Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Well, to tell you the truth,” you say hesitantly, “yes, I did.”

As you see the king’s face turn from gold to red, you start apologizing fast.

“You didn’t say we couldn’t go in there!” you stammer. “I didn’t even know what the room was. I ended up in there by mistake. I’m sorry.” You and Zoe start backing away from the king. You step down the first few steps of the pyramid.

“Seize them!” the king commands in a booming voice.

“That’s not fair!” you shout. Now what are you going to do?

The cave creatures swarm forward. They grab your arms and legs. Their hard rocky hands hurt your skin. It feels as if they’re going to rip you apart!

quote:

The cave creatures pull you between them.

“This is not a tug-of-war!” you shout. “Let go of me!”

A flash of light bursts from nearby and the creatures instantly drop you! They moan in pain, covering their eyes.

The bright light seems to be hurting their eyes. What is it? you wonder. Then you see Zoe standing there, grinning from ear to ear. She’s holding a powerful mini-flashlight.

“I totally forgot I had this!” Zoe exclaims.

“Quick, let’s get out of here once and for all!”

You make your way back through the waterfall. The gargoyle has given up guarding the pool, so you are able to rejoin the Junior Explorers. They almost left without you!

Later that night, you and Zoe sit in your tent discussing your adventures. You suddenly remember that you still have the king’s timepiece. You reach into your shirt pocket to show Zoe.

To your surprise, you find the hourglass and a handful of gems! They must have landed in your pockets when the jewel chamber crunched down and sprayed you with rocks.

You split the sparkling emeralds, rubies, sapphires, and diamonds with Zoe fifty–fifty. Forget about being Junior Explorers. Now you’re Junior Millionaires!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Timepiece
3 Gold Pieces

:siren:Goal Endings: 2/2:siren:

Bad Endings
Incinerated by a dragon's lava breath.
Broke our leg and died of starvation in a tiger pit.
Stuck singing to tiger skeletons forever.
Captured by the Muglani and had our head shrunken.
Sucked into a boiling tar pit.
Hypnotized by a leprechaun cave troll.
Accidentally pissed off a giant bat with hearing problems.
Inexplicably betrayed and lured into the mouth of a giant monster.
Hid inside a giant carnivorous plant and got eaten.
Eaten by Cronby after answering his quiz question wrong.
Licked to death by a giant stone cat.
Crushed underfoot by a giant ant.
Trapped beneath the closed-in ceiling of a treasure room.
Devoured by a giant burrowing tarantula.

Achievements
Beginner's Luck: Reached a goal ending on our first try.
Riddle Me This: Won all three gold pieces by playing trivia with Cronby.
What Goes Around: Got time-looped by a magical transparent piranha.

Well, the flashlight was a bit of a deus ex machina, but at least we're rich!

Next time, R.L. Stine decides to check whether Scholastic's censors are actually paying attention. They aren't.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
We actually were rewarded for our greed!?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Deus ex machina ahoyyyyy.

That description of the next book is certainly intriguing.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

GIVE YOURSELF GOOSEBUMPS #12: WELCOME TO THE WICKED WAX MUSEUM

quote:

“Cool!” you exclaim to your best friends Liz and Jake. “The field trip to the Wicked Wax Museum is today. I can’t believe our class gets to see it the day before the grand opening.”

“Finally, Mr. Dunning’s history class won’t be such a bore,” Jake adds, flipping his black baseball cap around backward. “Mr. Dunning. More like Mr. Dull!”

“You said it,” Liz giggles. Her red curls bounce when she laughs. “Hey, why is it called the Wicked Wax Museum, anyway?”

“That’s the name of the guy who owns it,” Jake explains. “Dr. Izzy Wicked. He made all the wax figures.”

“Well, according to Mr. Dull,” Liz adds, “the museum is supposed to bring history to life for us or something like that.”

“Yeah, right.” Jake smirks. “And maybe the wax figures will come to life, too.”

“Oh, gross!” Liz cries. “You’re giving me the creeps, Jake.”

“Come on, you two,” you say. “The bus is here. Let’s be first in line so we can grab the back seats.”

quote:

On the bus, you rush to the back. You and Liz take a two-seater. Jake sits alone across the aisle with his red-sneakered feet on the seat. Now no one else can sit there.

Jake leans back. His chin-length brown hair falls over the top of the seat. “Let’s get this crate rolling,” he mutters.

“All right, people,” Mr. Dunning shouts from the front of the bus. “Thanks to my personal donation to the museum, we get to see the place before it opens to the public tomorrow.” The teacher does one last head count. “All right, Sal,” he says to the driver. “We’re all here. Let’s go.”

