Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OddObserver posted:

Uhm, Libya is a paradise compared to Syria.
All the people who are dead now in Syria are not coming back just because the war gets dragged out for another five years by warhawks whose vanity and colonial mindset will not let them allow a civil war that is very close to ending finish except on their terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, lies aside, it doesn't really strike me as odd when conservatives are all "liberal hell hole!" because its not like I want to move to Alabama or anything.

One of my Breitbart reading coworkers was explaining the "Freedom Index". It's basically a ranking of the best places to live in the US if you love "freedom", or, if you are an "rear end in a top hat".

According to the Freedom Index, the best places to live are...

*shuffles papers*

New Hampshire, Oklahoma, and Indiana.

Well OK. I'm going to...I'm going to just live in hell. Yeah, I'll just stay in liberal hell, we have no freedoms, stay away conservatives. You can have Indiana.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

RandomBlue posted:

What could possibly have lead to such drastic budget shortfalls? :iiam:

Obama! :argh:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

paternity suitor posted:

One of my Breitbart reading coworkers was explaining the "Freedom Index". It's basically a ranking of the best places to live in the US if you love "freedom", or, if you are an "rear end in a top hat".

*shuffles papers*

Well OK. I'm going to...I'm going to just live in hell. Yeah, I'll just stay in liberal hell, we have no freedoms, stay away conservatives. You can have Indiana.

Of course New Hampshire is free because the alternative is literally death.

Occasionally some politician will propose a bill that's less free, but NOOOO the voters know that's just a murder trick.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
New Hampshire is also free of any revenue to update their lovely, lovely infrastructure because they're scared to death of taxing their residents.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

paternity suitor posted:

*shuffles papers*

Oklahoma where it was just revealed that education funding was last in the union.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vladimir Putin posted:

Oklahoma where it was just revealed that education funding was last in the union.

That’s going to move them up on the index.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ague Proof posted:

Baked Alaska on Roy Moore:

Are you sure that was him talking about Moore or just himself?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ularg posted:

I'd be terrified to imagine what kind of force would come after to fill in a power vacuum like that. I would be careful with even a decent President, but Trump?

Do you have to pay taxes on bitcoin you own or trade or just when you cash them for real money?

The IRS classified them as a financial instrument rather than currency so there's no direct ownership tax but every time you sold them for a profit is a taxable event.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

Of course New Hampshire is free because the alternative is literally death.

Occasionally some politician will propose a bill that's less free, but NOOOO the voters know that's just a murder trick.

:q:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Katt posted:

No but you see punching nazis just proves them right. We need to debate with them and convince them of the error of their ways. Only then can we defeat nazism.

We used to have no nazis. Then we started punching them and now we have nazis.

We've always had Nazis, lots of them in fact. It's just that they're more brazen to come out now because we have a president that is one openly. Punching them or not wouldn't effect how many Nazis exist.
You'd also have a better chance convincing Trump his trade war stuff is bullshit than convince Nazis they're wrong. They call themselves Nazis for gently caress's sake, the dedicated evil of evils and are also dedicated MAGA chuds. The only way you'll convince them of anything is with a bullet. So we all have to push back against them in whatever way we can short of murder and pack them back into their little box

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vladimir Putin posted:

Free of those pesky facts hat contradict what you want to believe

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

SocketWrench posted:

We've always had Nazis, lots of them in fact. It's just that they're more brazen to come out now because we have a president that is one openly. Punching them or not wouldn't effect how many Nazis exist.
You'd also have a better chance convincing Trump his trade war stuff is bullshit than convince Nazis they're wrong. They call themselves Nazis for gently caress's sake, the dedicated evil of evils and are also dedicated MAGA chuds. The only way you'll convince them of anything is with a bullet. So we all have to push back against them in whatever way we can short of murder and pack them back into their little box

I think what Katt was suggesting (mockingly) here is, "there's not really a problem if we don't talk about it, right guys?" mentality.

e- I mean, you're right but I'm just sayin'

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 9, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's slightly dated now, but I finally got around to listening to the Opening Arguments podcast on Stormy Daniels and it's still a definite pro-click. The NDA or settlement is pretty much invalid on multiple levels.

Vladimir Putin posted:

HA, Freedom lovers homeschool and you can't put a price on that.

