Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Context
Sep 11, 2006
Darker nights/interiors are essential. I wouldn't ever care about them in traditional Skyrim, but waving a torch around or having to use the Candlelight spell is great for **immersion**.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I am enjoying Skyrim a lot but the scale of the world feels even smaller than usual in VR. Like I'm walking around the set of a theater production. I installed some sound mods for ambient animal sounds and a chirping bird noise came out of a bush like they do at Disney World, was very strange. Also the mountains aren't even the size of foothills when you can walk by them in a matter of minutes.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

jubjub64 posted:

I am enjoying Skyrim a lot but the scale of the world feels even smaller than usual in VR. Like I'm walking around the set of a theater production. I installed some sound mods for ambient animal sounds and a chirping bird noise came out of a bush like they do at Disney World, was very strange. Also the mountains aren't even the size of foothills when you can walk by them in a matter of minutes.

Now you're getting the Usain Bolt VR experience

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The crossbow firing angle ini tweak is a godsend because the automatic crossbow mod is so much fun. Now someone just needs to make a mod to let me dual wield these bad boys.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Context posted:

Darker nights/interiors are essential. I wouldn't ever care about them in traditional Skyrim, but waving a torch around or having to use the Candlelight spell is great for **immersion**.

Speaking of which, I tried a mod that creates dynamic shadows for candles and light emitting spells, but it didn't do anything. :( I think it might just not work in VR which is really too bad because it looks great on Flatrim.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

nickhimself posted:

The loading issue was apparently something already known. Quitting and restarting fixed it.

I'll have to check out the other button issue to see if unbinding it or something will fix that. Really annoying.

I had that problem too until I deactivated the speech recognition. Apparently the ambient noises in my computer room translate to "fists" in computer-speak pretty frequently.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They redid the lighting/shadows for both SkyrimVR and Fallout 4 VR, probably because whatever was already there wouldn't play nice with two viewports (I remember it being an issue with VorpX too).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm not going to mod Skyrim VR because I know if I do I'll spend all my time modding it and none of my time playing it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
If you use Skyrim VR mods, use the Vortex alpha as your mod manager. It uses NTFS junctions to link your mods so testing out combinations of things is suuuper quick, which is handy in VR as you want to be experimenting and disabling things that affect your framerate too hard. I should probably just create a "how to mod Skyrim VR" post to help people out.

Here is a good base set of Skyrim mods I'm using. These are things I think everyone would benefit having:

HRTF 3D positional audio - Skyrim doesn't have 3D positional audio. What the gently caress. Manually download and extract into the folder where SkyrimVR.exe lives. Both x3daudio1_7.dll and SkyrimVR.exe should be in the same directory, along with a new "hrtf" folder.
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch - Bug fixes. You should use this. Bethesda games are buggy and anything to help prevent bugs should be used.
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul - Improves AI behaviors and makes NPCs more life-like.
HD Road Signs 2K Version - Being able to actually read signs in VR is pretty nice. 2K works fine, no need to waste VRAM on 4K.
Optimized Texture for SSE - Changes the compression format on textures to not waste VRAM. Many textures were saved wrong and waste space. This gives you more VRAM room for other texture mods.
Mortal Enemies SE - I'm using the test 2.0 version. It makes melee combat more immersive by making it so enemies can't just lock onto you and instantly spin around to always face you. Immersion is a pretty nice goal for VR.

From there, you can start adding some mesh and texture improvements as your GPU allows:

SMIM SE - Higher poly meshes. Not much else to say.
Skyrim Flora Overhaul SE - Improve flora. An alternative is the 3D Trees and 3D Plants mods, but those have a pretty big FPS hit, so you might find this mod to be better for VR. This might require a beefier GPU or some tweaking, just FYI. I haven't quite finished experimenting with this one; I just wanted to include it as a higher performance alternative to 3D Trees.
Realistic Water Two - Better water. Don't forget the LOD fix.
Obsidian Weathers - Nice weather effects.
RUSTIC CLOTHING - Special Edition - Better clothing textures.
Audio Overhaul Skyrim - Lots of audio improvements. I'm running the version with less reverb. The example video was just crazy with reverb.
WICO Special Edition - Character improvement mod. There are three versions. One uses the vanilla body and the other two use the UNP body (nude and non-nude, don't twitch stream the nude version you idiots).

