Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jazerus posted:

no, the difference is usually in head morphology
This is what I was hoping for. I was pretty surprised that one gender didnt have like....crazy plumage for birds, certain growths or colors for lizards, or one significantly larger or smaller for insectoids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Where is the option to actually release a planet as a vassal? I was looking around the other night when some rebels on the other side of the galaxy asked to join me after they successfully became independent, but I couldnt find it so I just stuck 'em in their own sector and left 'em to rot.

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/898106326290759680

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

In 2.0 you have to have start the Domination tree before you can do that.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Black Pants posted:

I'm getting really sick of this political events mod deleting random leaders due to 'political scandals' where one of my goddamn robots says something racist about a biotrophy, or several of my leaders after a hacker tries to blackmail me for 50% of my empire's mineral production for some ridiculous period of time, for 'election tampering'.

On a lighter note, it's really amusing and silly that even a fanatic spiritualist awakened empire can be made to go all, 'Yeah okay this is pretty nice after all.' once they get integrated into my pseudo-servitor empire.

Edit 2: a political event wherein the spiritualists got really pissy about a cult leader rising up and getting taken away by the state also seemed to give one of my ringworld sections a status that makes it so nobody will ever migrate there.

right up there with an immortal robot developing substance abuser trait whos negative factor is... life expectency -20. Oh no he'll only live to Immortal - 20 years

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sloober posted:

right up there with an immortal robot developing substance abuser trait whos negative factor is... life expectency -20. Oh no he'll only live to Immortal - 20 years

I swear I got that so much more often after switching to all synth bodies. HELL YEAH ROBO DRUGS -my entire populace, apparently

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:cripes:

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sloober posted:

Has anyone made Bender one of the robot portraits?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Shugojin posted:

I swear I got that so much more often after switching to all synth bodies. HELL YEAH ROBO DRUGS -my entire populace, apparently

Well, when you no longer have to worry about the health issues...

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

So, the impression I get is that there isn't one big goon-recommended overhaul mod for Stellaris, a la CK2+, but there are a lot of good mods like Glavius' AI and the goon empires pack which people recommend.

If you're playing with multiple mods, would you care to share your 2.0.2 modlist? Especially with gameplay mods, it's not always obvious to figure out which ones play well with which other ones.

Here's my usual collection - includes Real Space, a bit of graphic mods that work well with it, Guilli's planet mods, some gameplay fix mods, the better ship model mods, a ton of music, and space elves ready to be genocided.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1357054878

Things I avoid -
- AlphaMod components (overcomplicated as hell with not much payoff)
- new ship classes or components (they tend to break other mods horribly, AI has no idea what to do with them)
- most AI "fix" mods (Glavius' latest seems to not suck horribly)
- anything that adds new traditions, almost anything that adds new ethics (balance is always an issue and we're already overpowered with the planet mods/extra minerals from Real Space)
- Beautiful Universe (it's horrible despite the name! Has some default system backgrounds that are just really bad)
- anime
- Nazis
- anime Nazis

(note: the "Elves of Stellaris" mod set comes close to breaking the above "no anime Nazis rule", but it's really well done graphically, the game mods are interesting, and it's fun and easy to murder elves)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 9, 2018

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I gotta agree with you about Beautiful Universe. The default backgrounds are definitely uninspired, but some of the ones in BU are just bad. Like, of all the colors the nebula in the background could be, why pick brown? I like mods that spruce up the place (love the tile blockers in Giulli's!) but there is some room for a competing background replacer mod in Stellaris.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

The Bramble posted:

I gotta agree with you about Beautiful Universe. The default backgrounds are definitely uninspired, but some of the ones in BU are just bad. Like, of all the colors the nebula in the background could be, why pick brown? I like mods that spruce up the place (love the tile blockers in Giulli's!) but there is some room for a competing background replacer mod in Stellaris.

Try Real Space if you haven't, it adds some objects in most systems and spaces them out so it seems properly epic.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Garfu, Jazerus, Lum: Thanks for the modlists!

Current (vanilla) game status: my moderately-rear end in a top hat spiritualist-imperialist space turtles have just conquered a whopping seven planets of my neighbouring moderately-rear end in a top hat spiritualist-imperialist space ferns.

