Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lladre posted:

Ah FFS all my poo poo is in the other end of the galaxy.

You can have poo poo moved to lowsec by a gm now

After that, freight / sale is easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 24, 2014

Virtual Captain posted:

TheBaseRadio exhibited some DOUBT yesterday, saying that they're done buying ships. Just subscribe if you want to support the studios I think was their mantra. This fits with the theory that whales are around 75% of the total spending.

VulcanPre is the sales to Concierge, vs VulcanGen is the sales to the general backers:

Citizens, Chris Roberts has an answer for those of you who are a little tired of buying concept jpegs:
https://twitter.com/_JR_DF_/status/983256797598437377

quote:

The official twitter for all things made by Big___JR. THE place to get info about desks, crates, spaceship availability and our other exciting projects.
:thunk:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Loxbourne posted:

Hey Beet, please advise how we can verify credentials ITT? Is there an application form? Ta.

You will be approached through PMs. Do not make eye contact, and definitely do not contact *them*. The necessary fees and your blood bond will be collected at a later date.

As the queen of France, I'd like to point out that trust is really difficult to manage, and a slippery slope towards arguments of authority rather than substance.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

My credentials are to the left of all my posts.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

My credentials are to the left of all my posts.

I keep my monarchy under my wimple. Nobody 'fess up.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
My credentials are as follows order something that I don't know if you have any questions or concerns please visit the plug-in settings to determine the best regards to the pub and grill

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Holy buttcoins, it's going to be a crappy, rattling small in-game shipping crate replica made of four different kinds of plastic, all in different poorly-fitting pieces

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Potato Salad posted:

Holy buttcoins, it's going to be a crappy, rattling small in-game shipping crate replica made of four different kinds of plastic, all in different poorly-fitting pieces

That would still make it higher quality than the product it's licensing :laffo:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

They're taking "cargo cult" a little too literally.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jason Sextro posted:

They're taking "cargo cult" a little too literally.

:tviv:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Potato Salad posted:

You can have poo poo moved to lowsec by a gm now

After that, freight / sale is easy

That stinks. Selling services to people Sad Balkans to get their stuff out of stations was a good way of making a living. Of course, I had 0% delivery success. Those darn pirates.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

It's a SC branded overhead track security door.

For securing your jpeg hardcopies

As an added bonus, with some extra plywood and some gumption, you can turn this into a functioning space door for your home or office!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
TWITCH: Batgirl experiences The Pirate Life (1:53:20)

It’s April Fools Day (and her birthday apparently) and Batgirl has returned to Olisar with a ship loaded with Cargo. She lands, intending to sell her load of quartz for a modest profit. Pirates (goof balls) board her ship after she lowers the hatch. Her chat demands to “GET OFF MY SHIP!” prove insufficiently intimidating.

Oh well, might as well go sell this Cargo for some coin!

(...but how can you do that when the Cargo flies off because Pirates ignored your demands and stole your ship, Batgirl?)

She gets mad enough to claim another ship to hunt down her stolen one and its cargo. The hunt is on outside the Armistice Zone and she’s ready to lose everything to teach those Pirates a lesson! Thrilling space combat and ”you messed with the wrong space trucker!” tantrum ramming ensues.

The inevitable follows... (2:01:00)

A few days later, the rage having subsided, Batgirl reflects on the experience and other topics, like her amazement that Chris in His Benevolence opened up 3.2’s feature-prioritization to backers and, of course, her continuing bitterness at losing Bensday because Ben is working on “a top secret project” (starring as the lead in a new TLC Series “Hoarders: Videogame Edition” no doubt) and can’t do shows with her anymore. Noobifier and Bored “Blue Sky” Gamer get passing mentions, digressions about Ship Purchasing, the CIG Website, Chris Roberts, etc. follow...

...eventually culminating in the utterance of a Scary Thought. (But don’t worry, Chris — Batgirl will never leave you even if others do. ”This is my Game.”)

In closing we get yet another profession that she’s going to start creating Star Citizen content more often...She’ll be streaming her Star Citizen adventures every Friday night to show her renewed commitment to The Dream. (And Subnautica on Thursday and Elite Dangerous on Sunday so she can also include some gaming on her Twitch channel...)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 9, 2018

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpGS-lT4ZOM

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Well that needs to be an animated gif, stat!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Play Jelly Mario http://jellymar.io/

It's better than Star Citizen.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

G0RF posted:

Well that needs to be an animated gif, stat!

https://i.imgur.com/TEC2BPE.gifv

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
KazanOfManyCredentials

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

G0RF posted:

She gets mad enough to claim another ship to hunt down her stolen one and its cargo. The hunt is on outside the Armistice Zone and she’s ready to lose everything to teach those Pirates a lesson! Thrilling space combat and ”you messed with the wrong space trucker!” tantrum ramming ensues.

