Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Biplane posted:

There is a DLC or expansion that features children and I played for like 20 minutes before I turned it off and went and stared at my sleeping son for like an hour.

Holy poo poo this. I had a kid and his grandfather stay with my two top tier scavenger/combat characters during winter. Kid got sick and I just could not find any meds that weren't those herbal ones at all anywhere, I guess the RNG was against me. The one time I hit a place with guaranteed meds I make a mistake and end up dodging angry homesteaders and barely getting away. Kid gets sicker and sicker and his grandpa is basically despondent and 'broken', eventually the kid reaches 'terminally ill' so I say gently caress it and go in guns blazing on a heavily armed group in a large building. My fireman dude takes them all down with his shotgun, finds meds and bandages and makes his way home. Once he gets there he finds the grandpa has taken the kid and left, gone to find help (disappeared from the story). Fireman dude breaks down at having murdered so many people (my only kills in the play through) and has to be talked back from the brink, but he and his last companion do make it through to the cease fire now there's only two people to provide for.

Epilogue stated the kid and his grandpa made to a refugee camp though so I guess leaving was the better option after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The full This War of Mine experience is underestimating how cold winter is going to be the first time around. First I burnt up my wood stocks, then I smashed apart the furniture for fuel, then I burnt the books. Finally I destroyed the beds and burnt them, with my guys freezing to death on the floor soon after :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuebot posted:

I'm pretty sure they specifically stated that Quiet's powers come from the exact same parasites that gave The End his powers. And not that I think Quiet's design is in any way good, or that her story and explanation is anything but a stupid, contrived way to just have a dumb explanation why she has to be mostly naked - weren't her throat and lungs mostly destroyed in the intro of the game or something? Or has it been so long I just don't remember poo poo?

Yes. The game actually botches its own contrivance in the endgame too. Being stuck in a heavy jumpsuit is a pretty acceptable reason for her being weakened and unable to breathe if she's inhaling through her skin.... Except all she needs to ramp right to full strength is to get her pants off. Which means the volume of skin she actually needs exposed to breathe properly isn't exactly scantily-clad levels.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I love how in Path of Exile, if you use fire based powers then plants nearby singe and burn as you use them.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I love in far cry 5 the first thing you're tasked to do when you rescue the pupper is to pet that good boy.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

I love in far cry 5 the first thing you're tasked to do when you rescue the pupper is to pet that good boy.

Who cares about the dog when you get Cheeseburger who is a giant grizzly bear.... just don't actually feed him Cheesburgers... he's got the diabetes.

https://imgur.com/a/JsHLo

If you could somehow have a combination of Cheesburger, Hurk, and Sharky it would be the best open world game in a long time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just found a game that is loving amazing, but impossible on an emulator due to lack of sensitivity on the Xbox 360 controller I use for PC games - Mad Maestro. I feel on an actual PS2 the button sensitivity will be much easier to get right because I tried mapping the X to the right trigger for actual pressure but it didn't work well enough. Also only 3 pounds. I love the animations, the idea behind it is genius and the failure of the first song was hilarious seeing the clouds roll in and the shops all shutting to the tune of the music, while the guy was totally failing at wooing the girl he was into. It was hilarious and makes me want to succeed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

Just found a game that is loving amazing, but impossible on an emulator due to lack of sensitivity on the Xbox 360 controller I use for PC games - Mad Maestro. I feel on an actual PS2 the button sensitivity will be much easier to get right because I tried mapping the X to the right trigger for actual pressure but it didn't work well enough. Also only 3 pounds. I love the animations, the idea behind it is genius and the failure of the first song was hilarious seeing the clouds roll in and the shops all shutting to the tune of the music, while the guy was totally failing at wooing the girl he was into. It was hilarious and makes me want to succeed.

First time I played that game was on a black and white tv. Boy was that a mistake

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Len posted:

First time I played that game was on a black and white tv. Boy was that a mistake

I've never hoped for a game to be good this badly - I really want this to work on the actual console. I'm loving invested. Screwing up even screws up the music appropriately as opposed to Guitar Hero's squeaking noises overlayed over the otherwise unaffected soundtrack - if you press buttons too hard it plays the song way too loudly to be appropriate for that point in the song, and if you are pressing too quickly the song's tempo gets all hosed up. It's like Elite Beat Agents, only more expressive somehow.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I had Mad Maestro on PS2 back in the day. It's great. Came as part of a sadly short lived scheme in which a company called Fresh Games translated a bunch of odd Japanese games and released them at budget prices. I think Mr Mosquito was another one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

glad she is dead posted:

I had Mad Maestro on PS2 back in the day. It's great. Came as part of a sadly short lived scheme in which a company called Fresh Games translated a bunch of odd Japanese games and released them at budget prices. I think Mr Mosquito was another one.