The thematically fitting choice would be to turn them into a vassal nation, and I do have full Domination traditions. But I'd like to genemod them a bit first, and maybe rebuild / redevelop their planets while I'm at it. Problem is, all their planets are quite understandably at 100 unrest. Is there a way I can keep them from spamming revolts for a few years? Martial Law edicts aren't gonna cut it.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

NihilCredo posted:

Garfu, Jazerus, Lum: Thanks for the modlists!

Current (vanilla) game status: my moderately-rear end in a top hat spiritualist-imperialist space turtles have just conquered a whopping seven planets of my neighbouring moderately-rear end in a top hat spiritualist-imperialist space ferns.

The thematically fitting choice would be to turn them into a vassal nation, and I do have full Domination traditions. But I'd like to genemod them a bit first, and maybe rebuild / redevelop their planets while I'm at it. Problem is, all their planets are quite understandably at 100 unrest. Is there a way I can keep them from spamming revolts for a few years? Martial Law edicts aren't gonna cut it.
My usual method for reducing unrest is to just disperse their citizens to my other planets, but that costs energy. With a moderately skilled leader you can safely put 2 or 3 angry citizens on each of your planets, and fortresses can let you have 4 or 5. Of course, this also means you need a couple dozen planets to disperse angry people to, which might be an issue.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
What's the best way to take a star system back from a vassal? I got into a war recently and my loyal vassal "helped" by taking random rear end star systems from the enemy which are now under their control and are messing up my borders. I tried to trade for them but the ungrateful pukes won't trade systems under any circumstances. Aside from releasing them and declaring war, is there any other way to clean up the borders aside from a massive galactic civil war?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GamingHyena posted:

What's the best way to take a star system back from a vassal? I got into a war recently and my loyal vassal "helped" by taking random rear end star systems from the enemy which are now under their control and are messing up my borders. I tried to trade for them but the ungrateful pukes won't trade systems under any circumstances. Aside from releasing them and declaring war, is there any other way to clean up the borders aside from a massive galactic civil war?

Nope! Total Wars can result in some really weird and hosed up borders.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
If you aren't playing Ironman, tag switch to them through the console, gift the systems back to yourself then tag switch back.

Note you can only give away systems that border the recipient.

Also a good idea to pause while doing this.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

ConfusedUs posted:

Nope! Total Wars can result in some really weird and hosed up borders.

And lo, the Korat were faithful servants to the Terrans. Uncountable Korat gave their lives in the furtherance of their master's conquests. Yet when the enemies of humanity had been defeated, the Terrans suddenly turned their terrible fleets upon the Korat systems. As planet after planet fell, the Korat could only wonder "what have we done to deserve this betrayal?" And as the last remaining Korat huddled on their homeworld, with the Terran's Planet Cracker above ready to strike, they received a terse reply from their former gods.

"Sorry, need clean borders and couldn't wait until the diplo patch."

As the Korat pondered the meaning of this cryptic message, they were bathed in the light of the Planet Cracker's beam...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

wiki posted:

Non-Ruler Leaders are generated with one pre-existing trait suitable for their class. Every time a Leader gains a level, they have a chance to receive an additional trait, provided they do not already have 3 traits. Scientists that are leading research are excluded from this form of trait gain. Otherwise, traits can be received from events and anomalies.
Is this true?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Finally got Horizon Signal, nice to see all the fuss was deserved. Please keep Kennedy on retainer Paradox. I especially liked the secondary event chains it enabled

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

Is this true?
I would like to say that it is not because my scientists have gotten traits upon leveling up while leading research, but I am not positive about it. I have plenty of scientists with multiple traits, but I am pretty sure that most of them get multiples when commanding science ships exploring or Assisting Research.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The author of this mod (which claims to fix it) states it's still broken as of 2.0.2

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=752695446

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

GamingHyena posted:

If you aren't playing on ironman you can put in "debug_yesmen" in the console, and the computer will agree to any deal you suggest, you could do that and have them trade you the systems.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I would like to say that it is not because my scientists have gotten traits upon leveling up while leading research, but I am not positive about it. I have plenty of scientists with multiple traits, but I am pretty sure that most of them get multiples when commanding science ships exploring or Assisting Research.

