Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The maps haptic feedback is insane. I think I have it on the middle strength setting and I get why Maps has distinct alerts but it feels a bit over the top for when I'm just walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Anyone know a watch app/complication that would easily let me note a time when something happens? So when I do a thing at 3:15pm I can tap it or whatever and then two hours later when I forget the exact time I tapped I can just see the last tapped time or something. I don’t need to annotate or anything just note the time.

I guess stopwatch works

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 6, 2018

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I can’t override having the stopwatch come up on wake when running. I turned off going to apps on wake but it still does it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I used Apple Pay on my watch at a gas pump this morning. I use Apple Pay on my phone all the time, but the watch somehow makes it magical. :allears:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Woohoo squeaky wheel. My stock dark olive band was coming loose from a factory defect so I went to Apple. After they ordered the wrong replacement band they just told me to grab one I wanted off the shelf.

The new black sport loop looks so good with all the tiny colors woven into it that pop when you go outside. I’m very happy with it.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
anyone use a charging dock? I am kind of annoyed at the default charger because it rolls around. That and I have forgotten my watch at home a couple times so I am thinking about getting a dock where I can leave it to charge at night. Do you guys have any recommendations for a nice looking, reliable dock that I can leave on my desk? This is for S3, if it matters.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

nervana posted:

anyone use a charging dock? I am kind of annoyed at the default charger because it rolls around. That and I have forgotten my watch at home a couple times so I am thinking about getting a dock where I can leave it to charge at night. Do you guys have any recommendations for a nice looking, reliable dock that I can leave on my desk? This is for S3, if it matters.

I recently got this stand. Seems to work fine. Just popped in the charger and it put it on my night stand.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I recently got this stand. Seems to work fine. Just popped in the charger and it put it on my night stand.

I was actually just looking at that. I originally thought of a dock that made the watch "hover" in a stand, but now I am thinking something like what you posted is a better idea?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nervana posted:

I was actually just looking at that. I originally thought of a dock that made the watch "hover" in a stand, but now I am thinking something like what you posted is a better idea?

I like the hover stand better personally since you can just pop it down. I mean either one works and they are both like under 10.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Seconding this. It's functional, stays put, keeps the watch in place, and makes Night Stand mode work great.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Or what I did because :goonsay:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

buglord posted:

Or what I did because :goonsay:

I love that so much

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is that the elago one, or one of the 3d printed versions floating around? How well does it hold place?

I went for the orzly one without looking into it and hate it, the ad copy says it has a grippy base to keep it from sliding but it turns out you actually have to use an adhesive to anchor it and gently caress off with putting stickers on my nightstand.

Something with a rubberized base with some dead weight in the bottom should be plenty to keep the thing from jostling too bad, but I guess that's not going to be a thing in the sub-$20 market.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yeah this is what I use as well. Works great, but once you stick it down with the sticky pad, hope you don't have to move it. It sticks so well that it tears the pad in half when you try to pry it up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Also, are there any third-party chargers, or should I just drop the cash on an Apple one?

And I guess, are there any good charging solutions for in the car? Or just plop it on the charger and toss it in my center console?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I use a Belkin Powerhouse to charge the watch and phone. It has a nice weighted base and I’m happy with everything about it but the price ($80).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Also, are there any third-party chargers, or should I just drop the cash on an Apple one?

And I guess, are there any good charging solutions for in the car? Or just plop it on the charger and toss it in my center console?
There’s officially licensed (ie MFi) ones but I think they’re all pricey like that Belkin one mentioned above.

As far as car charging, uh I guess get the shortest cable available. I guess for basic plug in cable maybe this thing would work, just looks like a little padded case to wrap the cable around and cover the watch.

There’s also portable charging cases (...which still need an official cable) like this thing, or other portable battery things with integrated charging pucks, looks like they’re MFi and around $40.

If you have a Series 3, they can work with some Qi chargers...but I don’t know what specific spec(s) you need for it to work or if it’s a moving target like if they expanded or contracted compatibility since the original OS that came with it.

Edit: one more suggestion as far as home chargers/stands, there’s a bunch that integrate multiple USB ports too so you can use that as your watch base and charge phone/tablet/etc off of as well, like this one. It’s nice cause you wind the cable up inside, not a huge deal but just one less cable to deal with.

japtor fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 9, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I keep mine on one of these on the nightstand, forget which size it is. It fits perfectly.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

japtor posted:

There’s officially licensed (ie MFi) ones but I think they’re all pricey like that Belkin one mentioned above.

As far as car charging, uh I guess get the shortest cable available. I guess for basic plug in cable maybe this thing would work, just looks like a little padded case to wrap the cable around and cover the watch.

There’s also portable charging cases (...which still need an official cable) like this thing, or other portable battery things with integrated charging pucks, looks like they’re MFi and around $40.

If you have a Series 3, they can work with some Qi chargers...but I don’t know what specific spec(s) you need for it to work or if it’s a moving target like if they expanded or contracted compatibility since the original OS that came with it.

Edit: one more suggestion as far as home chargers/stands, there’s a bunch that integrate multiple USB ports too so you can use that as your watch base and charge phone/tablet/etc off of as well, like this one. It’s nice cause you wind the cable up inside, not a huge deal but just one less cable to deal with.

That first one looks goofy as gently caress, haha. Thanks for the links!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

xzzy posted:

Is that the elago one, or one of the 3d printed versions floating around? How well does it hold place?

