Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Critical Role did a one shot of Honey Heist when they needed a filler episode if you want to see it in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I’m really happy that there’s an entire genre of games based on Trollbabe now.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
http://whothefuckismydndcharacter.com/

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

kidkissinger posted:

Purely for theoretical purposes, what is the most broken spell combo a 6th level wizard can hope to achieve?

As in, character level 6 Wizard, or character level 11?

For 6 you've got Fireball and Lightning Bolt as highly effective nukes, Hypnotic Pattern as the king of AoE crowd control, and you could Haste a good Rogue build to let them Sneak Attack twice per round.

For 11 you can Magic Jar yourself into the body of a powerful humanoid to have 300 or so HP plus high stats, Contingency a Globe of Invulnerability or a Polymorph for emergencies, keep an earth elemental or other nifty creature at your service with Planar Binding, you've got Wall of Force as the ultimate battlefield control for enemies without teleportation, Mass Suggestion for all your out of combat social needs, and then the overall narrative control of other 6th and 5th level spells.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Haste would not grant an extra sneak attack!
:goonsay: *shrieking*

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Would folks mind critiquing the encounters I have in mind for the first session? As I say I've never run 5e before.

Without going into much detail, in the first session a string of thefts from the party's respective temples puts them on the trail of a mad alchemist.

Encounter 1 - While following one lead or another the party face some animals mutated by the alchemist's discarded potions - 1x Swarm of Rats CR 1/4, 2x Giant Rat CR 1/8

Encounter 2 - The party catch up to a couple of his hired goons - 1x Bandit CR 1/8, 1x Thug CR 1/2

Encounter 3 - Tracking the alchemist to his lair, he faces them with the aid of a creature formed from a gloopy potion - 1x Acolyte CR 1/4, 1x Mud Mephit CR 1/4

Encounter 4 - Panicking, the alchemist unleashes his most fearsome test subject to stall the party while he tries to concoct one last potion to escape - 1x Giant Spider CR 1

There's also gonna be some sleuthing and at least one foot chase through busy city streets.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 9, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

As in, character level 6 Wizard, or character level 11?

For 6 you've got Fireball and Lightning Bolt as highly effective nukes, Hypnotic Pattern as the king of AoE crowd control, and you could Haste a good Rogue build to let them Sneak Attack twice per round.

For 11 you can Magic Jar yourself into the body of a powerful humanoid to have 300 or so HP plus high stats, Contingency a Globe of Invulnerability or a Polymorph for emergencies, keep an earth elemental or other nifty creature at your service with Planar Binding, you've got Wall of Force as the ultimate battlefield control for enemies without teleportation, Mass Suggestion for all your out of combat social needs, and then the overall narrative control of other 6th and 5th level spells.

What kind of powerful Humanoid would you use Magic Jar on. You lose access to any class feature like abilities. And Humanoids don't tend to have super impressive stat lines with 300ish hp.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

Would folks mind critiquing the encounters I have in mind for the first session? As I say I've never run 5e before.

Without going into much detail, in the first session a string of thefts from the party's respective temples puts them on the trail of a mad alchemist.

Encounter 1 - While following one lead or another the party face some animals mutated by the alchemist's discarded potions - 1x Swarm of Rats CR 1/4, 2x Giant Rat CR 1/8

Encounter 2 - The party catch up to a couple of his hired goons - 1x Bandit CR 1/8, 1x Thug CR 1/2

Encounter 3 - Tracking the alchemist to his lair, he faces them with the aid of a creature formed from a gloopy potion - 1x Acolyte CR 1/4, 1x Mud Mephit CR 1/4

Encounter 4 - Panicking, the alchemist unleashes his most fearsome test subject to stall the party while he tries to concoct one last potion to escape - 1x Giant Spider CR 1

Assuming 4 level 1 characters with minimal D&D experience/metagaming?

Those look like a pretty good set of intro encounters.

My suggestions is to keep some stat blocks for a bump up or down of CRs for some of the encounters. If they whiff hard in Encounter 1, maybe It is a 1x Bandit 1/8 CR and a 1x Thug 1/4 CR. If they're cruising through with out a challenge maybe it is a 1/4CR and a 1/2 CR.

It can help you zero in on the party's effectiveness.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Xae posted:

Assuming 4 level 1 characters with minimal D&D experience/metagaming?

Those look like a pretty good set of intro encounters.

My suggestions is to keep some stat blocks for a bump up or down of CRs for some of the encounters. If they whiff hard in Encounter 1, maybe It is a 1x Bandit 1/8 CR and a 1x Thug 1/4 CR. If they're cruising through with out a challenge maybe it is a 1/4CR and a 1/2 CR.

It can help you zero in on the party's effectiveness.

3 level one characters with significant RPG experience but not so much with 5e as far as I know.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Dameius posted:

Critical Role did a one shot of Honey Heist when they needed a filler episode if you want to see it in action.

