Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

suuma posted:

I didn't realize only certain BGs fired certain ammo types and didn't bother looking, at the time. Just thought it looked cool :v:

Yeah it's a shame that it looks so good but is so bad.

Capcom please let xeno hbg use the xenolaser as special ammo, tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

5-star is the tail end of LR so you'll get there relatively quickly, depending on whether you grind side stuff or not.

And as noted, the eggs and other items with Trade-in Item in yellow are only used for money.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Someone mentioned a legiana/Kirin set for material farming. What pieces did you use? These sets seem fairly bad aside from the bonuses.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

In a word - don't. Trying to spec for Free Ammo/Element with HBGs is a lot of investment for very little return. You need to have L3 Free Ammo/Element just to get an extra Pierce 3 round in the clip for Baan Roar, which takes your Pierce 3 clip from 2 to a whopping 3.

That's a pretty substantial boost to your effective fire rate. There's definitely no way to squeeze it into that build without the decoration, but if you happen to have one using that plus the charm is probably fairly good.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nightgull posted:

Thanks guys, I think this is the most helpful games thread I’ve ever posted in.

Though I haven’t see a mantle yet, much less a bandit one. Looks like it drops from a 5 star quest at HR 9, so I won’t be able to get it for a while.

Also don't be a dummy like me and not realize there are items specifically for selling. If you go to sell items and into your materials, there are items (at the very end if your sort them) that say "trade-in item." The only purpose those serve is for selling.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

suuma posted:

I didn't realize only certain BGs fired certain ammo types and didn't bother looking, at the time. Just thought it looked cool :v:

A big issue with HBGs is that they don't make a lot of the things you need to know about them apparent.

So here are the three most important things you need to know about HBGs (and bowguns in general):

Ammo Types: You can see these numbers in the basic characteristic/skills menu on the right hand side. For HBGs, the numbers you need to be concerned are the clip sizes for the Basic Three ammo types - Normal, Piercing, and Spread.

Generally speaking, if a HBG has the largest clip for the Level 3 version of that ammo type, that's typically the shot type you want to be using for that particular bowgun. Exceptions exist, and the way that you'll learn this is by taking the other things you need to know into consideration.

Recoil: Recoil is how much your character staggers when they shoot a particular ammo type from their bowgun. You can learn your bowgun's recoil value in two different ways. The first (and the way you shouldn't) is by building the gun and going through its weapon mods. This screen will use words, but these words can be misleading. The better way to learn about a bowgun's recoil is by clicking the left thumbstick (L3 on PS4) on the HBG when you're 'hovering over it' on the weapons tree. Recoil is very different than Deviation - we'll get into that later.

Recoil is measured on a 1 to 4 scale, with one special value (Wyvern) A Recoil of +1 means that your character staggers very little, if at all, when shooting a round. Also, this means that you can fire your next shot faster since there's minimal 'recovery' time. A Recoil of +4 means that your character is actually pushed back a significant distance when they fire and they can no longer move until they recover. The special value (Wyvern) is only for shooting Wyvern rounds, which will always knock back your character a significant distance no matter what HBG they're using.

Ideally, you want your chosen shot type to have a Recoil value of +2 or less. At +2 or less, your character can still move while firing the bowgun. Most HBGs have a Recoil of at least +3 with either Normal, Piercing, or Spread 3. If the HBG is suited to fire Normal/Piercing/Spread 3 though, you should be able to mod it down to +2 with a single Recoil Mod.

Reload: Reload is how much time it takes for your character to load up a fresh clip of that particular ammo type. You can discover this value the same way you discovered the recoil value - either through the bowgun modification screen or by clicking L3 on the bowgun in the weapons tree. You have four major values for Reload:
  • Fast: Your character reloads a clip with incredible speed and can move while doing so.
  • Normal: Your character reloads a clip, but they can do so while moving.
  • Slow: Your character will take some time to reload a clip, and they must stop in order to do so
  • Very Slow: It will take a long time for your character to reload a clip of this ammo, and they must stay put the entire time. Only reload this ammo when you've got a safe window to do so.

Ideally, you want your chosen shot type to have a Reload value of at least Normal. This will allow you to stay moving while you reload. Like with Recoil, most HBGs have a Reload of Slow or longer with N/P/S 3, but they should be able to mod it down to Normal with a single Reload Mod.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Nightgull posted:

How do I make money? I’ve been selling my equipment as I upgrade and replace bits and pieces, but I’m just realizing that that may not be a good idea for the long term. I could definitely see myself using bone armor again for the fire resist, assuming that defensive stats don’t function like in Dark Souls and actually matter, since my planned next upgrade, vespoid armor, is weak to fire.