I don't often watch SC videos, because the jankiness makes me motion sick.

So I don't get that battle, why are they ramming each other like that? Are the weapons too weak to destroy a chariot?

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

:discourse:

You're a thread treasure, friend.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

JugbandDude posted:

I don't often watch SC videos, because the jankiness makes me motion sick.

So I don't get that battle, why are they ramming each other like that? Are the weapons too weak to destroy a chariot?

Strategic combat was out the door the moment they stole her Drake. This was personal. She was going to teach those two miscreants they messed with the wrong Batgirl and if she had to ram one of her ships into yet another of her ships to teach them that lesson, so be it.

The fact that the stolen ship was loaded with Cargo she’d spent 3000 credits on was no deterrent. Nor was the fact that she blew up both her ships in the process and therefore lost even more than had she shrugged off the Piracy altogether. She chose the bloodsport route (a.k.a. bumper car bonking) and made sure her lesson was not lost on them.

“No matter what you do, I will self-own, even if it kills me. Especially if it kills me.”

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sectopod posted:

Close encounters of the beary kind.

:five:

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

G0RF posted:

Strategic combat was out the door the moment they stole her Drake. This was personal. She was going to teach those two miscreants they messed with the wrong Batgirl and if she had to ram one of her ships into yet another of her ships to teach them that lesson, so be it.

The fact that the stolen ship was loaded with Cargo she’d spent 3000 credits on was no deterrent. Nor was the fact that she blew up both her ships in the process and therefore lost even more than had she shrugged off the Piracy altogether. She chose the bloodsport route (a.k.a. bumper car bonking) and made sure her lesson was not lost on them.

“No matter what you do, I will self-own, even if it kills me. Especially if it kills me.”

I also noticed she had 5 viewers. Wonder if two of those were stream sniping, that would be the icing on the cake.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
To complete this pyramid scheme, I think CiG ought to start selling licenses to sell spaceship jpegs.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Beexoffel posted:

OK, this is one of the more out-of-left-field replies to come across in my trawling the thread a month behind.
More plox.

It haunts me

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

G0RF posted:

Woah woah woah less of the FUD. She didn't blow up both ships, they flew away unscathed with the cargo and the Cutlass.

Everyone knows the ultimate weapon is clipping through your opponent, they obviously weren't hitting each other and you know physics didn't happen. They just clipped through and span on the spot a little bit.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

I'll let you know that I work at a loving fortune 500 company and that beet has verified my credentials so I am right and you are wrong, and probably a kid, who smells, and is dumb... and doesn't work at any good company or has polyamorous relationships with *ladies*. Super-sexy ones that are in awe of my big, big brain, and love to go dutch.

Fortune 500s count around 26 million employees. I don't know the stats for coprophilia at a national level, but even a 100th of a percent is going to be a couple of thousand who enjoy huffing farts.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Aramoro posted:

Woah woah woah less of the FUD. She didn't blow up both ships, they flew away unscathed with the cargo and the Cutlass.

I apparently wasn’t paying close enough attention in my phone and underestimated the intensity of the self-ownage on display during Batgirl’s Day of Wrath...

In unrelated news, the only studio Roberts considers remotely capable of catching up with him was recently noted for having produced the single most profitable entertainment product in history.

quote:

Grand Theft Auto V has brought in over $6 billion since its launch in September 2013. According to MarketWatch, that leaves it as the most profitable commercial entertainment product of all time. Selling better than any album, book, movie, or video game, GTA V is now the biggest entertainment product ever.

Selling 90 million units, and getting over $6 billion in sales excluding microtransactions leaves GTA V beating the likes of Star Wars, Gone with the Wind, and more. “Even taking into account DVD and streaming sales would not put the biggest movie blockbusters in GTA V’s neighborhood, said Cowen analyst Doug Creutz, estimating those sales might add up to $1 billion to the films’ totals.”

G0RF fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 9, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Daztek owns, thread owns. Minionbear is particularly great.

The other day a shitizen linked this for how cool the "procedural walking thingy" is

IK is not even remotely new but somehow CIG manages to get the cult to be amazed over details other devs have been using for years. Every single time. Of course Star Citizen is revolutionary if the last game you played since Wing Commander was Super Mario :wtc:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
A rare Grand Admiral makes an appearance. The result is hilarious.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/back-to-roots-fix-player-experience-first

My favorite comment is the first one. And 31 (as of this post) members found this tripe worthy of an up-vote:

I should perhaps create a Twitter thread about all the ways that what he wrote above is the usual head-in-sand apologist bullshit. The primary reason that the project is an absolute train wreck.

1) They're never - ever - going to be able to fix performance. Like ever. I recall when 3.1 was just out and the servers were empty, some idiots where making poo poo up on-the-fly that it was somehow faster. It wasn't even 48hrs after it was released, that it dawned on everyone that they didn't fix poo poo. It was just another card in the roadmap - marked as complete - which ended up being a placebo effect on some.

