Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
i don't care how oversized your wings are, no drone's gonna be flapping around in the air at 600 pascals of atmospheric pressure

that's about the same pressure you'd have at 100,000 feet above earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I ain't no scientician don't yell at me

buteruc
Feb 12, 2009

NOT THE BEEEES

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9L0pord5jE

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Shear Modulus posted:

werent they usually sexy alien ladies

space_honey_schnorkles.jpg

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Duscat posted:

i don't care how oversized your wings are, no drone's gonna be flapping around in the air at 600 pascals of atmospheric pressure

dont tell me how sick a beat a robot can't drop :colbert:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

pretty lovely to invest in all those solar farms when the sun isnt shining

i mean assuming they have nice days all of that probably looks fine

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Duscat posted:

see, but if we make the wings long enough they'll droop down on either side of the mecha-bee and it'll use them to hope around on the ground

robo evolution before our very eyes

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/982710405821878274

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The sleep apnea thread in GBS is full of people who can't sleep and have ended up looking like this:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

thats how i log into cspam

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

dont tell me how sick a beat a robot can't drop :colbert:

:agreed:

glad she is dead posted:

The sleep apnea thread in GBS is full of people who can't sleep and have ended up looking like this:

don't post ya pics on the innanet

stay safe friends :unsmith:

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
cant wait til black mirror robot bees happen and we start crowdsourcing

bee-sassinations

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Is this real

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Alpha Mayo posted:

Is this real

it absofuckingloutely is.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
those sleep apnea photos are people wearing a thing that monitors their breathing and EEG during the night

they're uncomfortable as hell but they're no more part of a lovely cyberpunk dystopia than an MRI machine is

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
furthermore,

quote:

Dozens of news anchors robotically intoned “This is extremely dangerous to our democracy,” after reciting what turned out to be a script by Sinclair Broadcast Group, owner and operator of 193 local TV stations. Dan Rather called it Orwellian, and many have asked in amazement: why would local journalists across the nation allow themselves to be used in such a demeaning way?

The answer is clear to me, as a lawyer with decades handling cases involving low-wage workers: people need jobs. But the anchors may have an even more specific concern: an employment contract that doesn’t just bind but entraps them. Among other things, Sinclair contracts contain a requirement that employees must pay their employers if they leave their jobs before their contract terms end. For example, an employee making $50,000 annually might have to pay in the ballpark of $10,000 if she wanted to leave after one year of a two-year term.

While it’s plainly illegal to impose a penalty on employees for leaving a job, the contract describes this requirement as “liquidated damages”. But such damages are allowed only in very limited situations, such as when an employee leaves a job shortly after receiving, at the employer’s expense, costly, specific, and transportable training. This is hardly the situation for Sinclair employees.

The Sinclair contracts also contain a non-compete clause, barring employees from working for competitors for a set time period after separation. Non-competes have come under considerable public scrutiny of late, covering around 20% of workers, according to a recent report.

Some states already limit non-competes: they’re unenforceable in California; banned for low-wage workers in Illinois, and prohibited for broadcast employees in New York and, as of last week, in Utah. Many other states have active legislative proposals.

And even where there is no statute, state case law typically allows non-competes only to protect the employer’s legitimate business interests (like trade secrets), and requires them to be reasonable regarding time period and geographic scope. Preventing a journalist from working for BuzzFeed or Facebook anywhere in the world seems, well, not very geographically limited.

Sinclair is not alone in using contracts to reduce workers’ rights. More than half of private sector non-union employees can’t bring cases in court because they are subject to forced arbitration, sometimes even as a requirement of applying for a job. The furniture chain Raymour and Flanigan contractually slashes the time for bringing discrimination claims in half, with mixed results in court. One New York tutoring company had contract provisions requiring employees to waive their right to apply to unemployment benefits, and to indemnify the company if they applied and lost.

Given the importance of an independent press, the Sinclair example may be particularly sinister. But the use of employment contracts to trap and exploit workers is a growing trend, including for low-wage workers, who may “sign” the contracts rapid-fire among a pile of papers in the HR office or among a string of touch-screens, and who often don’t receive copies of their own contracts. Worst of all, they have no real ability to consult with lawyers or understand what they’re giving up; and they have no choice but to sign if they want the job.

Companies that try to limit their liability by hoodwinking their employees into signing abusive employment contracts are taking advantage of the extreme power imbalance between an employer and a working person. People need to put food on the table and a roof over their heads. Abusing that fact to keep people tethered, and to steal away basic rights, is reprehensible. And as the disturbing Sinclair videos demonstrate, disempowerment of workers has an effect that pervades things we value in society – among them the free flow of information and journalistic integrity.

