Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

President Beep posted:

A stock photo service with submission standards??? This is some truly groundbreaking poo poo!

And he is set on strict rules, because everything creative needs a defined box based on the best of the best skill from an iPhone photographer. :bravo:

quote:

There will be strict rules in some areas but certain rules will be laidback. Photos from phones will be allowed under some conditions. The most important part regarding equipment will be that the photographers be competent in their tools. For example, a photo from a crop frame DSLR that is near perfect will be accepted. A cliché photo from full frame may be rejected. Photos must be captured and edited ethically and within reason. No baiting wildlife and no putting elements from completely different photos into one (known as compositing). Only the best of the best from photographers will be accepted.

I bait my cat with treats, my photography is not up to his standard. Lions on the other hand...

ianskate fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I mean, yeah, it’s always obvious when an animal has been baited. I think it shows up in the metadata or something...

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Im baiting right now

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Hmmmmm, I'm actually looking into opening my own gallery right now and this has now put the seed of doubt into my mind that I'm as deluded as this guy.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

InternetJunky posted:

Hmmmmm, I'm actually looking into opening my own gallery right now and this has now put the seed of doubt into my mind that I'm as deluded as this guy.

You been batin’ baitin’ them owls?

:toughguy:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

President Beep posted:

You been batin’ baitin’ them owls?

:toughguy:

Go away, baitin!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
To be fair, many wildlife photography competitions have rules around baiting or captive animals that are largely reliant on good faith by entrants. For every story like this, countless probably go undetected.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
God, I love that Chris Mohindroo guy. He is outsider art.

Seriously though somebody should tell him about Stephen Shore. I bet it would change his life.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guarantee he'd poo poo all over Shore because who wants to see pictures of gas stations? That's not art!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Theres nothing quite like framing body parts at the edge of a frame in a wide angle shot so it looks like they have hulk hands.

that's not the lens. that's just what she-huck looks like

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
Shore did at least one landscape that I bet would be right up Chris' alley, though. Plus, there's zero chance he'd fall into the HDR hole because he hates oversaturation!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

Glad he has two phones. One for each hand/ear.

Buy low! Sell high!

Most likely one secure phone for classified discussion, and one phone for unclassified discussion.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

girl pants posted:

Plus, there's zero chance he'd fall into the HDR hole because he hates oversaturation!

Maybe if he works hard he will become the prophet of the LDR movement.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

Most likely one secure phone for classified discussion, and one phone for unclassified discussion.

I like my scenario better because it allows me to make cheap jokes about him.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

I like my scenario better because it allows me to make cheap jokes about him.
How about this:

akadajet posted:

Maybe one day he'll be able to remember which is which!

Actually most senility is progressive and irreversible :corsair:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Uptime Sinclair posted:

How about this:

Maybe one day he'll be able to remember which is which!

Actually most senility is progressive and irreversible :corsair:

waka waka!

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Randomly clicked on this ... he's at it again! This time he wants to start his own gallery!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/86bq32/i_am_interested_in_starting_a_gallery_for/

Holy poo poo, he lives down the street from me...

And after reading his newest post, this seems almost like one of those Onion contributor articles from Smoove B. He just needs to throw in the phrase "Girl, I will sting you." a few times and it will be perfect.

https://www.theonion.com/let-us-freak-1819583397

squidflakes fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 5, 2018

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

squidflakes posted:

And after reading his newest post, this seems almost like one of those Onion contributor articles from Smoove B. He just needs to throw in the phrase "Girl, I will sting you." a few times and it will be perfect.

Just look for the guy on his way to returning some video tapes.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

squidflakes posted:

Wait is this the guy who was planning a large format camera to take a snapshot of a structure on his college campus? The writing and planning seems the same

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Very much so.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Yes. He's never seen actual architecture, so he thinks that some faux-classical brick and concrete column is going to be a good subject for 72" metal prints that sell for thousands of dollars each.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Helen Highwater posted:

Yes. He's never seen actual architecture, so he thinks that some faux-classical brick and concrete column is going to be a good subject for 72" metal prints that sell for thousands of dollars each.

You've ruined my dreams to become wealthy now! Ruined!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Helen Highwater posted:

Yes. He's never seen actual architecture, so he thinks that some faux-classical brick and concrete column in a parking lot is going to be a good subject for 72" metal prints that sell for thousands of dollars each.

A decent picture of an iconic campus building can do a modest but healthy business in cheap posters and space-filler for diploma frames, but...

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
This is the tower in question (also his photo).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

This is the tower in question (also his photo).

:geno:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's an ugly tower in an ugly location, but even with that in mind he picked the worst possible angle and time of day to shoot it.

Surely large format would fix those issues.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The larger the format the better the photo - I don’t see the issue here. I’m surprised he is going to allow cell phone shots in his exclusive future gallery.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
I'm just surprised that he keeps gushing about Velvia (and Fuji slide film in general) when he has such an extreme allergy to saturation.
He has seen Velvia, right? Even if he hasn't, he has to know what it's famous for.

( Who am I kidding? He just heard the world Velvia spoken with enthusiasm somewhere, and that's good enough for him. )

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

It's an ugly tower in an ugly location, but even with that in mind he picked the worst possible angle and time of day to shoot it.

Surely large format would fix those issues.

I dunno those lit lamp posts are really adding to the atmos.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

girl pants posted:

God, I love that Chris Mohindroo guy. He is outsider art.

Seriously though somebody should tell him about Stephen Shore. I bet it would change his life.

"How come this Sugimoto guy can't loving focus his camera correctly!"

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

change my name posted:

"How come this Sugimoto guy can't loving focus his camera correctly!"

"Eggleston is crap. Too saturated."
"Moriyama needs to buy a camera with better high-ISO. It's so pixelated."

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 15, 2018

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
This guy reminded me a bit of that cpu5555 guy so i felt this belonged here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/8ctx3h/torn_between_a7iii_and_a7riii/

"Uses: Macro lips, teeth"

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Ineptitude posted:

This guy reminded me a bit of that cpu5555 guy so i felt this belonged here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/8ctx3h/torn_between_a7iii_and_a7riii/

"Uses: Macro lips, teeth"
macro lips
macro gums
look out ansel
here she comes

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

That’s an oddly specific use.

Me? I specialize in forced perspective shots where it looks like I’m pinching a tiny person’s head but they’re actually normal sized. Which camera should I get? I have a $5,000 budget.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

nmfree posted:

here she comes

Noone in /r/photography has any experience with this

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

President Beep posted:

That’s an oddly specific use.

Me? I specialize in forced perspective shots where it looks like I’m pinching a tiny person’s head but they’re actually normal sized. Which camera should I get? I have a $5,000 budget.

On that budget? Nothing. For that kind of photography you need medium format, minimim.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

torgeaux posted:

On that budget? Nothing. For that kind of photography you need medium format, minimim.

Minimum...more like large format film because people will look smaller on a large format.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

rio posted:

Minimum...more like large format film because people will look smaller on a large format.

I think we need a new format .. mega format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Slow down, guys. I'm taking notes here.