Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Stanyer89 posted:

Averland Sunset with a 50:50 Yriel Yellow and Averland drybrush.

Beautiful.

Mind if I ask how you primed them?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Most of you nerds have already seen these but heres some more guys I painted

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Best part of that graphic? Hixson didn't even play Panascope. It was the combined might of Olloth, Booley, and myself.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Wow thank you for that clarification.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Best part of that graphic? Hixson didn't even play Panascope. It was the combined might of Olloth, Booley, and myself.

They may not have played against each other but they did fight each other a lot.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

General Olloth posted:

They may not have played against each other but they did fight each other a lot.

Accurate to the fluff then

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
A bunch of gaming buddies are moving over to 30K in the coming months,

Is there a good write up for Mechanicum somewhere? Interested in how they play and what to expect. How many models is reasonable in say, 1850/2000pt games etc

Thanks!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Yeast posted:

A bunch of gaming buddies are moving over to 30K in the coming months,

Is there a good write up for Mechanicum somewhere? Interested in how they play and what to expect. How many models is reasonable in say, 1850/2000pt games etc

Thanks!

Three flavors of mechanicum: Taghmata (base version, do-it-all), Ordo Reductor (artillery and thallax specialization), and lastly Legio Cybernetica (robots, robots, and robots specialization). All 3 mechanicum "factions" will look wildly different in terms of models at 2k.

Are you looking at any one of these in particular? I'd recommend going through the FW site and seeing what tickles your fancy looks-wise first.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mango Polo posted:

Three flavors of mechanicum: Taghmata (base version, do-it-all), Ordo Reductor (artillery and thallax specialization), and lastly Legio Cybernetica (robots, robots, and robots specialization). All 3 mechanicum "factions" will look wildly different in terms of models at 2k.

Are you looking at any one of these in particular? I'd recommend going through the FW site and seeing what tickles your fancy looks-wise first.

Must confess the clampy claws Ursarax look awesome, and I like the tentacle land trains.

The scyllax are also pretty cool.

Thanks for the heads up with the factions, I’ll look into it more.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Mechanicum are really powerful, there are Ordo Reductor builds that will wipe most legion armies from the table with ease. They're also home to most of the best miniatures in the 30k line.

Hencoe is our resident Mechanicum superfriend. If you can get past all of the rape jokes, the 1d4chan article is ok.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Yeast posted:

Must confess the clampy claws Ursarax look awesome, and I like the tentacle land trains.

The scyllax are also pretty cool.

Thanks for the heads up with the factions, I’ll look into it more.

Looks like you want Taghmata or Ordo Reductor then.

Taghmata are the "vanilla" version of 30k mechanicum, but benefit from sheer flexibility. E.g. no specific compulsory choices/restrictions when building the army like Cybernetic and Reductor have.
Ordo Reductor specialize in artillery, vehicles, and killy HQs. As a bonus they have access to a unique FOC and HQ that encourages their playstyle. They do not do robots well.

Triaros are you transports and the Krios Venator are you premier "gently caress poo poo up" tank. Ordo Reductor get to create their own custom terrifying artillery which you reprent with whatever's your favourite model.

The new Termite is also wildly good for Taghmata & Reductor because they can drop 12 hoplites and erase whatever vehicle you want with their grav spears.

I'd recommend joining our humble Slack channel if you want to chat and shoot ideas.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 11, 2018

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Oh and for the Scyllax, they work best (or even only) in Ordo Reductor, unfortunately.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Your Magos specialization also counts. Go with Lacrimae and recreate the living dead with tech-thralls, for example.

For me, Mechanicum is the faction where all the cool poo poo (Thallax, Castelax, thralls) is in Troops and the rest is kinda meh.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

JcDent posted:

Your Magos specialization also counts. Go with Lacrimae and recreate the living dead with tech-thralls, for example.

For me, Mechanicum is the faction where all the cool poo poo (Thallax, Castelax, thralls) is in Troops and the rest is kinda meh.

