Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Prester Jane posted:

In my opinion we seriously need Christians (esp evangelicals) to start calling out Christian dominionism and announcing it in the public sphere. Betsy DeVos is the tip of the spear for Evangelical/Diminionist political ambitions in this country and is actively remaking American Education to be in the image of her twisted view of what Christianity is. We desperately need Christians to start standing up and challenging what Evangelicals/Dominionists are doing to children in the name of their twisted concept of God.

They do, no-one cares, because a nice priest saying "Let's all be reasonable" isn't media-interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Prester Jane posted:

In my opinion we seriously need Christians (esp evangelicals) to start calling out Christian dominionism and announcing it in the public sphere. Betsy DeVos is the tip of the spear for Evangelical/Diminionist political ambitions in this country and is actively remaking American Education to be in the image of her twisted view of what Christianity is. We desperately need Christians to start standing up and challenging what Evangelicals/Dominionists are doing to children in the name of their twisted concept of God.
That’s not happening. They seized on their chance to get on the Trump Train since he has actually pretended to care about their causes. They will go down with him.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Isnt there some Armageddon Tin Foil Hat dude that keeps "predicting" the end of the world but when it never happens its always because he claims to have "got the maths wrong"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

Isnt there some Armageddon Tin Foil Hat dude that keeps "predicting" the end of the world but when it never happens its always because he claims to have "got the maths wrong"

I believe there may be one or two or a billion of those dudes

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Fallom posted:

I believe there may be one or two or a billion of those dudes

I meant like one that keeps getting on news shows and stuff.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah, Reverend Richard Wayne Gary Wayne of Indiana

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Prester Jane posted:

That's the problem with dominionists though, they actively want to destroy the (already blurry) line between church and state. I think it's important that said dipshittery gets called out explicitly, render unto Caesar...
The last thing we need is more churches in the political game.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Crow Jane posted:

Yeah, Reverend Richard Wayne Gary Wayne of Indiana

He must have been letting Kimmy handle the calculations

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CyberPingu posted:

If there's a buck to be made off running a cult you'll find someone doing this.

So forever really.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

He must have been letting Kimmy handle the calculations

I mean, "I guess I'm just bad at math" was his defense when he was on trial, and he would've gotten away with it if it weren't for that meddling Kimmy :argh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CyberPingu posted:

This is every cult that has ever predicted an exact date for the end of the world, ever, going back literal centuries

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Hamm
Hogg

loving liberals and their porcine deepstate hollywood crisis actors! :freep:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Arist posted:

This is every cult that has ever predicted an exact date for the end of the world, ever, going back literal centuries

You can read "when prophecy fails" for an example and a classic sociology text in one.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

KickerOfMice posted:

Hamm
Hogg

loving liberals and their porcine deepstate hollywood crisis actors! :freep:

Does it still count as deepstate if you like, win Emmys?

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think my brain constructed it like a back prediction to a known fact. Like it wasn't true because a ghost predicted it, it was true and then additionally it was spooky that a ghost had predicted it in 1890 or whatever. Like I knew MAD and the USSR and the cold war was real so clearly this 1996 thing was real too, and it's weird that additionally a ghost had known a hundred years before.

Ghosts know all kinds of stuff, it's true! :ghost: But that sounds a lot like the "this is a sure thing" thought process I had back then, too.

Young Freud posted:

That conspiracy theory documentary poo poo was everywhere in the '70s, and, by extension, '80s UHF television and cable.
And it was delivered by voices of authority, selling their own reputations for a quick buck, like Rod Serling and Orson Welles. I remember being freaked out for the longest time by a line in "The Man Who Saw Tomorrow " where there'd be a worldwide famine and cannibalism after Halley's Comet passed.