Our respondent is a moron.

What our respondent posted is pure and utter rubbish. Since 2016 CIG has been touting one thing (item 2.0, serialized variables, network bind culling etc) to the next, as they continued to make excuses for performance issues. They literally write about this in various bulletins, while talking about in their shows. I've also written several articles going all the way back to 2016 which laid out clearly why NONE of what they were saying, would make a difference. This proved to be true not only in 3.0, but in 3.1 which they stunned me by somehow releasing something in worse shape than 3.0 before it. Something they created (after trimming it by over 50%) based on their own "schedule".

What these guys don't yet realize is that, as 3.1 has shown, it's only going to get worse as they add more stuff to the game. There is NO way they're making an MMO out of this. No way. It's going to remain a session based game with 64 client max cap that will continue to suffer with bugs and performance issues.

Remember, they still only have these two moons and a planetoid. Imagine what will happen if/when they eventually get all of Stanton (1 system of the 100 promised) built. Hurston is coming in 3.3 and ArcCorp in 3.4. Well, take a look at the map.

2) It's cute that OP is talking about bugs, even as the list continues to grow. From what I can tell, they fix 10 things, and 33 more pop up. That's actually not an exaggeration; I track these things by comparing their bug fixes in the changelog, to the issue council.

It's amazing that the issue of bugs in a 7 yr, $180m+ project that's over THREE YEARS late and has had over 500+ people working on it at some point or another, warrants a flippant response and accompanying rhetoric. While ignoring the fact that in both 3.0 and 3.1, there were more bugs than gameplay features (planetary tech was the only notable thing in 3.0 - and it's a mess). And there are currently 5000+ known & reported bugs in issue council.

3) Like the entry before it, that's a standard bug caused by the fact that the elevator is an entity that's part of the ship model. Unlike the ship, it knows nothing about the world around it, let alone the terrain. Which is why it can go below it, and one hilarious video I shared last week, go up into the sky and out of the ship. Considering that they have had elevator related bugs like this for YEARS, is testament to the fact that these are considered low priority - and it's not like there's an easy fix.

He ignores simple facts above, while poking at the OP saying that "We all know, CIG leaves all the bugs in just to annoy you.". The people who tend to write things like that, are those who can't come up with reasonable counter or explanation.

4) The "flight" model has been broken for years. Each time they try to "fix" it, they somehow manage to make it worse. It doesn't have as much to do with being an fps engine, as it does it being about physics. It has to do with math and knowledge of flight dynamics, as well as parameters for each ship. They don't appear to have anyone who knows wtf they are doing with this. I have written so many flight models in my time, that I pretty much know that it's not simple and it takes LOTS of iterations to get it just "right" for the type of game.

Ignoring all this, our respondent comes up with arbitrary numbers which he pulled right out of his rear end - with zero context - while not even addressing what the OP was talking about the flight engine being poo poo. Yeah, because replacing an engine or making changes, somehow explains a flight model that's been poo poo for years now.

5) It's interesting that OP talks about "experience", ignoring the fact that it's a pre-alpha build of a tech demo proof-of-concept. Nothing is supposed to actually work at this point. So it's no surprise that something as simple as carting boxes of rubber dog poo poo from A to B, is fraught with issues. The issues are not related to the missions. They are related to the fact that engine which the missions and experience rely upon, is badly broken.

Yes, it's pre-Alpha, but that's not the point anyone is making at this point. And those who keep harping that bullshit, are using it as excuse. As I mentioned in one of my Tweets, at this rate, and considering everything they have yet to do - assuming they don't keep cutting things - this project has another +7 years to go. Which means that it's pretty much dead.

Our respondent is a moron. But you already knew that.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is there a blog where I could read about that, Dr. Smart?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

If Dereks ancestors were from the Netherlands he could be Dr. van Smart. That would be a fitting comic book villain name for love pledge.

Also love pledge forever in pre alpha :negative:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

TWITCH: Batgirl experiences The Pirate Life (1:53:20)

It’s April Fools Day (and her birthday apparently) and Batgirl has returned to Olisar with a ship loaded with Cargo. She lands, intending to sell her load of quartz for a modest profit. Pirates (goof balls) board her ship after she lowers the hatch. Her chat demands to “GET OFF MY SHIP!” prove insufficiently intimidating.

Oh well, might as well go sell this Cargo for some coin!

(...but how can you do that when the Cargo flies off because Pirates ignored your demands and stole your ship, Batgirl?)

