Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

iwentdoodie posted:

So Porsche got out of WEC, so now they're just going around destroying lap records in a totally uncorked 919.

Set a new lap at Spa of 1:41.770, previous was 1:42.553 set by Hamilton in F1 qualifying last year. loving ridiculous.

That's pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Isn't Michigan already the Florida of the north?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Powershift posted:

Global warming could be a reason it's snowing outside on april 9th. The polar jetstream getting all fucky is ruining everything.

On the plus side, the North Atlantic Current getting destroyed is gonna turn England into Canada, and that's going to be pretty funny.

Im moving if it gets any colder here

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Im moving if it gets any colder here

Or you'll become freezer corn.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Googled this because I wanted to read the story

Holy gently caress

Like how the hell is that possible, I mean I know they upgraded everything but 12 seconds? That's crazy.

That's just how nerfed they are for competition. Granted, that's also without mirrors, and slightly modified body work for even less downforce

The LMP1H cars are loving insane.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Enourmo posted:

It has the opposite weather and is nearly as flat, but we still don't have Floridamans. Unless they're snowbirds. :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It is currently snowing and there is snow on the frozen ground
Wednesday is supposed to be just under 70°
Somehow

I hate this so much

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Anybody have podcast recommendations? I think somebody did an effort post (MGS maybe?) on this sometime back. I've just started listening to them so I haven't listened to much. So far I like the ESPN 30 for 30s, and Serial. I couldn't get into Lore despite being a nerd. Same for a video game podcast I tried.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

In upstate NY it's going from above freezing (mid 40s) to just below, every single day for a good 3 weeks or so in a row, with enough precipitation to seep into pavement cracks. It's almost a perfect scenario for how hosed up can the roads possibly get, aside from an earthquake or something.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Larrymer posted:

Anybody have podcast recommendations? I think somebody did an effort post (MGS maybe?) on this sometime back. I've just started listening to them so I haven't listened to much. So far I like the ESPN 30 for 30s, and Serial. I couldn't get into Lore despite being a nerd. Same for a video game podcast I tried.

No such thing as a fish, the F plus, Lou reads the internet for you, alcohollywood, hardcore history, dad and sons

Probably other good ones, but those are the ones I regularly listen to

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Safelight got my windshield star filled and I'm surprised at how good it looks. I mean it's not completely gone but drat, not bad. Should last long enough to get the coverage that should have been there and get it properly replaced.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Larrymer posted:

Legion of Skanks
Bertcast
JRE

Edit: dude at work just offered me a header for the civic for 25 bucks. God dammit.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My Brother, My Brother and Me is fantastic. It's a comedy "advice show" podcast that's basically audio shitposting by the McElroy brothers. Don't worry about listening through the archives, just listen to the latest episodes.

The Adventure Zone is done by the same guys plus their dad, it's the one MGS was raving about a while back, can confirm it's excellent. D&D podcast, it's actual play but very story/character heavy, rules/combat light; they're actually moving to other game systems for subsequent seasons to better accommodate what they're doing. It starts out as literally "MBMBAM does D&D", and then evolves into something incredible, albeit still with that same humor all the way to the end, so you're laughing your rear end off in between moments of "holy poo poo what's this wet stuff falling from my eyes".

Other than that, there's Welcome To Night Vale, of which the first few seasons at least are an excellent mix of surrealism, comedy, horror and sci-fi.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My buddy started a podcast called The Gearhead Project. He's brand new at it so sometimes it's a little weird, minor audio issues as he's upgrading and he's learning to getting his guests to talk more but he's talking to people in the business of car stuff but mostly about how they got started. He knows some really interesting people which makes up for the teething pains.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Enourmo posted:

Never heard that one, but Ohio is frequently (and deservingly) called "the south of the north."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In Indiana it's basically still the 50's.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

i like Last Podcast on the Left for my fix of comedy while they cover serial killers and cults

kexp for music

politics:
chapo, citations needed, intercepted

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Larrymer posted:

I don't listen to car podcasts, but

Skeptics Guide to the Universe, Big Picture Science, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History are all very good.

Hardcore History is actually better than very good, they are epic and quite possibly some of the best stuff I've ever listened to.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Powershift posted:

Global warming could be a reason it's snowing outside on april 9th. The polar jetstream getting all fucky is ruining everything.

On the plus side, the North Atlantic Current getting destroyed is gonna turn England into Canada, and that's going to be pretty funny.

Check out the global map of wind. At this point, I'd be like, "what North Atlantic Current?" because holy hell it's gone.

Larrymer posted:

I haven't done an effortpost about podcasts yet (I think?), just YouTube channels. However, here's my current list of podcasts. I use Podcast Addict to listen to them, but just search with whatever you use (Google Play, iTunes, Amazon, whatever) to find them.

