Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Ironslave posted:

I, too, enjoy being judgemental of the way people I don't know have fun socializing and playing games.

As long as everybody is having fun, the game is being run correctly.

Too many people believe everyone else should play the game exactly like they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Got my C20 in the mail. It isn’t as tall as the others, surprisingly.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Xinder posted:

As long as everybody is having fun, the game is being run correctly.

Too many people believe everyone else should play the game exactly like they do.

Well, like, you could be having fun, but be having more fun if a certain rule was in play or followed. Like, (to use a non-tabletop example) there were people that didn't mind driving the Mako in Mass Effect 1, even enjoyed it, but they thought it as a bit tedious and the whole time they didn't realise it had a powerful cannon as well as a machine gun.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Xiahou Dun posted:

You seem cool and good but are you time-traveling from 1998?

no but thank you for complimenting my John Titor cosplay

Xiahou Dun posted:

Like I reward players for bringing snacks by saying, "O hey Adam I see you made those wonderful ham and cheese croissants , those are always a hit" instead of in-game power upgrades. And then we have a beer. Maybe a hug????

Like we're all pretending to be wizards or whatever together and if I have to use in-game currency to get them involved then why the gently caress am I making chili and having you folks over.

This just seems like geek social fallacies.

I use this system for this group because they're all new to roleplaying and it fits the chronicle setting. I wouldn't use this if we were running Mage because it would make everyone demigods but we're not running Mage. The characters are all balanced against each other and the world still presents challenges they have to think and work to overcome.
If they were invulnerable blood-tanks you'd have a point but the chronicle just needs this kind of power curve. Plus we're only meeting biweekly so it'd take several months of in-game roleplaying to get the XP for something like Path of Conjuring 4, which just enables you to unmake anything from Path of Conjuring 1-3. Thaumaturgy is weird.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think his point was that giving out XP for food is weird; you can set the XP threshold wherever you want and not have it be tied to food. You could just double all XP awards.

I remember when a LARP I was in offered 1 XP for bringing food. The gifts were so overwhelming that they changed the rule to "only top three people will get food XP" which was the rapid backslide into bribery for XP. TT games are of course different.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Oh it's absolutely weird, I'm not denying that, but so far it hasn't been as unbalancing as I'd expected. Not all the players have taken advantage of it, and those that have don't go overboard. Because these are new players, I'm using XP as a prompt to think about how they can get more involved in the game. More experienced players with a better idea of character optimizing, yes they'd wring this system for all it's worth, but that hasn't been an issue yet.

edit- So, the V20 Black Hand book includes a brief description of a Tal'Mahe'Rah cult known as the "Adoptive Childer of Malakai," referencing a theoretical sister to Malkav, even more insane than her brother. They're a plot point in my game so I designed some Malkavian Thaumaturgy which might be useful in-game. What do y'all think of this one:

Ants in your Pants, Bug in your Butt (lv 2 ritual)

Favored by insectiphiles and the eternally puerile, Bug in your Butt allows the thaumaturge to develop a nesting cavity within their own bodies for their (hopefully non-human) ghouls.

System: Obviously, space constraints are a major consideration here. At the conclusion of the ritual, the ghouls physically chew themselves a nesting space in the body part of their choice, inflicting anywhere from one point of aggravated damage for a swarm of insects, to two points of aggravated for a rat, all the way to a theoretical maximum of 5 points for a wolf or large dog. For a good approximation, each point in the ghoul’s blood pool equates to one level of damage.
Exceptionally large characters could theoretically accommodate larger ghouls. Each point of damage inflicted restores one point of the ghoul’s blood pool, bypassing the normal 50% maximum concentration rule. Furthermore, any ghoul resting in its master is immune to negative environmental effects, including supernatural effects like the Shadowlands.
Bystanders can attempt a Perception+Alertness (or Awareness, diff 7-damage levels inflicted) roll to discern that something unusual is happening, opposed by Manipulation+Subterfuge, difficulty 5+damage levels inflicted.
This ritual can be cast on a restrained, unwilling target, but the target can resist each level of damage by rolling Stamina+Fortitude, opposed by Strength+Brawl.
Obviously, use of this ritual on unwilling targets should result in the potential loss of Humanity, barring extremely eventuating circumstances. On the other hand, this ritual is a favorite of Lilin seeking to inform ungrateful men of the myriad sacrifices of motherhood.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 8, 2018

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Is it just me or are Nameless kinda boned if they're not part of a mystery cult?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Terratina posted:

Is it just me or are Nameless kinda boned if they're not part of a mystery cult?