As soon as the bus starts moving, Jake presses his nose and open lips flat against the window for the viewing pleasure of other people on the road. Then he breathes on the window and writes in the steam, HONK IF YOU HATE HISTORY!

“Honk!” you say, laughing.

“Honk, honk!” Liz adds. You and Liz are honking so loud you don’t see Mr. Dunning coming down the aisle. He looks mad.

quote:

“That’s enough out of you three! You’re always making trouble,” the red-faced Mr. Dunning sputters. “If you hate history so much, you can just wait for the rest of us in the lobby.”

“Oh brother,” you groan. “There goes our fun.”

Minutes later, the bus pulls up to a stone building. Mr. Dunning leads the class into the lobby of the Wicked Wax Museum.

A scowling woman in a purple turban and gold bracelets sits inside a ticket booth. “These three students will not be going in,” Mr. Dunning tells her. He turns to you, Jake, and Liz and points to a bench by the wall. “Sit there, you little monsters. And you’d better still be sitting there when I come back!”

The class leaves you behind as they enter the Hall of Historical Exhibits. A red door closes after them. Jake manages to sit still for a few minutes. Then he jumps up and says, “I think it’s time for us to take a little tour of our own.”

quote:

“Jake! Don’t!” you whisper loudly as he disappears through the red door. You glance at the ticket lady. She’s busy with something in the booth. “Jake!” you call again. “We’re in enough trouble already!”

You jump up from the bench and try to grab the door before it closes. Too late! The red door slams in your face.

"Hey! Open up!" You hear Jake yelling through the door. He rattles the knob. “Help!” he cries.

Liz leaps up to help you push the door open. It won’t budge.

“Ha, ha, funny. Stop kidding around, Jake!” she scolds.

“Help!” Jake screams again. He really does sound scared.

Then you hear a whir, like a motor starting up. The click of gears mingles with Jake’s cries. “Jake!” you shout.

There’s no answer. You press your ear against the door and listen. “I think something is really wrong,” you whisper to Liz. “His cries are getting farther away. We have to get in!”

You shake the door handle and give one last push. Suddenly the door opens easily. Darkness greets you both. Darkness and the loud whirring of a motor. No sign of Jake.

If you go in after Jake, turn to PAGE 30.

If you decide to get help first, go to PAGE 111. But HURRY!

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Leave him to rot and wait patiently for the plot to pass us by.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Go after him!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

Leave him to rot and wait patiently for the plot to pass us by.

Yeah! Adventure is for nerds.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

We have to be good for teacher and wait.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
RIP Jake. Don't go in after him.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Get help.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You’re beginning to believe Jake’s screams really aren’t a joke. Still, you don’t want to go through the pitch-dark doorway that yawns in front of you. “We’d better ask someone for help,” you suggest.

You look around the lobby. “There’s no one here except that weird ticket lady,” Liz whispers. “She looks like a fortune-teller in that purple turban. She gives me the creeps.”

“Well, creepy or not, she’s the only one here,” you point out. You approach the ticket window. The ticket lady is sitting with her back to you. “Excuse me,” you say.

The ticket lady doesn’t speak or move.

“Excuse me,” you say a little louder. “We think our friend is in trouble. Can you help us?”

Still no answer.

“Why won’t you answer?” Liz yells. “What’s wrong with you?”

“Maybe she’s deaf,” you whisper. You reach into the booth to tap the ticket lady on the arm.

Her arm is cold and hard. You gasp. “She’s not real! She’s only a wax figure! What’s going on here?”

quote:

An awful gurgling cry from the doorway behind you makes you both shudder. Jake! There’s no time to figure out why the ticket lady is made of wax. Your friend needs your help!

“We’ll have to go outside and find the bus driver,” you tell Liz. “Come on!”

You step outside the lobby and look for Sal, the bus driver. But he’s nowhere in sight. In fact, there isn’t a living soul anywhere around you. What are you going to do?

At that moment a long black limousine pulls up next to you. The windows are tinted dark blue. You can’t see inside until the passenger-side window slowly glides down.

A uniformed driver leans across the seat. His hat throws a deep shadow that hides his face. But his voice is friendly as he says, “I’m Axel. May I be of some assistance?”

quote:

“Help!” Liz cries. “Our friend is trapped in the museum and we can’t find anyone to help us rescue him!”

“Calm down,” Axel says. “There’s a phone in the backseat. Get in! You can call for help.”

The limo’s back door opens. You spot the phone. But that’s not all you see. This car is equipped with the works! There’s a television, a refrigerator filled with sodas and snacks, a CD player, and every CD anyone could ever want.

“Wow! This car is loaded!” you declare.