(Not sure if the skills on that armor are optimal, but it looks wicked as heck so I want it.)

Don't worry too much about armor in low rank, it'll all be replaced wholesale in high rank.

Farm Might Seeds or God Bugs for some easy cash (though not much), otherwise keep an eye out for easy investigations; killing hornetaurs or vespoids for 10k or so is an easy way to get some cash.

It doesn't get really easy until later.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Gerdalti posted:

Someone mentioned a legiana/Kirin set for material farming. What pieces did you use? These sets seem fairly bad aside from the bonuses.

Here's the set I use most often:

-Weapon: Monarch (Kirin DB)
-Head: Kirin Horn Beta - Slot: Ice Res Jewel 1
-Chest: Kirin Jacket Beta - Slot: Protection Jewel 1
-Hands: Legiana Vambraces Beta - Slot: Attack Jewel 1
-Waist: Kirin Hoop Beta - Slot: Bolt Jewel 1 - Slot: Bolt Jewel 1 - Slot: Bolt Jewel 1
-Feet: Legiana Greaves Beta - Slot: Sprinter Jewel 2
-Charm: Attack Charm III

That's just my particular setup, you could change it quite a bit. Gives you both set bonuses, Attack Boost 4, Ice Res 3 (I just do this for the Def bonus, obviously you can change the deco, it's low value), Thunder Attack 3 (cap for Monarch), Marathon Runner 3, Divine Blessing 3, Blight Res 1, and Airborne 1. Works well for anything at least moderately weak to Thunder, since Kirin weapons cap at blue sharpness you don't need Handicraft at all, and you've got the DB bases covered with high elemental damage plus Marathon Runner. You could also drop all the Bolt Jewels and use basically any weapon, especially if you have Handicraft jewels (set has two level 3 slots so with a charm you can hit 5 easily). I just fashion hunt so Kirin armor gets Kirin weapons. This combination of armors works well for any weapon that can use Marathon Runner, the two standouts being DB and Lance. Thunderpiercer, the Kirin lance, is also wicked good, I use that as well, I just change the charm to Ironside III and add two more Bolt Jewels (replace Attack and Ice Res usually).

For weapons that can't use Marathon Runner (or don't need it), I switch to these pieces (this locks you into Thunder element weapons though):

-Weapon: Kirin Thunderpeal (Kirin SA)
-Head: Legiana Helm Beta - Slot: Ice Res Jewel 1
-Chest: Kirin Jacket Beta - Slot: Satiated Jewel 1
-Hands: Kirin Longarms Beta - Slot: Bolt Jewel 1 - Slot: Bolt Jewel 1
-Waist: Kirin Hoop Beta - Slot: Bolt Jewel 1 - Slot: Resistor Jewel 1 - Slot: Resistor Jewel 1
-Feet: Legiana Greaves Beta - Slot: Jumping Jewel 2
-Charm: Leaping Charm II

The charm and Jumping Jewel are just for SA since I like running Evade Extender with it, you can do whatever really. An offensive skill would obviously be a good choice. Otherwise, this set again gives you both set bonuses, Thunder Attack 5 (cap for the Kirin Thunderpeal), Divine Blessing, Ice Res 3, Blight Res 3, Evade Extender 3, and Free Meal. There's a lot of flex with the decorations, I just generally like to cap skills if I can. But depending on your available decorations, you could add a fair bit of offense to this set.

Those are the two variations that I tend to go for. They work fine, you aren't going to be getting record kill times but they won't hold you back all that much and the increased rewards are very noticeable. You always want to be capturing with these sets of course. Doing regular investigations with these sets is probably the best way to farm gems from the monsters that can be captured.

One possible change you can do if you are playing solo and want to speed things up is switch to a 2/3 Rathalos/Kirin setup and go for Crit Element + Weakness Exploit with Kirin weapons. This will massively increase your damage (and I mean by a LOT) at the expense of the Legi set bonus. Makes hunts go faster but if the reward you want is in the top box (ie: it's a quest reward not a capture/break reward, so for example, weapon streamstones from tempered Jho) you are probably better off sticking with Legi. On that note, if what you want is better rewards from the top box (ie: you don't care about monster parts necessarily and want something unique from that quest, like special event quest rewards etc), all you need is two piece Legi, so you have a lot more options for a set in that case.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Thanks, I'm mostly looking to gem hunt, so this is helpful.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

The Xeno stuff is all solid. Their downside is the below average damage but everything else makes up for that.

