Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The easiest respec shrines to get to, by far, are the ones at the temple in Vivec city. They're outdoors and about five paces from the temple wayshrine. It's basically stupid to go to any of the other ones anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The ones in Elden Root would beg to differ :colbert:

Also I tanked vet Maw of Lorkhaj last night. Would not recommend :stonk:

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
I've never tanked it. I don't even like doing it on DPS, so I can imagine the shittiness of doing it on a tank.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Beefeater posted:

Depends if you want light/medium/heavy. Assuming it's for CP160, the material cost goes up by a legit factor of ten from other crafting tiers (ie-a CP150 medium chest costs 15 rubedo leather, whereas a CP160 medium chest piece requires 150 rubedo leather). If you were to supply the base materials I'd make it (and upgrade it to purple) for free.

There's respec shrines for both attributes and skill points in every faction capital (Mournhold, Wayrest, Elden Root). There's also one by the temple wayshrine in Vivec City.

Yeah, playing a stamblade, so looking for cp160 medium. I'll see how long it will take me to get all the mats and find you in-game.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

For what it's worth, Acuity is only good if you know how to take full advantage of the proc, otherwise it can be a bit of a waste. I'd still recommend starting out with Julianos or Hunding's until you can get a consistent baseline going.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Yeah, playing a stamblade, so looking for cp160 medium. I'll see how long it will take me to get all the mats and find you in-game.

I have a surplus of rubedo leather, so I can make it for you and you can hit me back with the mats when you get them if you like. In game as @SABeefeater. Just let me know what you'd like.

Scyantific posted:

For what it's worth, Acuity is only good if you know how to take full advantage of the proc, otherwise it can be a bit of a waste. I'd still recommend starting out with Julianos or Hunding's until you can get a consistent baseline going.

Was going to mention this as well. For your average pug player/soloer/etc, Acuity is indeed a waste and isn't really worth the headache of managing the proc and trying to hit the sweet spot. It's recommended in build guides because most build guides are assuming a well oiled, complimentary veteran raid setup. If that's not what you're doing I'd go with something like 5 Hundings, 5 Spriggans/Twice Fanged Snake and a monster set (Velidreth, Kra'gh, Selene's, etc).

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://clips.twitch.tv/VibrantObliqueTroutFrankerZ

PRO. STRATS.

(I'm the tank getting pimp-slapped by Vashai near the end of the clip)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I figured I may as well sign up for ESO+ if I'm going to start playing. I poked through the Crown Shop while playing yesterday but there's just so much stuff. I haven't played any MMO in years, feel overwhelmed.

Is there anything I should buy with my crowns? It looked like I can buy a skill book to learn how to ride a mount - is that in fact a thing? Is there a level requirement?

I'm at work right now so I can't load up the game to post exactly what I'm talking about, unfortunately.

Also, I decided to roll an Orc Templar. Should I be pumping Magicka or Stamina? I figured being a big fat guy with a 2H I wanted Stamina but my abilities use Mana so I think I'm doing it wrong.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sab669 posted:

So I figured I may as well sign up for ESO+ if I'm going to start playing. I poked through the Crown Shop while playing yesterday but there's just so much stuff. I haven't played any MMO in years, feel overwhelmed.

Is there anything I should buy with my crowns? It looked like I can buy a skill book to learn how to ride a mount - is that in fact a thing? Is there a level requirement?

I'm at work right now so I can't load up the game to post exactly what I'm talking about, unfortunately.

Also, I decided to roll an Orc Templar. Should I be pumping Magicka or Stamina? I figured being a big fat guy with a 2H I wanted Stamina but my abilities use Mana so I think I'm doing it wrong.

The skill guide for the basic Templar does indeed suggest magicka as the main stat. That being said there are also builds for stamina and health, whatever role you want to play.

Personally Im having class anxiety. I have a 2h templar but I noticed they have a staff build and now I dont know what to do lol

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Sab669 posted:

I mostly buy fluff poo poo with my crowns. The mount skill books aren't really needed since you can pay gold once per day to upgrade an aspect of your mount skills (speed, stamina or carrying weight).