Yeah, the sad part is this was an actual like, history video that except for that one part was actually interesting - or I remember it being interesting at the time. We watched it in school and I was bewildered how little my classmates seemed to give a poo poo, but this was of course waaaay before anyone explained what anxiety or depression was to me, let alone that I had it and that it affected the way my brain works, significantly. Ah well, at least that's improved somewhat, with people actually talking about meds and therapy and coping mechanisms now.

brockan
Mar 9, 2014
https://twitter.com/stevenportnoy/status/983692944061468674?s=19

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Prester Jane posted:

Yeah, all those good Evangelical Christians in America :allears:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Wierd that all those people who instantly pegged Obama as the Antichrist are A-OK with Trump for some reason.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
^^^ It's funny because Trump fits the stereotype of an antichrist way more, including the blind devotion.

I remember there were idiots who were against Hillary because of her hawkish nature over the middle east and with Russia.

Boy, Trump is just the bastion of peace isn't he?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Plus I bet he found out they don't have taco bowls in Peru or Colombia.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

here we go

https://twitter.com/spettypi/status/983708526701924353?s=20

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BarbarianElephant posted:

They do, no-one cares, because a nice priest saying "Let's all be reasonable" isn't media-interesting.

Fred Slacktivist Clark is one of my regular reads, not least because he's a good reminder that there are good evangelicals, they're just less noisy than the awful ones.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Yeah, all those good Evangelical Christians in America :allears:

see above

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 10, 2018

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rachel Maddow is gonna need a second news studio at this point.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Alter Ego posted:

Rachel Maddow is gonna need a second news studio at this point.

We're going to need a second Yakko song by July

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CyberPingu posted:

in one of Paul's letters (in, you know, the Bible) he goes "look, guys, you know and I know that the Messiah's coming back within our lifetimes, but let's have some basic social responsibility and perform our daily tasks until then"

even if he's being a bit tongue-in-cheek, the people he was writing to / about definitely were not

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

morcant posted:

Ghosts know all kinds of stuff, it's true! :ghost: But that sounds a lot like the "this is a sure thing" thought process I had back then, too.

Like my brain split it weird. Like I understood ghosts were likely fake but I thought the event was real and known and the ghost part was just 'wow isn't that weird!" like if someone posted now that a ghost in 1600 had predicted 9/11/2001.

Like I distilled down my whole little kid understanding of the cold war into "Oh, it's a thing scheduled for 1996, I get it, that is weird a ghost would know" instead of me thinking a ghost was predicting it and the ghost was correct.

Like I read it as the ghost back predicting a thing that had already come to pass (the scheduling of nuclear war for 1996) instead of the ghosts prediction being the war.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

The best people, just the best. Everybody's talking about it. No chaos, just great energy.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/983706177048596480?s=20

In a just world, the religious right would never recover from this betrayal of every moral high ground they claimed to have

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Come on where are the tweets

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

canepazzo posted:

Speaking of :abuela:, this is hilarious:

https://twitter.com/politicalmiller/status/983690174415687680

I imagine Trump will withdraw Pompeo's nomination now.

you know what, good on him

he's garbage, but he's garbage that made a correct decision

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Mueller may report his findings just when the elections happen this year. That's probably when a Republican Congress would turn on him when all of Trumps other elected and successfully appointed officials or republican chosen men deliver any evidence from his own lawyers and teams that daddy touched the Russia hard. Because Congress critters, red or blue, have no loyalty except to themselves. If it is convenient - or in the case of a properly armed FBI bombshell being spiked just before an election, except this time its against Trump; well...

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

In a just world, the religious right would never recover from this betrayal of every moral high ground they claimed to have
The reason that religiosity in America is cratering is 2 reasons:

1. Their overall attitude towards gay people
2. Their reprehensible politics outside of that

The Southern Strategy has done more to destroy the American church than basically anything else. They're killing themselves.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

in one of Paul's letters (in, you know, the Bible) he goes "look, guys, you know and I know that the Messiah's coming back within our lifetimes, but let's have some basic social responsibility and perform our daily tasks until then"

even if he's being a bit tongue-in-cheek, the people he was writing to / about definitely were not

Jesus says himself that he doesn't know when he's coming back - only the Father knows. I've pulled a number of these types up short by telling them they think they're smarter than Jesus.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

I think somewhere someone mentioned the president is above the law and he took it literally and actually thinks it's illegal for him to be investigated.

