Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

I could bloody flog what appears to be a $3m waterfront and move to a nice million dollar home then live like a prince forever, but no, the government is stealing $10k from me isn't giving me $10k as a reward for having investments.

Fixed. Love how all those complaining about the rules being changed consistently vote for the party that is loving over young people by trying to retroactively change the payback terms for student loans.

Les Affaires posted:

The funniest part about the irony for me is that fewer and fewer people in the younger generations are taking the risk to start their own business, because they either do not have the startup capital or they are too risk averse after years of being hosed around with or not getting raises or whatever.

When you have significantly less people starting businesses than before, you lose a large chunk of people who may even remotely align with the whole LNP "Business is good" ideology, because people are more inclined to vote in their self interest, and if their self interest is based on being a wage or salary worker, guess who they're more likely to vote for?

E: While it would be cool to have more people forming businesses (just because it adds to diversity in the economy), I will not miss the side effect of having more people running around thinking their struggle as an entrepreneur means "all the rest of you should stop punishing success".

It's obviously not the norm, but due to the field in which I work most young I know starting businesses are in the digital space, so the Coalitions mess with the NBN is actually persuading a bunch of the value of a government that invests in public infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Les Affaires posted:

Here's a few:

Cheers I'll have a read of those when i can.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
A high-ranking Australian union official has been stood down amid claims he was involved in a fake Black Lives Matter Facebook page which collected hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Anidav posted:

A high-ranking Australian union official has been stood down amid claims he was involved in a fake Black Lives Matter Facebook page which collected hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations.

Is it true or did you read it in the Courier Mail?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Futuresight posted:

My anxiety disorder went into overdrive and I lost the ability to leave my house. I'm on disability now. My roommate moved out and I can't sublet or move because of anxiety so now I'm paying both rents. I tell Centrelink this over the internet so I can get extra rent assistance as I'm no longer sharing. Centrelink tells me I need to provide proof that I can't provide because I can't leave the loving house to get it. So they cut me off of rent assistance entirely for not proving that I need more rent assistance. So now I pay roughly 103% of my income as rent and my bank account was almost cleaned out by an outrageous electricity bill. I called Centrelink but ran out of credit while on hold. I don't have a landline. My internet bill is due but I was waiting on my payment that now doesn't even cover rent.

So.

I put in a request online for them to call me but it says wait times vary and not to do it for urgent things.

I loving love Centrelink. I should have known better than to contact them.

Sounds like you just need a universal healthcare system

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Oh, the point: does anyone know of any weird trick to get into contact with Centrelink? I'm thinking this could be solved if I get into contact with a real person over there but other than waiting on the contact me form to deliver results I don't know of any way to get that to happen given my circumstances.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

ewe2 posted:

We can't see how "clever" it is until the election. But I doubt he has that kind of pull, many of them dislike him personally and they sure as hell won't take orders from him. Everything I see about Bernardi says "idealistic egotist" which is by no means unusual in a politician, just not so much a successful one, it's the pragmatic egotists you have to watch out for. He's a great salesman, but a leader, not so much.

True, I guess I was mostly saying it's clever because he has co-opted the name of the ideology as the name for his party. Having the leadership of the LNP running around saying "we like markets and business but also conservative family values" will only gel with the hard right conservatives for so long until they all decide to hold their nose and jump ship, hoping to co-opt the party out of Bernardi's hands and into their own.

The guy who jumped back in the other direction in SA did so because he saw an opportunity to influence the actual power of the parliament instead of sitting out on the fringes. That was just a calculus. If the federal LNP are on the opposite side with no sway over legislation then some of the old boys will have nothing to lose, especially if they've already alienated large lumps of their party.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Futuresight posted:

Oh, the point: does anyone know of any weird trick to get into contact with Centrelink? I'm thinking this could be solved if I get into contact with a real person over there but other than waiting on the contact me form to deliver results I don't know of any way to get that to happen given my circumstances.

the only thing i've ever found that worked is going into the office and making a polite nuisance of yourself until the problem is solved.

fake edit: i realize this is not helpful given you are housebound with anxiety, sorry.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Futuresight posted:

The disability line has one of the shortest wait times (35 minutes lmao) but calling the feedback line to complain about how nobody is picking up has actually proven effective when I have no other option except to call up about stuff (on a carers payment but I’d be accessing the same systems as you if you are on disability proper and not that weird Newstart limbo)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

trunkh posted:

Is it true or did you read it in the Courier Mail?