Yeah it’s the elago. I wouldn’t say it’s “weighted” but it’s sturdy and full enough to where it doesn’t slip and slide around. Feels pretty quality for :10bux:

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Also use the Spigen stand. Once I got it I was so annoyed I hadn’t spent the stupid 10 bucks sooner and dealt with the charger as is for over a year.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
How do I make my watch not track cycling? I track stuff with Strava, but the watch adds its own tracking in and all my daily distances are doubled.

I tried deselecting it as a data source, but it doesn't uncheck. I just have to go in and manually delete all the data every day. :wtf:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to disable apps from taking over my watch's screen? There is nothing more annoying than not being able to quickly look at the time when I have music playing. Yes I know it's in the top right corner but I'd rather the time just be front and center, all the time, unless I specifically say so.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to disable apps from taking over my watch's screen? There is nothing more annoying than not being able to quickly look at the time when I have music playing. Yes I know it's in the top right corner but I'd rather the time just be front and center, all the time, unless I specifically say so.

Yeah go in to settings on phone or watch under general and wake settings. Turn it off.

Auto launch audio apps off
Set wake screen to only while in session

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 10, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

cowofwar posted:

Yeah go in to settings on phone or watch under general and wake settings. Turn it off.

Auto launch audio apps off
Set wake screen to only while in session

Thanks!

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah this is what I use as well. Works great, but once you stick it down with the sticky pad, hope you don't have to move it. It sticks so well that it tears the pad in half when you try to pry it up.

I use that kind of stand and just stuck it on a blocky paperweight. Keeps it in place despite my cat or flailing morning arm, but its also not permanently attached to my bedside table.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's probably a solid idea. I have a billion hockey pucks. I'm sure one of them would work alright.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Cozmosis posted:

Also use the Spigen stand. Once I got it I was so annoyed I hadn’t spent the stupid 10 bucks sooner and dealt with the charger as is for over a year.

Yes buy this dirt cheap thing, if I had to replace it now I would pay three times as much without question.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Are you guys talking about the taller one or the short one?

I'm digging the short one, it reminds me of the charger from my Moto 360

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

dissss posted:

The short one, I paid like $8 on Amazon for it.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

dissss posted:

I also have the short one. It does the job, though every now and then, it doesn't quite sit right and I don't get a charge. But that's pretty rare.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pro tip: nightstand mode won't enable unless it's connected to power so when you see the face turn green you know you got it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah I've got that too and have never had a problem with it. A+++++ would buy again

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Do alerts and phone calls turn off when I am sleeping? Or am I just sleeping through them? If the former how do I keep them on?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Do you have scheduled do not disturb enabled on your phone?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Do you have scheduled do not disturb enabled on your phone?

I don't think so. I am a deep sleeper but I just can't see myself sleeping through all these calls.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I'm trying to cut way back on the amount of time I stare at my dumb phone, and am wondering if the apple watch my help me in that regard.

I have two basic problems with my phone. One, when it is around me, I spend horribly way to much time browsing these dead gay forums, or other news sites, or stock tickers, or whatever. My second problem is that I am pretty successful at being able to put my phone out of range and not go back and immediately grab it, but when I do this I miss calls/texts/emails that actually need timely responses. This is especially true during work hours where I like to take me phone off my belt and leave it near my desk, but if I walk away from my desk for any reason I always seem to miss a call from a client or employee that needs something asap.

I "think" the apple watch might help, but I'm confused on it's independence and range limit from my iPhone.

At home, I would love to be able to leave my phone in my bedroom and be able to move around my entire house while staying connected, but that would be completely outside Bluetooth range. I have wi-fi obviously, but couldn't make out from the sales webpage if email notifications would come through over wi-fi alone. (I'd rather not get the cellular version for cost reasons). Same goes for work, with regard to extended wandering around my shop. Corollary to that, is if the watch can get all the calls/texts/emails out of Bluetooth range, how much of a delay is there in getting them compared to the phone itself?

If all that above works out, the next question I have is on durability. I work in construction, so from time to time I have to climb around in roof trusses, or lug around heavy metal things. Obviously if I'm going to go elbow deep into some nasty poo poo I can take if off, but I'd rather not have to remember to do that every time I pick up a crate of parts and accidentally bump my wrist against a shelf or something.

Lastly, I'm assuming that If I go for a run with the watch alone, it will sync up exercise data when it gets back in range of the phone?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

SpaceCadetBob posted:

At home, I would love to be able to leave my phone in my bedroom and be able to move around my entire house while staying connected, but that would be completely outside Bluetooth range. I have wi-fi obviously, but couldn't make out from the sales webpage if email notifications would come through over wi-fi alone. (I'd rather not get the cellular version for cost reasons). Same goes for work, with regard to extended wandering around my shop. Corollary to that, is if the watch can get all the calls/texts/emails out of Bluetooth range, how much of a delay is there in getting them compared to the phone itself?
The watch switches to known wifi networks when out of bluetooth range. Delay is negligible.

quote:

If all that above works out, the next question I have is on durability. I work in construction, so from time to time I have to climb around in roof trusses, or lug around heavy metal things. Obviously if I'm going to go elbow deep into some nasty poo poo I can take if off, but I'd rather not have to remember to do that every time I pick up a crate of parts and accidentally bump my wrist against a shelf or something.
Get a stainless, the sapphire screen is near impossible to scratch.

quote:

Lastly, I'm assuming that If I go for a run with the watch alone, it will sync up exercise data when it gets back in range of the phone?
Yup

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Did they mess with nightstand mode? It seems to be way more sensitive since I updated last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

MarcusSA posted:

Did they mess with nightstand mode? It seems to be way more sensitive since I updated last night.

As far as turning on the screen to show the time? Mine's always been super sensitive. Like I cough and it activates.