Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The US gonna bomb Syria tonight. Book it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

this was the US Attorney, a federal official, which is why the FBI executed the search warrant

Oh, drat my mistake.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

I hope the term "infrastructure week" becomes the new nomenclature for the actions of hilarious competence in leadership. Sort of like got -gate became attached to everything after Watergate combined with an aristocrats joke.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

The Glumslinger posted:

I wonder what else they found

Stormy Daniels alone probably isn't enough for this

I wonder if they found out Cohen was laundering the missing inauguration funds

I'm guessing tax stuff

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/albamonica/status/983438779632537600

Cohen's attorney confirming it happened

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Gonna be fun when they say they can't perticipate in discovery during the Daniels litigation b/c Meuller took all the docs

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

i'm not sure, but I think that to get a warrant for a lawyer that authorizes seizing client communications you need a pretty strong showing that the lawyer is engaged in criminal conduct with that client, because breaching attorney-client privilege is hard loving work and I don't think any judge is going to idly sign off on a general warrant for a lawyer without being very specific about what potential privileged communications you can seize and having been given a very good reason why

and there ain't no way that's happening that doesn't rebound on Trump

Am I reading too much into it being a full fledged "FBI agents knocking on the door" search instead of merely a subpoena? Seems like the former would be much more risky as your agents would be exposed to all sorts of truly privileged documents which would increase the ability of the Cohen to get the evidence tossed.

Seems either like a strong arm "you really should cooperate" from Mueller or they don't trust him to actually turn over stuff if a court says he has to.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-TX) was asked by host Chad Hasty of KFYO-AM in Lubbock whether he has seen enough evidence thus far to support a hypothetical impeachment of the president.

O’Rourke initially responded: “The answer is yes.”

“I want to be straight with you. “I’ve seen an attempt—no matter how ham-handed—to collude with a foreign government in our national election. I’ve seen an effort to obstruct justice in the investigation of what happened in the 2016 election. As many Republicans as well as Democrat Senators and House members will attest, I don't think that President Trump has the fitness or competence or judgement to be in that position but the impeachment as I understand it is tantamount to an indictment, it should be decided by the Senate.”

“As a prospective Senator, we must await all the facts, all the truth, all the information forthcoming from the Bob Mueller investigation,” O’Rourke explained. “So the most important thing to me is to safeguard the independence and the integrity of the Mueller investigation. Because here’s the thing: impeachment doesn't make any sense right now. Until you have reached the point that the facts are so compelling that a Republican colleague—it may be Jodey Arrington, it may be someone else—is able to come before their constituents and explain how they voted to impeach the president of their own party.”

He concluded: “We are not there yet. So I’m going to stay focused on the issues that we can make a difference on right now. And we’ll leave this until we get the conclusion of that investigation.”

Bold move.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Trump cannot keep quiet about this, right?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Somehow all his case files were on the 50th floor a couple days ago in a coincidental mix-up.

apparently the fire was in the home of a reclusive art dealer in declining health who wanted to move out of trump tower but couldn't because there were no buyers

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/08/nyregion/trump-tower-fire-art-collector.html

quote:

Todd Brassner, who died in a fire at Trump Tower on Saturday, loved fast cars, electric guitars, expensive watches and making long, erudite pronouncements about art and art history. He was an art dealer with health problems and a 2015 bankruptcy that listed his apartment as the location of more than $3 million worth of artwork and other collectibles, including a 1975 portrait of Mr. Brassner painted by Andy Warhol.

Friends of Mr. Brassner said he had been trying to move since the election of President Trump in 2016, which brought increased security and activity to the building on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, but he could not sell his 50th-floor apartment, which he estimated to be worth $2.5 million in 2015.

But in recent years, Mr. Brassner started leaving the apartment less and less frequently, and he resisted offers from friends to visit or bring food. Blake Gopnik, who wanted to interview Mr. Brassner for a biography of Warhol, said he set up a number of meetings. “But he always made some complicated excuse,” Mr. Gopnik said.