I've also been trying out some other things like snow replacement mods, blended roads, majestic mountains, etc, but I'm not confident enough to say what works best with what things. And they often cause conflicts so I want to be more certain of what works best before recommending any of them.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah see, thats what I'm waiting for. I'll pick it up in a few months and by then there will be a a great list of mods plus any vr specific ones people have been working on and the issues should be worked out like your uh... hitbox and character not actually following you when you move.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Well, I had never played any VR past like 20 minutes before; especially not per session, and I've put about seven hours into Skyrim VR so far in just 3 sessions, and each time I look forward to the next session even more. It's really transporting.

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/982903909982310401

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Question with setting up Vive lighthouses, just so I know in advance if I need to get anything before my headset arrives in the mail; Do I explicitly need to set the Lighthouses up high facing downwards on a mount, or is placing them flat on a shelf acceptable?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Question with setting up Vive lighthouses, just so I know in advance if I need to get anything before my headset arrives in the mail; Do I explicitly need to set the Lighthouses up high facing downwards on a mount, or is placing them flat on a shelf acceptable?

It'd be best if you could get some mini tripod thing to just angle it down ever so slightly, or maybe a clamp. I think it comes with clamps that you can attach to the shelf, though I don't remember if I bought those. It might suffice depending on how far the shelf is from your playspace, or what height it's at, but it may struggle to pick up the ground without being angled which could be very annoying.

Be sure to grab Open VR Advanced Settings as well, it introduces a whole host of settings you can tinker with to make sure you get the most out of it.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It'd be best if you could get some mini tripod thing to just angle it down ever so slightly, or maybe a clamp. I think it comes with clamps that you can attach to the shelf, though I don't remember if I bought those. It might suffice depending on how far the shelf is from your playspace, or what height it's at, but it may struggle to pick up the ground without being angled which could be very annoying.
To expand on this a bit more: The lighthouses contain motors that adjust the IR emitters. Vibration hitting your lighthouses = bad, and resting them on a surface without any form of bracing means they'll vibrate whenever the motors kick on. Plus you'll want to be able to angle them to get the best FOV.

It doesn't come with clamps, just a wall mount bracket with a ball joint. I recommend picking up a set of trigger/ratcheting bar clamps to use with the stock brackets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kraven Moorhed posted:

To expand on this a bit more: The lighthouses contain motors that adjust the IR emitters. Vibration hitting your lighthouses = bad, and resting them on a surface without any form of bracing means they'll vibrate whenever the motors kick on. Plus you'll want to be able to angle them to get the best FOV.

It doesn't come with clamps, just a wall mount bracket with a ball joint. I recommend picking up a set of trigger/ratcheting bar clamps to use with the stock brackets.

I wondered if that might be the case. Do you have any particular recommendations for compatible clamps?

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Reporting in to say that Payday 2 in VR is actually a really really fun game and totally playable. Being able to fire with your right hand whilst doing stuff like helping a teammate up or putting a drill on a vault with your left hand is just rad.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Jarf posted:

Reporting in to say that Payday 2 in VR is actually a really really fun game and totally playable. Being able to fire with your right hand whilst doing stuff like helping a teammate up or putting a drill on a vault with your left hand is just rad.

I tried it recently but unfortunately I really don't know what the hell I'm ever doing in payday. Is there a good tutorial? I never played it even in pancake mode, so I'm super lost.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Knifegrab posted:

I tried it recently but unfortunately I really don't know what the hell I'm ever doing in payday. Is there a good tutorial? I never played it even in pancake mode, so I'm super lost.

Most of the missions are just get to thing with valuable stuff in it, put drill on thing and defend from cops whilst the timer runs down, take valuable stuff to exit.

If you follow the story line thing on the main menu it takes you through a couple tutorials and then eases you in with some of the simpler missions.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Nalin posted:

If you use Skyrim VR mods, use the Vortex alpha as your mod manager. It uses NTFS junctions to link your mods so testing out combinations of things is suuuper quick, which is handy in VR as you want to be experimenting and disabling things that affect your framerate too hard. I should probably just create a "how to mod Skyrim VR" post to help people out.