The inevitable follows... (2:01:00)

I don't know what Batgirl was expecting, given that there's virtually no gameplay to speak of and nothing to do but mess around with each other until the application crashes or you die. It's Griefing: The Game :shrug:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Derek Smart: The only person on the internet to actually respond, point-by-point, to 100% of anything anyone throws at him.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I think griefing is the emergent gameplay we all want in this debacle.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

D_Smart posted:

A rare Grand Admiral makes an appearance. The result is hilarious.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/back-to-roots-fix-player-experience-first

My favorite comment is the first one. And 31 (as of this post) members found this tripe worthy of an up-vote:

I should perhaps create a Twitter thread about all the ways that what he wrote above is the usual head-in-sand apologist bullshit. The primary reason that the project is an absolute train wreck.

1) They're never - ever - going to be able to fix performance. Like ever. I recall when 3.1 was just out and the servers were empty, some idiots where making poo poo up on-the-fly that it was somehow faster. It wasn't even 48hrs after it was released, that it dawned on everyone that they didn't fix poo poo. It was just another card in the roadmap - marked as complete - which ended up being a placebo effect on some.

What our respondent posted is pure and utter rubbish. Since 2016 CIG has been touting one thing (item 2.0, serialized variables, network bind culling etc) to the next, as they continued to make excuses for performance issues. They literally write about this in various bulletins, while talking about in their shows. I've also written several articles going all the way back to 2016 which laid out clearly why NONE of what they were saying, would make a difference. This proved to be true not only in 3.0, but in 3.1 which they stunned me by somehow releasing something in worse shape than 3.0 before it. Something they created (after trimming it by over 50%) based on their own "schedule".

What these guys don't yet realize is that, as 3.1 has shown, it's only going to get worse as they add more stuff to the game. There is NO way they're making an MMO out of this. No way. It's going to remain a session based game with 64 client max cap that will continue to suffer with bugs and performance issues.

Remember, they still only have these two moons and a planetoid. Imagine what will happen if/when they eventually get all of Stanton (1 system of the 100 promised) built. Hurston is coming in 3.3 and ArcCorp in 3.4. Well, take a look at the map.

2) It's cute that OP is talking about bugs, even as the list continues to grow. From what I can tell, they fix 10 things, and 33 more pop up. That's actually not an exaggeration; I track these things by comparing their bug fixes in the changelog, to the issue council.

It's amazing that the issue of bugs in a 7 yr, $180m+ project that's over THREE YEARS late and has had over 500+ people working on it at some point or another, warrants a flippant response and accompanying rhetoric. While ignoring the fact that in both 3.0 and 3.1, there were more bugs than gameplay features (planetary tech was the only notable thing in 3.0 - and it's a mess). And there are currently 5000+ known & reported bugs in issue council.

3) Like the entry before it, that's a standard bug caused by the fact that the elevator is an entity that's part of the ship model. Unlike the ship, it knows nothing about the world around it, let alone the terrain. Which is why it can go below it, and one hilarious video I shared last week, go up into the sky and out of the ship. Considering that they have had elevator related bugs like this for YEARS, is testament to the fact that these are considered low priority - and it's not like there's an easy fix.

He ignores simple facts above, while poking at the OP saying that "We all know, CIG leaves all the bugs in just to annoy you.". The people who tend to write things like that, are those who can't come up with reasonable counter or explanation.

4) The "flight" model has been broken for years. Each time they try to "fix" it, they somehow manage to make it worse. It doesn't have as much to do with being an fps engine, as it does it being about physics. It has to do with math and knowledge of flight dynamics, as well as parameters for each ship. They don't appear to have anyone who knows wtf they are doing with this. I have written so many flight models in my time, that I pretty much know that it's not simple and it takes LOTS of iterations to get it just "right" for the type of game.

Ignoring all this, our respondent comes up with arbitrary numbers which he pulled right out of his rear end - with zero context - while not even addressing what the OP was talking about the flight engine being poo poo. Yeah, because replacing an engine or making changes, somehow explains a flight model that's been poo poo for years now.

5) It's interesting that OP talks about "experience", ignoring the fact that it's a pre-alpha build of a tech demo proof-of-concept. Nothing is supposed to actually work at this point. So it's no surprise that something as simple as carting boxes of rubber dog poo poo from A to B, is fraught with issues. The issues are not related to the missions. They are related to the fact that engine which the missions and experience rely upon, is badly broken.

Yes, it's pre-Alpha, but that's not the point anyone is making at this point. And those who keep harping that bullshit, are using it as excuse. As I mentioned in one of my Tweets, at this rate, and considering everything they have yet to do - assuming they don't keep cutting things - this project has another +7 years to go. Which means that it's pretty much dead.

Our respondent is a moron. But you already knew that.

Hi

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think griefing is the emergent gameplay we all want in this debacle.

I think you're missing the griefing because of all the grief in the way. Wait for the grief to clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

I think you're missing the griefing because of all the grief in the way. Wait for the grief to clear.

So we need to depend on a superset of grief to appear? B'tak logging in with his slider broken?