Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
What a time to be alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Your Own Butt attacks.
Your Own Butt critically hits!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Your Own Butt attacks.
Your Own Butt critically hits!

Power Word: Pounded By

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
https://twitter.com/pidgebbi/status/982782867582390272

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
:siren: New blogpost is up for Let Thrones Beware

Today's topic: Breaking News Alert - Let Thrones Beware Playtest 008 is Live

This week, I'm interrupting our regularly scheduled blogcast to bring you this breaking news - a new version of the Let Thrones Beware beta has dropped! Playtest 007 has been put to bed, and DriveThruRPG is updated with Beta 008.

Updates to Beta 008 include:
  • Overhaul of adversary combat AI and updated powers
  • Layout and formatting significantly improved
  • A new class feature system
  • Loads of rules clarifications

Breaking News Alert - Let Thrones Beware Playtest 008 is Live

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 9, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Wizard King is a Dick.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Foglet posted:

What a time to be alive.

The best bit is where Matt Forbeck (ie Brave New World) offers to help out..

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Has anyone played the Lightseekers TCG? A bunch of channels I'm subscribed to started posting a bunch of stuff about it, and at this point, I'm curious.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Has anyone played the Lightseekers TCG? A bunch of channels I'm subscribed to started posting a bunch of stuff about it, and at this point, I'm curious.

I tried it at PAX East, and I enjoyed it. The whole idea of the cards being long-term effects that change as they tick down is a cool idea that makes you think a few turns ahead in a different way than in most TCGs.

For those who haven't seen it, the main card is the "Buff", which looks like this:

At the start of your turn, every Buff you have rotates counter-clockwise, which changes the number in the upper-left corner. Then the Buff activates, and the effect triggers using the number in the corner, with "X" meaning "zero". If the card rotates to a blank corner or goes through a full rotation, it's discarded.

So the above card does nothing on its first turn, deals 2 damage on the next two turns, then is discarded on the fourth turn (assuming its card text isn't triggered).

e: oh, and buffs activate in the order they were played, so you do have to respect an order of operations when you're triggering effects.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 9, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When I read articles about old video games like Maniac Mansion, The Uninvited, and Dr. Chaos, I wonder what would have happened if early dungeoncrawl gaming had gone in a "haunted house" direction. TSR did some games in other genres that often suffered from not being able to break away from OD&D's format, but AFAIK they never did anything horror-focused until Ravenloft. Seems like a natural fit.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Someoen gm me a fun setting as I am trapped inside a cycle of malaise

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Plutonis posted:

Someoen gm me a fun setting as I am trapped inside a cycle of malaise

Modern day US, but all these movies really happened

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
A distinct lack of 30 Days of Night and A Perfect Getaway.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

shouldnt maine be like 20 king movies at the same time

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I'm trying to think of Close Encounters of the Third Kind as a horror film and my brain just can't square that circle.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Plutonis posted:

shouldnt maine be like 20 king movies at the same time

20 king movies, none of them good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Falstaff posted:

I'm trying to think of Close Encounters of the Third Kind as a horror film and my brain just can't square that circle.

Think of it from the kid's point of view. Their dad ran away into a spaceship without even saying goodbye and left the planet forever

slap me and kiss me posted:

The Mist was great

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

And all of them happening in Maine.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I loved all the 30+ king movies I watched and the fifty books he wrote

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Guy Goodbody posted:

Think of it from the kid's point of view. Their dad ran away into a spaceship without even saying goodbye and left the planet forever

The Mist was great

I thought that the only redeeming thing about the Mist was the last 45 seconds of the film. Better than the book.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I am angry that the amityville horror is not in michigan

Serf
May 5, 2011

the new It movie owned

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Illinois should be Candyman, come the gently caress on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm gunna kick ur @ss for talking smack about Christine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I thought that the only redeeming thing about the Mist was the last 45 seconds of the film. Better than the book.

I loosely recall King saying his reaction to the movie's ending was basically 'I wish I'd thought of that.'

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I am deeply offended that all of New York is a lovely fake ghost story from god drat Long Island.

At least give us The Poughkeepsie Tapes or something, jeez.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If we're piling on, I can't believe Virginia got Mama instead of Silence of the Lambs. Okay, the whole movie isn't set in Virginia, but Mama?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I also feel bad for Michigan. I had to google what the gently caress Mr Jingles is and I already forgot it just writing this.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Illinois should be Candyman, come the gently caress on.

More than Halloween?

MORE THAN HALLOWEEN?!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fr0id posted:

More than Halloween?

MORE THAN HALLOWEEN?!

Halloween was filmed in LA. It takes place in Illinois but Candyman was filmed in Cabrini Green and around Chicago. I love Halloween too but I just think Candyman is a better choice in terms of state/movie association.

I'm also disappointed that Florida doesn't have a better film.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Candyman is way too tell-don't-show.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
CHARACTER CONCEPT: a Warforged Bard named Gender.

Because Gender is a performative construct!!!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Boooooooo
Booooooooooooo
Boo this person
booooooo

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LogicNinja posted:

CHARACTER CONCEPT: a Warforged Bard named Gender.

Because Gender is a performative construct!!!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
i liked it

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

Candyman is way too tell-don't-show.

Still better than Montana. That one guy does a command performance at the end though.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Kansas should be Carnival of Souls, come on.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

If people want to see New York with a better film, then maybe it should be Get Out.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Ron Edwards is working on a seminar thing he calls "Finding D&D," where he basically makes the case for D&D culture being a religion of sorts. I'm still watching and digesting it, but it's really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmQz7-qe_3s

Also I like how he said that when he first started publishing in 2000, stores would ask him why it wasn't d20. Two years later, they had so much unsold product that they would ask, "It's not d20, is it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Ewen Cluney posted:

Ron Edwards is working on a seminar thing he calls "Finding D&D," where he basically makes the case for D&D culture being a religion of sorts. I'm still watching and digesting it, but it's really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmQz7-qe_3s

Also I like how he said that when he first started publishing in 2000, stores would ask him why it wasn't d20. Two years later, they had so much unsold product that they would ask, "It's not d20, is it?"

You can run anything in D20!

I'm reminded of that roleplaying game for the awesome comic The Red Star. THat was D20 and was a loving mess.