Here is a good base set of Skyrim mods I'm using. These are things I think everyone would benefit having:

HRTF 3D positional audio - Skyrim doesn't have 3D positional audio. What the gently caress. Manually download and extract into the folder where SkyrimVR.exe lives. Both x3daudio1_7.dll and SkyrimVR.exe should be in the same directory, along with a new "hrtf" folder.
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch - Bug fixes. You should use this. Bethesda games are buggy and anything to help prevent bugs should be used.
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul - Improves AI behaviors and makes NPCs more life-like.
HD Road Signs 2K Version - Being able to actually read signs in VR is pretty nice. 2K works fine, no need to waste VRAM on 4K.
Optimized Texture for SSE - Changes the compression format on textures to not waste VRAM. Many textures were saved wrong and waste space. This gives you more VRAM room for other texture mods.
Mortal Enemies SE - I'm using the test 2.0 version. It makes melee combat more immersive by making it so enemies can't just lock onto you and instantly spin around to always face you. Immersion is a pretty nice goal for VR.

From there, you can start adding some mesh and texture improvements as your GPU allows:

Skyrim Flora Overhaul SE - Improve flora. An alternative is the 3D Trees and 3D Plants mods, but those have a pretty big FPS hit, so you might find this mod to be better for VR. This might require a beefier GPU or some tweaking, just FYI. I haven't quite finished experimenting with this one; I just wanted to include it as a higher performance alternative to 3D Trees.
Audio Overhaul Skyrim - Lots of audio improvements. I'm running the version with less reverb. The example video was just crazy with reverb.
WICO Special Edition - Character improvement mod. There are three versions. One uses the vanilla body and the other two use the UNP body (nude and non-nude, don't twitch stream the nude version you idiots).

I've also been trying out some other things like snow replacement mods, blended roads, majestic mountains, etc, but I'm not confident enough to say what works best with what things. And they often cause conflicts so I want to be more certain of what works best before recommending any of them.
My additional comments so far on this:

Spend some time doing INI tweaks if you haven't. Seriously. I would have been really disappointed in this game without the mods and ini tweaks. The world scale was really off for me and everything just felt weird. I didn't like stealth out of the box. Leaving depth of field on in a VR game is just criminal. If you're sitting here thinking 'oh my god, mods so much work' well yeah kinda, but it's really worth it in the end.

I'm using Mod Organizer 2 myself, which works fine and also has a sort button to auto-fix conflicts. I've never used vortex alpha as above but I'm sure it works as well. In general, script stuff like the unofficial patch need to be at the top and lighting/visual stuff needs to be at the bottom, with overhaul packages like SWIM being above specific improvements like trees. But the sort button has worked fine for me, I haven't had any issues with the below.

The biggest thing to note is that as I've said in the past, I've got a borderline VR machine - i7-5500k and 970gtx, and I've got NO slowdowns even with the below installed and everything set to max except supersampling. This includes the 3d trees and plants and SWIM which some people have reported decreases frame rate. I suspect they haven't installed The SSE DLL FIX. If your PC is beefy enough to run VR, you should be able to run any 2k texture mods you want.

I'm still adding mods, but my current ones are:

For Visual:
SWIM (static mesh improvement)
Vivid weathers instead of Obsidian weathers (the weather is great but the skybox is annoyingly bright in VR, so I actually switched to obsidian weathers just now)
3d plants/trees instead of flora overhaul (personal choice here but I REALLY dig the 3d trees and plants in VR)
immersive fallen trees
Sounds of Skyrim instead of Audio Overhaul
Realistic water too (you don't need the LOD fix with the latest version though it doesn't hurt to have it installed)
Realistic lighting overhaul
WEBS SE (prettier webs in caves)
HD Road Signs 2k
Real Mountains
Obsidian Mountain Fogs (this hides some of the not-great looking for away textures)
JK's skyrim all in one (better town textures/layouts/flavor)
birds of skyrim (adds chickens in/around town, birds, bird scounds, small touches but a lot of flavor)
hold border banners
A Quality World Map
Frozen electrocuted combustion (bodies visibly burned/electrified/frozen if you kill them with elements)
glowing ore veins
xXawesome potionsXx xl (stupidest name for larger, prettier, more obvious potions so I don't miss them on tables)
electrify (better lighting spell textures)
cinematic fire effects 2 hd (better fire spell textures)