As for an Orc Templar swinging a two hander, yes, go all into stamina. Most (read: all) class skills are magicka based by default, but several have a stamina morph version. Stamina classes tend to use fewer class skills and more weapon/guild skills though compared to their magicka counterpart.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sab669 posted:

It looked like I can buy a skill book to learn how to ride a mount - is that in fact a thing?

That's jus for upgrading mount stats, you can do the same thing daily at the stables for 250 gold, which is nothing. You get a horse for free at level 10, otherwise you need to buy them for crowns or gold (non-fancy horses only), or get them in crown crates. They will unlock for all characters and their appearance is independent of that character's mount stats.

You'll want to upgrade your mount as often as possible, especially the speed stat. The worst part about starting a new character is having a slow-rear end mount.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
I'm pretty sure every mount purchased in Tamriel has a broken leg that mends over time.

Lobstermobile
Sep 12, 2004
Lobster Car vroom vroom
Bought this after playing during the free weekend. Its been great so far. I've been able to level up to 40 from the anniversary boost. I'm also stockpiling motifs, hopefully I can use those to finance the rest of my bag slots.

Can I get a guild invite?
@ crunkopoly

Running a Dark elf Magplar currently. It was in case I wanted to PVP with goons, but it looks like you can get an upgrade that lets you run any race with any alliance? Does that cost extra?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Hell yeah what's up orc stamplar buddy (I have two)

For orc you'll definitely want to be pumping stamina

You'll want the following:
Puncturing Strikes -> Morph to Biting Jabs
Javelin -> Morph to Binding Javelin
Radial Sweep -> Morph to Crescent Sweep
All of the Aedric Spear passive skills

Backlash -> Morph to Power of the Light
Nova-> Morph is your choice
Pick up the Prism, Illuminate, and Restoring Spirit passives from Dawn's Wrath tree

Restoring Aura -> Morph to Repentance
Cleansing Ritual -> Morph to Extended Ritual
Rune Focus -> Morph to Restoring Focus
Rite of Passage -> Morph to Remembrance
Pick up the Sacred Ground, Light Weaver, and Master Ritualist passives from Restoring Light.

As far as weapon skills, you can pick and choose between 2 Hander, 1 Hand and Shield, Dual Wield, and Bow. 2 hander is definitely viable on stamplar due to having an innate class spammable skill.

For armor you'll want to train up Medium armor for maximum optimization and then do Heavy since it's got a few passives that are universally useful.

Hit me up on discord or ingame if you got more questions (I'm @Scy on discord and @lljkscy in game).

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Lobstermobile posted:

Bought this after playing during the free weekend. Its been great so far. I've been able to level up to 40 from the anniversary boost. I'm also stockpiling motifs, hopefully I can use those to finance the rest of my bag slots.

Can I get a guild invite?
@ crunkopoly

Running a Dark elf Magplar currently. It was in case I wanted to PVP with goons, but it looks like you can get an upgrade that lets you run any race with any alliance? Does that cost extra?

Yes, it's a separate upgrade in the crown store (1500 crowns iirc)

+1 for Dunmer Magplar

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
When do the fights/dungeons start getting challenging? Do you have to unlock the veteran stuff?

I'm at level 25 still but like the dungeons are so piss easy with a party that when I step back to think I'm like yep I'm just spammin my button and nobody seemingly ever even gets below max health

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Hit me up on discord or ingame if you got more questions (I'm @Scy on discord and @lljkscy in game).

You'll regret this offer! But thanks for the big write up, I appreciate it. I probably won't play until Wednesday but I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So does anyone have advice on a class? There are so many choices and I've restarted so many times lol

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Stefan Prodan posted:

When do the fights/dungeons start getting challenging? Do you have to unlock the veteran stuff?

