Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Krusty being Jewish is usually treated fairly respectfully, if I remember right. Smithers being gay is pretty bad looking back on it, many times the joke is just “Smithers is attracted to men, isn’t that weird?” but luckily it’s mostly a background aspect to his character and not the sole defining trait. I suppose people probably could get mad about Luigi and the Klav Kalash guy but they’re fairly minor characters at best, and there are multiple jokes about just how stereotypical they are. (I think Luigi even calls himself “an old Italian stereotype” at some point?)

The only other stereotype that sticks out to me as blatantly as Apu is Willie. I guess you could say Cletus but lol

If anything the whole "Smithers being gay" thing is a true product of its time because homosexuality was still taboo in media in the 90s. How they handled it is actually pretty drat progressive when it comes to 90s comedy and GLAAD thanked them for things like the Homer Sexual episode with John the gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Simpsons was also the first primetime cartoon to have a gay kiss in it, in the episode with Harvey Firestein?

Nov 24, 2014

Has recent Simpsons been this right-leaning in its politics? I’ve always pictured the show as fairly liberal, but I haven’t seen hardly any of the episodes from the last ten or fifteen years so :shrug:

Season 28 Episode 19 posted:

A softball match is being played to little athletic achievement between teams from the Indian Point and Springfield Nuclear Plants. After Homer Simpson collapses on the field, Mr. Burns and the other coach talk about how the market for nuclear energy will be lucrative forever and ever.

Mr. Burns heads right away to Yale University to endow a chair in nuclear plant management, only to learn that the entire student body is now made of "highly entitled wusses" from the Whiffenpoofs on down, and who follow left-wing views that appall Mr. Burns. He then finds out that running a university can earn him a lot of money from a member of the Skull and Bones society named Bourbon Verlander. Mr. Burns then cuts a deal with Bourbon and withdraws all of his financial support to Yale in order to set up his own branch of the for-profit university system.

Back at the power plant, Mr. Burns burns all of his Yale University memorabilia and tells Homer, Lenny and Carl about his new university. The teachers he chooses to run the university are the power plant workers.

Homer and the others start working as teachers, but Homer is not doing well with his students and Lisa Simpson (who was horrified that Homer became a professor mainly because he didn't take the responsibility of educating people seriously) offers him a DVD box set of inspirational teachers movies. After watching them, he gets better at teaching and Mr. Burns sells Homer to Bourbon.

Homer meets Neil deGrasse Tyson, Ken Jennings, Suze Orman, and Robert McKee, and sees them being introduced to a group of young female "students" who are actually life-like humanoid robots that will all get into Yale and earn "financial aid" that gets funneled directly to Bourbon.

Six months later, Homer ruins Bourbon's integration of the robots at Yale University with a microaggression that makes them all explode.

In the final scene, the teachers then start teaching Lisa, Marge, and Bart at the Simpson residence.
:barf:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
There was a character called Karl in the very early episodes of the show who was clearly gay that they wanted to bring back in season 14 when they had a whole episode revolving around gay people in the simpsons, but the voice actor declined since he thought the episode in question was just a bunch of hackneyed gay jokes compared to the previous one.

The Simpsons somehow went backwards. And it's not like Karl or John in Homer's Phobia were the most progressive depictions either, but it was still better.

E;

ExplodingSims posted:

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Simpsons was also the first primetime cartoon to have a gay kiss in it, in the episode with Harvey Firestein?

Oh yeah that was the actors name, and I think you're correct.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 9, 2018

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I thought Apu was handled extremely well during the golden years. He had negative attributes but they had nothing to do with his race or background, and in fact, any time that aspect of his character was brought up it was always in a positive way.

It started sliding real bad from the arranged marriage episode though and I can see how it would get offensive.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

You know what I think pisses me off most about the latest seasons of this show? It's not just that the jokes are lazy and the premise is tired, it's the loving smugness they seem to have developed in recent years like in that Lisa clip.