For NPCs:
WICO
Immersive Mouth and Teeth (way cooler than expected with wico)
RS Children Overhaul (this must be above wico in your load order)
Immersive Citizens AI (warning: This has a known issue with a crash outside of whiterun during a mission, you have to disable it for that section but I really like the added ambiance of npcs sweeping or wandering about)

Misc:
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch (this needs to go above all other mods else)
Cutting Room Floor (then this)
Diverse Dragons
Realistic Ragdolls and Force (I felt "realistic" was too boring so I set to medium, which still lets me whack monsters about a little heroically without them sliding around like they're on ice.)
unique uniques
zim's immersive artifacts
acquisitive soul gems
weightless overhaul (I'm a hoarder of books and think they and crafting mats shouldn't weigh anything. I want witcher style loot gameplay without 100% ignoring weight)

I kinda wanted a locational damage mod so I can feel more badass when I aim for the head but all the ones I've seen so far are either crazy unbalanced or half-working. Let me know if someone finds one they like. I'm
also adding rustic clothing and the positional audio from the list above.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 9, 2018

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Got most of the mods working, its extremely pretty, the better mouths one looks especially good.

Live Another Life didn't, but makes sense if its tied into the VR opening area I guess?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Bhodi posted:

Leaving depth of field on in a VR game is just criminal. If you're sitting here thinking 'oh my god, mods so much work' well yeah kinda, but it's really worth it in the end.

Well that explains that. Thank you.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Can't count the number of times I've shouted at innocent people (though it's still pretty funny when it happens)

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Chop Sunni posted:

Got most of the mods working, its extremely pretty, the better mouths one looks especially good.

Live Another Life didn't, but makes sense if its tied into the VR opening area I guess?

Live Another Life can work, but requires some console commands until a new version can be made:
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/89hg5i/live_another_life_works_with_simple_console/

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Does Skyrim Unbound work?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Less Fat Luke posted:

Can't count the number of times I've shouted at innocent people (though it's still pretty funny when it happens)

Having shout on my right grip has lead to plenty of "LOL oops, welp lets see if we can wiggle stick this dude down".

Its hilarious every time.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's not just that it's on the right grip, it's that it triggers on such a light touch of the right grip.

I've been going archer and just got the "slow time when you aim" power and the game just got much easier. gently caress the weightless NPCs who can go from moving 100% left to moving 100% right instantaneously the moment your arrow leaves the bow, though.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Another night of BoxVR. Holy poo poo its still so good.

If you're looking for a game, that uses music and will kick your rear end, get it. Its a heap of fun, well made, and if you're into the streaming thing its mixed reality support is fab.

Such a good workout.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Note to self: stop playing Doom 3 VR right before bed.

That game gets me so amped up that it takes me 2 hours to get relaxed.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Well, I think I went a little overboard on that Anniversary sale. I picked up:

Superhot VR
Edge of Nowhere
The Gallery Episodes 1 and 2
Lone Echo
I Expect You To Die
Duck Season
Arktika 1
From Other Suns
Knockout League
Rick and Morty Virtual Rickality

and on Steam:

LA Noire
Elite Dangerous (50% off)
The Mage's Tale (25% off)
Payday 2

Even with the sale prices and the $50 credit for buying a new Rift, I don't really want to count up how much I spent in the last week and a half. I also tried and refunded a half-dozen games I thought might be fun but didn't grab me, like Space Pirate Trainer and EVE and, sadly, Gorn, which may or may not be a really cool game but got refunded after 5 minutes after realizing how amazingly dangerous it was going to be to move around the room blindly swinging my arms like a crazy person. How do you guys do it? Maybe if there was a toggle to keep the guardian borders on fulltime? The boxing in Knockout League or LA Noire is comparatively much safer, since you can pretty much just plant yourself in a good spot with room to swing your fists and not have to worry about moving around and accidentally slamming the lamp or dresser with a right hook.