I'm at level 25 still but like the dungeons are so piss easy with a party that when I step back to think I'm like yep I'm just spammin my button and nobody seemingly ever even gets below max health

Any dungeon that is not DLC is piss easy (for the most part), DLC dungeons are basically a step up from all the others. Stuff will typically not get challenging until you do veteran mode dungeons and even the base game dungeons are pretty easy on veteran outside of a few that have gently caress you abilities (SC1 gently caress you). The DLC dungeons aren't even that hard, they just sometimes have mechanics that you have to sort of pay attention to.

To put it another way, my character was in all crafted/dropped gear (except my rings are gold red mountain which is purchased from PvP vendors or through people that purchased from PvP vendors) and I could solo pretty much any dungeon on normal mode and even some veteran mode dungeons, I had about 400-500 CP when I started trying this; a lot of people in the guild (and outside of it) can do the same thing.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Oh hmm I dunno if I'm gonna bother getting the dlc so maybe this game isn't for me

Eggnogspecial
Feb 25, 2006

'tis the season.
Can I get an invite to the guild? My handle is @Hellturnip

Excited to try this one again with all the changes since launch.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So does anyone have advice on a class? There are so many choices and I've restarted so many times lol

Maybe decide what you want to do first, role wise, and go from there.

I wanna tank!

Tanks tend to play more as hybrids since they tend to use skills from both magicka (class kills mostly) and stamina (needed for blocking). Dragonknights arguably make the best tanks with Wardens right behind them. However, any class can tank reliably for 98% of the content. I have two tanks myself - one Templar (plays like a Paladin with dem heals) and one Nightblade (Shadowknight style).

I wanna heal!

Healers benefit most from being full-on magicka. Templars are considered the top dog here and are what you would expect from your prototypical cleric-ish healer. Wardens (nature healer) and Nightblades (blood mage!) also excel. Sorcerer and Dragonknight healers tend to have more of an uphill battle, but either is more than serviceable if played well.

I wanna make things explode!

Being that all class skills begin as magicka, any class can make a solid magicka DD. Magicka Nightblades and Sorcerers are currently riding the meta wave, with magicka Templars right up there if played well. Magicka Dragonknights are apparently a blast to play but are needing a bit of love. Magicka Wardens are lagging pretty far back unless you have the bear ultimate slotted.

I enjoy stabbing things sir!

Again, any class can make a decent stamina DD. Stamina builds tend to use fewer class skills and more weapon/guild/etc skills. Nightblades play like your typical rogue/stealth archetype and have ballin' single target damage. Dragonknights in a stamina setup can also belt out some solid damage, focusing heavily on DoTs and heavy attacks. Stamina sorcerers are a blast (and easy to spot running around at full speed covered in lightning) and stamina Templars bring good DPS along with handy debuff utility with Power of the Light. Wardens again are a bit behind, but not nearly as much as their magicka counterpart (plus they get an AOE Major Fracture and easy access to Major Brutality/Major Savagery, so no potions needed).

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Nightblade healer sounds interesting.. do pubbies rage if you play it?

When does Magsorc come online? I feel like I'm dying too much, and not blowing things up at all, but i'm only 18 and my build is probably terrible..

Having that class identity thing myself. I'm interested in stamsorc, magdk, stam nb khajit thief, and the mention of the mag nb healer lol

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

keep in mind summerset is coming with changes that will be adding new healing abilities (and some buffs) for the other classes

we don't really have concrete details but its pretty safe to assume every class will be better at healing in two months

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Zaekkor posted:

Nightblade healer sounds interesting.. do pubbies rage if you play it?

When does Magsorc come online? I feel like I'm dying too much, and not blowing things up at all, but i'm only 18 and my build is probably terrible..

