Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

prefect posted:

Dave's been tweeting horrific things from the Reagan administration the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure I want an extended look at that American nightmare. :ohdear:

:getin:

God I love seeing Reagan get destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MonsieurChoc posted:

:getin:

God I love seeing Reagan get destroyed.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I'm picking my way through the Eric Prince episode but I might need to take a raincheck on listening to this one in full. I did enough dives into Blackwater in college. loving war criminal deserves to die in The Hague.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm picking my way through the Eric Prince episode but I might need to take a raincheck on listening to this one in full. I did enough dives into Blackwater in college. loving war criminal deserves to die in The Hague.

It's a hard listen.
The hardest part for me is that very few people in the US seem to give a gently caress about this and/or actually support what these monsters are doing.

It's great that he does this, though. A lot more people will get to hear about this in a "fun" way.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

mrfart posted:

The hardest part for me is that very few people in the US seem to give a gently caress about this and/or actually support what these monsters are doing.

Anything dealing with Iraq makes me angry, because nobody gives a poo poo how poorly it was planned and executed, how it was essentially a way to drain public money to private interests, and how it destroyed our global credibility. Everyone associated with it, from Bush through the pentagon, through the executives of the mercenaries and poo poo contracting companies should be rotting in a cell guarded by blue helmets somewhere.

We also forget just how many absolutely crazy motherfuckers there were in the Bush admin. Joseph Schmitz is just one of a huge pool of unqualified/crazy people associated with the admin and the Iraq effort.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I found this last episode fascinating. It's some atrocious poo poo, but it's made me very curious about war profiteering and mercenaries throughout history. I'm no historian :dancarlin: but I always thought this stuff was more or less par for the course. Are there any podcasts that go more in depth about this subject in a historical sense?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

oh dope posted:

I found this last episode fascinating. It's some atrocious poo poo, but it's made me very curious about war profiteering and mercenaries throughout history. I'm no historian :dancarlin: but I always thought this stuff was more or less par for the course. Are there any podcasts that go more in depth about this subject in a historical sense?

War Nerd Radio isn't specifically dedicated to the subject, but it comes up from time to time. If you're into war history, it's a great choice.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I know I'm dumb/gullible: was he kidding about a 3 parter? Both outcomes seem plausible.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I assume he's kidding, that was pretty much the entirety of the Prince/Blackwater story.

Unless he's implying that the next two episodes are going to be even more grim and aggravating in a concerted effort to break Gareth's brain.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I’d bet the other 2 parts are just connected thematically, like Cheney/Haliburton and Bannon/Breitbart or something.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

oh dope posted:

Jeremy Scahill, who they brought up a couple times as one of the few journalists who talks about American mercenaries has a podcast called Intercepted which is very good

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 28, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Citations Needed by Adam Johnson and Nima Shirazi is also good and dope analysis of the American war propaganda mill

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Part 2 could be Prince's post Iraq adventures in Africa where he strapped machine guns and armor onto crop dusting planes for strafing insurgents.

Part 3 can be his sister joining the Trump admin while he allegedly advises Trump behind the scenes and does some weird backchannel poo poo with Russia and China.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Was listening to some repeats today and Oil Town's "mud hut eating bath tub chili" will never make me not laugh.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Okay, I usually don't get the running joke of incorrect pronunciations when it's a single vowel in a Western Australian town name. But these were especially bad:
Abu Dhabi (Ah-boo Dah-bee)
Uighur (We-ger)
Seychelles (Say-shells)

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

You should tweet that to Dave.

He definitely won't block you.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Have they ever covered the Haymarket massacre? And the anarchist who loved explosives so much he blew himself up while in prison? I really want to hear Gareth react to that.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Have they ever covered the Haymarket massacre? And the anarchist who loved explosives so much he blew himself up while in prison? I really want to hear Gareth react to that.