Still, I've picked up just about everything I was interested in playing and I've got a good variety of games to go through over the next few months, and then Skyrim on the horizon once I work my way through most of this stuff.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
download openvr advanced settings, it lets you permanently put on chaperone and much more.

skyrim continues to amaze. first time on a year ive had that feeling of unreality when taking off the headset, like I have really just been somewhere else. just got to solstheim, will i have an issue if i am only level 7?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If I recall, skyrim's interiors (like dungeons and caves) pin monsters levels to yours when you walk in for the first time. So if things are too hard, you can go back later. But creatures also have a min and max level so they might still be too hard initially. If things are too hard in the overworld, you're probably in the wrong place.

Either way, I'm pretty sure VR gives you a big advantage because you can fire faster with the bow and swing faster with weapons than the base game intended. Spells are still time-on-target DPS but you do get dual-casting for free. I'm playing on "adept" difficulty and I may notch it up because things are too easy at the moment. I'm only a few hours in though, level 7 and just finished climbing the 10,000 steps and the initial greybeard training.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 9, 2018

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I’ve had my PSVR for about a week now and having a bit of a problem, and the OP still says it isn’t out yet so that hasn’t helped much.

Is there any particular reason why the UI for a lot of games seems to be way far up the field of view? I’ve noticed it mostly in Doom VFR and the VR Worlds dangerball game, but anything with a targeting reticle or box UI seems to be too far up my range of vision to feel right. Doom’s navbar is pretty much off the screen, for example.

Holding Options doesn’t help either. Is there some kind of VR safe zone function I’m missing?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^^^^^^^ might have better luck in the PSVR thread

why are certain things just funnier/better/more fulfilling in VR?

i wander into the barrow in iverstead, some ghost guy is all like "LEEAAAVVEEEE!!! NOOWWW!!! LEAEEAAAAAAVEE!" and I'm just like "yep ok" and turn around and get out of there. would have been a nothing moment in pancake but it was super funny in VR.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Don’t leave go kill the guy he’s a chump

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Walrus posted:

^^^^^^^^^^ might have better luck in the PSVR thread

Well drat, didn’t even know there was one! Thanks. :haw:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

EbolaIvory posted:

Another night of BoxVR. Holy poo poo its still so good.

It really is. If you haven't tried the beta, you should. They made the "train to your own music" option a million times better and there's extremely rudimentary multiplayer.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It really is. If you haven't tried the beta, you should. They made the "train to your own music" option a million times better and there's extremely rudimentary multiplayer.

Does the difficulty ramp up or is there introductory stuff in BoxVR? For as great as The Walrus' feed for Soundboxing is, they're way too complicated for me just starting out. Soundboxing's UI is absolutely terrible so gently caress scrolling to the beginning of his stuff, 3 at a time, where there might be easier tracks.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Obsurveyor posted:

Does the difficulty ramp up or is there introductory stuff in BoxVR? For as great as The Walrus' feed for Soundboxing is, they're way too complicated for me just starting out. Soundboxing's UI is absolutely terrible so gently caress scrolling to the beginning of his stuff, 3 at a time, where there might be easier tracks.

fwiw I made this map a few days back - it is quite lengthy so a good workout, but due to the length I made it much less complex than usual. thanks for playing my stuff though :) other easier tracks I've done are 'gimme shelter', 'where is my mind', or 'saint john'. all are still not necessarily easy but are more medium-difficult than most other things

https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/c1d5bdf4-3776-11e8-b92b-0a580a20040c

PenisMonkey posted:

Don’t leave go kill the guy he’s a chump

obviously :), I slaughter all comers with my stamina/frost damage hunting bow. I'll go back for him sometime.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 9, 2018

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Obsurveyor posted:

There's beginner category for the built-in workouts, and there's a difficulty slider for user tracks. There's also a "Training" mode that I've never tried, but the description makes it sound like some sort of endless mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Nalin posted:

Thank you much! I've never gotten around to touching Skyrim cuz it didn't look like my thing at all (bounced hard off the few ~western~ RPGs I've tried), but I grabbed the VR version and am figuring out how to load this stuff up for the next couple days off work.