Worse. ABC

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Oh yeah join the auwu if you haven’t already it’s free and lots of good info available

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Worse. ABC

It's in the Guardian too

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
CNN reports that Ian MacKay – an official with the National Union of Workers – helped set up and run a Facebook page called Black Lives Matter as well as other domain names linked to black rights.

MacKay also registered other websites with links to black rights.

Domain records show that in 2015 he registered a site known as blackpowerfist.com, which operated as a Reddit-like discussion forum that encouraged donations. Historical domain registration details show Mackay used his union email address to register the site.

Archived records on the site describe the site as being “created” by Black Lives Matter to “share the news that mainstream media play down or hide”.

The historical site records state it is “not funded by any other BLM group, George Soros, Ford foundation or Celebrity”.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
jbp are you secretly a bowtied gently caress of a green staffer???

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

jbp are you secretly a bowtied gently caress of a green staffer???

Oh god, that would explain Jack Gough (pronounced 'Off').

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

what the gently caress kind of greens staffer wears a bowtie, they're lucky if they can make me put pants on.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

Ian is a day to day organiser.

Eh I saw an article mentioning branch VP but I'm pretty sure that's either WA or QLD which are not exactly highly populated states re warehousing membership.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/983559586165669888?s=21

Lol what a dipshit

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Unless you're a professor or a funky conductor kill all people wearing bow ties day to day.

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009

Futuresight posted:

The contact me form has a vanishingly tiny chance of actually helping. I'm in a similar situation and wound up appointing a nominee that was more likely to actually have either a phone with money on it or the ability to physically go into a centrelink branch and make a nuisance of themselves; the answer, as always, is outsourcing.

I realize that almost definitely doesn't help, though. Outside of teleporting someone else's phone into your house, I have no idea what you can do, sorry.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/emma-alberici-s-controversial-tax-story-contained-nine-errors-20180410-p4z8qm.html

quote:

The ABC has identified nine errors or omissions of fact in Alberici's news story, which was called "Tax-free billions: Australia's largest companies haven't paid corporate tax in three years". The headline was misleading, according to the broadcaster, because Australia's top five companies and most of the top 10 by market capitalisation have paid corporate tax.
Management also ruled that a rhetorical question about whether JP Morgan had used a fine paid to US authorities to write-off tax in Australia was "potentially misleading".
"No evidence is provided and this is highly implausible," an answer on notice reads.
The ABC has also said a line in the article about foreign banks lending money to their Australian operations at inflated prices to "create excessive tax deductions" could also be seen as misleading.
"Reasonable efforts were not made to ensure accuracy," the ABC said.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

True, I guess I was mostly saying it's clever because he has co-opted the name of the ideology as the name for his party. Having the leadership of the LNP running around saying "we like markets and business but also conservative family values" will only gel with the hard right conservatives for so long until they all decide to hold their nose and jump ship, hoping to co-opt the party out of Bernardi's hands and into their own.

The guy who jumped back in the other direction in SA did so because he saw an opportunity to influence the actual power of the parliament instead of sitting out on the fringes. That was just a calculus. If the federal LNP are on the opposite side with no sway over legislation then some of the old boys will have nothing to lose, especially if they've already alienated large lumps of their party.