This. 15% Affinity less than the Odo weapon with higher raw damage and 2 tier-3 slots and White Sharpness without any levels in Handicap? Yeah, so you can't use Elementless, but who cares? It's a no-brainer fun weapon for most weapon types.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I've tried to go through your posts to find some dual blade builds but wasn't able to find anything specific. I know your a fan of marathon runner for DB but do you mind posting some full late-game sets that you recommend? All I really see on reddit is "fire and ice" with no mention of decorations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

TaurusOxford posted:

The Xeno stuff is all solid. Their downside is the below average damage but everything else makes up for that.

The real downside is that they all look bad

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

RisqueBarber posted:

I've tried to go through your posts to find some dual blade builds but wasn't able to find anything specific. I know your a fan of marathon runner for DB but do you mind posting some full late-game sets that you recommend? All I really see on reddit is "fire and ice" with no mention of decorations.

This is a set I pulled from one of the players on the TA wiki. They avoided needing marathon runner by using dash juice, and not staying in demon mode for extended periods, but it's a nice skill to have.

As long your sharpness is in a good place, you can pretty easily swap stuff around to fit decoration availability and your taste in utility skills.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I took Focus off my GS build and put in an Attack Charm III instead with 2 attack jewels.

I think my damage record for a single hit is 780ish. :unsmith:

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Any Insect Glaive users postin? I used IG for a while when playing the story and wanna get back into it since I have a ton of augment stones. Not really sure what I want to go for though. Seems like crit element would be the way to go, but I'm curious if anyone has some interesting builds to try. Or even what skills to aim for.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bleck posted:

The real downside is that they all look bad

I think the Xeno longsword is the best looking weapon in the game and I don't even like longsword so uh you're wrong. :colbert:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Baron posted:

Any Insect Glaive users postin? I used IG for a while when playing the story and wanna get back into it since I have a ton of augment stones. Not really sure what I want to go for though. Seems like crit element would be the way to go, but I'm curious if anyone has some interesting builds to try. Or even what skills to aim for.

Haven't played IG for a long time (haven't since before I unlocked augments) but Vice is great fun. That and Pseudocath means you essentially have a bug bullet that sets mini mines in the air.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Matsuri posted:

Haven't played IG for a long time (haven't since before I unlocked augments) but Vice is great fun. That and Pseudocath means you essentially have a bug bullet that sets mini mines in the air.

Plus it looks really cool... SOLD. I also think I'll try the Diablos one.

A million pages ago I remember a discussion about which combo was the best to use just standing there. Does anyone remember what the conclusion of that was?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

all I'm missing from CV is a small gold crown Poulumu and I'm getting real sick and tired of restarting that quest just to only find a giant gently caress off sized Poulumu.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Ibblebibble posted:

I think the Xeno longsword is the best looking weapon in the game and I don't even like longsword so uh you're wrong. :colbert:

But it doesn't even have a rocket booster on it, so,

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

all I'm missing from CV is a small gold crown Poulumu and I'm getting real sick and tired of restarting that quest just to only find a giant gently caress off sized Poulumu.

Same for the forest. I'm only missing Mini Jagras, Pukei, and Giant Rathalos and the game doesn't seem to want me to have them.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Baron posted:

A million pages ago I remember a discussion about which combo was the best to use just standing there. Does anyone remember what the conclusion of that was?

on PS4 it's triangle, triangle, triangle, circle circle IIRC

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

Ibblebibble posted:

Xeno LS is cool and the GL is ok but it still looks like the design team had a tug of war between what looks “practical” and fantastical for most of the weapons which IMO is an overall detriment. Correct me if I’m wrong but past games had a more fantastical weapon and armor design. (I’ve played some Generations but not enough for a solid opinion)

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

Baron posted:

Any Insect Glaive users postin?

The Kadachi Pillar got me through most of the game and ended up being my crutch weapon if I ever hit a wall. I used Nergs IG a lot, got burned out and remembered what it felt like to smash monsters heads with a hammer.

I’m sure people can relate but if I ever find myself getting tired of playing I just switch weapons or try new ones. Hopefully I can keep doing that until 100% completion. I don’t want to be sick of this game but hunting for crowns in the event quests has started to become a real drag.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

hiddenriverninja posted:

Thank you.