It was. The box has the same layout and everything both games are weird as all hell

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ5s81NRdQE

Don't know why this came into my head because I haven't played for like 8 years, but this has to take the cake as some of the best unit VA stuff in any game. I really do adore the absurd melodramatics of W40K.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Outlast is so loving scary. I’ve been trying for years to get through it but oh my god. I’m currently stuck where a doctor stabs you to death if you leave your hiding place. The game is NOT easy and literally has nothing in common with other games like controls, obvious things that happen that you expect, etc. Basically I like everything about this game and there’s soooo many little things that are great but I am So. Scared. Even thinking about it gives me anxiety. I think that’s the point and that’s awesome.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I really love Outlast. I’ve played it a few times and it never gets old. It’s that perfect length where it doesn’t wear out its welcome and I like the graphics and music. If anyone would like to discuss Outlast more in depth feel free to PM me about it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I would like to make clear my offer of PMs only extends to Outlast and it’s DLC Whistleblower. Discussions of Outlast 2 will be made on a PM by PM basis. Any other PMs will be forwarded to the mods for appropriate punishments. Thank you

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Jeza posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ5s81NRdQE

Don't know why this came into my head because I haven't played for like 8 years, but this has to take the cake as some of the best unit VA stuff in any game. I really do adore the absurd melodramatics of W40K.
I'm into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtBeodX2j8E

This one comes to mind every time I call in sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGjIVfUUx_w

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Outlast was almost short enough for me to not get sick of it, which is the highest praise I have ever given to a horror game.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

oldpainless posted:

I would like to make clear my offer of PMs only extends to Outlast and it’s DLC Whistleblower. Discussions of Outlast 2 will be made on a PM by PM basis. Any other PMs will be forwarded to the mods for appropriate punishments. Thank you

What’s wrong with 2? (No spoilers I have it but haven’t even opened it)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Thin Privilege posted:

What’s wrong with 2? (No spoilers I have it but haven’t even opened it)

It’s not as good

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

oldpainless posted:

It’s not as good

more like oldexplainless

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

poly and open-minded posted:

more like oldexplainless

The most concise explanation I've ever heard was "outlast 2 is the lovely direct to DVD sequel that everybody says you should ignore."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

From what I've heard it's all overly-edgy juvenile rape and baby murder poo poo.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

yook posted:

This one comes to mind every time I call in sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGjIVfUUx_w

Same thought, different video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpmiq8sTH0k
That nervous laughter that starts 1:33 in? I think that is a idle quote :yikes:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BioEnchanted posted:

From what I've heard it's all overly-edgy juvenile rape and baby murder poo poo.

Yeah I wouldn't exactly call the original game subtle but it had some really unsettling moments. Outlast 2 just goes into absolutely batshittery to a level that makes it hard to take with any sort of gravitas. It's the type of game you might enjoy if you riff on it for being so poo poo but don't pay nearly full price.

It also pretty much ditches the camcorder gimmick which was, ya know, the first games whole thing in favor of flashbacks and cutscenes that leave the main characters perspective constantly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just tried to do a blind recording of the PS2 He-Man game cause I've not done a blind run for a long time, although abandoned due to the cutscenes flickering really badly due to it not emulating well - the cool thing is it's actually a fun game with the combat, at least it seems to be at first. The controls are fairly slow, but you hit really hard and send some larger enemies flying so it feels powerful and satisfying. If I can fix the cutscenes I may return to it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tiny, happy thing about Factorio: you can get into your vehicles. Not just the jeep, this includes the trains! I was able to drive my own first train around the track, and I cannot describe how stupidly happy I am about getting to do that. It's fun driving it around, and then I could just set it to automatic and have it do coal hauling on its own.

....And now I can build even bigger, funner tracks that I'll be able to drive around on - !

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Just tried to do a blind recording of the PS2 He-Man game cause I've not done a blind run for a long time, although abandoned due to the cutscenes flickering really badly due to it not emulating well - the cool thing is it's actually a fun game with the combat, at least it seems to be at first. The controls are fairly slow, but you hit really hard and send some larger enemies flying so it feels powerful and satisfying. If I can fix the cutscenes I may return to it.