Obvious the season 10-20 years were a sharp decline in quality from the decade before, but when I catch those episodes I can sometimes still be amused by the fact the writers seemed to be getting sort of cynical and were obviously throwing dumb poo poo at the wall with the attitude of, "we're totally getting cancelled this year." It was more of a self-aware "yeah, this show is really getting bad, sorry!" Now it's... I'm not even sure how to describe it. They're not just incredibly boring and lazy, but also seem kind up their own rear end.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 10, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Drink-Mix Man posted:

You know what I think pisses me off most about the latest seasons of this show? It's not just that the jokes are lazy and the premise is tired, it's the loving smugness they seem to have developed in recent years like in that Lisa clip.

Obvious the season 10-20 years were a sharp decline in quality from the decade before, but when I catch those episodes I can sometimes still be amused by the fact the writers seemed to be getting sort of cynical and were obviously throwing dumb poo poo at the wall with the attitude of, "we're totally getting cancelled this year." It was more of a self-aware "yeah, this show is really getting bad, sorry!" Now it's... I'm not even sure how to describe it. They're not just incredibly boring and lazy, but also seem kind up their own rear end.

Maybe it's now lots of writers who grew up watching the show, and are smug that they're talented enough to write for their favorite show? Idk I'm just speculating and haven't bothered to look up the staff so I have no idea.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It’s been going so long now that the show runners keep reassuring themselves that the show is as good as ever just because they get a letter from some psychotic person that says so once in a while.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The whole scene was basically “stop complaining, snowflakes!!” I mean poo poo, Marge’s redone story specifically mentions cisgender and net neutrality, both of which are portrayed in somewhat mocking tones. It’s as though Marge (and thus the writers) are making fun of people who think nonstandard gender identity and people fighting for net neutrality are just being overly sensitive kids. Before starting, Marge even says that making something inoffensive is directly tied to removing the spirit and character from a story, as though a story can’t have those things without being offensive. And of course after the story is over, Lisa immediately calls out how such a story is boring and has no growth, as though any story that isn’t offensive means the characters can’t grow or be dynamic.

Has recent Simpsons been this right-leaning in its politics? I’ve always pictured the show as fairly liberal, but I haven’t seen hardly any of the episodes from the last ten or fifteen years so :shrug:

Matt Groening is extremely liberal but I have no idea about the current showrunners.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That loving clip has broken me

1. Apu didn't start out as inoffensive. He was always offensive. People on the show, people outside of the show, many many people had a problem with Apu from the start

2. Politically Correct Bedtime Stories is a book from 1994. It's a 24 year old joke.

I'm a defender of the show. I've stuck with it since before I was in grade school. I'm 32. I still keep up with the new episodes. I've hated on people in this same thread for talking ugly about nu-Simpsons. But this is loving it. That clip was an animated Trump tweet.

If it was true that nobody cared about or noticed how racist Apu was back in the early 90's and all this stuff was just moving goalposts and not thinking of the past in the proper context, I'd defend the show to the death. But that's a loving fantasy world!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 10, 2018

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

boy this really brought out the maga chuds on all the simpsons shitposting groups

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Matt Groening is extremely liberal but I have no idea about the current showrunners.

Al Jean has been the show runner for a long time now. Matt apparently is still pretty involved with the show.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

it kinda reminds me of the Penny Arcade guys when they had their stupid controversy in that they interpret this not as a misstep on their part but that the people attacking them are only interested in censoring them/are just bullies.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I love how in that clip Marge says "inoffensive and applauded." Like, okay, inoffensive is dubious but LOL at the idea people were "applauding" the Apu caricature in the 90s

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I love how in that clip Marge says "inoffensive and applauded." Like, okay, inoffensive is dubious but LOL at the idea people were "applauding" the Apu caricature in the 90s

by applauded they meant that people really liked him, not applauding the Simpsons for having a "progressive" character or whatever you're thinking.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is Mike Judge a racist for voicing Monsignor Martinez

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
ok i made the mistake of clicking a few video links in this thread and already my youtube account is filled with garbage simpsons video recommendations

how do i get to that page of youtube where you tell it to stop recommending you poo poo based on the specific videos you watched

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

khwarezm posted:

There was a character called Karl in the very early episodes of the show who was clearly gay that they wanted to bring back in season 14 when they had a whole episode revolving around gay people in the simpsons, but the voice actor declined since he thought the episode in question was just a bunch of hackneyed gay jokes compared to the previous one.

The Simpsons somehow went backwards. And it's not like Karl or John in Homer's Phobia were the most progressive depictions either, but it was still better.