Well, depending on the level of opportunism, I could be wrong but to me it sounds like the older guys can't stand Cory. There's been a lot of heavy backgrounding on him in the last two years, so I don't think he was ever long for getting out before he got dumped for preselection, it was heading that way. Whoever rebuilds the Libs whenever that finally happens if at all, would never have had a place for Bernardi, they wouldn't get the numbers. And Bernardi could never allow himself to be shamed into starting a new party, so he jumped before he was pushed. It's a convincing narrative, whatever the truth, and I'm just as certain they're telling themselves that.

I'd be more inclined to think newer members might gravitate his way if they finally despair of the federal party's direction which is plainly downward, and that would be more significant than a couple of disaffected ex-Ministers throwing in with him. You have a serious problem when the new blood say no thanks, I'm with Cory.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cory's going to fizzle out after his current Senate run, mark my words.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

He should have copied Lionhelm's one weird trick to get elected and called his party the Liberal Conservatives or something

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Remember when this guy was in charge of the schools curriculum

Folau's free speech under attack
By Kevin Donnelly

The attacks on Folau for expressing his views about homosexuality, including the possibility of Qantas withdrawing its rugby sponsorship, highlight the way political correctness is stifling free speech and victimising those daring to question cultural-left orthodoxy.

As a result of the cultural-left’s long march through the institutions (in addition to Qantas you can add the ABC, universities and much of the media), political correctness involving identity politics, privileging victimhood and virtue signalling dominate public policy and debate.

Dr Kevin Donnelly is a Senior Research Fellow at the Australian Catholic University and author of How Political Correctness is Destroying Australia (forthcoming Wilkinson Press).

Lid fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 10, 2018

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Les Affaires posted:

Honestly we should just confiscate all super and replace it with a doubling of the retirement pension (and newstart) and be done with it.

If we had a UBI would we be able to scrap the whole super system? My initial thought is yes, but I haven't really contemplated the impact of a UBI on super before.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Is "virtue signalling" some sort of red pill poo poo for describing people with a conscience?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Periphery posted:

If we had a UBI would we be able to scrap the whole super system? My initial thought is yes, but I haven't really contemplated the impact of a UBI on super before.

I don't think so. Why would you scrap mandatory, "self funded" retirement for work? It's just asking for a UBI retirement class and a non ubi class (rich fatsos).

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Periphery posted:

UBI would absolutely remove the pension, so you could theoretically say super is no longer needed as well. People can just save for retirement under their own steam.

G-Spot Run posted:

Is "virtue signalling" some sort of red pill poo poo for describing people with a conscience?

It's honestly only used by sociopaths who don't know what empathy is. "You're only saying this to score points with 'oppressed minority' but you don't really believe it".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

G-Spot Run posted:

Yes.

At one point it was used to mean things like slacktivism but then the right / alt-right fuckwits took it over. Political correctness had a similar trajectory, going from a term used in internal left-wing criticism to attacking someone for being polite and decent.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

G-Spot Run posted:

Yes.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

'performative wokeness' will do something similar i imagine

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

It's what they call a SJW "tactic", because they don't want to promote the narrative of being shamed, they turn it on its head and claim it's a way of showing other SJW's how Social Justicey they are. So its a red pill poo poo way of pretending that any messaging doesn't apply to THEM, it's 'oooh look how moral you're pretending to be" while simultaneously la-la-la i can't hear you. Like a smart 14 year old.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

G-Spot Run posted:

Yes. They think can’t people actually care about all the “disadvantaged” people that they claim to, so lefties obviously just say it as a way of flashing their credentials.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Oh man. Beaten like so many newspolls.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

G-Spot Run posted:

"You have empathy and I do not, so this is my criticism in lieu of arguments or human decency"

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I guess it's good that that they maintain their own little language then as it is apparently very effective fuckwit signalling.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
See also SJW, because fighting for social justice = inherently bad apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

G-Spot Run posted:

I guess it's good that that they maintain their own little language then as it is apparently very effective fuckwit signalling.

Sometimes when I post online I don't understand what the other person is actually saying and have to google a buzzword like "soyboy"

• Locked thread