What would help this sad situation? Ideally, federal legislation would outlaw some of these practices, including use of forced arbitration for workers. More realistically, states can take the lead, for example, by banning or limiting non-competes; prohibiting shortened statutes of limitations for key workplace laws; and requiring pre-hire disclosure of key employment terms in simple, accessible language, with adequate opportunity for workers to understand what they’re signing.
State enforcement agencies can pursue violations of the laws that already exist, like the prohibition on penalties for leaving a job, and private attorneys can file lawsuits to challenge abusive contracts. High road employers – who realize that workers are their team and a key component of their success – can treat their workers fairly in their contracts, as well.

Above all, workers and their allies can take the lead in joining together to unearth and combat these abusive practices. Teachers from West Virginia, Kentucky, and Oklahoma are rising up, seeking better conditions for themselves and their students. Workers at media companies have been electrified, too, organizing new unions in recent years.

The Sinclair anchors spoke in unison delivering the company’s message. Maybe one day soon, they can take back the power and again speak in unison, this time delivering their own.

you can tell the article was written in the UK because the last sentence doesn't have a rimshot or laugh track

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

i fukken love when people try to own a TV channel by paying to run a negative commercial on that same channel

it never works

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
The worst thing about this dystopia is how in-your-face the propaganda is. Now they are almost literally saying "if you think we are biased, it's because you are a stupid as poo poo liberal"

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Alpha Mayo posted:

The worst thing about this dystopia is how in-your-face the propaganda is. Now they are almost literally saying "if you think we are biased, it's because you are a stupid as poo poo non-liberal"

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

wow. same thing both sides. makes u think

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

those sleep apnea photos are people wearing a thing that monitors their breathing and EEG during the night

they're uncomfortable as hell but they're no more part of a lovely cyberpunk dystopia than an MRI machine is

its no more weirder than an Iron Lung yeah, those things are no more than charming antiquities at this point

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

you only wear that stuff to see if you have apnea, if you do then you sleep with a little headband and mask like if you were on oxygen

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
That or drop some weight instead of deciding to go to sleep like your Bane every night.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

much like the beetus, sleep apnea can be caused or exacerbated by obesity, but it's not a requirement to develop the condition

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Alpha Mayo posted:

That or drop some weight instead of deciding to go to sleep like your Bane every night.

sleep apnea is often caused by a big ole tongue

the price of good cunnilingus: boyfriend snores

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
We are very sorry for the family's loss.

According to the family, Mr. Huang was well aware that Autopilot was not perfect and, specifically, he told them it was not reliable in that exact location, yet he nonetheless engaged Autopilot at that location. The crash happened on a clear day with several hundred feet of visibility ahead, which means that the only way for this accident to have occurred is if Mr. Huang was not paying attention to the road, despite the car providing multiple warnings to do so.

The fundamental premise of both moral and legal liability is a broken promise, and there was none here. Tesla is extremely clear that Autopilot requires the driver to be alert and have hands on the wheel. This reminder is made every single time Autopilot is engaged. If the system detects that hands are not on, it provides visual and auditory alerts. This happened several times on Mr. Huang's drive that day.

We empathize with Mr. Huang's family, who are understandably facing loss and grief, but the false impression that Autopilot is unsafe will cause harm to others on the road. NHTSA found that even the early version of Tesla Autopilot resulted in 40% fewer crashes and it has improved substantially since then. The reason that other families are not on TV is because their loved ones are still alive.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

The reason that other families are not on TV is because their loved ones are still alive.

very sick burn outta nowhere

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol elon definitely wrote that himself

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that’s just loving cruel, holy hell

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

pr guy: elon maybe we shouldnt insanely insult the family of the person we killed

elon: shut up im a genius

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
lol what a fuckhead.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
its ok guys nuclear fire is coming soon

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

honestly having to be alert enough to take over the wheel at any moment but not having to be alert enough to be constantly driving sounds incredibly draining

its like taking twelve calls a day vs 40 back-to-backs- the latter sucks but the tension/boredom swing of the former is worse

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

im the guy who says the thing we call "autopilot" does not claim to fully drive the car

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

very sick burn outta nowhere

Savage

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Who wouldn't love a feature that will murder them at random if they don't pay attention 100% of the time.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
You mean like an automobile?

Cars have always been death on wheels. People are just desperate to dunk on this poo poo because it threatens their lovely driving-related jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
libertarians are such pieces of poo poo