Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Horse girls was just kind of boring to me, it hit the exact same notes as a million other idol or sports shows and didn't have anything interesting outside of the main gimmick which tbh made me feel pretty uncomfortable too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

I watched the first episode of Uma Musume expecting to like it but it sat poorly with me. The girls as horses thing made me more uncomfortable than I expected. I liked the character's antics and want Special Week to accomplish her dream, but then there'd be a scene where the trainer just felt up Special Week in public like it was fine, or one of the character's dehumanizing names would be said, or there's that girl who is wearing a bridle, and it just felt weird
i mean how are the names any more dehumanizing than any other show where the girls have weird names

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Because they're not usually based on real life animals that people own?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

i mean how are the names any more dehumanizing than any other show where the girls have weird names

I don't know, look at some recent Kentucky Derby winner names.

Excluding Orb, because Orb is an excellent name.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My anime name is California Injustice.

I don't know if there's actually injustice in California, but I'm going to assume there is, by virtue of injustice existing everywhere.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Because they're not usually based on real life animals that people own?

i mean boats and guns and uh, food? are also things people own

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't like kancolle or any of the stupid boat/gun shows either so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

lots of touhous are literal objects. kogasa's an umbrella.

i dont even care about the horse show btw we're just having a back and forth here, do not think i am insulting you in any way.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
name me Nyquil

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played one touhou game about 10 years ago.

I did not buy this av

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

lots of touhous are literal objects. kogasa's an umbrella.

i dont even care about the horse show btw we're just having a back and forth here, do not think i am insulting you in any way.

She's not named Umbrella though.

She's named Little Umbrella.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

She's not named Umbrella though.

She's named Little Umbrella.
medicine melancholy

edit: i just realized how many touhou names fall under the 'object + emotion/state of mind' pattern

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm assuming Uma Musume won't have the girls play a game of Horse so already not anime of the season cause of that

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

drat that's one nice av though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best touhou character is the rich girl and her broke sister and im sad they were introduced after touhou kinda lost a lot of its popularity

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in a just world there'd be a joon business simulator where the goal is to bilk all the touhous out of their money

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Endorph posted:

medicine melancholy

edit: i just realized how many touhou names fall under the 'object + emotion/state of mind' pattern

I mean, they were all kind of named by a drunk guy...

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Touhou hasn't actually lost any popularity, it's mostly just that its audience has slowly shifted downward in age
Kids are super into the series this days, especially girls. It rules because it's basically the audience it should have, it's great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Touhou hasn't actually lost any popularity, it's mostly just that its audience has slowly shifted downward in age
Kids are super into the series this days, especially girls. It rules because it's basically the audience it should have, it's great.

yeah but kids dont make doujin games!!

but im glad kids are into it, it's super well suited to little girls being into it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh I forgot I played that touhou action rpg thing that came out a few years ago because someone said it was a bit like Ys. Scarlet Grace?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

yeah but kids dont make doujin games!!

but im glad kids are into it, it's super well suited to little girls being into it.

Isn't the plot of every touhou that they're a bunch of stupid assholes? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but perhaps not the best role models for the children.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

ur stupid

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

and i AM insulting u

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

chumbler posted:

Isn't the plot of every touhou that they're a bunch of stupid assholes? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but perhaps not the best role models for the children.

Not a single Touhou character is a good role model. That's one of its best features and it wears this fact on its sleeve

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well that makes a change

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

chumbler posted:

Real life is filled with stupid assholes though

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Not a single Touhou character is a good role model. That's one of its best features and it wears this fact on its sleeve
yeah. and they're bad in a cartoonish way, not in a creepy way.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Cirno is the best role model.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
(posted first in the Anime chat thread, but I might delete that)

Anyone interested in an Aikatsu Friends/General Aikatsu thread?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
So... why did they just leave an annotation from the concept art in the finished background for Megalobox?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm the english annotation in the japanese animation

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hargrimm posted:

So... why did they just leave an annotation from the concept art in the finished background for Megalobox?

Some graffiti artists thought it was very important that viewers flying overhead know that the road is two lane "cracked" blacktop.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Please take three minutes out of your day to watch this cute little show about people chatting while waiting for trains to pass.
https://files.catbox.moe/9zOsTu.webm
Apparently it's also on Crunchy under the name Crossing Time

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's a strong start.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Hargrimm posted:

lol

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Schneider Heim posted:

(posted first in the Anime chat thread, but I might delete that)

Anyone interested in an Aikatsu Friends/General Aikatsu thread?

I try https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836202&pagenumber=6#post482959294

but I should probably get Matoi to rename the thread at some point. Though a separate Aikatsu one is fine too.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Someone else could probably do a better write-up on Aikatsu than me though.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Hargrimm posted:

Lmao

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Megalobox owned that first episode wow! I can't wait to see more.

Golden Kamuy seems like it is interesting and has some cool plot stuff going on. CG bear looked real bad, but otherwise I liked it.

Mahou Shoujo Ore sucked terribly and didn't even do their gimmick well.

Space Battleship Tiramisu continues to be top tier drat. rip space puppy :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Hargrimm posted:

idk but I like it when there’s text that looks like it’s “in world” but is obviously for the viewers so I can dig this

• Locked thread