Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Are the events going to be every weekend now?

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Crossbows only

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
On weekends, WTFmoses does custom games like crossbows only. He lets subs in first, then non subs to fill out the ranks. I think my favorite mode is Winchester only.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

BCRock posted:

My favorite is the "all I have is a pistol/shotgun/uzi so there's nothing I can possibly do to help you right now!!" response.

I love the "I'm 2/2 and have an m16 but no red dot so I'm afraid there is nothing I can do".

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 10, 2018

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is the discord in op gone? It was just a bunch of non-english channels?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Sylink posted:

yes vulgar sold out when he made it big

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Sylink posted:

Man is your only experience with Mexican food Taco Bell?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

VulgarandStupid posted:

They are both used the same way.

Thats a weird civvy way to hold an m4 with your left thumb on top of the barrel. I dont think many military guys hold it like that, its normally straight on the grip.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

VulgarandStupid posted:

They are both used the same way.

Apart from the thumb, your examples are consistent with what I've seen in the game - but holding the vertical grip like that was (apparently) listed as a bug in March! :iiam:

https://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/topic/172144-known-issues-updated-04062018/ posted:

Archives Known Issues List 03/16/2018
* The animation for grabbing angled and vertical foregrip is the same

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

patonthebach posted:

Thats a weird civvy way to hold an m4 with your left thumb on top of the barrel. I dont think many military guys hold it like that, its normally straight on the grip.

Got a buddy in the military who swears by thumb-over-bore. He's also a bit of a mall ninja and mostly carries an Austeyr though, so

hawowanlawow posted:

man AR family rifles are ugly

Only the really tacticool ones. For example-

:perfect:

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I always use angled because its easier to control vertical recoil. Just pull down on the mouse! Its harder to control horizontal recoil which is why I want to mitigate it as much as possible.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VulgarandStupid posted:

Whenever I leave my Ivory Tower, there's always dudes who are still looting and calling out foregrips and level 1 backpacks when I'm fighting a team by myself. I mean, generally, when a teammate calls out "there's 3 guys around me" you should probably try to get line of sight to your teammate's building.

i hate this poo poo, yesterday, two team mates down, me and one other dude left fighting in severny. This dude is like "I need a gun". I'm like, "I just killed like three dudes over here and they all have guns" and he runs unarmed to the other side of severny by himself complaining how he can't find a gun without even checking the buildings in betweeen. Then I see some dudes moving in on him and I tell him he's got a squad coming to kill him and he runs away again says, "we gotta get out of here, I don't have anything" hops in a car and promptly gets shot to death. These two guys moving in on him both go to loot him standing still so I killed them and when I checked his body he had weapons. He must have just been one of those "I CAN ONLY FIGHT IF I HAVE THE ITEMS SHROUD USES" types.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i hate this poo poo, yesterday, two team mates down, me and one other dude left fighting in severny. This dude is like "I need a gun". I'm like, "I just killed like three dudes over here and they all have guns" and he runs unarmed to the other side of severny by himself complaining how he can't find a gun without even checking the buildings in betweeen. Then I see some dudes moving in on him and I tell him he's got a squad coming to kill him and he runs away again says, "we gotta get out of here, I don't have anything" hops in a car and promptly gets shot to death. These two guys moving in on him both go to loot him standing still so I killed them and when I checked his body he had weapons. He must have just been one of those "I CAN ONLY FIGHT IF I HAVE THE ITEMS SHROUD USES" types.

or he's just a troll

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I wish these people would go play Escape from Tarkov or some other inventory management simulator.

PUBG is about making do with what you have, that's what sets it apart from other shooters.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

is Erangel even a map anymore, I've done close to a dozen solo matches in the last day or two and each and every time has been in the fuckin desert

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It's kind of analogous to playing Mortal Kombat because you want to do Fatalaties.

patonthebach posted:

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Apart from the thumb, your examples are consistent with what I've seen in the game - but holding the vertical grip like that was (apparently) listed as a bug in March! :iiam:

Thumb over bore is super common and as its probably the best way to combat muzzle climb. In fact, AFGs are made specifically for thumb over bore.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'll complain about my guns early on, but it doesn't ever stop me from being on the attack when enemies are close. And I won't complain while the action is happening.

I had a 250m red dot headshot on Miramar yesterday because I was without a god drat scope for the first 15 minutes. That was satisfying.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I only complain when there really are no guns

Had one match yesterday, five houses and one 1911. The loot in this game is a little too random sometimes.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I ran into this pro snake yesterday in a 1v1 and finished him. https://pubg.op.gg/user/TedStriker?server=na

I threw three nades to hopefully move him out of the area, and it worked.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

daslog posted:

On weekends, WTFmoses does custom games like crossbows only. He lets subs in first, then non subs to fill out the ranks. I think my favorite mode is Winchester only.

