Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Genji's super vulnerable when you E in, the little speed boost lets you try to walk out without blowing your D too early and getting blown up.

I don't think I've even seen someone play Genji in a long while, but that might be because I'm playing him all the time. If you can't beat them join them.

That different than how I play him. I normally D in off mount, chain AA and Q, W if appropriate and E out (hopefully through their team towards my team's backline). I'm not in a high league or anything but I think Genji is my best hero. I'll try E build later and see if I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
E in D out (or E again if you reset) is generally the way to go. You're giving up a ton of damage by not hitting with the tip of your E.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Usually the tip of the D gets more work done in my experience but whatever works for you

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

If they're some squish-lord I'll E in hit with the tip QQQQ and hopefully they're dead.

Otherwise I just AA and be real annoying, hop around with D, avoid big damage with W, until someone overstays then E to kill them.

Someone told me just be an annoying little bitch with Genji and that's sorta worked for me. Toughest part was when to use D-blade to wipe the enemy team and not get insta killed.

If there's a Tracer or a DVA or someone with a load of autoattacks I like going all in on deflect. Having Tracer just kill herself and her team by shooting you is p dope.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hate genji because he's a dumb weeb magnet more than I hate his abilities or whatever

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Help, I am addicted to playing Sonya. I feel bad because I mostly do it in QM and she is just so good that you can pretty much just wreck anyone without trying that hard.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Midnightghoul posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/BetterBombasticGoatSoonerLater I think this is a good example of recent character balance vs old character balance

Hahaha. This is perfect. What role does Valla even serve in the game when Hanzo exists. He does more damage, has a better CC ult, has a comparable escape, better waveclear... and so on. They just don't know what to do with new heroes anymore so they give them everything. Buy them and their skins!

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
7.5 range btw

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I like playing melee assassins and I'm finding the game pretty unfriendly towards them. Im not good at all so its probably more that than the game, but when the enemy team is all pokey with some lockdown, how are you supposed to engage without just get targeted immediately and deleted? Maybe this isn't such an issue outside of the uncoordinated QM games I tend to play.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

lucifirius posted:

7.5 range btw

Impossible. Raynor’s trait informs me that he shoots farther than other heroes.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Pretty much every Warrior except Chen has a reasonably common team composition that they fit into and that's super nice. I used to think that ETC was in a bad spot, but I have been getting (and fighting) better ETCs since those days and I have since realized that ETC's effectiveness is equal to the skill of the person playing him.

I wish Chen wasn't loving dumpster tier, though. If it's not Wandering Keg, another character does it better.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Chen is probably the hero that is legitimately bad at the moment. Everyone else has at least some super niche use. RIP Chen

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The icing on the cake is Chen appearing at the top of every single patch notes article :v:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Bombogenesis posted:

Chen is probably the hero that is legitimately bad at the moment. Everyone else has at least some super niche use. RIP Chen
The only heroes that haven't been picked in HGC this season Gazlowe, Murky, Raynor, the Butcher, and Zul'jin. Chen has actually been picked four times at HGC this season and won once! With a 25% winrate he's tied with Illidan and above Ana, Morales, Zagara, Sgt. Hammer, Nova, Nazeebo, Cho'gall, and Azmodan and just 2% below Valla.

RIP Illidan and Valla.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

beejay posted:

Hahaha. This is perfect. What role does Valla even serve in the game when Hanzo exists. He does more damage, has a better CC ult, has a comparable escape, better waveclear... and so on. They just don't know what to do with new heroes anymore so they give them everything. Buy them and their skins!

I mean Hanzo has a 46% overall winrate in HL and 50.7% in Master whereas Valla has 49/59% so I think that she must do something better than him :shrug:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean Hanzo has a 46% overall winrate in HL and 50.7% in Master whereas Valla has 49/59% so I think that she must do something better than him :shrug:

It's not how strong they are, it's how loving obnoxious they are to play against that makes Hanzo, Genji and Tracer such a goddamn cancer on the game.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

SirSamVimes posted:

she's probably not being picked by people who are going "just pick the Overwatch hero"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

it's positive reinforcement like this that keeps me playing :allears:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Shadowlyger posted:

It's not how strong they are, it's how loving obnoxious they are to play against that makes Hanzo, Genji and Tracer such a goddamn cancer on the game.