Aren't PS2s dirt cheap now? Why not just go for it on a real console if you get that much enjoyment from the title?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

BioEnchanted posted:

If you own the game and machine could you not run an emulator using the physical disc on your pc?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I don't own the game, but I may look online for it like I did with Mad Maestro.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

You can hack Martin Shkreli in Watch dogs 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBjYIzgiv-Q

Elizabethan Error has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Apr 9, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I figured out how to stop the flickering in He Man! May go back to it with that in mind later.

Interesting topic: What's a game you thought would be terrible when you bought it, but wound up really enjoying overall? That happened with a lot of licensed games for me, like the Spiderwick Chronicles game and the first Knight Rider game

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Apr 9, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Interesting topic: What's a game you thought would be terrible when you bought it, but wound up really enjoying overall? That happened with a lot of licensed games for me, like the Spiderwick Chronicles game and the first Knight Rider game

I bought 300: March to Glory for PSP for a couple of quid when I needed something to kill time for a couple of hours and ended up enjoying it a lot. I mean, it's mindless hack and slash stuff, but sometimes that's all you need.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Apr 9, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, I went back to the He Man PS2 game and beat the first level. Some surprisingly tricky to work out platforming puzzles (turned out I hadn't quite got how one of the pieces moved, had to get a good look to realise what was needed), but the combat is rather heavy and satisfying, although I haven't got the hang of not taking hits.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BioEnchanted posted:

I thought the point and click Goosebumps adventure game wasn't going to be as much fun as it turned out to be. I pretty much bought it because I only had a little but left in my PSN wallet and I think it was on sale.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifce is so good looking and tells such a great tale. I was taking constant screenshots because it's just so good looking.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BioEnchanted posted:

The ARPG Victor Vran. Card-based stats, weapon-types have static skills, generic "only way to beat evil is with their own tools" protagonist, stupid voice in your head, and a heavy emphasis on crafting to get the best gear.
Also, full controller support.
But dammed if I didn't have a blast playing through the whole thing. I enjoyed it so much, I bought the Motorhead expansion and played through that, too.

The card-based system gets deeper the longer you play and the more cards you gather. Simplifying weapon skills makes finding and mastering each of their playstyles easier, meaning it's your job to be good at it. The demon powers are necessary or you get your rear end kicked. The crafting system is not hard to use and, although it has a "lottery" feel to it, you never run out of gear to toss in.
Each little dungeon has it's own "achievements" that give special rewards. Not to mention the modifiers you can selectively enable to make individual dungeons more difficult.
The legendary versions of weapons are not the highest damage dealers, but they all have something unique that you can't get any other way.

The voice in your head is never not annoying, though.

Motorhead added an electric guitar as a ranged weapon.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

BioEnchanted posted:

I figured out how to stop the flickering in He Man! May go back to it with that in mind later.

Puzzle Quest, it's a mix and match gem game with rpg elements. Don't really like bejeweled, but god drat it they did the rpg elements right. Each ability actually feels like it matters. And I like how each gem is a different class.

Embarrassingly Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 was another game I bought (for like 4 bucks at the time), on a whim. I didn't think I would be into it, but hey it's 4 bucks. It quickly became one of my favorite games, and I still play it just to relax. It's one of the few games where I just like playing it regardless if I progress or not. Combines two of my favorite genres, platforming and arcade.

Nude has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Apr 10, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, I went back to the He Man PS2 game and beat the first level. Some surprisingly tricky to work out platforming puzzles (turned out I hadn't quite got how one of the pieces moved, had to get a good look to realise what was needed), but the combat is rather heavy and satisfying, although I haven't got the hang of not taking hits.

Lightning Returns. It was the second sequel to FFXIII made as a cheap cash in to reuse assets from the two previous games and has a combat system based around swapping outfits and having a single playable character as well as a time limit. By every single measure I was fully expected to hate the poo poo out of it and it ended up being a game I enjoyed a whole lot because it was a secret Valkyrie Profile sequel instead.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

kazil posted:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifce is so good looking and tells such a great tale. I was taking constant screenshots because it's just so good looking.

This game is so good. I heard goons talking about it all the time but basically nobody else, I bought it a few weeks ago and beat it in 2 sittings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Lightning Returns. It was the second sequel to FFXIII made as a cheap cash in to reuse assets from the two previous games and has a combat system based around swapping outfits and having a single playable character as well as a time limit. By every single measure I was fully expected to hate the poo poo out of it and it ended up being a game I enjoyed a whole lot because it was a secret Valkyrie Profile sequel instead.

FFXIII:LR is Majora's mask only you're fashion lady Jesus on a mission from God to save everyone's souls from a dead timeline to be reincarnated in the next iteration of the universe and none of this is subtext and that's what makes it good.