Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I didn't know it was possible to want something this bad

$170 for the moving picture version...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Mordja posted:

Discussion prompt: how do you play video games? Do you play them one at a time, or do you have multiple going at once?
I have a pretty big problem when it comes to dabbling in games, because it'll make me lose momentum in whatever I was playing before and then I'll stop playing the game I dabbled in, leaving me in a void. I've been better about focusing on one game at time, or at least one big title per console at a time. I recently beat The Surge and beat Mario Odyssey last night, so I'm kind of moving on to smaller titles like Golf Story, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, and Crossing Souls, before looking over my backlog for another big title to knock out. I started Ni No Kuni 2 but my wife showed some interest in the game so I save that for when she's around, but I don't know how well that will work in the long run.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speaking of Myst, are there any good Myst-likes out there? Not counting Obduction which I've already played.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordja posted:

Discussion prompt: how do you play video games? Do you play them one at a time, or do you have multiple going at once?

I usually have multiple going at once, but I sometimes get frustrated with this and try to just focus on one game at a time.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

babypolis posted:

people talk about how the plot of 2 was so prophetic and whatnot but the game gets it completely wrong. in it the bad guys want to control information by centralizing it, which is basically impossible. modern propaganda actually works in the opposite way by forming decentralized internet communities with their own twisted worldviews that become impervious that all different views and facts

They outline exactly that as the course information society will take if humanity is left to its own devices though.

e: not to say kojima's writing is deep or perceptive, since one it's generally clunky as all hell and two it's just a cludge of whatever books and movies he liked recently. Nothing wrong with that, but he's entirely expressing existing ideas and aesthetics he likes in a pop medium.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 10, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, The Patriots were actually trying to prevent the rise of fake news and Internet bubbles.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they should have tried to prevent the literal rise of a nuclear warhead fired by ocelot at whatever one the satellite was. gw maybe

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Asinine ideas conveyed poorly

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Today I saw gameplay of that new Spiderman game and it gave me serious Spiderman 2 vibes.

However:

https://twitter.com/CosmicEmerald/status/981567780033105920

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I went looking for battle spritesheets of Bart from Xenogears but instead I found this

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY5mBERhSDg

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

I went looking for battle spritesheets of Bart from Xenogears but instead I found this

I've never played Xenogears but that's a bad look, i think

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Looper posted:

yeah, cause everyone knows its barts right eye that has the patch

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He’s so orange

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

He’s so orange

he's from the desert

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

babypolis posted:

his writing is nonsense. sometimes its fun nonsense, like in mgs 1 and 3, and sometimes its boring bad nonsense, like mgs 2 and 4

people talk about how the plot of 2 was so prophetic and whatnot but the game gets it completely wrong. in it the bad guys want to control information by centralizing it, which is basically impossible. modern propaganda actually works in the opposite way by forming decentralized internet communities with their own twisted worldviews that become impervious that all different views and facts

:holymoley:

The end of MGS2 very specifically states their plan is not about controlling content, but creating context. Consider the recent slaughter in Palestine - IDF snipers blasting unarmed protestors, some of them children, and how it is filtered through American news outlets such as the NYT as a “clash,” because, you know, being shot at from hundreds of yards away is the furthest thing from a clash. This should be obvious, and yet, the context is created which makes the information entirely untrue.

You’re also posting this on a dying message board as discourse is centralized to a limited few privately owned social media platforms that directly collaborate the government and various intelligence agencies.

As far as “nonsense,” think about the surreal onslaught of news consumed at such a rapid pace in our modern era. It’s actively too much for one person to keep up with and is filled with so many conflicting and inconsistent narratives and characters whilst possessing a surrealness that is impossible to truly comprehend in its entirety.

What Metal Gear Solid 2 makes clear in its entirety between the mix of real world military hardware and the surrealist nature of its encounters, characters, and eventual climax, is a prediction that rings entirely true: the misinformation age will seem incomprehensible and entirely surreal, as we lack a proper framework to process and critically engage with new information as it is filtered through algorithms and presented in such a manner to yet again, not control content, but to create context - for the maintenance of the political status quo.

Kojima’s success and lifelong fame for driving the medium forward was his ability to intertwine these political ideals into a young medium which while considered simple children’s entertainment, was able to introduce his higher critical ideals to audiences that otherwise might never engage with - especially in nations that have strict controls on outside media.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

The end of MGS2 very specifically states their plan is not about controlling content, but creating context. Consider the recent slaughter in Palestine - IDF snipers blasting unarmed protestors, some of them children, and how it is filtered through American news outlets such as the NYT as a “clash,” because, you know, being shot at from hundreds of yards away is the furthest thing from a clash. This should be obvious, and yet, the context is created which makes the information entirely untrue.