Depends. Both on what you mean by "boned" and the Nameless in question, because that is an extremely broad term that covers everything from random hermits who don't even know there is a magical society to ancient and powerful atlantean Orders who just refuse to submit to the Pentacle.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Terratina posted:

Yes, they are.

Amazingly, rejecting or not having the opportunity to be trained by a millenia-old society of your kind, to have access to records of past Obsessions and Mysteries, and to not reinvent the wheel a million times over has consequences. If anything, they're not harsh *enough*.

I dictated that Nameless would be playable. I also dictated that there's a reason most mages are in an Order.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Back in high school (like fifteen years ago) I'd give extra XP to my players for doing my homework and I have no regrets from that methodology.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

While they aren't as hosed as Ghost Wolves, they certainly face harsher penalties than not joining a vampire covenant or being a demon without an Agenda.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

While they aren't as hosed as Ghost Wolves, they certainly face harsher penalties than not joining a vampire covenant or being a demon without an Agenda.

Demon always seems interesting as hell, what's lacking an agenda do?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

xanthan posted:

Gives you a less useful "agenda" condition that lets you pick an agenda.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

xanthan posted:

Having an agenda gets you a Condition that gives a beat if you do a thing and can be resolved for a (usually quite niche) bonus. Not having one gives you a different Condition that awards xp.under slightly more restrictive conditions and no resolution bonus. Plus not having the narrative advantage of being able to maybe touch base with other like-minded demons.

So it's pretty much just worse, but not by a lot.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think I’ve solved the party-always-succeeding-every-roll-ever-thanks-to-Fate-magic problem by reminding players that if they never fail, they can never opt for dramatic failures, which are one of the primary drivers of XP. Now I just need to figure out how to put enough plot in front of them that they’ll switch their Aspirations from “see a ghost” and “pick a lock” to more interesting things that have more immediate impact on the plot...

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

blastron posted:

I think I’ve solved the party-always-succeeding-every-roll-ever-thanks-to-Fate-magic problem by reminding players that if they never fail, they can never opt for dramatic failures, which are one of the primary drivers of XP. Now I just need to figure out how to put enough plot in front of them that they’ll switch their Aspirations from “see a ghost” and “pick a lock” to more interesting things that have more immediate impact on the plot...

I would advice against too many Aspirations that tie too directly into the plot. It's boring, and also tends to leave you starved for beats since you're now at the mercy of where the story goes - or, more pertinently, doesn't go.

What I've found to work well is more generic character/story beats. "Show restraint", "lash out", "save the day", that kind of thing. It's general enough to slot into most any session while still offering ideas and character development.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Unless an uratha outranks a spirit, they only do bashing damage with fangs and claws, right? What about in garou form?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Soonmot posted:

Unless an uratha outranks a spirit, they only do bashing damage with fangs and claws, right? What about in garou form?

Always Lethal with bite. Bashing with everything else. Once you're two ranks higher, you act as bane, and your natural weapons do Aggravated. That's across the spectrum and forms (you may have a Gift that gives you a special distinction though).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Does the "Gauru Biting with intent to swallow deals aggravated" thing apply to spirits as well?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Kurieg posted:

Does the "Gauru Biting with intent to swallow deals aggravated" thing apply to spirits as well?

Nah only humans (and some human-like things), werewolves, and I think wolves. Spirits aren't as dependent on their physical form and internal systems.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Huh, I thought spirits counted because you were tearing away their essence?

I also found out that the way I thought armor worked was partially wrong. I thought that ballistic canceled out only firearms damage, general canceled out everything else. RAW states that ballistic downgrades to bashing.

What is also messing me up is that it seems after you downgrade the ballistic, you can apply the general to the rest of the damage. Game example is currently armored form werewolf gets hit with 6 lethal damage from a materialized spirit that had razor blade claws. The woof had 2/2 armor, so he should take 4 damage since it's a melee attack.

If he were shot for 6L. Would he take 2B 2L as the ballistic downgrades 2 and the general soaks 2. Or 4L add the ballistic downgrades 2 and the general soaks those 2B since the rest of the lethal is still ballistic?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

General armor soaks more severe damage before less severe, so he would take 2B 2L.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Soonmot posted:

Huh, I thought spirits counted because you were tearing away their essence?

