nation, one finds a people who have not lost their desire to fight the enemy oppressor and who are willing to take matters into their own hands.”

Cupp cited a list of American “Lone Wolves” to be emulated which included the far-right White Supremacist who committed the most deadly domestic terrorist act in U.S. history when he blew up the federal building in Oklahoma City, a White Supremacist group who stockpiled weapons and explosives then went on a murderous campaign of assassination against blacks, and the assassins of Presidents Kennedy, Lincoln and McKinley as well as Martin Luther King.

But that didn’t stop the North Korean government from appointing him the head of the officially sanctioned political organization of U.S. citizens supporting the government of North Korea. Nor did it inhibit Pyongyang prominently depicting the then 22 year old American in state media dozens of time in the following years as a “prominent U.S. Public Figure” and inviting him on official government sponsored visits to the DPRK.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
anyways i totally bought a cheap copy of j.s. stalin's on the opposition today. but i bought two anti-stalinist works by trotsky to balance it out so suck my nuts.

the stalin book is pretty wild though it's a small, blank red hardback printed years ago in china via the kremlin's official translation publishing house. there's a really nice used bookstore in my town that has tons of obscure poo poo like that.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7n7l8L3Bx0

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

DPRK may have started out as being influenced by Marxism given that it was a client state created by the USSR in an imperial struggle between two major powers but it really is and always has been just a lovely generic dictatorship with a bunch of ideological window dressing same as all the authoritarian dictatorships that were created and/or propped up by America

the only valuable lesson the DPRK has to teach is that the Left is not immune to being bamboozled by realpolitik bullshit

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

seems pretty obvious they weren't paying attention, otherwise there isn't much reason why they would suddenly ask him to stop posting non-dprk content in 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
so this will make a handy companion for kotkin's stalin bio which i'm still slogging through.

this is what you see when you open it:

like a bible, it has a thin, scritta-like paper.

not bad for :10bux:.

one of the brutalist mccats seemed more interested in the trotsky books denouncing stalin, though, which i think might be because he's attracted to the smell but i could have an incipient trotskat on my hands ... making plots. a purrmenent revolution haha ohh man.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 8, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

keep this up and it’s mewlag fur you

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

yeah i have that same publishing house's selected works of mao. want to get more but they're hard to find here since, y'know, those books were meant for non-china countries

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
that's cool. i'll have to track down a copy. interestingly this same bookstore had an english language copy of a military theory book by one of the ten marshals (i think) but i can't remember which one, and i didn't see it today. i'm afraid that i snoozed and some sneaky, local maoist snatched it.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

a purrmenent revolution haha ohh man.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
saw death of stalin. it was good. really liked zhukov, a good honest guy he was.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it was at one of those fancy upper-crust theaters too and man those commercials beforehand were wild. there was a car commercial for a luxury brand i had never even heard of. which makes me think that i can't afford it.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it was at one of those fancy upper-crust theaters too and man those commercials beforehand were wild. there was a car commercial for a luxury brand i had never even heard of. which makes me think that i can't afford it.

it's always a trip when you find one of those. usually arthouses have to appeal to the low-born cinema snobs to stay open, but sometimes a theater can last on yacht owners' largesse

what was the brand?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

probably Genesis, its new and most other luxury brands have been around long enough that most people know them

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I wouldn't trust a car, luxury or otherwise, from a brand I didn't know

Smacks of a start up that doesn't actually know how to build cars

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's hyundai's spinoff

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Wheeee posted:

probably Genesis, its new and most other luxury brands have been around long enough that most people know them
yeah that was it

other commercials:

+ expensive cruise

+ a realtor selling million+ dollar homes

+ etrade. this commercial was particularly gruesome. showing some ultra-decadent party then smash cut to a guy at his computer and the words "okay, that was a bit much..." but it can be yours ... with etrade.

if you can't tell i don't get out much

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 9, 2018

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

it's hyundai's spinoff

yeah i'd thought it was weird the genesis had its own marque but didn't care enough to research it. new brands baby

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I’m wearing all my favorite brands brands brands brands

-taio cruz

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

not really missing much of the stuff from home i thought i would, but i do miss my favorite movie house. right in the middle of the richest part of town but the audience was a pretty decent mix of rich fucks and enthusiast hoi polloi

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

not really missing much of the stuff from home i thought i would, but i do miss my favorite movie house. right in the middle of the richest part of town but the audience was a pretty decent mix of rich fucks and enthusiast hoi polloi

i spent a year in nigeria and i missed lots of types of food really badly but the colectivo-based transportation made up for it

most first-run movies were on the street as bootlegs within a few days. there was one theater in town though; i took a bunch of local people to django

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I ate in a Nordstrom's yesterday, at a restaurant inside of a clothing store.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/eedrk/status/983274961899929601

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/libcomorg/status/982682905225854976

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NoahHurowitz/status/983444742745751563

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

cool

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

quote:

Displaying typical thoughtfulness, Simon refers to the “Spanish struggle against fascism and the misuse of capitalism as a bulwark to totalitarianism” as the “preeminent political narrative of the 20th century and of our time.”

lol

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

babby steps

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5XRZAWk8Jc

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Haitian Revolution was a struggle against the misuse of slavery.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I'll still watch it even if it's not perfect embodiment of maoist thought

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
pretty interesting critiques of the wire here

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

yeah sure man i'lll read redkahinas twitter thoughts on this tv show from 10 years ago

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
good

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i wonder what redkahina talks like. does she actually speak that weirdass wordsalad

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Wasn't she the one who interrupted that Zizek speech?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

The Kingfish posted:

Wasn't she the one who interrupted that Zizek speech?

yes and dressed like a wizard or some poo poo

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tt8zpTwFSk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i wonder what redkahina talks like. does she actually speak that weirdass wordsalad

so yeah. she sounds how you'd expect, but not how you'd hope.