How would you feel about ... TWO GARRIES AND MATT FROM CHAPO TALKING ABOUT IT WHILE INSANELY HIGH?

https://player.fm/series/left-coast-1528758/e007-louis-linggs-exploding-head

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 1, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Okay, I usually don't get the running joke of incorrect pronunciations when it's a single vowel in a Western Australian town name. But these were especially bad:
Uighur (We-ger)
Seychelles (Say-shells)

Daavh ... Ant Honey

[crowd boos]

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
After the episode of the boat massacre last week, I remembered I once read an article were the air force was used to bomb strikers?
It's a vague memory, but I think that was the only time that ever happened in US history, and I wondered if they did a dollop about it?

edit:
I saw "the death of stalin" yesterday.
Imagine a Russian version of the dollop. Where to start.

Serf
May 5, 2011

mrfart posted:

After the episode of the boat massacre last week, I remembered I once read an article were the air force was used to bomb strikers?
It's a vague memory, but I think that was the only time that ever happened in US history, and I wondered if they did a dollop about it?

edit:
I saw "the death of stalin" yesterday.
Imagine a Russian version of the dollop. Where to start.

that would be the Battle of Blair Mountain and i don't think they've done an episode about it. they very much should, though, because its the sort of thing all this uber and blackwater poo poo is building up to

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Uighur (We-ger)
Seychelles (Say-shells)

I would have no idea how to pronounce those last two correctly if I read them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Peccadillo posted:

How would you feel about ... TWO GARRIES AND MATT FROM CHAPO TALKING ABOUT IT WHILE INSANELY HIGH?

https://player.fm/series/left-coast-1528758/e007-louis-linggs-exploding-head

*click*

I'll tell you about it super soon!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
It might not be for everyone given that it's live and James Adomian may interject a lot, but I think the 1906 Car Race Dollop is an all-timer. Half The Dollop, half radio play.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 10, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I think this ad campaign Dave is doing is getting increasingly targeted...though I'm glad I've never had the my lawyers office raided by the FBI.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is already shaping up to be a favorite.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

New episode rules. James Adomian is great.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Yeah James Adomian was really good. It was like a double dose of Gary.

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.
Only 10 minutes in and this is already the craziest episode since jetpack madness.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
This story is about a hair’s breadth away from being Hanna-Barbera Wacky Races.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's almost as great as the second Tour de France (the one where the first five participants were disqualified due to cheating).

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Adomian is perfect for the dollop, this is my favourite episode in a long time

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Also the best live episode in a long time, maybe ever.

Marlows
Nov 4, 2009

Martian Manfucker posted:

Adomian is perfect for the dollop, this is my favourite episode in a long time

Kind of. He's also legitimately disturbed and a conspiracy nut. Good episode but soured on it quickly after finding out more about him. Adomian's brain is another victim of 2016.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Marlows posted:

Kind of. He's also legitimately disturbed and a conspiracy nut. Good episode but soured on it quickly after finding out more about him. Adomian's brain is another victim of 2016.

Huh? Is he?

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
James Adomian is great, and this ep was well-suited for him. Impressionists can be exhausting after awhile (see: any podcast where Dana Carvey is the guest), but James didn't feel like he overstayed his welcome at all.

Why is he bad? Nothing of note comes up on the first page of Google results for "James Adomian" or "James Adomian" + conspiracy, and that's pretty mucb the extents of my research abilities.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Marlows posted:

I don't understand. Have you heard his Gorka? The guy has not been broken by 2016 -- he has been unleashed. :doom:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
adomian is hilarious but he was also a huge baby during the election when he got mad at snl for having Larry David play Bernie instead of him, since he seemed to think he had the worldwide exclusive rights to portray him or something

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Riptor posted:

adomian is hilarious but he was also a huge baby during the election when he got mad at snl for having Larry David play Bernie instead of him, since he seemed to think he had the worldwide exclusive rights to portray him or something

He was doing big special events and sell-out shows as the character, and Larry David's Bernie was Larry David talking about Bernie talking points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Yeah and larry david was a former snl writer who carried extra comedic meaning given his persona. There's arguments both ways but adomian acted like it was INSANE that anyone else dare play a public figure