I'm just waiting for the FBI to find the Kosst Amojan in Cohen's office so Hillary can remind Obama to take it with him when he tackles Trump into the fire cave.

trump isn't even a twentieth as cool as Gul Dukat

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/983409963317022722?s=20

:dogbutton:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

Is this raid the beginning of the end or the middle of the end? Can we have the end soon, please?

I think that it's basically the end of the beginning. It's worth reiterating how big a deal this raid was. As Trump's people put it: Cohen was just very publicly treated like a mob lawyer. Everyone involved knew this was going to be national news, reviewed personally by the President, and get attacked by his allies. They had an incredibly high bar to clear even if Trump wasn't involved, and when Trump is added into the mix, then jesus. Take Mueller out, he's already pissed off Trump as much as possible. The other people who signed off on this were:

1) Rosenstein, a Trump appointee who knows that Trump continually considers firing him
2) The head of the DOJ criminal division, likely a Trump appointee
3) The Trump-donor, Trump-appointed, former law partner of Rudy Guliani US Attorney for SDNY who is an interim appointee and almost assuredly will not get the official nomination now. Approving this basically cost him his job.
4) A federal magistrate judge and/or a federal district judge (usually magistrate judges handle search warrants, but they are legally speaking basically just assistants to the district court judge - in a case of this magnitude I think it's possible that the district court judge independently reviewed and signed off on this rather than rubber-stamp the magistrate judge decision).
5) Finally, I don't know how much the NY FBI was included in the decision making here vs. told yesterday morning, but if they were, it's worth reiterating that this office is reportedly very, very pro-Trump and repeatedly sought to sabotage the Clinton campaign and boost the Trump campaign.

I don't believe any of those people sign off on this without convincing themselves with the evidence they already have that they could convict Cohen of serious crimes. And I don't believe you get his communications with Trump without each one of those people also convincing themselves that (assuming Trump was a private citizen and could be prosecuted) that they'd convict him as well. And every one of those people knew they'd face substantial political blowback anyway, even if the search uncovered a literal dead body. And they all know the longer a gap between the search and when they bring whatever charges they're contemplating, the more severe that blowback gets and the more likely it is Trump manages to fire key people to try and derail it.

Trump just got treated like a mob boss, and his lawyer just got treated like a mob lawyer, very publicly, by a number of people who had every reason not to do that unless they could back it up. Some bad poo poo for Donald Trump is going to go down, and it's going to go down soon.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 10, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Mueller may report his findings just when the elections happen this year. That's probably when a Republican Congress would turn on him when all of Trumps other elected and successfully appointed officials or republican chosen men deliver any evidence from his own lawyers and teams that daddy touched the Russia hard. Because Congress critters, red or blue, have no loyalty except to themselves. If it is convenient - or in the case of a properly armed FBI bombshell being spiked just before an election, except this time its against Trump; well...

I'm not sure October is long enough for him to wrap up the investigation (seeing how wide it's gotten :stare: ) and frankly I'd rather he be a bit less easily accused of naked partisanship.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's always bizarre to me that "Evangelical" Christians point to Leviticus to condemn homosexuals but never pay attention to the OT stuff about immigrants and how they should be treated.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Kavros posted:

Related to which, my guiltiest food pleasure is red hot crunchy cheetos. I will eat them until I want to die.

Didn't that flavor get invented by a janitor at the company? I've never tried them, but it's a :3: story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm not sure October is long enough for him to wrap up the investigation (seeing how wide it's gotten :stare: ) and frankly I'd rather he be a bit less easily accused of naked partisanship.

Realistically it doesn't end until next year but boy it'd be cathartic and poetic if everything dropped right before the election.

• Locked thread