The driver laughs. “That’s right. Hop in and help yourselves to a soda! Put on some music!”

Your parents always told you never to get into a stranger’s car. On the other hand, you do need to call for help – and a cold soda sure would taste good!

What should you do?

If you decide to get into the limo, go to PAGE 118.

If you decide you'd better not, got to PAGE 135.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
yeah let's call for help on this dude's totally legit car phone

Are you gonna show off the stuff the censors missed if we don't get to it?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What's suspicious about a guy who tells you to enjoy free soda and music when you're telling him that a friend of yours is in danger? :v:

Let's get inside of a stranger's car.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 9, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

At that moment a long black limousine pulls up next to you. The windows are tinted dark blue. You can’t see inside until the passenger-side window slowly glides down.

A uniformed driver leans across the seat. His hat throws a deep shadow that hides his face. But his voice is friendly as he says, “I’m Axel. May I be of some assistance?”

“Help!” Liz cries. “Our friend is trapped in the museum and we can’t find anyone to help us rescue him!”

“Calm down,” Axel says. “There’s a phone in the backseat. Get in! You can call for help.”

The limo’s back door opens. You spot the phone. But that’s not all you see. This car is equipped with the works! There’s a television, a refrigerator filled with sodas and snacks, a CD player, and every CD anyone could ever want.

“Wow! This car is loaded!” you declare.

The driver laughs. “That’s right. Hop in and help yourselves to a soda! Put on some music!

This sounds totally legit and this dude is definitely not a child molester. :getin:

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 9, 2018

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Leraika posted:

yeah let's call for help on this dude's totally legit car phone

It kinda sounds like we're about to see the stuff the censors missed, I'll be honest. Get in the limo, this is definitely a good plan.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Leraika posted:

Normally I wouldn't, but some of the deaths in this are too gruesome (or in one case, hilarious) to pass up. The good news is that the best bad ending in the book can actually be reached from two different choices, so it'll be harder to miss.

quote:

So what if your parents told you not to get in strange cars? This is an exception! “All right!” you exclaim.

Liz steps into the luxurious limo first and leans back in the buttery leather seat. You follow her in and reach for a soda.

Without warning, the door slams. Power locks click. Seat belts shoot out and strap you tightly in place. Strapped – and trapped! Axel guns the engine.

“Hey!” you yell. “What’s going on?”

The limo roars away. You twist in your seat to stare back at the museum. Where’s Mr. Dunning when you need him?

A figure runs out the front door. “It’s Jake!” Liz cries.

Jake is waving his arms and shouting. You can hear his words faintly. “Come back!” he yells. “It was just a joke!”

“A joke?” Liz sputters. “I’m going to kill Jake.”

A sudden burst of blue light, like a camera flash, blinds you. When you can see again, you glare at Axel in the rearview mirror. “What’s the big idea?” you ask.

Or you start to ask. Actually, the words never leave your mouth. Instead, you gape in horror at Axel’s face.

quote:

“Yeow! He’s a monster!” Liz yells.

“Wh-what happened to your face?” you croak.

Axel clacks his yellow teeth together. “Don’t you like it? My boss, Sybil Wicked, gave me a face-lift.”

Huh? “A face-lift?” you repeat, horrified.

“His boss?” Liz whispers.

You stare at each other. You just had a horrible idea.

“Um - where are you taking us, Axel?” you ask.

“To Miss Sybil, of course,” Axel says. “I faxed pictures of your faces on ahead to her. She’s dying to meet you both.”

You gulp. You don’t know who this Miss Sybil is, or what she wants with you, but you don’t feel any need to find out. You’ve got to get out of this limo!

“The phone!” Liz whispers in your ear. “Call 911!”

Great idea! You reach for the phone. That’s when you notice it only has three buttons. And none of them says 911.

One button has a picture of a clock on it. The second has a laughing jester’s face. The third is completely blank.

You’ve got to push one of them. It’s your only chance. But which one?

If you try the button with the clock, turn to PAGE 22.

If you try the blank button, turn to PAGE 35.

If you try the laughing jester, turn to PAGE 72.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

More gruesome than "kidneys" or being eaten alive while lamenting your younger sister and best friend are going to die next? :stare:

Laughter is the best medicine.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

The jester's probably gonna wanna hurt us too. Let's call him. Hopefully he and our abductor fight each other for our possession and we can escape in the confusion.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Let's call The Joker so he can come save us. We are making the best decisions today.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to try the laughing jester button. “This one looks sort of friendly,” you declare. Picking up the phone, you push the button.

BZZZT... BZZZT... BZZZT... BZZZT...

Busy.

“You mean they don’t have call waiting?” Liz grumbles.