Having that class identity thing myself. I'm interested in stamsorc, magdk, stam nb khajit thief, and the mention of the mag nb healer lol

There's a nightblade healer in the thread somewhere. I believe he described it as "I steal the blood of my enemies and shove it in my friends". It's a fun playstyle - lots of HoTs and you do plenty of damage while you keep people alive. Between the Siphoning tree, Shadow tree and Restoration Staff tree, Nightblades are actually set up pretty decently to heal. (And like Berke Negri said, next patch all classes will be getting a decent healing bump)

Once you get a bit higher as a MagSorc you'll get Power Surge and Hardened Ward, which together make you an unkillable soloing machine (within reason of course). If the ward goes down, Power Surge will heal you through it so long as you're busy turning something into a pile of ash.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

magsorc should be pretty powerful at all times. Use the familiar pet (have it on both bars), dump all your points into magicka, use a destro staff on front bar and resto on back while you level (this allows you to play DPS or healer later), toss skills you are leveling on resto bar including one heal.

Use surge when you get access to it, morph to power surge. Lightning splash and mage's fury should be mainstays of your front bar, mage's fury kills the gently caress out of things under 20% health and lightning splash is good aoe, also have wall of elements up from destro line. Other good spells are daedric curse and conjured ward, I typically keep ward on my backbar in lieu of a heal now that my magsorc is max level, that plus power surge (surge morph) should keep you alive at all times. Weakness to elements is also a spell you should level but won't necessarily be on your bar at all times.

As for ultimates, I like destro ult and lightning ult, lightning ult gets you another bar of skills you can use if you so choose (also have familiar on there or it will poof when you ulti) but requires effort compared to just making GBS threads out a meteor or whatever the destro ult is.

I despise most of the dark magic spells, but encase is good when you're soloing and feeling weak since it will CC a bunch of fucks for 4.5+ seconds and dark exchange, also the ulti is good in pvp.

Also, if you haven't, get some leveling gear from some goon, if I'm on I'll more than gladly make some for you, but I know ara is usually hooking people up.

My opinions might be bad and things might have changed since I haven't been playing as much the last 6 months.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 9, 2018

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
For leveing DH/Bow as warden, does this bar look ok? I wanted to get in some extra abilities like blade cloak or whirlwind but it seems like I shouldn't?

Flurry, Frost Cloak, Fungal Growth, Some bow ability, Subterranean Assault, Animal Companion Ult?

My understanding is I want one of each so they can all level up right?

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Stefan Prodan posted:

For leveing DH/Bow as warden, does this bar look ok? I wanted to get in some extra abilities like blade cloak or whirlwind but it seems like I shouldn't?

Flurry, Frost Cloak, Fungal Growth, Some bow ability, Subterranean Assault, Animal Companion Ult?

This is how my stamina warden is set up (built for PvE). I can pull pretty good DPS on her.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=35656

And yes, never a bad idea to level all class lines as you go, even if you don't really need one or two of them endgame. You never know if you'll want to switch specs.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

I mean, once you get 15 you will get 2 bars, you put all your main abilities on the front bar (aka poo poo you kill poo poo with), and poo poo you're leveling on the back bar and swap to that when you turn in quests or are about to kill the boss of a daily random dungeon.

Before then, yeah you want a skill in each of your class lines and then 2 weapon skills, if you need 2 weapon skills from the weapon you're using to kill poo poo, do that, if not, put a weapon skill from whatever will be your offhand weapon.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Beefeater posted:

There's a nightblade healer in the thread somewhere. I believe he described it as "I steal the blood of my enemies and shove it in my friends". It's a fun playstyle - lots of HoTs and you do plenty of damage while you keep people alive. Between the Siphoning tree, Shadow tree and Restoration Staff tree, Nightblades are actually set up pretty decently to heal. (And like Berke Negri said, next patch all classes will be getting a decent healing bump)

Once you get a bit higher as a MagSorc you'll get Power Surge and Hardened Ward, which together make you an unkillable soloing machine (within reason of course). If the ward goes down, Power Surge will heal you through it so long as you're busy turning something into a pile of ash.

I think that was maybe me who described it that way? It's really fun to heal as a nightblade because you do cool utility stuff while you heal. It also is easy to "dial in" for the content level you're playing at - at low content levels your passive healing as you DPS will keep the party up fine.