One more IG question sorry: Is Pseudocath pretty much The Bug then?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Baron posted:

Critical Element is definitely your best bet if you take the effort to build for a monster's elemental weakness. Otherwise there aren't tons of crazy or weird builds that spring to mind. Latent Power can be fun with a bug with decent Heal stat, since you can use it to top up your health without breaking stride.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If they made an LS that had rockets that flare up when you go for spirit stab and then shoot you down for spirit helmbreaker I'd never unequip it tbh

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

hiddenriverninja posted:

If you only have time for a quick hit or two, it’s Triangle > Circle. If you have a little more time, it’s Forward+T>O>O. If you need to close the gap a little bit, L+O>O.

If the monster is knocked down and you have time to wail, you have two options:

If you can wedge yourself into the monster so you won’t move forward as you attack, L+T>O>O>Repeat. If you can’t (the monster wiggles arounda lot, it’s too small, etc) then it’s T>T>O>Repeat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Did a 4 reward tempered kushala, it was very perilous and took a good 15 minutes but it was worth it for the Dragon Res, Meowster, Stamina Thief and Crisis decos I got :hmmyes:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Baron posted:

Thank you.

One more IG question sorry: Is Pseudocath pretty much The Bug then?

More or less. Anything with a ton of speed, really. Pseudo has the luxury of being fast and also it makes stuff explode. Fun new IG trick, after you've got your triple-buff mark a spot on the monster with R2 and the bug will relentlessly attack that spot until it runs out of stamina. It's lots of free damage while you're doing cool darth maul tricks.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

LuiCypher posted:

Generally speaking, if a HBG has the largest clip for the Level 3 version of that ammo type, that's typically the shot type you want to be using for that particular bowgun. Exceptions exist, and the way that you'll learn this is by taking the other things you need to know into consideration.

What about teostra's artillery? It looks cool but it has like 10 shots for spread 1 and nothing else. I feel like it's a joke gun? For laughs?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Got an Earplugs Jewel this morning but now I can't find it anywhere in my item box. I only just killed Nergigante in the main story, are Level 2 and 3 gems not accessible until further in the story?

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

Got an Earplugs Jewel this morning but now I can't find it anywhere in my item box. I only just killed Nergigante in the main story, are Level 2 and 3 gems not accessible until further in the story?

Not that I'm aware of. Are you trying to put it in a level one slot? Either that or you already put it in something and don't see it in the first part of your list?

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Krinkle posted:

What about teostra's artillery? It looks cool but it has like 10 shots for spread 1 and nothing else. I feel like it's a joke gun? For laughs?

It's not a great gun, but you could use it for, well, artillery! It loads all three levels of Cluster, and also has a two-shot clip for Wyvern.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Krinkle posted:

It's really sort of depressing how poorly balanced some of the guns are. Like, if you weren't even going to bother making them even remotely usable, why even have the gun in the game? Even "bad" weapons of other types still have high numbers to go with it, like an 800 damage elemental greatsword is still usable and fine, but a bowgun with a bad ammo loadout is about as badly as you could possibly cripple yourself in terms of being useful.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Krinkle posted:

Teostra's Artillery emphasizes the Artillery, which is part of its exception status. I'm pretty sure it can fire every explosive round in the game (Sticky + Cluster 1/2/3), and it's not half bad at shooting Normal 3 either - so if you're going to fire a basic ammo type, spec for Normal. I've seen someone on the internet recommend Reload Assist +2 and then one other mod of your choice. I personally haven't built it, but looking at the stats that's what I would do as well.

Some people might recommend that with that much explosive ammo, you could run around with Xeno's set bonus so that you have a chance of not using up the round you just fired. Apparently the HBG speed strat is to rain hellfire on monsters via Cluster ammo with Xeno's set bonus, so Teostra's HBG probably gives you the most insurance against bad RNG for this.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Baron posted:

Not that I'm aware of. Are you trying to put it in a level one slot? Either that or you already put it in something and don't see it in the first part of your list?

I'm trying to put it in an item with a level 3 slot, so that's not it. The drat thing just isn't in my inventory.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Baron posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=481089237

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=481134699

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=481143917

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Sarchasm posted:

I'm trying to put it in an item with a level 3 slot, so that's not it. The drat thing just isn't in my inventory.

I feel like I've lost things if I unthinkingly turn off my PS4 before saving or autosave kicks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

Huh well the only other places I can think to check are in the sell menu and the melder. See if it's gone from both of those too I guess? If so, I don't know buddy. :(

Wow thanks dude! You didn't have to do the work just because I'm too lazy :)
I took my build out a few times and forgot how much fun IG is, so this will be really helpful.