You try again.

BZZZT... BZZZT... BZZZT... BZZZT...

Still busy.

Want to try again? Or would you rather try one of the other phone buttons?

To try the laughing jester again, turn to PAGE 108.

To try the button with the clock, turn to PAGE 22.

To try the blank button, turn to PAGE 35.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pick up, Joker. :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WQqstqo4Sw

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose
Keep on keeping on.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

:f5: Answer the phone, Mr. Gacy.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Joker is probably prank calling Comissioner Gordon again. And by "prank calling" I mean "taunting him about having crippled his daughter". That doesn't usually take long so try again.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to push the laughing jester button once more. And this time, the phone on the other end rings.

And rings.

And rings.

And rings.

You’re about to slam the receiver down when someone answers.

“Hello?” you scream into the mouthpiece. “Hello?”

“May I be of some assistance?” a man’s voice asks.

You know that voice. You jerk your head up and see Axel holding a phone to the earhole of his bony head. He’s laughing and laughing and laughing.

You stare at the laughing jester on the phone button. How could you have thought it looked friendly? How come you didn’t notice before that the jester’s face is a skull?

Looks like the joke’s on you!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Accidentally phoned up the guy who kidnapped us.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Go in after Jake.
  • Don't get in the limo.
  • Press the clock button.
  • Press the blank button.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

It's time to call someone else for help.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That doesn't really seem conclusive enough to be a game over. :v:

Clock!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Clock, though it'll probably return us to the beginning or something.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“I’ll try the clock,” you decide. “It’ll connect us with the operator who tells you the time. We can get her to call 911 for us.” You push the button with the clock on it.

Instead of hearing a helpful voice on the other end of the line, you hear this recording:

“Good afternoon. At the tone your time will be... UP!”

“Uh-oh,” Liz says.

The limo surges forward and starts to swerve wildly over the road. At the wheel, Axel cackles like a madman. Oh, no! You’re doing 100 miles per hour – straight for the edge of a cliff!

As the limo flies over the edge, you hear:

BEEP!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Accidentally phoned up the guy who kidnapped us.
:siren:Driven off the side of a cliff.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Go in after Jake.
  • Don't get in the limo.
  • Press the blank button.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What happened to taking us to meet your boss, Axel? :psyduck:

Press the blank button?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What happened to taking us to meet your boss, Axel? :psyduck:

Press the blank button?

Maybe his boss is the Grim Reaper? :shrug:

One button left, let's press the blank one and hope for the best.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of which, how did we go from the middle of a city to a cliff?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Gonna break with the others and say Don't get in the limo.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Blank button

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of which, how did we go from the middle of a city to a cliff?

Really ill-advised urban planning.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide on the blank button. “Here goes nothing,” you mutter. Picking up the phone, you press.

BZZZT... BZZZT... BZZZT...

Busy?! “I don’t believe this!” you grumble.

But the next time you try, you hear a click. Then a recorded voice comes over the line.

“I’m sorry. Your call cannot go through... but YOU can!”

The limo screeches to a halt. In the mirror, you catch a glimpse of Axel’s face. It’s furious! As furious as a bare skull can look, that is.

The floor of the limousine drops out. A trap door! Your seat belt flies open. Next thing you know, you and Liz are shooting down a long, sloping tunnel.

quote:

“Whoa!” you cry. You’re on a metal slide, bouncing off stone walls. Down, down, down you go. Finally you land with a THUD.

“Wh-where are we?” Liz stammers as she picks herself up.

You gaze around. You’re in a windowless little room that looks like a dungeon cell. Greenish water oozes down slimy stone walls and makes puddles at the bottom.

In one corner, there’s a wooden door. It’s held closed by a rusted chain and a big padlock. The door, chain, and lock are thickly covered with spider webs. Ugh! You shudder. Spiders give you the creeps!

“I don’t know where we are,” you reply, brushing yourself off. “But I know we’ve got to get out of here before that weirdo Axel finds us.”

“Yeah,” Liz agrees. “And if we don’t get back to the wax museum before Mr. Dunning misses us, we’ve had it!”

You don’t really want to go through the spider webs to the door. You gaze up at the chute that dumped you here. You might be able to climb back up. But will the skull-faced Axel be waiting for you?

If you try the locked door, turn to PAGE 14.

If you try to climb the chute, turn to PAGE 114.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Accidentally phoned up the guy who kidnapped us.
Driven off the side of a cliff.

Achievements
None yet.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Give the chute a shot.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Climb the chute!

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose
Maybe his boss was the Grim Reaper after all. Climb.

Friend Commuter fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, that happened. Chute for the stars.