Checkmate, LIEberals.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 9, 2018

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

KickerOfMice posted:

I think what Katt was suggesting (mockingly) here is, "there's not really a problem if we don't talk about it, right guys?" mentality.

Ah, my bad then

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ularg posted:

I'd be terrified to imagine what kind of force would come after to fill in a power vacuum like that. I would be careful with even a decent President, but Trump?

Do you have to pay taxes on bitcoin you own or trade or just when you cash them for real money?

Not a tax lawyer but I belive the IRS has declared Bitcoins and similar as commodities and not a currency which means you owe Uncle Sam on every transaction and if you held them longer than a year they're subject to Capital Gains.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

That seems unlikely given the way things are going right now. Reagan won 49 states for his second term and "ended the Cold War." Trump has record low approval and has spent the last few years attacking drat near every institution and narrative writer including many on the right. Breitbart is dying. Fox News is losing ratings. Who is going to write the glowing history of Trump?

You're probably right, but it's worth pointing out that at this stage of his first term Reagan was showing job approval ratings of around 40%.

http://news.gallup.com/poll/11887/ronald-reagan-from-peoples-perspective-gallup-poll-review.aspx

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ularg posted:

Ask your accountant questions like this, not internet randos.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is Trump still president?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, lies aside, it doesn't really strike me as odd when conservatives are all "liberal hell hole!" because its not like I want to move to Alabama or anything.

I mean... Alabama is a rural wasteland. People move there because they want to farm or fish the gulf. You can live in Alabama without ever leaving California, just move north.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Verranicus posted:

Is Trump still president?

There is no rule saying brain mold can't be president

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Its spencer and co's free speech that has lead them to their demise not the punching and the antifa censorship. Every time they open their mouth they destroy themselves.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

withak posted:

Ask your accountant questions like this, not internet randos.

I don't have an accountant, nor bitcoins. I was just curious.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think it was Oklahoma (or maybe Kansas, or both) where budget cuts have forced state offices to only be open 4 days a week, and maybe also schools too

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think it was Oklahoma (or maybe Kansas, or both) where budget cuts have forced state offices to only be open 4 days a week, and maybe also schools too

Exactly! The people can use the extra day off for FREEDOM!

EDIT: More accurately, you can't get idiots to agree that these things (failing public schools, crumbling government institutions) are bad because they axiomatically see those things as good. They feel no sense of shame when they see that; they see a plan working as designed.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The cracks in the walls are signs of good ole American freedom and not fracking destroying the foundation

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Chilichimp posted:

I mean... Alabama is a rural wasteland. People move there because they want to farm or fish the gulf. You can live in Alabama without ever leaving California, just move north.
Some of us are just born there and can never get the funds or the gumption to just up and move.

Fishing the gulf is nice though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

spite house posted:

I was part of a documentary crew that went to Cleveland for the RNC and surprised myself by falling a little in love with it. I imagine it was on its best behavior so it wouldn't scare the Republicans, but I thought it was real pretty in a beat-up kind of way, and the locals were so nice and really wanted us to like Cleveland, and we met some truly ferocious activists who know the deal. I started half-seriously pricing real estate on Zillow, because the upper Midwest is where you want to be when climate change kicks in for real, until it occurred to me that I was there for one of maybe three weeks of nice weather out of the whole year. Oh well. Anyway Cleveland is like :unsmith: in city form.

Also LA fuckin rules and I'm never leaving unless it's to move to the DF, one of two cities on the planet that beat us as far as being gigantic, apocalyptic and seismically active and I don't think I could hack Tokyo.

The whole rust belt is like that. I'm from Buffalo and you could walk up to any rando on the street and they will literally plan your entire week for you just to make sure you see what they love about our broken little city. Same with Detroit, Chicago, etc. (But Buffalo is still the best).

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ularg posted:

Again not an expert but I believe the consensus is a whole lot of people owe a whole lot of taxes that they have not budgeted for/already spent the profits, and things could get interesting in the Chinese Proverb sense of the word if the IRS starts going after these people heavily.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

KillHour posted:

The whole rust belt is like that. I'm from Buffalo and you could walk up to any rando on the street and they will literally plan your entire week for you just to make sure you see what they love about our broken little city. Same with Detroit, Chicago, etc. (But Buffalo is still the best).
On multiple occasions in Chicago, locals would stop me and ask me if I need help finding my way. I didn't ask for help, I just looked lost and people wanted to help me. Once I found my way around I started doing the same thing for others.