99% Invisible: Roman Mars (and his sultry, perfect voice), along with his producers, walk through various elements of design. This isn't just architecture like you'd think, but instead the gamut. From early efforts in military rain-making, airships, gerrymandering (in a surprisingly non-political overview!), beer, or why money is the color it is. Shorter format (usually <30 minutes), perfect for a commute. If I could wish on a genie to give me infinite episodes of one podcast, it would be this.

Crimetown: Finished up with its first season, you get 18 hour-long episodes about Buddy Cianci, Providence RI, and the mob. Featuring interviews, old audio footage, and a masterful soundtrack, you learn about organized crime and corruption in a major city. I'm really glad they started with Providence. They elected a convicted felon as a mayor, for his third term!

Judge John Hodgman: This one isn't as "factual" as the rest, instead just a really easy-going podcast where people bring John Hodgeman their "social lawsuits," and he weighs in on them. I like it because he's extremely level-headed, non-political, and it give an insight into other people's lives that I never would have thought of before. This is the one podcast on my list where I don't listen to every. single. episode, but just pick up one when I want to be cheered up, or have a bout of curiosity.

Last Podcast on the Left: Primarily, a podcast about serial killers. Three dudes in the standard setup (the fact explainer/reader, the funnyman, and the straight man/foil) go through the lives of "heavy hitter" serial killers. Episodes are usually ~45-60 minutes, and the big heavy hitters are normally ~3-5 episodes. Casey Anthony was only 2 episodes, Rasputin will be 3 I think. Skip over the episodes about chemtrails or aliens (they don't believe in them or anything, but the humor falls apart when you deal with current real-life crazies). This is a comedy podcast.

My Brother, My Brother, and Me: A McElroy podcast, each episode is around ~60 minutes. Three brothers, Justin, Griffin, and Travis McElroy, talk about life by answering questions they either find on Yahoo Answers, or are sent in by listeners. You get the combined hilarity of three well-trained comedic partners combined with the absurdity of Yahoo Answers. Has special segments that pop up randomly where they also riff on "food experiences" created by fast food joints (nacho fries at Taco Bell, anyone?), or find "haunted dolls" on eBay (seriously, do an eBay search for "haunted dolls," it's crazy). Also follows the "standard 3-dude setup," but on a round-robin style where they switch off. It's weird to explain, but what the three brothers say often isn't funny in and of itself, but it's how they use language that makes things hilarious. Not through hip-hop fast-talk trickery or anything, but by creating a space with words, and then playing in it. Give it a listen.

Radiolab: Longtime heavy hitter on the actual FM radio scene, but in a longer (~50 minute) format for podcasts. Like This American Life, with less focus on Ira Glass and more focus on a rhythmic storytelling beat.

Sawbones: A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine: Justin McElroy and his doctorwife Sydney McElroy talk about the history of current and past medical trends. Ambulances, Bee Venom Therapy, Tide Pods (?), Eugenics, Opioids, etc. A comedy podcast.

Reply All: a Gimlet podcast, released every two weeks or so. The subtitle is "A podcast about the Internet," but it often goes way beyond that. For example: in one three-episode series, they get a scam tech support call from India, and actually travel to India to meet with the boss of the fake-tech-support call-center. Or, someone calls them asking for help in figuring out these weird emails they've been getting, and they end up meeting with a former NSA agent for explanation. Or a woman in Israel starts an accidental revolution originating with her Facebook page. It gets crazy, and is well-produced. Don't forget the ending skits after the credits by the Mysterious Brake Master Cylinder (their DJ).

Song Exploder: The musician themselves for one of their songs breaks the song down, both with words and audibly, so you can learn its genesis. Very, very good, one of the original "must listen" podcasts. Do you want to listen to Damon Albarn (of the Gorillaz) break down Andromeda? Or James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich break down Moth into Flame? It's pretty loving awesome.

The Adventure Zone: The McElroy brothers (Justin, Travis, Griffin), and their dad (a longtime radio personality, Clint McElroy), play D&D so hard that they cry. I know that sounds nerdy as poo poo, but stick with me. None of them really know how to play D&D, and it is a podcast more about the story than the mechanics. Griffin (the DM, Dungeon Master) inadvertently weaves a beautiful story that absolutely destroyed me by the end. The first five episodes or so are about them getting their footing with the game and how the story unfolds, and is full of a lot of missteps. However, later in the campaign, those missteps come back in a major, and beautiful way that reveals an experience that simply could not be created in any other media. I understand it's not for everyone, but it's something that I will hold close to my heart as an experience for the rest of my life (like seeing Jurassic Park for the first time in theaters, or my favorite trip to a theme park, or a family road-trip gone wrong).