:wrong:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

JcDent posted:

Like TTerrible, I am extremely confused by this statement. There's so much cool poo poo in every slot!

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
You say that but there is the flying boring blob and the not heavy support myrmidons there so maybe he was being sarcastic?

Ursarax are the best thing ever though so I am confused.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Incy posted:

You say that but there is the flying boring blob and the not heavy support myrmidons there so maybe he was being sarcastic?

Please leave.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Incy posted:

It takes a minimum of good taste to be allowed to play Horus Heresy. You visibly lack the qualifications.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The best part of Reductor is the Ordinatus.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I like Hoplites

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Hopilites like Termites.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Owns

Owns

Owns

Will Own

Owns

Anacharis Scoria
Jan 5, 2018

The Xanophane Tyrant, The Fallen Master, Lord of the Nine Cohorts, The Apostate Magister

Mango Polo posted:

Owns

Owns

Owns

Will Own

Owns

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The entire Mechanicum line loving rules. I don't think I'll ever do a second legion, but I'd totally consider dark admech as a second army. Too bad they're going to be in Angelus alongside my dorks. :negative:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

This is the longest wait of my life. :negative:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

is that supposed to be kelbor hal

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It is Anacharis Scoria our lord and saviour.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

zeal posted:

is that supposed to be kelbor hal

Anacharis Scoria, aka the Xanophane Tyrant, the Fallen Master, Lord of the Nine Cohorts, the Apostate Magister, and unofficial mascot of our humble Slack channel.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
looks like a nerd

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

zeal posted:

looks like a nerd

A nerd that makes evil robots while wearing someone elses face and carries a stick that can gently caress up a Primarch. :eng101:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Broken Record Talk posted:

Anacharis Scoria, aka the Xanophane Tyrant, the Fallen Master, Lord of the Nine Cohorts, the Apostate Magister, and unofficial mascot of our humble Slack channel.

All these titles and he still calls Horus boss. :smug:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

totally consider dark admech as a second army. Too bad they're going to be in Angelus alongside my dorks. :negative:

Dark mechanicum in 30k and/or 40k form is on my day 1 purchase list. I don't even care what I'm in the middle of working on.

:negative:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Realising at last that His favoured son was truly lost to the corruption of Chaos, the Emperor finally gathered His full and awesome psychic power in the Immaterium and unleashed a 30 rack of pure Busch Light that pierced the gloating Horus' psychic defences and ripped his body apart.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

panascope posted:

All these titles and he still calls Horus "Daddy". :smug:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah MechCum chat. I love them because of all the opportunities for conversions.

I ally in mechanicum a lot because they're super flexible and can augment other armies well. If you 'cum solo they still have lots of ways to play. Back in the day Cibernetica was the king poo poo, but has since been nerfed to be the weakest of the 3 factions (largely carried by Scoria and the killer bees). Taghmata has 6 or more different builds and is the most flexible (I find that I use it the most for allies). Reductor is the strongest right now and you see a lot of net lists with it.

Their units tend to be tough and reliable, often with high toughness and invulnerable saves, but with limitations you can exploit like poor generic saves, no saves in melee, or lack of mobility. High strength high volume shooting like HBs and Autocannons are really good at mulching most of their troops. With some exceptions (Ursurax are brutal) they are ok in melee, but are mostly defensive in that regard. They are more of a shooting army. Low WS and low initiative means they hit hard, but often don't hit at all. They are better as tarpits and area denial. Their HQs are super tough and flexible, but expensive and often end up doing nothing all game.

They're pretty balanced if you know how to play against them, but they do have some stupid combos largely thanks to the last year of FW releases. Termites with hoplites insider are probably broken. Killer bees are too hard to kill. Spamming venator tanks won't make you any friends. You can take an all knight army with Scoria as it's HQ. They also have a number of cool, but less useful units you can take to tone things down.

Personally I'm working on the holy trinity army- an army of dark compliance with mechanicum allies :getin:

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

BULBASAUR posted:

Hoplites are probably broken.

FTFY