Nah, you need a bane for that. It disrupts their ephemera, I think is the explanation. Aggravated damage [i]also[i] destroys Essence, so it pays to have a bane, but it's the result of the Agg damage, as opposed to the reason for it (as far as I know). You might be able to get a special power that does it but it's basically replicating bane damage.

quote:

I also found out that the way I thought armor worked was partially wrong. I thought that ballistic canceled out only firearms damage, general canceled out everything else. RAW states that ballistic downgrades to bashing.

What is also messing me up is that it seems after you downgrade the ballistic, you can apply the general to the rest of the damage. Game example is currently armored form werewolf gets hit with 6 lethal damage from a materialized spirit that had razor blade claws. The woof had 2/2 armor, so he should take 4 damage since it's a melee attack.

Huh learn something new every day, I obviously haven't played around with armor enough.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017

nofather posted:

Always Lethal with bite. Bashing with everything else.

Is this spelled out somewhere? The "Predator's Jaws" sidebar only notes that the bite counts as a mystical source of harm to foes that "are vulnerable to such sources" (vampires as the obvious example.) As far as I know, manifest spirits only take bashing harm unless hit with their bane, with no exceptions for "mystical" sources?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Five Eyes posted:

Is this spelled out somewhere? The "Predator's Jaws" sidebar only notes that the bite counts as a mystical source of harm to foes that "are vulnerable to such sources" (vampires as the obvious example.) As far as I know, manifest spirits only take bashing harm unless hit with their bane, with no exceptions for "mystical" sources?

That was how I read it too, but now I ruled that their teeth always do lethal. It makes sense that all werewolves are at least deadly to a spirit even without possessing their bane, so I'm fine with that ruling.

Back to armor though. So general armor will soak bullet damages, a leather jacket with 0 ballistic/1 general will make the 6L gun shot 5L? Or is it only armor that has a ballistic rating that can use general to soak firearm damage?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Back to armor though. So general armor will soak bullet damages, a leather jacket with 0 ballistic/1 general will make the 6L gun shot 5L? Or is it only armor that has a ballistic rating that can use general to soak firearm damage?

Ballistic armor reduces points of lethal damage from firearms to bashing. That's all it does. You don't need any ballistic armor to apply general armor against a gunshot.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So a leather jacket will soak bullet damage? That's what I'm hung up on.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So the Prime 2 sample rote Words of Truth is basically a "you can trust what I'm saying" spell - you cast the spell on yourself and then you speak, and as long as you speak what you consider to be the objective truth, everyone around you recognises it.

I assume that Adepts of Prime and up can cast that on other people, or scale up the effect, too.

Doesn't this make Consilium 'court proceedings' and finding out who a hidden mole or criminal is a lot easier?

It's a condition of showing up to Consilium that you get Words of Truth cast on you and say "Since I last did this, I haven't, to my knowledge, broken any Consilium laws. I also haven't done any fuckery to get around this statement."
Anyone whose words don't 'ring with truth' gets treated as a criminal. Anyone who doesn't show up to a scheduled meeting becomes extremely suspicious.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

bewilderment posted:

So the Prime 2 sample rote Words of Truth is basically a "you can trust what I'm saying" spell - you cast the spell on yourself and then you speak, and as long as you speak what you consider to be the objective truth, everyone around you recognises it.

I assume that Adepts of Prime and up can cast that on other people, or scale up the effect, too.

Doesn't this make Consilium 'court proceedings' and finding out who a hidden mole or criminal is a lot easier?

It's a condition of showing up to Consilium that you get Words of Truth cast on you and say "Since I last did this, I haven't, to my knowledge, broken any Consilium laws. I also haven't done any fuckery to get around this statement."
Anyone whose words don't 'ring with truth' gets treated as a criminal. Anyone who doesn't show up to a scheduled meeting becomes extremely suspicious.

It's potent, but
A. it's entirely possible to make a fake Words of Truth with higher Prime mastery.
B. Plenty of wizards are going to have reason to not want truth spells to be considered acceptable except in extreme situations; for one thing, it's entirely possible any given wizard's broken Consilium rules at least once in the past month or so. A Consilium where most mages expect to never break Consilia rules has really loose rules, tbqh.
C. It's most useful to people trying to prove their innocence, and can be disregarded or undermined with other spells as noted. So it's not a sure bet.

But yeah, I've been meaningfully concerned that my players were going to explode a tense political game by just standing up and shouting BY THE POWER OF SUPERNAL TRUTH, THAT rear end in a top hat IS STEALING SOULS and let come what may.
The big event after that is the Consilium fracturing around people who are more willing to believe Truth was falsified than that their ally steals souls, and around the soul-stealers calling for Nemesis and/or just acting directly, as would their allies.