There is a check on level up for any leader for traits. However anomaly events can give traits, so exploring scientists will naturally get more over time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

If you aren't playing on ironman you can put in "debug_yesmen" in the console, and the computer will agree to any deal you suggest, you could do that and have them trade you the systems.

Holy poo poo this is handy. I've never ever had any AI agree to a system trade, even if they're my vassal and ready to climb right up my rear end for any other kind of trade or treaty.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

It's really stupid when you think about it. You could gift them a 4 planet super system and they'll be like "meh ok thanks" and give you a +10 decaying relations.

But no matter how many tens of thousands of energy and credits you give them, they'll fight tooth and nail to keep you from getting that garbage empty system.

Lum_ posted:

The author of this mod (which claims to fix it) states it's still broken as of 2.0.2

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=752695446

I scrolled down a little and the author says "all fixed now."

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 10, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Today, on a 4 arm-sprial, I started on a dead end.

And then promptly ran a pirate base that blocked off the rest of the galaxy. :rip:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

iospace posted:

And then promptly ran a pirate base that blocked off the rest of the galaxy. :rip:

Time to play super, super tall. Get through the unity/tech trees in 50-75 years, then start building a monster fleet. Erupt into the galaxy in 2280 equivalent to the fallen empires.

Empires that don't know you exist cannot declare war on you.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

iospace posted:

I had something like this in a reason game. Not to me, but a neighbor.

I started in a little loop of systems, with one half of the loop being cut off by crystal ships, on one side the crystal core of all things.

Once I managed to get through, what should I find but some poor saps that had been stuck there for years with no way out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ConfusedUs posted:

Time to play super, super tall. Get through the unity/tech trees in 50-75 years, then start building a monster fleet. Erupt into the galaxy in 2280 equivalent to the fallen empires.

Empires that don't know you exist cannot declare war on you.

So only use those three systems available to me and sit and wait?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Awhile back I had a game where the Fanatic Purifier had only one system and was trapped by the home planet of another race. One of the beta patches broke the save though so I had to abandon the game

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Did Apocalypse add some other kind of pirate base besides the little 72 power border harassment bases? Or are you talking about the ancient pirate enclave with the Old Guard galleon (that really should break the back of piracy once you get big enough to snuff it)?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

iospace posted:

Blitz straight up the tech and unity trees until you have habitats, then go loving crazy with habitats.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

McSpanky posted:

Did Apocalypse add some other kind of pirate base besides the little 72 power border harassment bases? Or are you talking about the ancient pirate enclave with the Old Guard galleon (that really should break the back of piracy once you get big enough to snuff it)?

That one.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, are carriers worth it or should I continue making corvette swarms?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

GorfZaplen posted:

Awhile back I had a game where the Fanatic Purifier had only one system and was trapped by the home planet of another race. One of the beta patches broke the save though so I had to abandon the game

i started a game a week ago where i was the non-fanatic purifier in this situation and i noped out of that game real quick

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

iospace posted:

Sitting and waiting behind a choke point with 2-3 planets for most of the game while doing pretty much nothing but research and grind out unity is the joy of "playing tall"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

iospace posted:

Yeah. If you have three systems adjoining you, I bet at least one (and maybe both) have a planet with good habitability.

You'll have a tiny empire so you should be able to speed through the tech and unity trees quickly with only a few buildings for each. You don't need to worry too much about a fleet for a long time because no one will know you exist.

You won't have anything to spend Influence on, so you can keep most every edict up at all times.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Alternate suggestion: restart

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Senor Dog posted:

Alternate suggestion: restart

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

It's the year 2415 in my game and I expect the endgame crisis to happen anytime. I am the unquestioned megapower in the galaxy, but I am playing peaceful superpower and never went to war.

The rest of the galaxy is largely split between two dumbass federations, which are at war with each other, and a dumbass hegemon who jumps in to things for fun. But they all love me!

How do I get them to stop warring with each other so that everyone can fight the endgame crisis? Without, you know, attacking them all myself?