Nice, thanks! We’re gonna do that and 4 Sherlock Holmes and a Vampire at a future game night.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dr Snofeld posted:

3 level one characters with significant RPG experience but not so much with 5e as far as I know.

If it's 3 level ones, these encounters should even let them level up at the end of the session. Anyway it does not seem too bad Be a bit wary of the Thug however. They are surprisingly tough.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

If it's 3 level ones, these encounters should even let them level up at the end of the session. Anyway it does not seem too bad Be a bit wary of the Thug however. They are surprisingly tough.

I'm doing milestone levelling, and my intention is to get up to level 2 after one session and then level 3 not too long after, so that the monk and paladin get access to more of their toys without much delay.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm doing milestone levelling, and my intention is to get up to level 2 after one session and then level 3 not too long after, so that the monk and paladin get access to more of their toys without much delay.

Thats fine. The game pretty much says Level 1 and 2 are supposed to be one session affairs. Everything else a bit longer.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
sucks to be the guy who is weaker than a swarm of rats...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thats fine. The game pretty much says Level 1 and 2 are supposed to be one session affairs. Everything else a bit longer.

Huh! Where does it say that? My level 2 dragged on for a while, so it would have been nice to have seen that guidance.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

MonsterEnvy posted:

What kind of powerful Humanoid would you use Magic Jar on. You lose access to any class feature like abilities. And Humanoids don't tend to have super impressive stat lines with 300ish hp.

Magic Jar posted:

Once you possess a creature’s body, you control it. Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the creature, though you retain your alignment and your Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You retain the benefit of your own class features. If the target has any class levels, you can’t use any of its class features.

You retain access to your class features like spell casting, archetype features, armor/weapon/save proficiencies, and Hit Points. Noting that HP is a per-level class feature that also includes your CON bonus, then as a level 11 Wizard your HP when taking control of say that Warlord from Volo's would be:

27d8+108+11d6+44 ~ 331 hp

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Use magic jar on a lycanthrope for sweet weapon immunity.

If you are a 6th level necromancer, the undead legions start coming online.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

How simple would it be to suddenly start using milestone leveling over XP basically mid campaign? Like we been using XP for 3 levels now and since we have a large, schedule weird group i figure it might be easier to just essentially be arbitrary/have plot based level ups instrad having to constantly split XP 5/6 ways.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Pretty simple. Go "Ok, stop tracking XP" and sometimes go "Ok, you guys did something cool, let's all level up."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

How simple would it be to suddenly start using milestone leveling over XP basically mid campaign? Like we been using XP for 3 levels now and since we have a large, schedule weird group i figure it might be easier to just essentially be arbitrary/have plot based level ups instrad having to constantly split XP 5/6 ways.

I've done that with my Phandelver game with new players. Started with three and had three more join midway through the redbrand hq. Basically let them level with xp for a bit and once the first three players got to level 3 I introduced a milestone for them and let the others xp to 3. I increased the encounter difficulty for six players since they were stomping everything and nearly killed everyone in a huge battle just to get in the front door of the cave. Then they earned level 4 across the board after that win.

Looking forward to them reaching my supercharged X-Men danger room halfway through the mine as well as a Venomfang rematch at the ocean room. Someone is going to die.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Pretty simple. Go "Ok, stop tracking XP" and sometimes go "Ok, you guys did something cool, let's all level up."

Just talk it over with the players first so there are no surprises.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
My people loving love updating their experience points. I want to do milestones because I'm lazy but they just enjoy it so much

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Xae posted:

Just talk it over with the players first so there are no surprises.

I've been kind of tempted to experiment with players fulfilling character specific plot points for a milestone rather than all of them leveling up. I want to try this after they complete the intro adventure because it will be incentive for them to help each other complete "side quests" and tie their individual character's development to fulfilling their purpose at any given time. I usually give inspiration for big events but the reward isn't that amazing when you consider someone just liberated their home town that they love more than anything from a dragon.

Novum posted:

My people loving love updating their experience points. I want to do milestones because I'm lazy but they just enjoy it so much

Yeah same, but I argued that they were out of whack and maybe we can bring it back, but it was going to make more sense for them to earn level 4 before we proceed. Then I threw a small war at them and they felt like they'd more than earned it.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I will never understand the love for tracking numbers. Like, level is already a number I have to track. Why would I want to track something that exists purely to alter a level that I have to track already?

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I will never understand the love for tracking numbers. Like, level is already a number I have to track. Why would I want to track something that exists purely to alter a level that I have to track already?
I think a lot of it has to do with the appearance of them retaining some measure of "control" over their progression. Like if they keep track of their own XP they make sure the DM isn't cheesing them or something.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Though of course in this edition xp is totally arbitrary so you can de facto implement milestones by adjusting xp values to track to the same pace, it's just more tedious for everyone involved.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I don't get it either, but some people are just super attached to it. Like they're afraid they'll be level X too long, or it'll take too long to hit level Y.