Bringing the revelation down like that absolutely puts things out in the open, and I imagine that leads quickly to magical duels and feuding. It's a great spell, I love it.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Five Eyes posted:

It's not, but discussion with devs on the OPP forums has confirmed that the intention is that if it's alive animate, a werewolf can kill destroy it. The sidebar is just really poorly worded.

Soonmot posted:

So a leather jacket will soak bullet damage? That's what I'm hung up on.

WoD is not a simulationist game, and its combat rules are particularly nonsensical. Other highlights include: in a fight between an unarmed person and a person with a spear, the unarmed person is more likely to get the first hit; trying to wrestle the knife from an assailant is almost completely safe; chainsaws are effective melee weapons; stab wounds heal in a matter of days without medical intervention.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Terrorforge posted:

WoD is not a simulationist game, and its combat rules are particularly nonsensical. Other highlights include: in a fight between an unarmed person and a person with a spear, the unarmed person is more likely to get the first hit; trying to wrestle the knife from an assailant is almost completely safe; chainsaws are effective melee weapons; stab wounds heal in a matter of days without medical intervention.

I'd always ruled that general armour didn't protect against firearms unless it's mystical. I had zero idea this wasn't correct.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Here's the relevant passage from the Chronicles 2e rulebook:

Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook, p. 94 "Armor" posted:

Ballistic armor applies to incoming firearms attacks. Each point of ballistic armor downgrades one point of damage from lethal to bashing.
General armor applies to all attacks. Each point of general armor reduces the total damage taken by one point, starting with the most severe type of damage.

If armor has both ballistic and general ratings, apply the ballistic armor first.
When applying armor to an attack dealing lethal damage, the character always takes at least one point of bashing damage from the shock of the blow.

A heavy leather jacket would probably be reinforced clothing, which gives 1 general armor. Firearms weapons almost always have at least a +1 weapon rating, meaning if you get shot and the leather jacket is your only protection, you're still guaranteed to take at least one point of lethal damage, because the attack will deal at least the attacker's successes +1 in lethal damage.

Still not realistic, no, but if you're trying to wrap your head around what that represents narratively, it slowed the impact slightly but you're still bleeding, or the bible in your shoulder pocket partially stopped the blow or something, or the shot gave you a grazing cut and tore your jacket sleeve.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 10, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I Am Just a Box posted:

Here's the relevant passage from the Chronicles 2e rulebook:

A heavy leather jacket would probably be reinforced clothing, which gives 1 general armor. Firearms weapons almost always have at least a +1 weapon rating, meaning if you get shot and the leather jacket is your only protection, you're still guaranteed to take at least one point of lethal damage, because the attack will deal at least the attacker's successes +1 in lethal damage.

Still not realistic, no, but if you're trying to wrap your head around what that represents narratively, it slowed the impact slightly but you're still bleeding, or the bible in your shoulder pocket partially stopped the blow or something, or the shot gave you a grazing cut and tore your jacket sleeve.
"Good thing I had all these copies of Shonen Jump stuffed into my jacket."

Does NWoD in general move away from the OWoD "firearms are a solution to most non-ephemeral supernatural problems" a lot? This really stood out to me with Scion 2E's wound conditions, and I'm not sure if this is leading the zeitgeist or trailing the genre.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Nessus posted:

"Good thing I had all these copies of Shonen Jump stuffed into my jacket."

Does NWoD in general move away from the OWoD "firearms are a solution to most non-ephemeral supernatural problems" a lot? This really stood out to me with Scion 2E's wound conditions, and I'm not sure if this is leading the zeitgeist or trailing the genre.

Not really? Guns are less effective against many gribblies than against humans obviously, but so are all weapons and guns are generally the most powerful weapons available.

But of course it's not in the nature or interest of most monsters to challenge commando squads to open battle, nor is a crateful of assault rifles something the average PC can just buy on vampire eBay.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what can one buy on vampire ebay

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tollymain posted:

what can one buy on vampire ebay
Lilith's tampons. Authentic Noddist scriptures. Idiosyncratic Malkavian black and white films. The severed ghouled head of Keith Moon.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tickets for baby vs dog.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
My new character, the BvD ticket scalper.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Nessus posted:

Lilith's tampons. Authentic Noddist scriptures. Idiosyncratic Malkavian black and white films. The severed ghouled head of Keith Moon.

My next character concept is literally just “a Ventrue who owns Airwolf” now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice, everyone!