The Memory Palace: Nate DiMeo walks through beautiful setpieces from history (even recent history), with a fairly stark, unique, and audibly soothing setpiece. Each episode is short (<15 minutes, some are only 5), but at the end of each one I guarantee you'll have a moment of reflection. No matter what other podcasts you choose, I'd recommend queuing up three or four of these for listening to between other tasks, whenever you've got a minute. I've cried at a few just from the shock of realization that they can give.

Wonderful!: Griffin McElroy and his wife Rachel spend less than an hour (some are ~30 minutes) each week talking about what makes them happy. An extremely positive (without being cheesy-saccharine) podcast that has literally pulled me from depression. The way Griffin and Rachel play with language in explaining who their favorite sitcom character is, the best time to go to a movie theater (and why that's their favorite), playing four square as a kid and why it's beautiful, their favorite candy or food, or how beautiful the peace and quiet of a baby who has just fallen asleep is, is just wonderful and uplifting and beautiful.

Til Death do us Blart: Tim Batt, Guy Montgomery, Griffin McElroy, and an unsuspecting poor sap have formed a blood pact where they watch Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 once a year on each Thanksgiving. This podcast is too beautiful for this world, and a global treasure. They've done three years so far, and each year is better than the last. On year 2 Griffin watched it synced up to Dark Side of the Moon, and it was a religious experience for us all. Again, the way language is used is beautiful. Check out this excerpt from that episode and tell me you don't want more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7wyfTsIm1k

More Perfect: Just listen to this if you want to learn about the Supreme Court of the United States. Seriously. It is insane and good and each episode gives you a poo poo-ton of insight into why law is the way it is.

Postscript: These are podcasts that I also listen to, but I don't feel like typing up right now:

Criminal
Invisibilia
Oh No with Ross and Carrie
Part-Time Genius (I kinda fell away from this one, it's good tho)
Rumor Files
Stuff You Missed in History Class (I was addicted to this one for a solid year, it's only an occasional listen now)
Stuff You Should Know (I listened to this one straight during the three days I drove my old VW bus from Portland to Phoenix, and the inertia from that trip carried me onto listening for it for another six months)
The Allusionist
This American Life
We Hate Movies (pick a bad movie from their list and they'll tear it apart. Again, "three dude" setup with the funnyman, fact-reader, and foil)
Welcome to Night Vale
What Trump Can Teach Us About Con-Law
Hardcore History (this one is an epic, but each episode is so long that I have to set aside a day. Epic, epic storytelling/historywork, but most of my podcasts are "stuff to listen to while the hands are busy". Give it a shot tho)

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 9, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

iwentdoodie posted:

Edit: since you're an old and remember Honda's, normal for it to take an abnormally long time to start if you gently caress up and let go before it catches? I did it yesterday and it was a solid 5 or 6 tries before it finally decided to start again. Also, if I take a picture of something under the hood, chances you'd know It? It's like a black sensor housing that at one point was screwed into the firewall in front if the driver. Now it's a shattered mess held together with electrical tape, just kind of laying on the strut tower. I can't even buy a new one cause I have no idea what it is.

:corsair:

Sure, shoot me a pic, awfulbean at the gmail thing. Gonna take a stab in the dark and guess it's the map sensor.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

iwentdoodie posted:

Legion of Skanks
Bertcast
JRE

Edit: dude at work just offered me a header for the civic for 25 bucks. God dammit.

Can't list those and not include "The Church of Whats Happening Now". Joey Diaz is the best. And "Your Mom's house" is always good, tho it is almost better to watch their youtube channel instead of just the audio because they play so many clips.

The Heaven's Gate podcast hosted by Glynn Washington(host of Snap Judgement, which is also worth listening to, and he grew up in a cult) is really good. We listened to most of it on our roadtrip driving from LA to Pheonix and it was the perfect thing to kill ~5 hours.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I need to do this IRL because that's amazing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Holy poo poo, thanks for the replies! That should keep me busy for a bit.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

TAZ is hard to sell mostly because the really good poo poo is also spoilerrific, but here's one of the early gems that's not, with bonus fan animation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWPH9JyKCgw

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

In Indiana it's basically still the 50's.

I get home and it's 35C

In loving APRIL. This is truly nuts

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
CarGuruRich Rebuilds just bought a flood-totalled P85D. This is gonna be fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I get home and it's 35C

In loving APRIL. This is truly nuts

LoL, I meant the decade not the temp.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Larrymer posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks for the replies! That should keep me busy for a bit.

https://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/
Download Blueprint For Armageddon parts I-VI

You'll have probably drat near 20 hours of material to listen to for that alone, and Dan Carlins way of speaking is amazing. Very few people speak in a way where I can picture in my minds eye EXACTLY what the speaker is describing, and he's one of them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Door Frame posted:

It is currently snowing and there is snow on the frozen ground
Wednesday is supposed to be just under 70°
Somehow

I hate this so much

It was 36 goddamned US degrees late last week, and 40s this past weekend. In Texas in April.
I hate it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It's 75 and sunny right now in Vegas. :smuggo:

A bit windy though

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You'll all be shocked to learn the Orlando is currently seeing mid 80s and humid in the day, leading to showers in the evening. Truly an earth-shattering revelation.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So the water line leading to my building has been leaking for over a week. It's turned into a swamp around my building (there's no sidewalk from my front door to where I park, only grass). Maintenance insisted it was a broken sprinkler head for several days, even when I pointed out the water visibly coming up from a crack in the sidewalk to the street.

