Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

RandomFerret posted:

Maybe that's because Sauron's powers were weak or whatever, but I think it's just because Bilbo didn't know it was anything special. It was just one part of this crazy adventure he went on, and there were so many more important things happening with kings and dragons and wizards that the ring was just a funny little souvenir.

I think the books do allude to it being more about Sauron--at the time Bilbo used the ring Sauron still had no idea that it had been recovered. After Gollum spilled his guts in captivity Sauron started looking for it and calling to it, and then its hold tightens. Bilbo owned it for decades without it having any real power over him, but he puts it on for a few seconds for a disappearing trick at his party and starts getting super possessive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The elvish theme in lothlorien is the Mordor theme in a major key, emphasizing how the Mordor minor key is a perversion of goodness.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Sauron is waiting for the ring to make itself known, and the ring was also waiting for Sauron to gain enough power to take over. So from both ends the ring/Sauron have no reason to gently caress with Bilbo during those years that he carried it. They were biding their time.

The ring is really smart, it knows that hobbits are actually incredibly resilient, and tries to find it's way into the hands of Boromir right away as soon as it has a chance. Men are easily corruptible. So having it in the hands of Bilbo all those years was a safe option, but at the beginning of LOTR it had decided that it was go time and a hobbit wasn't going to cut it anymore. Easiest way to get back to Sauron is just to corrupt a man and let him do all the work from there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
One of my favorite production stories is that the actor playing Theoden said that his armor had this really elaborate pattern inside where no one but him could see it, and costuming said that that was on purpose to make him feel more kingly as a character

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved that Sam was the Best Boy - basically totally uncorrupted throughout the whole trilogy, and the heart of the whole journey. The Ring likely didn't bother with him due to underestimating him, but it's still impressive. I especially liked "I can't carry your burdens for you Master Frodo... but I can carry you!" He was consistently awesome. :kimchi:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

In the book the Ring tries to tempt him and Sam nosells it harder than a door to door vacuum salesman

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You could argue that Sam was maybe THE most important bit of casting in the entire trilogy. Maybe second-most important right after Gandalf. Because the character could easily become annoyingly saccharine, it had to be played with absolute genuineness at all times. So it's no surprise they tapped Rudy for a role like that, and he really did carry the climax, and therefore the trilogy itself, on his shoulders both literally and figuratively.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Black August posted:

In the book the Ring tries to tempt him and Sam nosells it harder than a door to door vacuum salesman

Yeah it’s great. It tempts him with power and dominion and he’s just like ‘No thanks I want a little garden and a cozy home with a cute hobbit girl.’

It’s fairly easy to do a Marxist reading of the Lord of the Rings where the working class are the truly virtuous and the nobility - among which are Frodo and Bilbo, though they are only noble hobbits - alone possess the true capacity for sin on a grand scale.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Didn't Tolkien say that he considered Sam the main character of the trilogy? Jackson sure as poo poo wrote it that way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Christopher Lee said Sam was the main character.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Arcsquad12 posted:

Christopher Lee said Sam was the main character.

Christopher Lee also told Peter Jackson that the sound effect they were using for Wormtongue stabbing Saruman in the back was incorrect and should be quieter.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I loving love how everyone's surprised that the sallow, sinister acting man named GRIMA WORMTONGUE is secretly evil.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rough Lobster posted:

I loving love how everyone's surprised that the sallow, sinister acting man named GRIMA WORMTONGUE is secretly evil.

Everyone except Theoden already knows he's evil, they're the ones who gave him the nickname "wormtongue." But he's got the king's favor and the king's trust so he's untouchable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rough Lobster posted:

They knew he was evil, they just couldn't do anything about it because he controlled Théoden. Like for example, how Eomer gets immediately banished as soon as he draws his line in the sand.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
What's great about Samwise, one of the things the ring showed him when glory and honor didn't take, was that he would have a massive garden all to him self and be the greatest Gardner ever.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Also he wasn't always evil. "Wormtongue" is an addition, like a nickname, which came about after he took Theoden. Before Saurman poisoned him he was just Grima, the grungy weak dude who was in every other respect a decent servant.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My favourite production stories are that in the final battle with Lurtz in Fellowship the knife thrown at Aragorn wasn't supposed to be actually thrown so Viggo Mortensen really did chop a knife out of the air. Also when Aragorn kicks the helmet at the start of The Two Towers and yells thinking Merry and Pippin are dead Viggo Mortensen was yelling cos he broke his toe but channeled it into an awesome performance they kept in.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Yeah it’s great. It tempts him with power and dominion and he’s just like ‘No thanks I want a little garden and a cozy home with a cute hobbit girl.’

It’s fairly easy to do a Marxist reading of the Lord of the Rings where the working class are the truly virtuous and the nobility - among which are Frodo and Bilbo, though they are only noble hobbits - alone possess the true capacity for sin on a grand scale.

I was curious so I looked up the actual bit in the book.

quote:

As he stood there, even though the Ring was not on him but hanging by its chain about his neck, he felt himself enlarged, as if he were robed in a huge distorted shadow of himself, and vast and ominous threat halted upon the walls of Mordor. He felt that he had from now on only two choices: to forbear the Ring, though it would torment him; or to claim it, and challenge the Power that sat in its dark hold beyond the valley of shadows.

Already the Ring tempted him, gnawing his will and reason. Wild fantasies arose in his mind; and he saw Samwise the Strong, Hero of the Age, striding with a flaming sword across the darkened land, and armies flocking to his call as he marched to the overthrow of Barad-dur And then all the clouds rolled away, and the white sun shone, and at his command the vale of Gorgoroth became a garden of flowers and trees and brought forth fruit. He had only to put on the Ring and claim it for his own, and all this could be.