Mr. Brassner’s struggle with drugs brought him into contact with “shady characters, who snookered him out of masterpieces,” Mr. Pivar said. The apartment was so cluttered Mr. Brassner could barely move, Mr. Pivar said.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

evilweasel posted:

uh no

colleges want as many applications as possible, because the more applications they turn down the better their statistics are

I would assume that the desire only works when there's an inhibitor to applying, making each application more valuable. Having a free for all would presumably have led to a website where I can apply for 100 colleges all at once with one application, and I also get both a free yahoo account and a subscription to Cosmo.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oh man. They are all so hosed.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

WeAreTheRomans posted:

lol at paying to apply to college. every SINGLE day I am amazed by some American bullshit

:same:

But I'm American living in Americaland.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Press: "Mr. Trump did you know about the payments to Miss Daniels made by your lawyer"

Trump: "No. You'll have to ask mr. Cohen himself"

FBI: "ok"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

moostaffa posted:

I'm guessing tax stuff

Trump will try the "I'm being audited so I can't present my tax records until it's done" defense here, too. :laugh:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Am I reading too much into it being a full fledged "FBI agents knocking on the door" search instead of merely a subpoena? Seems like the former would be much more risky as your agents would be exposed to all sorts of truly privileged documents which would increase the ability of the Cohen to get the evidence tossed.

Seems either like a strong arm "you really should cooperate" from Mueller or they don't trust him to actually turn over stuff if a court says he has to.

Would you trust Michael Cohen to turn over documents?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

you have a special privilege team of people not on the main investigation, it's specifically laid out in the DOJ requirements (which are no joke). and yes, they had to satisfy themselves a subpoena wouldn't do it:

quote:

In order to avoid impinging on valid attorney-client relationships, prosecutors are expected to take the least intrusive approach consistent with vigorous and effective law enforcement when evidence is sought from an attorney actively engaged in the practice of law. Consideration should be given to obtaining information from other sources or through the use of a subpoena, unless such efforts could compromise the criminal investigation or prosecution, or could result in the obstruction or destruction of evidence, or would otherwise be ineffective.

the DOJ requirements in that popehat thing are really loving comprehensive and make clear how big a deal this is (https://www.justice.gov/usam/usam-9-13000-obtaining-evidence ctrl-f for "420")

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/983439280587538432

I think today is good.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

:getin:

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is America, bucko

you pay for everything here
Reminds me of a quote from Gravity's Rainbow that has stuck with me

The context (I might gently caress up the details a bit since it's been a decade since I read this): It's near the end of WWII in Europe. You're reading through the perspective of a European worman when she has a brief aside people watching and considers an American, Marvy, conduct business with a prostitute, Monika.

quote:

She watches Marvy's face as he pays Monika, watches him in this primal American act, paying, more deeply himself than when coming, or asleep, or maybe even dying.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zachack posted:

I would assume that the desire only works when there's an inhibitor to applying, making each application more valuable. Having a free for all would presumably have led to a website where I can apply for 100 colleges all at once with one application, and I also get both a free yahoo account and a subscription to Cosmo.

as long as the application counts for the purposes of US News statistics, they want it

the countervailing issue is how many accepted people attend is also a US News statistic, which gives them a desire to be able to figure out who is serious about coming to the school

those rankings are no joke and colleges want to game them as hard as they can without the magizine cottoning onto how they do it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

the DOJ requirements in that popehat thing are really loving comprehensive and make clear how big a deal this is (https://www.justice.gov/usam/usam-9-13000-obtaining-evidence ctrl-f for "420")

ctrl-f

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Shifty Pony posted:

If anything, you’re not reading enough into it. Search warrant by the FBI means you’re going about your business. You get a knock on the door and it’s a guy in the a suit holding up a badge in one hand and a piece of paper in the other saying “This is the FBI. We are executing a search warrant. Here’s he warrant.” Then a train of FBI agents rolls in and starts taking everything not nailed down from files to computers to notebooks. They will open safes if they know you have one. For Manafort, they were literally photographing his entire collection of suits.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

canepazzo posted:

Press: "Mr. Trump did you know about the payments to Miss Daniels made by your lawyer"

Trump: "No. You'll have to ask mr. Cohen himself"

FBI: "ok"
Brilliant.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Trump will try the "I'm being audited so I can't present my tax records until it's done" defense here, too. :laugh:

At this point he should just say the FBI took the only copy he had.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
If Cohen had files relating to Trump/Mueller, does that change anything? Could privilege be affected if the lawyer is a criminal?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

moostaffa posted:

I'm guessing tax stuff

i would suspect that's not the case, not least because trump isn't going to give his taxes to his probably functionally illiterate goon he uses to strong-arm women. you use a guy who can hold numbers of more than two digits in his head for that, taxes are hard

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

boner confessor posted:

apparently the fire was in the home of a reclusive art dealer in declining health who wanted to move out of trump tower but couldn't because there were no buyers

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/08/nyregion/trump-tower-fire-art-collector.html

Wonder if he kicked over the lamp

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Your Taint posted:

If Cohen had files relating to Trump/Mueller, does that change anything? Could privilege be affected if the lawyer is a criminal?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attorney%E2%80%93client_privilege#When_the_privilege_may_not_apply

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

moostaffa posted:

I'm guessing tax stuff

Yeah that, money laundering, hinky foreign connections poo poo, gotta be something else there one would hope. Or it could just be a whole boatload of payoffs to other women in addition to Daniels, or payoffs for other, non cheating on your wife reasons.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Trump isn't even gonna know about the raid for a while. It's not gonna be on Fox

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

They raided his hotel room as well

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/983440250713313282

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I'm keeping my expectations managed, but anything that causes Trump to squirm, flail, and compound on his mistakes is A Good Thing.

Up to a point of course.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah that, money laundering, hinky foreign connections poo poo, gotta be something else there one would hope. Or it could just be a whole boatload of payoffs to other women in addition to Daniels, or payoffs for other, non cheating on your wife reasons.

iirc there are rumors trump has mob ties and that cohen is one of the big links there, which would be my guess

would also be the sort of thing that would be definitively outside mueller's authority but he might stumble upon and would be a big enough deal for the fbi/us attorney to go full barrel at it even though it's the president

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trump is going to at least try to throw Cohen under the bus and back it over him 10 or 20 times.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

In honor of the Cohen / Trump Tower Raid, I'm attempting to make some curry tonight. Here's my available ingredients:

- Chicken, cubed
- Premade coconut/korma curry sauce for a base
- Yellow onions
- Bell pepper
- Squash
- Pablano pepper
- Habanero pepper
- Extra coconut milk
- Garlic
- Jasmine rice

My gameplan: Cook the veggies over some olive oil until they're not crispy, then add the curry sauce base. Brown the chicken in separate pan for 6 minutes, then add to the sauce/veggies. Simmer the whole drat thing for 15 more minutes, tasting for heat and titrate the habanero in as required.

I haven't cooked raw chicken in the last 10 years. Everything else I think should be difficult to gently caress up.

Any tips/suggestions?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

drat. That FBI ship is air tight. We just found out about it now and they were searching the room this morning. :lol:

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Jumping out of the shadows to say that this is turning into my favorite infrastructure week, yet.

I'm going to have a nice cold beer tonight to celebrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Caros posted:

Would you trust Michael Cohen to turn over documents?

No, but there's a difference between my distrust and a Judge approving a breach of one of the most sacrosanct principles in the US legal system.

evilweasel posted:

you have a special privilege team of people not on the main investigation, it's specifically laid out in the DOJ requirements (which are no joke). and yes, they had to satisfy themselves a subpoena wouldn't do it:

Lol Trump delayed nominating anyone to the Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division until June, and Dems have so slow walked confirmations that to a career DoJ lawyer is manning the position and is likely the one who approved the search.

• Locked thread