Once I moved to DC and helped out the tourists, they'd always say some variation of "Say, you're not from here, are you?" East Coast folks don't generally do that kind of thing, I guess.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Jesus III posted:

I think you mean Houston. Dallas has a whole bunch of suburbs and isn't all that big in land area (for a massively sprawled out city). Houston has way fewer suburbs and I always joke that the trip to Houston is 3 hours of driving to Houston and then 2 hours driving through it.

Yea dallas is a poster child for the whole “we’ll just form our own town with our own schools so our children don’t have to go to school with those kids”

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I want to become Trump.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I cant do Los Angeles. Driving everywhere sucks and taking the bus there is a joke. I am from the west coast and after spending a few years in Europe I can't imagine living anywhere that doesn't have a decent subway.

New York City is great.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Reuters - Exclusive: As elections near, many older, educated, white voters shift away from Trump's party

quote:

The 12-point swing is one of the largest shifts in support toward Democrats that the Reuters/Ipsos poll has measured over the past two years. If that trend continues, Republicans will struggle to keep control of the House of Representatives, and possibly the Senate, in the November elections, potentially dooming President Donald Trump’s legislative agenda.

The potential impact of any swing to Democrats is magnified given that older, educated adults are reliable voters. They also make up a sizeable portion of the voting population in many districts where elections are close.

How they vote could decide elections in as many as 26 competitive congressional districts where Democrats have a shot at winning a seat. A Reuters analysis of U.S. Census data shows highly educated older voters make up about 5-10 percent of the population in those areas. Democrats need to pick up 24 seats to win control of the House of Representatives.

More broadly, older white Americans, regardless of their level of education, are still more likely to vote for Republicans than Democrats, but the Republican advantage with this group has been trimmed by about 5 percentage points when comparing the first quarter of 2018 with the first quarter of 2016.

I mean I know it's based on polling, but Reuters usually doesn't gently caress around, right? This is what I was talking about a bit ago, these aren't the chuddy base, these are the people who wanted to "shake things up."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

KickerOfMice posted:

Reuters - Exclusive: As elections near, many older, educated, white voters shift away from Trump's party

I mean I know it's based on polling, but Reuters usually doesn't gently caress around, right? This is what I was talking about a bit ago, these aren't the chuddy base, these are the people who wanted to "shake things up."
Now imagine if the Dems had a Jeremy Corbyn type to fire up the base or at least a coherent message...

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea dallas is a poster child for the whole “we’ll just form our own town with our own schools so our children don’t have to go to school with those kids”

Accelerated Christian Education literally got its start in a Northern Dallas suburb. (For those who don't know A.C.E. was the pioneer for white supremacists running home/private schools- they literally paved the way for what has become the modern ideal of "conservative" education.)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

Again not an expert but I believe the consensus is a whole lot of people owe a whole lot of taxes that they have not budgeted for/already spent the profits, and things could get interesting in the Chinese Proverb sense of the word if the IRS starts going after these people heavily.

Posts are starting to pop up on reddit financial and legal advice forums asking how to deal with the $40k tax bills people weren’t expecting lmao

One guy got nailed for trading $300k+ of one coin for a set of another that dropped to $20k

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ularg posted:

I believe they recently began treating bitcoin like currency trading, so every transaction is now taxed.

World Famous W posted:

Some of us are just born there and can never get the funds or the gumption to just up and move.

Fishing the gulf is nice though.

Hell, same, except Georgia.

I don't fish the sea, though, so you've got one on me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

There aren't a lot of 'investers' who churn their 'portfolios' the way Coiners do. Like if I sell stock at a high profit, it's likely I've held on to that for awhile and won't pay as much in taxes. Or if I'm selling employer granted shares, taxes are likely to be withheld at the time of execution.

These guys are essentially day traders and house flippers, but with absolutely no knowledge of anything they're doing and it's glorious to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Prester Jane posted:

Accelerated Christian Education literally got its start in a Northern Dallas suburb. (For those who don't know A.C.E. was the pioneer for white supremacists running home/private schools- they literally paved the way for what has become the modern ideal of "conservative" education.)

Its also resulting in a lot of Christian kids failing to get into college because ACE really skimps on the Science and Math.

• Locked thread