E;

Oh yeah that was the actors name, and I think you're correct.

I was going to say it was actually Mission Hill but then I remembered this was a season 2 episode when the Simpsons was the only primetime cartoon. Mission Hill was the first that was between two gay people where it wasn't just a gag though.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Damo posted:

ok i made the mistake of clicking a few video links in this thread and already my youtube account is filled with garbage simpsons video recommendations

how do i get to that page of youtube where you tell it to stop recommending you poo poo based on the specific videos you watched

Clear your search and watch history, log out, clear cookies, log back in.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Damo posted:

If you click the three dots on a recommended video and choose "Not Interested" you can then click "Tell us why" and oftentimes you can select "I don't want recommendations based on this video <thumbnail of the video you watched>" or something similar. It might take you clicking "Not Interested" on a few videos before the option shows up, though.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Damo posted:

Clearing your watch history of the specific videos is far more effective than telling it you dont want the recc's.

Click the three lines beside the YouTube logo then History.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

It can be both

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

by applauded they meant that people really liked him, not applauding the Simpsons for having a "progressive" character or whatever you're thinking.

Do you think he was always offensive or people just made that poo poo up recently?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
i think the real question is: why does lisa have what looks to be framed and autographed photo of Apu on her nightstand. thats a little weird

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Did anyone actually watch The Problem with Apu? The Indian comedians mention that The Simpsons have racist caricatures of everyone, but their problem was that there were no other Indians on American TV, only Apu, so he became the de facto standard of an Indian to many Americans. That's why they all had people quoting "thank you, come again" at them. Plus of course the guy doing it is white.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

Did anyone actually watch The Problem with Apu? The Indian comedians mention that The Simpsons have racist caricatures of everyone, but their problem was that there were no other Indians on American TV, only Apu, so he became the de facto standard of an Indian to many Americans. That's why they all had people quoting "thank you, come again" at them. Plus of course the guy doing it is white.

apu is probably the only exposure to indian people most americans have so im sure its led to quite a bit of BS for actual indian people to put up with for the last 30 years

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I just saw a screen grab and I did LOL at the fact Apu's framed picture is signed, "Don't have a cow. -Apu"

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I just saw a screen grab and I did LOL at the fact Apu's framed picture is signed, "Don't have a cow. -Apu"

I'm pretty sure they used that as a joke in some of the earlier seasons. It seems kinda familiar...

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Is Mike Judge a racist for voicing Monsignor Martinez

Yes he took a job from a hardworking latino voice actor.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Maybe it's now lots of writers who grew up watching the show, and are smug that they're talented enough to write for their favorite show? Idk I'm just speculating and haven't bothered to look up the staff so I have no idea.

I think a lot of it comes from the general Family Guy-ization of Fox as well. The Simpsons were generally pretty progressive as a whole, but the show is certainly not without its flaws, but ever since Family Guy ruined everything became Fox's flagship the general type of humor has become much more crude. It's now kind of a race to the bottom to see who can be the most offensive.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Thank god for big bang theory giving us a positive indian voice in our media.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This meme has always bothered me because in this clip Skinner is searching for Bart, who is cutting school, meaning in this example the children actually are wrong

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

CJacobs posted:

This meme has always bothered me because in this clip Skinner is searching for Bart, who is cutting school, meaning in this example the children actually are wrong

You pressed you, referring to me, that is incorrect. The correct answer is you.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
growing up i always thought apu was some strange mirror held up to the absurdities of American culture at the time tho I haven't watched any of the show in ages so maybe I'm misremembering

Is he even still on the show or did he die on his way back to India?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CJacobs posted:

The quote is referring to all the lame places Skinner thinks kids would cut school to go to so the use of the meme is correct mostly.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

If you seriously think apu is an example of a racist stereotype I don't even know what to say

Indian: the most oppressed minority. Just ask the Bangladeshi people!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What even would an offensive Indian stereotype even be if Apu isn’t it? He’s like the defining one.

They knew it even way back in season 1 but went along with it just because they thought it was still funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Is it because he owns a convenience store? I don't get it, is that a negative trait?

He's consistently shown to be a hard worker with a lot of success

The fact that he price gouges is because he owns a loving 711 and that's how they operate, it's got nothing to do with his ethnicity