EDIT: Also it taps into a cool aesthetic that's underutilized.

DOUBLE EDIT: yes it was me, repeatedly, if my post history is anything to go by. jesus.

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 9, 2018

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Ok so MagNB healer and a respec on my MagSorc and I should be in a good way. Now the challenge of picking one to 50 first. Been doing free2play so used motif gold from event on bag and bank space on my MagSorc in lieu of crafting bag..but i still got a decent chunk I can spend on a new chars bag space I suppose..

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah, until you hit level 15 and unlock the second skill bar. Since EXP is applied to skills when you turn a quest in, at that point you can just have a second bar with one of everything which you swap to before you report back to the questgiver, and you're free to put whatever you want on the regular bar.

WALL of SCIENCE!
Feb 8, 2003

I'm good. You good?
Just started playing last week and I'm still having fun! I have a couple of questions- there's a MagNB guide linked in the OP and I'm wondering if it's still relevant. Most places seem to imply that magicka nightblades are probably better off with staves, but I like the idea of being a dual-blade swinging murderous bloodmage.

Also, if I'm planning to at some point down the line make a character dedicated to crafting, is there a good class to use for that? One that might synergise with the gathering aspects of it, or that can get by without a lot of skill points invested in not-crafting?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

WALL of SCIENCE! posted:

Just started playing last week and I'm still having fun! I have a couple of questions- there's a MagNB guide linked in the OP and I'm wondering if it's still relevant. Most places seem to imply that magicka nightblades are probably better off with staves, but I like the idea of being a dual-blade swinging murderous bloodmage.

Also, if I'm planning to at some point down the line make a character dedicated to crafting, is there a good class to use for that? One that might synergise with the gathering aspects of it, or that can get by without a lot of skill points invested in not-crafting?

Orcs have a racial skill that levels their crafting skills 10% faster. Aside from that, every race/class is equally suited to crafting.

There are a few builds that can do well with only one weapon skill line like DPS magicka Dragonknight, Sorcerer, or Nightblade (destruction staff) or DPS stamina Warden (bow), and that's probably your best bet if you want to conserve skill points for crafting. Also plan on not having that character be a vampire or werewolf, since that's an additional skill tree to worry about. You will eventually have enough skill points that it won't be an issue regardless, though.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 10, 2018

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah, until you hit level 15 and unlock the second skill bar. Since EXP is applied to skills when you turn a quest in, at that point you can just have a second bar with one of everything which you swap to before you report back to the questgiver, and you're free to put whatever you want on the regular bar.

I'm 25 now, won't that level stuff unevenly since I get a bunch from combat also?

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w
I guess i'm going to keep playing this, so can I get a guild invite? @tesoegh

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
So I'm doing Morrowind content and hot drat the House Telvanni quests are emotionally exhausting and make me just want to kill everyone

let Vivec die so the island explodes early imo

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Fojar38 posted:

So I'm doing Morrowind content and hot drat the House Telvanni quests are emotionally exhausting and make me just want to kill everyone

let Vivec die so the island explodes early imo

Sun-In-Shadow is a precious cinnamon bun who does nothing wrong.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'm 25 now, won't that level stuff unevenly since I get a bunch from combat also?

You tend to do more killing on one bar than the other. For instance, if I'm leveling a stamina character I'm likely to be killing more stuff on my melee bar than my bow bar. So to keep things even I make sure I have my bow bar equipped when I turn in quests. It keeps XP fairly even when leveling skills and skill lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i would say vets are not easy if you're in a group of people not knowing what they're doing which is the majority of the player base

though if I had to chart it out I'd guess I'd say

overland/delve/public dungeon>normal dungeons>normal trials>vet dungeons>vma>vet trials

if youve been playing with goons in normals that would explain everything seeming piss easy, while I've often watched pugs even struggle with non-dlc normal stuff

edit: whoops the app didn't refresh my page so this was wrt a older conversation

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 10, 2018