I guess they finally figured out "wait, a sprinkler won't put out enough water to turn the entire lot around the building into prime swampland". Maint is out there with an electric jackhammer... going through the sidewalk, standing in several inches of water... plugged into my downstairs neighbor's patio outlet. Did I ever mention there's no GFCI protection on the outside outlets? :science: (both sets of stairs from my apt are surrounded by water, and the metal railings are touching the water, so if something goes horribly wrong, I'm stuck in here)

Dagen H posted:

CarGuruRich Rebuilds just bought a flood-totalled P85D. This is gonna be fun.

Another one? Or did you just now discover the saga? :v:

He's had it over a year (maybe close to 2 years now?), and the original owner actually contacted him with video/photos of the damage. It was the worst kind of flood damage - salt water (Sandy). You won't find that info on his videos tho, I ran across his stuff on another forum. A friend of his even ran the VIN before he powered it back up, and told him it transmitted over 100 errors before it went offline.

IIRC, the only things actually original on the car are the body, cluster, and the giant rear end touchscreen system (which apparently contains the modem and communications system). Dolores has been a basketcase even with all new-to-him parts.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 9, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

slidebite posted:

https://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/
Download Blueprint For Armageddon parts I-VI

You'll have probably drat near 20 hours of material to listen to for that alone, and Dan Carlins way of speaking is amazing. Very few people speak in a way where I can picture in my minds eye EXACTLY what the speaker is describing, and he's one of them.

if you think dan carlin's normal stuff is good prepare to die laughing

:nws: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834414 :nws:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

38*f and sunny and it feels almost tropical.

Forecast says Saturday should be 57*f and sunny and i can't even imagine what that's going to feel like.

The snow pack on my front lawn is still probably 2-3 feet deep.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Larrymer posted:

My podcast list (adding on what has already been posted):

Heavyweight
Freakonmics
Dirty John (since you liked Serial)
Revisionist History
Sword and Scale (my favorite True Crime podcast)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Another one?

Yes. He just livestreamed it a few hours ago.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Enourmo posted:

My Brother, My Brother and Me is fantastic. It's a comedy "advice show" podcast that's basically audio shitposting by the McElroy brothers. Don't worry about listening through the archives, just listen to the latest episodes.

The Adventure Zone is done by the same guys plus their dad, it's the one MGS was raving about a while back, can confirm it's excellent. D&D podcast, it's actual play but very story/character heavy, rules/combat light; they're actually moving to other game systems for subsequent seasons to better accommodate what they're doing. It starts out as literally "MBMBAM does D&D", and then evolves into something incredible, albeit still with that same humor all the way to the end, so you're laughing your rear end off in between moments of "holy poo poo what's this wet stuff falling from my eyes".

Other than that, there's Welcome To Night Vale, of which the first few seasons at least are an excellent mix of surrealism, comedy, horror and sci-fi.

I'm a big fan of WTNV for just how surreal it is.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fermented Tinal posted:

This. ^^^^^

Seriously, KakerMix, you're going to potentially fight like hell to get the nut off the first bolt and then that's when the problems begin.

Guess what I just finished up doing :smug: :smug: :smug:

Started at 10 am, it's now 4:30 so let's say 7 hours. Besides the surprise of having to lower the fuel tank (which I just filled up yesterday) to get the rear shackles off everything went as I expected. The thing doesn't have any rust at all so I was only fighting undercoating as I threaded these nuts off for the first time. Absorber bushings are also shot so I figure I'll just replace all four absorbers later.

I had a worse time with changing the Liteace's oil than the leaf bushings in this Cruiser.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Uh, wow. Just found out one of my old roommates (not my last one - this dude was my roommate when I lived in dorms) is running for a seat in state congress. He and I very much agree on nearly everything political.

Guess it's time to throw some money at his campaign.

Dagen H posted:

Yes. He just livestreamed it a few hours ago.

Well, poo poo. Just found the video. I was assuming you had just now discovered the saga of Dolores.

Hopefully this one won't be as bad as Dolores was, but that one was very much a learning experience for everyone involved. Dude is nuts for tackling another flooded Tesla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm a big fan of WTNV for just how surreal it is.

The first few seasons, yeah. Then it got wayyyy too far up it's own rear end.

• Locked thread