You’re also posting this on a dying message board as discourse is centralized to a limited few privately owned social media platforms that directly collaborate the government and various intelligence agencies.

As far as “nonsense,” think about the surreal onslaught of news consumed at such a rapid pace in our modern era. It’s actively too much for one person to keep up with and is filled with so many conflicting and inconsistent narratives and characters whilst possessing a surrealness that is impossible to truly comprehend in its entirety.

What Metal Gear Solid 2 makes clear in its entirety between the mix of real world military hardware and the surrealist nature of its encounters, characters, and eventual climax, is a prediction that rings entirely true: the misinformation age will seem incomprehensible and entirely surreal, as we lack a proper framework to process and critically engage with new information as it is filtered through algorithms and presented in such a manner to yet again, not control content, but to create context - for the maintenance of the political status quo.

Kojima’s success and lifelong fame for driving the medium forward was his ability to intertwine these political ideals into a young medium which while considered simple children’s entertainment, was able to introduce his higher critical ideals to audiences that otherwise might never engage with - especially in nations that have strict controls on outside media.

Dan Ryckert parachute account spotted.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MGS2 is incredible because you can get that guy to pee on you.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

My favorite aspect of being live in 2018 is that outside of Kojima and Yoko Taro, every single loving “auteur” in games has absolutely eaten poo poo, from the Romeros to Molyneux to Spector to CliffyB to Roberts to goddamn Lord British. They were all one hit wonders and without a solid team they were never able to reach those same heights. It’s honestly astounding.
I don't know about all of those but Molyneux, Spector and Bleszinski had several hit series. Roberts and Garriott are certainly primarily known for one series but had more than enough successful titles in them that I'd find it hard to call them one hit wonders. Don't even know what the argument against Spector is since he did it on different development teams.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Metal Gear Solid 2 probably has the best story in the history of video games. That or Automata

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Each of them a classic

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Looper posted:

As an extra layer of gross, they're cousins.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't know about all of those but Molyneux, Spector and Bleszinski had several hit series. Roberts and Garriott are certainly primarily known for one series but had more than enough successful titles in them that I'd find it hard to call them one hit wonders. Don't even know what the argument against Spector is since he did it on different development teams.

Yeah, bad choice of phrase sure, but I mean now, after the late 90s to early 00s, none of those guys are close to relevant and their output is incredibly embarrassing to witness.

Spector made two Epic Mickey bombs and now fingerwags about violence in games. Roberts is running an outright scam. Garriot is selling his blood and launched the worst wannabe MMO asset flip trash I’ve seen in years. The Romeros make?/made? Facebook crap. CliffyB is trying to cash in on Fortnite’s popularity after launching Overwatch For Men and getting burned. Molyneux had... “not on rails,” and Godus bombing to hell and back. None of the western auteurs that used to be titans have fallen so far from grace it’s just tragic.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
MGS2 has the worst setting, codec team, bosses and moment-to-moment plot (every scene without Plisskin is just an MGS1 retread with you waiting for the twist, basically) of the series.

Overall I'd put it in the middle.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Taintrunner posted:

kojima owns

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Taintrunner posted:

The Romeros make?/made? Facebook crap.

john romero is working on a new fps and put out some maps for doom 1 to warm himself up and they were both genuinely fantastic, and he's mellowed out a lot from how he was back in the daikatana days

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Randallteal posted:

(every scene without Plisskin is just an MGS1 retread with you waiting for the twist, basically)
:thejoke:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

A good poster posted:

As an extra layer of gross, they're cousins.

They're royalty or something holy, aren't they? It's just how they roll.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
xenogears owns because there is a plot twist that hinges around bart only having one eye

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

firmly on the 'death stranding's gonna suck, whatever it is' side of the campsite, myself

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like Xenogears a lot but man that game would be light years better if the text didn't appear on screen so slowly.

Like I get that they're trying to simulate actual vocalizing to some extent but still.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

firmly on the 'death stranding's gonna suck, whatever it is' side of the campsite, myself

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I never played xenogears despite really wanting to back in the day. Maybe I should look for a copy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The closest thing to a gameplay mechanic we've seen, which is monsters that are invisible until you shine a flashlight on them, could be a solid core for a horror game. I dunno what to make of the rest of it though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
xenogears has a lot of flaws but it was my fav jrpg when i was just getting into them and i think it has a lot of really good bits of writing that make it worth playing

it's probably still in my top 10 tbh, it mainly loses marks for being much slower than something like shadow hearts covenant or trails. otoh that slowness gives it kind of a cool dreamlike feel that's part of why i still remember it pretty vividly years later

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kojima has never made a bad game and Death Standing is going to be even better than Metal Gear.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think, it will be cool if the video game is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Colonel posted:

i think, it will be cool if the video game is good

i mean, hell, I hope this for all video games, even nonexistent ones like star citizen

• Locked thread