In that hour of trial it was the love of his master that helped most to hold him firm; but also deep down in him lived still unconquered his plain hobbit-sense: he knew in the core of his heart that he was not large enough to bear such a burden, even if such visions were not a mere cheat to betray him. The one small garden of a free gardener was all his need and due, not a garden swollen to a realm; his own hands to use, not the hands of others to command

For content about an equally groundbreaking movie, much of The Emoji Movie can be seen pretty easily as an allegory for suppression of homosexuality and gay conversion and coming out and stuff; at one point the hacker character looks up the main kid's birthday which is October 10th 2002, which coincides with National Coming Out Day and the fifteenth anniversary of the first public display of AIDS Memorial Quilt in Washington DC. Also, Gene's dad says "we'll always have Paris" which sounds like a random pop culture remark, but it is pretty fitting because both him and Rick from Casablanca are characters that appear to be completely neutral but actually have strong emotions and sentimentality that they keep hidden. Yes I'm putting spoiler tags for the emoji movie and yes I thought about it more than I should've.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

what r ur opinions on the goofy movie?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Didn't Tolkien say that he considered Sam the main character of the trilogy? Jackson sure as poo poo wrote it that way.
Well, it is kinda fitting seeing as he's the final editor of the Red Book and all.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

It's about society's resistance to acknowledge the existence of Bigfoot

(I was really drunk when I watched the emoji movie and I thought it would be funny if I wrote an SMG-level analysis of it but then when I got sober I realized it was actually not a good idea)

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

EmmyOk posted:

This comment implies that A Goofy Movie--an excellent film that gives a gag character one of the most interesting and realistic relationships depicted in a Disney movie, and also features some excellent 90s pop pastiches--is embarrassing/childish/not-worth-discussing in a way that's comparable to...The Emoji Movie.

I do not appreciate it.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Yeah its great. It tempts him with power and dominion and hes just like No thanks I want a little garden and a cozy home with a cute hobbit girl.

Its fairly easy to do a Marxist reading of the Lord of the Rings where the working class are the truly virtuous and the nobility - among which are Frodo and Bilbo, though they are only noble hobbits - alone possess the true capacity for sin on a grand scale.

A Marxist reading doesn't hold up, IMO. The working class being a source of nobility is much more in line with Tolkein's Catholicism. "The meek shall inherit the earth." kind of vibe.

The centerpiece of the ending is Aragorn being crowned as the One True King. He even finds a seedling of the White Tree in a symbolic mandate of heaven.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

A Goofy Movie is one of those films that's actually kinda hard for me to go back and watch. Just watching Goofy just get hurt so bad is tough to watch.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
A Goofy Movie is rad and Powerline is rad fight me.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Just rewatching Beverly Hills Cop.

The first time you see Axel pull up to his house, he doesn't just pull up. He mounts the kerb slightly then does a U-turn, ending up perfectly parked on the opposite side of the street. It's the sort of thing you'd only do if you knew the car and the street. I love it when films go the extra mile to convey things non-verbally.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Goofy movie is good. Dads be cool to your kids. Kids be cool to your dads. Namiste.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

EmmyOk posted:

I stopped reading the animated movie thread in CD to avoid Goofy Movie essays, plz no.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

EmmyOk posted:

My favourite production stories are that in the final battle with Lurtz in Fellowship the knife thrown at Aragorn wasn't supposed to be actually thrown so Viggo Mortensen really did chop a knife out of the air. Also when Aragorn kicks the helmet at the start of The Two Towers and yells thinking Merry and Pippin are dead Viggo Mortensen was yelling cos he broke his toe but channeled it into an awesome performance they kept in.

I remember reading that the sword trainer or whatever said Mortensen was the most gifted swordsman he'd ever known. He seems like a top notch dude who loves a joke too - in the wedding they filmed for Sam at the end of ROTK he showed up to help Sam get in character, then made out with Pippin. Amazing.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I remember reading that the sword trainer or whatever said Mortensen was the most gifted swordsman he'd ever known. He seems like a top notch dude who loves a joke too - in the wedding they filmed for Sam at the end of ROTK he showed up to help Sam get in character, then made out with Pippin. Amazing.

One of my favorite things from the behind-the-scenes stuff is not only did he buy his horse from the film, he bought the horse Arwen's stunt rider used and gave it to her because she couldn't afford it on her own.

He would also carry his sword everywhere, including to go out drinking with the hobbit actors and Orlando Bloom.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Viggo Mortensen is good as hell. loving fantastic in A History of Violence.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Memento posted:

Viggo Mortensen is good as hell. loving fantastic in everything he's been in

Tell me I'm wrong.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hidalgo

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I haven't seen that one so I can't comment.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Imagine if we got Stuart Townsend as Aragorn instead. Imagine!

And people say this is the worst timeline.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Memento posted:

Viggo Mortensen is good as hell. loving fantastic in A History of Violence.

Eastern Promises. That fight scene :stare:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It'll probably turn out he found and tamed a wild horse himself before filming

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Viggo is excellent in Hidalgo, doesn't mean the movie around him is up to the same level. And yes, I believe he also bought that horse at the end of shooting.

He's also great in The Road.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

At the end of The Road, he bought the road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know what you're talking about, Hidalgo is great beyond viggo. It has Omar Sharif for goodness sake.