Winchester, revolver, grandpa shotgun only weeked!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/TheMarkyX/status/983698468500856832?s=19

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

this feels like the bethesda scrolls thing where they have to do stuff like this or when a legitimate case comes along they have/don't have precedent

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Here's a spreadsheet you guys can commit to memory and talk about instead of just learning to play the game:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
drat, I didn't realize the mini was such a laser. I don't use it that often so maybe that's why. AWM laser is the best laser.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
The mini bullet velocity always seems so slow to me. IDGI.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

that's... that's not the argument they're making. at all. that twitter person is a loving idiot and needs to stop talking.

they're not claiming they invented loving med kits, they're claiming that this ROS game is directly copying the implementation of medkits they used with 3 "tiers", bandage, first aid, and medkit. they're not claiming they invented SMGs, they're claiming that this KO game did incredibly half-assed edits of their models (that "MP5" is literally just the PUBG UMP9 with a bunch of bits hacked off it)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

that's... that's not the argument they're making. at all. that twitter person is a loving idiot and needs to stop talking.

they're not claiming they invented loving med kits, they're claiming that this ROS game is directly copying the implementation of medkits they used with 3 "tiers", bandage, first aid, and medkit. they're not claiming they invented SMGs, they're claiming that this KO game did incredibly half-assed edits of their models (that "MP5" is literally just the PUBG UMP9 with a bunch of bits hacked off it)

But their guns are named after real guns and those models, in general, are what those guns look like.

The method of using that exact same tiered health system (with same terms for all of them and they do the same thing) seems a bit dumb. They even have a "Sports Drink" that restores health over time and gives you a movement speed boost.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm pretty sure that MP5 is its own model, and the Uzi definitely is. Besides, didn't PUBG just buy all its assets online anyway?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the argument in the lawsuit is that the elements collectively add up to the game being a knockoff, with some of the elements obviously being weaker examples than others but still adding up to the whole

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah, it honestly sounds like a totally fair lawsuit and i'm really stunned at how this is being received by the PUBG community when going after hilariously awful knockoffs would be applauded in any other situation.

like, they're not going after Fortnite even though a lot of their complaints apply to that game too. they're going after the games that are basically asset flips.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Other games have used 3 tiered med kits of bandages, first aid, and medkits. There are other games that also use pain killers and energy drinks to boost health/speed.

The UMP9 is a Heckler and Koch UMP in 9mm, the MP5 is a Heckler and Koch MP5-k without a VFG. The PUGB uzi is an IMI Micro Uzi and the other is an IMI Uzi. Almost all games base their guns on real firearms with different names to avoid paying royalties.

All that being said sure its a knock off game but those are bad examples.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

JEEVES420 posted:

All that being said sure its a knock off game but those are bad examples.
Pretty much where I am. Like, I'll shed no tears if whatever game that is gets taken down, but I'm also not going to not laugh at those pictures.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

These 4 funniest images from a hundred plus page lawsuit probably don't represent the overall argument very well.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

cargohills posted:

These 4 funniest images from a hundred plus page lawsuit probably don't represent the overall argument very well.

Of course, it's just funny.

Chasing down them for the general idea of a battle royale style game is absurd. They may as well go back and sue DayZ at that point. It is more of a question how the nitty gritty details pan out and if they are far too similar.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Is it illegal to make knock off games now or something? What bar has to be met to make any of that add up to something that is illegal or an infringement?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It's not really all that funny.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ashrik posted:

Is it illegal to make knock off games now or something? What bar has to be met to make any of that add up to something that is illegal or an infringement?

- Copyright infringement has always been illegal
- That's up for a judge & jury to decide

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The lawsuit is probably frivolous, but you gotta file them. Its like Samsung and Apple you gotta keep firing at eachother, hopefully one judge halts sales for a certain period of time until another one turns it over.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ashrik posted:

Bluehole's drawn the line that if your game has substantive differences from PUBG or does something new with the formula (i.e. Fortnite, Dying Light BR, ARK BR), you're good, but if your game is literally just a direct clone of PUBG they will try to full-force gently caress you. I don't know if the law will draw the line in the same place, but that's their intent, at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ashrik posted:

The short answer is this:

Rex-Goliath posted:

- Copyright infringement has always been illegal
- That's up for a judge & jury to decide

Though in this particular case if you read the brief, it's basically the sum of all of the PUBG components (which they each claim are "individually copyrightable") composing one big thing that they're claiming copyright on. Basically, they're saying any other game that has all of these:

- pre-game lobby where you can interact with others/the map
- air jump
- boostable health (though this is in a section titled "character attributes" which is disingenuous)
- looting of equipment
- moddable weapons
- area-specific damage
- air drops
- red zones (lol)
- shrinking circle
- a frying pan (lol)

is likely just a ripoff of PUBG. Which, in aggregate, I agree with 100%. And if you look at the evidence, it's pretty compelling. Some of the game areas are pretty similar and are almost direct ripoffs. Some of the building models are also almost direct ripoffs. And a lot of the conceptual stuff is definitely direct ripoff. Any single instance of these would be forgivable but added all together seems like a pretty compelling if not easily winnable case.

e: I mean for crying out loud the game they're suing over literally says "Winner winner chicken dinner" on the victory screen too