I mean I was responding to someone who was saying that Hanzo is better than Valla in every way.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Midnightghoul posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/BetterBombasticGoatSoonerLater I think this is a good example of recent character balance vs old character balance

https://clips.twitch.tv/LightBeautifulPonyJebaited

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Jesus loving Christ.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
FWIW, consider that Blizzard is actually reworking Hanzo in OW with scattershot being a focus because most OW hate playing against Hanzo and getting one shot. Then realize Hanzo will probably be one shotting people indefinitely in HotS.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Everyone cool is playing battle-royale games. Only old nerds play this.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm not trying to argue that this or that hero isn't bullshit because some clearly are, but something I've noticed in the team league games I've been playing lately is going up against teams who A). don't do much in terms of their bans or their picks to ameliorate that and B). then just sort of let us do whatever we want. Like I'm not gonna pretend that I'm some master hots player or whatever but when, on Battlefield of Eternity, the enemy team lets us have Hanzo, Thrall, Artanis, Rehgar, and Blaze so they can run a team with solo DPS Chromie, Johanna, Stitches, Lucio, and Nazeebo, at that point part of me is inclined to believe that the outcome isn't really the fault of the game so much.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Winrates don't mean poo poo by themselves, unless we're talking about extremely high/low values like Fenix. I'm guessing Valla is picked a lot less often, which means
1) drafts are better suited to her strengths and weaknesses while Hanzo sometimes gets slampicked in meh/bad matchups
2) people who draft her are good Vallas, because why else would you pick her right now?

People in this thread have been spamming Genji's horrible winrate since his release and we all know how that turned out.
Also people are upset because we've hit the point where

beejay posted:

They just don't know what to do with new heroes anymore so they give them everything. Buy them and their skins!

aka the LoL syndrome, at least for assassins

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 10, 2018

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/20762187059 Blizzard response to frustrations with the game

TLDR: Need to do better job communicating, will be doing blog post and possible AMAs, more in the future

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lmao so scatter arrow is just as bullshit garbage in this game as it is in Overwatch huh

Midnightghoul posted:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/20762187059 Blizzard response to frustrations with the game

TLDR: Need to do better job communicating, will be doing blog post and possible AMAs, more in the future

The AMA thing seems pointless. They won't answer any particularly hardball questions. They never do. They obviously don't have to but it'd show a bit more commitment if they answered the tougher questions

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 10, 2018

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Usually the tip of the D gets more work done in my experience but whatever works for you

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kerrzhe posted:

it's positive reinforcement like this that keeps me playing :allears:

That means you never get value out of his trait and thus you are actually quite terrible.

j/k :brrring:

Simple geometry.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 10, 2018

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

beejay posted:

If you can't see how that tweet itself is unnecessarily dramatic I dunno what to tell you. "I want to tell you guys things but people are mean so instead I'm taking my ball home."

It's boringly non-dramatic. Just a plain statement that any sort of engagement would be misconstrued. The weird interpretations of the tweet, yours included, are a perfect example.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Impossible. Raynor’s trait informs me that he shoots farther than other heroes.

Hanzo isn't a hero, he's a human piece of poo poo.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

That means you never get value out of his trait and thus you are actually quite terrible.

Does his suicide bomb ult count as him being dead?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Avalerion posted:

Does his suicide bomb ult count as him being dead?

It does trigger his trait, but I don't think it counts as a death on the scoreboard.

I really have no idea how it interacts with talents that depend on ally deaths like Alarak's Pure Malice or Raynor's A Card to Play (which goes to show how often those are picked).

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Macaluso posted:

Lmao so scatter arrow is just as bullshit garbage in this game as it is in Overwatch huh

Not really. That clip is really only possible in a few areas of the game. Hanzo got all 5 (7?) scatter shots and an additional 5-7 off pierce. That only happens if the enemy is near :v: complex geometry. You'd do half as much damage if they're near a normal wall or even in a normal corridor, the bend in the corridor is what caused the pierce ricochets to hit.

Also, you can't guarantee the full 5-7 at all times, in HotS that requires poor enemy positioning. In OW, you can scatter off the ground, which safe to say is more commonly adjacent to a hero than a wall.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I love loving with Chromie by popping unstoppable right before Temporal Loop goes off. Managed to get a quad-kill last night with Zarya by surprising them with a gravity surge when they expected me to get displaced.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
It also feels great when you've got the CC to stop chromie when she's trying to use her quick hearth talent. No chromie, you get to stay here with the big kids.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

It also feels great when you've got the CC to stop chromie when she's trying to use her quick hearth talent. No chromie, you get to stay here with the big kids.

Same with Fenix. Most people warp first after their shield is fully depleted so if you catch them before the warp goes through they’re basically a free kill.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Yet another reason to just slam pick Thrall every game :getin:

64% HL 66% TL winrate with him this season over 55 games

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 10, 2018

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Reminder that this skill has a baseline 8 second cooldown, costs only 40 mana, and is also the fastest way to kill bosses/mercs in the game.

The only non-ultimate ability I know of that comes close to matching Scatter Shot's damage potential is Gul'Dan's Corruption which does damage over time, has a 14 second cooldown, costs 80 mana, and is on a hero with actual trade-offs like not getting any escape abilities until level 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

New heroes are pretty well designed.