CaPensiPraxis posted:

Though of course in this edition xp is totally arbitrary so you can de facto implement milestones by adjusting xp values to track to the same pace, it's just more tedious for everyone involved.

Pre-5e plenty groups seemed to go milestone after a while.

Tracking XP for kills, quests, good RP, clever ideas, etc, etc just lead to a giant gently caress off spreadsheet until the campaign either level locked or went pseudo-milestone.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

kidkissinger posted:

Purely for theoretical purposes, what is the most broken spell combo a 6th level wizard can hope to achieve?

I wouldn't take it as a per-level spell usually, but if you can copy it off a scroll or spellbook (beg your DM):

Phantom Steed lets you summon a horse that has a speed of 100feet per round. It will fade away if it gets hit, though.
Also note that your horse can dash, so really it has an effective speed of 200 feet per round as long as you don't do anything else fancy with it.
You can summon it as a ritual, and it lasts an hour, so theoretically you can keep it up indefinitely by doing a ritual to re-summon it just as the last one ends. Either way you can probably summon one ten minutes before you get into any combat trouble.

Anyway at this point you're a wizard who can move 200 feet per round, so at that point unless the battlefield is particularly constrained or the enemy has an effective front-line, you can zip into the battlefield, cast any spell you like, then zip way out of danger and almost nothing will be able to chase you far enough to hit you.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Xae posted:

Tracking XP for kills, quests, good RP, clever ideas, etc, etc just lead to a giant gently caress off spreadsheet until the campaign either level locked or went pseudo-milestone.
It is just not that hard. This is like when people sucked up all the WotC sales/marketing 3e THAKKO IS WAKKO! bullshit because subtracting small numbers was too hard.

Its true that it also matters a lot less. (As in the old timey xp tables were different per-class.)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

FRINGE posted:

It is just not that hard. This is like when people sucked up all the WotC sales/marketing 3e THAKKO IS WAKKO! bullshit because subtracting small numbers was too hard.

Its true that it also matters a lot less. (As in the old timey xp tables were different per-class.)

It's not whether it's "hard" or not, it's how much work you're putting in and what you're getting out of it. And XP is pure busy work.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Thaco does kinda suck though, i just want to hit a man with a big sword and enjoy myself.

I do miss speed factor for initiative rolls though

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Novum posted:

at the end of a session just ask them how much ex they need to level up and start giving them bs amounts when it gets to where you want them to level suddenly they have what they need plus like 50

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Typing numbers into a spreadsheet isn't hard. It is just dumb and time consuming.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

bewilderment posted:

I wouldn't take it as a per-level spell usually, but if you can copy it off a scroll or spellbook (beg your DM):

Phantom Steed lets you summon a horse that has a speed of 100feet per round. It will fade away if it gets hit, though.
Also note that your horse can dash, so really it has an effective speed of 200 feet per round as long as you don't do anything else fancy with it.
You can summon it as a ritual, and it lasts an hour, so theoretically you can keep it up indefinitely by doing a ritual to re-summon it just as the last one ends. Either way you can probably summon one ten minutes before you get into any combat trouble.

Anyway at this point you're a wizard who can move 200 feet per round, so at that point unless the battlefield is particularly constrained or the enemy has an effective front-line, you can zip into the battlefield, cast any spell you like, then zip way out of danger and almost nothing will be able to chase you far enough to hit you.
Its supposed to act more or less like a horse isnt it? So you either spend your attention controlling it, or it does what it wants.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Xae posted:

Typing numbers into a spreadsheet isn't hard. It is just dumb and time consuming.
As a spreadsheet user who hates the loving things I agree, but no one ever needed one when per-PC XP was an actually necessary thing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't hate managing xp because it's not that hard but there are more momentous occassions for a level up than "you killed your hundredth knob goblin"

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FRINGE posted:

Its supposed to act more or less like a horse isnt it? So you either spend your attention controlling it, or it does what it wants.
I'd assume it acts like a normal mount, and it doesn't consume your action to direct a mount.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

JBP posted:

I've been kind of tempted to experiment with players fulfilling character specific plot points for a milestone rather than all of them leveling up.

Do NOT do this. Levels are incredibly important and doing this poo poo is going to cause you mechanical headaches. D&D is not the kind of game where you can do this. This is either going to end up not mattering at all, or disproportionately boosting spellcasters because they get a lot more out of levels than non-casters.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NachtSieger posted:

Do NOT do this. Levels are incredibly important and doing this poo poo is going to cause you mechanical headaches. D&D is not the kind of game where you can do this. This is either going to end up not mattering at all, or disproportionately boosting spellcasters because they get a lot more out of levels than non-casters.

I was thinking more that it would be plot points both combined and solo because I always have characters a level under or whatever. I get what you mean and haven't thought about it in detail. Maybe as a catch up mechanic or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

FRINGE posted:

It costs no action or bonus action to control a mount at all.
Once a paladin can Find Steed they can cast it on a free night and spend the rest of their days mounted too, there's not really a downside.